Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight Extra Vs Seb Art Katana

Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Extreme Flight Extra Vs Seb Art Katana

Old 11-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Witterings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme Flight Extra Vs Seb Art Katana

Hi,
If anybody's flown booth the 45" Extreme Flight Extra and the Seb Art Katana, Xmas is just about here and looks as though I've narrowed it down to between these 2 planes. My standard of flying is very competant aerobatics and starti learning to do 3D, am OK with Knife Edges and starting to try harriers / prop hanging 2 mistakes high.
Would also be interested in flight time comparisons between the 2 as the Katana seems to be that bit heavier and whether flight times would be slighty shorter, I'm currently using 2170's in an Acromaster and get about 11 minutes of mixed flight.
The only slight thing I've heard about either of them is the undercarriage on the Katana could do with re-inforcing.
Any help / opinions from anyone that's flown / owned both greatly appreciated !!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:15 PM
jrwilliams27

Default RE: Extreme Flight Extra Vs Seb Art Katana

I have flown both EF Extra and Sebart Katana. Overall, I like the extra better for my flying style. The Katana is a VERY smooth flying plane, but it really floats. The plane will do anything you can and then some. It really excels in doing creative or artistic 3D. It handles very gently, but it floats so much it made it hard for me to get it to land in the space I had available. I flew both with a Flightpower 3s1p 2170mAh Lipo and both fly very well on this pack. The Katana would get about 5-7 minutes doing mixed imac and 3d.

The Extra handles very well also. The later editions have the improved tail feathers which greatly reduces any flex and increases the durability. Both planes track well, but the Extra seems to have a little edge on the Katana in this area. The Extra is more snappy and is quicker in spins, blenders, and snaps. Both have unlimited vertical with the recommended setups, but the Extra will get longer flight times. I have been getting 8-10 flights doing mixed imac and 3d. The Extra is built studier in my opinion and holds up better to the "tests" we submit them to. I have been so impressed with EF that my Katana is now being sold. The Extra lands soooo easy it is almost ridiculous! Overall, with my flying style I prefer the EF Extra or EF Edge over the Katana. Either way, you will have a great flying plane, but if you like tight snaps and lightning fast blenders the Extra or Edge will fit the bill.

Hopes this helps.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Witterings

JR,
Thanks for that, I was 80% sure and probably heading in the Extra direction but everything you've said was what I wanted to hear.
Think either way both seem good planes and won't dissapoint but with the flight time and durability of the Extra has made my mind up for sure !.
Neville
Old 12-04-2007, 09:08 AM
kris1

I would go the other way. I had the 45" extra and now have the Seb Art KAt 30. I prefure the the Kat.

I must admit I had a heavy setup on the extra Axi 2820/10 and 2500 3S flightpower. The extra did fly very well, but I had to make some changes to the tail/elevator and beef it up. I kept losing the conopy on the extra

Overall for me with the heaver cells in the Kat seems to be better and it seems to be less fragile than the extra. I had the power setup for the Kat and have now changed it for the A30 10XL. Added about 2oz to the plane but it produces another 100W on the same prop.

Cheers

Kris