Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

best outdoor foamie

Old 07-19-2007, 02:24 PM
gregziemba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best outdoor foamie

i was wounder your guys opinion on the best outdoor 3d foamie? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:12 PM
chazdraves

Default RE: best outdoor foamie

Airfoilz. I've flown in 25-30mph winds and still had a good time

- Chaz
Old 07-19-2007, 05:17 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

and what motor works best on it to i am listen. i have the qq yak with an outrunner 400 that i am enjoying; however, its the only foam plane i have had....
Old 07-19-2007, 05:37 PM
gregziemba

how durbo are they beacuse there alittle pricey
Old 07-19-2007, 08:21 PM
flyin_kid

Airfoilz are great!! They will stand up to slow speed smacks to the ground but like any other plane it wont last a full speed crash. Your getting quality for the price, and it flys like no other plane in its category!

Woody
Old 07-19-2007, 09:17 PM
3D-Flyer Kevin

Yep Airfoilz is simply the best IMHO. Just wish somebody would notify me back on an issue regarding joining the team.

Kevin
Old 07-19-2007, 09:27 PM
krayzc-RCU

what's the link?
Old 07-20-2007, 12:14 AM
blueline
My Feedback: (6)

I'm partial to this:
[link]http://e-foamies.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=40&osCsid=8083b71ee56402f0e48b5f26218d794d[/link]

I've had this for some time now and can attest to its durability, rock solid and light weight. Hope this helps with your decision.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:06 AM
chazdraves

http://www.airfoilz.com or http://www.3dxhobbies.com

Paul's a good guy (the owner) and he frequents these forums, so he's always available to help.

So far I've banked mine into a tree, slammed it into the pavement (from the tree ), and had a few rough landings, but most of the time I brush it off and launch again. They're not indestructible, but they're darn tough. They also fly better than any foamy I've seen. Which is to say, they're worth the bit extra.

Mine has a Torque 20T on it, and it will climb straight up until I get sick of watching.

Just my $.02,
- Chaz
Old 07-20-2007, 02:07 PM
3D-Flyer Kevin

Hmm..... I was wondering what motor to get next.......... What is you guy's favorite motor on 1320mah batteries?

Kevin
Old 07-20-2007, 02:28 PM
krayzc-RCU

Chaz tks
Old 07-20-2007, 11:17 PM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

Hacker 20-26 works well on a 1320 battery. Just a bit warm after flying a 11oz plane with a 10x4.7 sf. prop. Somewhere I think I read it gives 30oz of thrust on that combination.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:42 PM
3D-Flyer Kevin

O sorry I meant for airfoilz.

Kevin
Old 07-21-2007, 11:13 PM
krayzc-RCU

what makes the airfoilz stand out in you all minds over the other birds out there?
Old 07-22-2007, 06:39 AM
chazdraves

Well - regardless of some of the pictures on the site - they're a sharp looking bird, and the whole project is very well thought out. Parts are truly top-notch, and it really shows in the way it flies when fully assembled. They cost a bit more, but they are worth the extra. Actually, my Yak often handles wind better than some of the nitros at the field, heh. Besides, I think it says something about the company and the product if they managed to sell an avid heli-enthusiast (me) on their product so quickly. I never thought I'd touch a plane, but now I can only think about getting a matching Airfoilz Edge to sit along side my Yak.

