Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Got a new toy! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 09:08 PM
ofnamx107

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a new toy! HELP!

Hey guys, I just got a Great Planes Flatout Turmoil. It is my first electric plane. It has a SK400xt brushless motor from hobby lobby. Also has an 18A brushless speed controller. What I need to know is what size Li-Po battery I need to buy. I have no clue about these as I have no experience in electric planes. The guy I bough it from tried explaining to me what I need but I could not remember once I got home. It's killing me because I want to fly it but can't because I have no battery and don't know what to get! I am not new to flying. I have flown 3D gas planes so please do not worry about my flying ability. I am just merely a n00b to electrics.
Also, I got this plane, the brushless motor, 18A speed controller, 4 JR SM8 servos for $75. Do you think this was a pretty good deal?
Thanks in advance.
-Cody(electric n00b in training [:-] )

Old 09-11-2007, 11:51 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Got a new toy! HELP!

Gonna take a a bit of a guess here,but I would asume that 3 cell lipo at 11.1 volts and about 700 -900mah capacity would be about right for it.
Just went on their site,here is some info.Actually you should have done this part yourself.Hope it helps.
http://www.electrifly.com/flatouts/gpma1115.html
Old 09-12-2007, 08:06 AM
ofnamx107

I did already visit the site. They give specs for the stock brushed motor. Since I have an upgraded brushless motor and 18A speed controller, I would assume I would need a higher rated battery than the suggested one for the stock setup(which is what brough me to the forums). I'm ordering a Thunder Power 730mah lipo. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:30 AM
packyj

You should have less or similar amp draw from your more powerful brushless motor as the stock brushed motor gives. The 640 mah battery i have running on the same motor performs well albeit a little short. The battery gets just a touch warm so I would suggest a little high discharge... your 730 would probably work alright. With flat foam electrics you're always balancing between runtime, amp draw, and weight. Some have posted on RC groups using 1000 mah batteries with them but as I'm not a huge fan of the series I have no input on how well they fly with that kind of weight.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Barnstormer65
My Feedback: (32)

Reading your question on battery selection. Sometimes it is a toss up for flight time or performance. If the battery you are flying is performing well use it & get another battery for back up. Your battery will get a little warm but should not exceed 140 F.

Mike
fly-erc.com
Old 09-13-2007, 12:02 AM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

I used to own the turmoil a long long time ago. It was a great little plane. I flew the plane with an e-flite park400 inrunner with stock gearbox and a Thunder power 1320 3cell lipo.. What a combo. LOTS i mean LOTS of power and still gave me almost 8-10 minutes of flight time. With good throttle management you could probably squeeze more out of it. With this size plane id go with any 3 cell 1320 mah and you wont be let down.