Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

What to get next?

Old 12-23-2007, 04:30 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to get next?

Well, I've been flying glow for about 4 years now and finally decided to make the leap to electric..... I should be getting my Airfoilz Edge in a few days but just bought the almost Arf not the combo. I wasn't sure if the stuff that comes with the combo is good stuff or if I should opt to get different gear for it. Since I'm new to electrics I have a bunch of questions. What do you guys recommend for a receiver, battery, and servos? Do I need a balancer to charge the Lipo packs? What size battery do I need? TIA [8D]
I'm really starting from zero so I don't what to get to make this Edge work good.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:32 PM
rmgmag

Default RE: What to get next?

The combo that they sell is very good. I've got their Edge and I like it a lot. The Hacker A20-20l is a good motor and the Hacker X-20 esc is good too for this plane. The new Scorpion motors and ESC's in that size range are supposed to be good too. For servos, I use Hitec HS-55's. For batteries I've used Thunder Power TP1320's but www.hobbycity.com has some really good pricing on similar batteries. You'll probably want to get some with a 15C-20C discharge rating. For a receiver, I'm using the Berg 4L. It's really small, light, and seems to work well.

Good luck.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:39 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

The Airfoilz people along with 3D hobbies, Percision Airobatics, Atlanta Hobbies all seam to have their act togeather in offfering good working packages, including batteries. There must be others along with rip off artists. Recently bought the PA Katana, thinking would use my AXI 2808 and Phoenix 50 T bird controller. AXI flew the thing well, but could not hold a hover. Played around with several other motors, all not quite enough. Heard the offered Percision motor, "Thrust 30" was good, so bought it. Thrust 30 yanks the Katana around very well, runs well, on the same batterys the AXI failed with. The AJ Extra 330L with the Hacker of course works well. It seems that many of the HS and distributors have woken up and now offer stuff that works well in packages. Other than TP and Max Amps batteries, I continue to give stuff away to the less fortunate cause they are just not up to snuff. Bad batterys may just kill off the electrics unless a standard testing agency confirming performance claims is established IMHO. Or, is it just me that keeps getting screwed on inexpernsive battery claims? Can't seem to resist buying a 2200 mah 20-30C battery for $65.00. Yea, hope springs eternal. ENJOY
Old 12-24-2007, 10:03 PM
3D-Flyer Kevin

I would personally go with the scorpion 2215-18 motor and an 2100mah battery pack. It will fly alot bigger and still have very nice authority when the casual oops happens.

Kevin
Old 12-25-2007, 09:59 AM
rclement

Thanks for all the info coming in. I know very little about the electrics so this helps out a lot. I would have just ordered the combo plane but I have a bunch of money on credit at the LHS and figured I could pick up what I need to outfit it there.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Doc Austin

ORIGINAL: rclement

Since I'm new to electrics I have a bunch of questions.
Talk to this guy. http://www.adchobbystore.com/

Whenever I get lost on electric stuff Rob usually has the answer.

What do you guys recommend for a receiver, battery, and servos?
Personally I have switched over to the Futaba 2.5 F.A.S.T system. I'm flying the 6 channel transmitter, but I've given up on memorizing model numbers. 2.4 is absolutely the wave of the future without a shadow of a doubt. the current 72mgh systems are really superb, but if you have to spend money, spend it on 2.4 and get it over with. If you don't, you will just have to buy 2.4 anyway.

Of course, 72 is going to be around a long time, but 2.4 is a massive quantum improvement. One thing is for sure, no one can shoot you down on 2.4. If it saves you one airplane it pays for itself.

Oh, lots of folks love the Spektrum 2.4 and they are fine radios. I had to agonize a long time between that and the Futaba. I've been flying Futaba for 35 years and that was the detirmining factor, but I've also have a few JR radios that I really, really liked

Do I need a balancer to charge the Lipo packs?
Not necessarily, but it's a great tool and the Thunder Power balancer is only about $50. The balancer helps you maximize performance and extend battery life. Some chargers like the new Thunder Power comes with the balancer built in, but I don't know much about them. Again, Rob is the guru on these things, so contact him for the specifics.

I'm really starting from zero........... .
Been there, done that. you'll figure it out pretty fast. there's lots of good help on this forum and electrics are nowhere near as complicated as they look at first. Companies like 3D hobby Shop and extreme flight have planes with recommended power systems and that takes the guesswork out of it. I fly 3DHS almost exclusively and use their standard power setup. I've got monster power and great reliability, so it's hard to ask for much more.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Fliprob17

I have a bunch of money on credit at the LHS and figured I could pick up what I need to outfit it there.
The LHS will most likely carry at least one of these three: E-Flite, Hacker or Great Planes. For 3D you want a minimum of 150 watts per pound of aircraft, and for unlimited performance and great vertical I like to be closer to 175+ watts per pound. AirFoilz combo has an all up weight estimated at 18oz, so you are going to want a motor that can deliver a minimum of 170 total watts, but it would have nice punch out power and great vertical if you were closer to the 195 watt mark, giving your roughly 175 watts per pound of aircraft.

Motor:
E-Flite - Park 450BL 890kv - 175 total watt rating, easily pushed up around the 195 mark on short bursts.
Weight - 2.5oz - Constant amps 14, max. burst 18.

Hacker - A20-20L 1022kv would be the choice. Similar power ratings to the Park 450, but much lighter at 2.01oz - Constant amps 15, max. burst 19.

Great Planes - Rimfire 28-30-1250 - 200 total watt rating, with a max. watts through the roof at 280. Lightest option of all 3 motors at 1.91oz - Constant amps 18, max. burst 25.

ESC: anything rated at 25amps that can handle a 3s 11.1volt LiPo would do it. You want to have a little cushion in there so the system runs efficient and cool.

Battery: 3s 11.1volt - I prefer the Thunder Power 1320 Pro-Lite - anything rated at 13C or higher for the constant rating and between 1300-1600mah would be fine and not weigh the plane down too much, taking away the light and floaty nature.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:24 AM
rclement

ORIGINAL: ADChobbystore

I have a bunch of money on credit at the LHS and figured I could pick up what I need to outfit it there.
The LHS will most likely carry at least one of these three: E-Flite, Hacker or Great Planes. For 3D you want a minimum of 150 watts per pound of aircraft, and for unlimited performance and great vertical I like to be closer to 175+ watts per pound. AirFoilz combo has an all up weight estimated at 18oz, so you are going to want a motor that can deliver a minimum of 170 total watts, but it would have nice punch out power and great vertical if you were closer to the 195 watt mark, giving your roughly 175 watts per pound of aircraft.

Motor:
E-Flite - Park 450BL 890kv - 175 total watt rating, easily pushed up around the 195 mark on short bursts.
Weight - 2.5oz - Constant amps 14, max. burst 18.

Hacker - A20-20L 1022kv would be the choice. Similar power ratings to the Park 450, but much lighter at 2.01oz - Constant amps 15, max. burst 19.

Great Planes - Rimfire 28-30-1250 - 200 total watt rating, with a max. watts through the roof at 280. Lightest option of all 3 motors at 1.91oz - Constant amps 18, max. burst 25.

ESC: anything rated at 25amps that can handle a 3s 11.1volt LiPo would do it. You want to have a little cushion in there so the system runs efficient and cool.

Battery: 3s 11.1volt - I prefer the Thunder Power 1320 Pro-Lite - anything rated at 13C or higher for the constant rating and between 1300-1600mah would be fine and not weigh the plane down too much, taking away the light and floaty nature.
Thanks a million for the info. Just what I needed. [8D]