Good luck!
- Chaz
Old 07-24-2007, 10:21 AM
TNTtrucks

Is it normal for companies like 3dx (http://www.3dxhobbies.com/) who is, unfortunately, the only dealer of airfoilz for the US, to wait 2-3 days before shipping your order? Even though you paid for expedited shipping? I only lost $18, but it was totally wasted with their 3 day delay in sending my order out, so the expedited shipping I paid for wasn't even viable? Cost me $18 for nothing! [:'(] It's not the money, it's the principal. If you're a drop shipper say so. Ordered on last Tue with 2/3 day shipping to make a fun fly that weekend. They didn't even ship until Friday and I just got the partial order on Monday.
Yep, all those 'in stock' items were NOT 'in stock', as I'm short the motor, esc, and a couple servo's. All of which I could have gotten somewhere else and on time for the fun fly. They said parts should be in this week (after calling on my dime) as an estimated delivery wasn't mentioned on my receipt, just 'backordered' hand written on it. The reason for being backordered on 'in stock' items, I was told, was their website doesn't keep up with actual stock levels, they check stock levels from their invoices. Oops, I fell for that 'in stock' on the website which still says 'in stock' btw.

I hope the plane exceeds where I had to buy it from! If it does, where can I get a 2nd? Singapore? UK? [sm=72_72.gif]
Old 07-24-2007, 05:41 PM
chazdraves

That's a bugger. I know Paul frequents these forums, maybe he can jump in and tell us what happened? He's usually very reliable - and he was for me.

- Chaz
Old 07-24-2007, 06:35 PM
AirforceRcks

Airfoilz FTW!!!!
they are amazing i have a yak 54.
i cartwheeled it earliar and not a scratch.

build it right and u will have thee (yes i said thee) best 3d foamy out there
Old 07-24-2007, 09:07 PM
TNTtrucks

Exactly AirforceRcks... FTW, and I could've been flying this super great plane a week earlier by ordering the 'parts' somewhere else, now I can't.
If your 'in-stock' graphic or text doesn't tie into a database of stock levels it's a gimmick, a falsehood, a lie. I don't mind waiting, if they're upfront about it, that wasn't my point. I think I'm just getting to old... but this web store stuff isn't rocket science either.

Doesn't matter, it's all going back for a new one. Both wings have multiple broken corners, still in the bag and one broken corner has been glued back, re-broken again, still in a sealed bag, so it was sent like this! Wow. I hope the 2nd kit is better?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

ORIGINAL: TNTtrucks

Is it normal for companies like 3dx (http://www.3dxhobbies.com/) who is, unfortunately, the only dealer of airfoilz for the US, to wait 2-3 days before shipping your order? Even though you paid for expedited shipping? I only lost $18, but it was totally wasted with their 3 day delay in sending my order out, so the expedited shipping I paid for wasn't even viable? Cost me $18 for nothing! [:'(] It's not the money, it's the principal. If you're a drop shipper say so. Ordered on last Tue with 2/3 day shipping to make a fun fly that weekend. They didn't even ship until Friday and I just got the partial order on Monday.
Yep, all those 'in stock' items were NOT 'in stock', as I'm short the motor, esc, and a couple servo's. All of which I could have gotten somewhere else and on time for the fun fly. They said parts should be in this week (after calling on my dime) as an estimated delivery wasn't mentioned on my receipt, just 'backordered' hand written on it. The reason for being backordered on 'in stock' items, I was told, was their website doesn't keep up with actual stock levels, they check stock levels from their invoices. Oops, I fell for that 'in stock' on the website which still says 'in stock' btw.

I hope the plane exceeds where I had to buy it from! If it does, where can I get a 2nd? Singapore? UK? [sm=72_72.gif]
I'm sorry but we have to we are a small company and with volume of orders, we need the extra time, UNLESS you put it in the notes at check-out. The same with the B/O, it's not possible to not over sell, and we many times are at the mercy of the vendors being out of stock. I try to make everyone happy but it's not always possible.
But hey that is whats forums are for to voice opinions and complaints to the point that you put a small AMERICAN company out of business.

Get in on the Bipe give-a-way here- http://www.airfoilz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310
Old 07-25-2007, 01:09 PM
TNTtrucks

Sorry you have reached a growth point of inefficiency. Without the plans for growth, staff, & infrastructure it can totally take you by surprise, which is a positive in the business aspect, but the customer aspect can have a different view of things. Like mine. To offer expedited shipping and not understand that your customer is wanting your product quickly, or by a pre-determined time that purchased shipping meets, just doesn't make sense to me? No offense meant to you. I would've added it to the notes if I would've known or it was mentioned on the site. Why else pay for the extra speedy shipping, when standard shipping is Free, unless I wanted it sent with extra speed? I'm not trying to tell anyone how to run a business, just reporting how my transaction went.
To that end, it's all taken care of! Things go wrong sometimes, although I think it could've been avoided by being more upfront, but it's been taken care of and that's the true measure of a company!
Paul has refunded my shipping cost; the rest of the back-ordered combo is shipping today, with new wings! I also bought an Edge540 kit so the wings don't get lonely. Just have to send the broken wings back and we're done.

Good customer service with the issues resolved, which many may think are pointless, so it's all good on this end!

I'm a Navy veteran (decorated and honorably discharged) so your AMERICAN comment hits home. I don't have blind patriotism sir, I've paid my dues, and what it is, is what it is. The country you reside in doesn't give you a free pass as a man or a company in my eyes. I've worked with Great Men and Women all over this earth, the name of the country on which soil we stood mattered not. You make your country, your country doesn't make you is my point.
Sorry you think my opinion carries so much power, but it doesn't, I'm a nobody, and I don't spend enough a year on RC to carry any company's books, even small ones. If a nobody's opinion and transaction foils your small company, I think it might be wise to look elsewhere for placing blame?

Take care and good luck to you, I'm sure we'll be needing more Airfoilz planes/parts! Thank you for your hard work to pleasing this old shellback. I can't wait for me and the lady to be dueling with the Airfoilz!
Old 07-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

I do have on all the Airfoilz ads that shipping is 1-3 days, and also it's stated on the main page "Due to the postal rate increase all free shipping orders will go out Parcel Post instead of Priority mail."I will try to make this clearer, but up until now it's not been a issue.
I listen to every customer and try to make things right even if it costs me money, (in most cases it does). I'm the manufacture and the reseller, and work very hard to make my customers happy. So things I can't change but will make every effort to make them better. For all the customers that have bought the plane 98% are return and regular customer so I think I'm doing a few things right.
My planes are habit forming so I know you will be back for more If you need anything else place email or call me.

Get in on the Bipe give-a-way here- http://www.airfoilz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310
Old 07-25-2007, 04:06 PM
3D-Flyer Kevin

I know I'll be buying more, and I thank you for your costumer service the decals worked out great!!!. The Edge is the best plane I have ever flown by far it has no flex and goes straight where you point it[8D]. So you can excpect me to buy another when this one hits the dust.

Kevin
Old 07-25-2007, 07:23 PM
TNTtrucks

I saw the shipping had changed to parcel post, but I paid extra for Priority? I don't expect you to ship at your cost and you didn't, I paid for priority? The website I went too said orders ship in 1-2 days. No confusion there, mine took 3, even after a phone call where we were told it would ship right away. No biggie, but the order was still short items. It just added up for me, things happen. No hard feelings here, you credited me on the edge order that I placed so I wouldn't be out the cost to ship the broken wings back. Got my edge and backordered parts out today per a shipping email I got... that's great service! Again, thank you.

Well I got my edge in today (Friday) with new Yak wings to replace the broken ones but not the backordered esc/motor even after a phone call where I was told I couldn't cancel them because they were already shipped with the edge. Guess that was another innocent mistake? After another contact, I was told the motor/esc are supposed to be in another box. I guess they just didn't arrive at the same time why.... It's obvious to me now why there aren't any more dealers for these planes, because the planes sure do get great reviews & pilot following.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:36 PM
kaboady
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Airfoilz Yak 54 and a Copperhead Extra Stiffy.They both fly nice.The Yak is a slower flying plane,but can not take the abuse the Extra Stiffy can.The Extra Stiffy takes little to assemble.The only trouble I had with the Extra Stiffy is there recommended CG was off and I could not get a hold of Copperhead on it.