Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

good 3D plane for windy days

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

good 3D plane for windy days

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:07 PM
dartvader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good 3D plane for windy days

Hi guys i just wanted to know a good plane for windy days. I was looking into this one http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2500 also i am new to 3D. But my first plane the the f-27 stryker and a burshless one. So i think im gunna do great but i dont know you never know. Please help thank you.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:51 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: good 3D plane for windy days

dartvader:

Only Horizon electric I have history with is the mini funtanna when it first came out, and I gave that piece of Junk away. Also, no experience with the bird you are looking at. I do have a PA Katanna MD and AJ Extra 330L. I can recommend both of these birds to you for all around flying. The AJ is the best for me. Set up both with the recommended motors. On the Katana, I substituted a AXI for the PS 30 Thrust motor recommended and ended up going back and buying the Thrust motor. Am very happy with this motor, was afraid it was cheep junk, no, quite good, stronger than the AXI 2808 which would not hover the bird. Thrust is about the same size, but more power, no problem. Both fly in reasonable winds at about the same level with a Nitro bird. ENJOY
Old 02-10-2008, 02:40 PM
dartvader

Ok on the Katana MD i found it here http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...px?prodID=1104 soo what do i need to get to complete it lol i never got a 3D plane before. So like yeah.. Im a noob at this stuff so explain >.<
Old 02-10-2008, 10:33 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dart - most 3D planes are not good for windy days, light wing loading and broad surfaces make the plane really suffer in windly conditions. The Katana MD is a nice plane to fly, she flies reallylight. You need a motor (get the Thrust motor, its easier), an ESC (about 40A would be nice) and servos (HS65s would be great as you can use them for slightly bigger planes too). Of course it needs batteries, something like a 3S 25C in the 2,200 mAh range. Oh yes ... don't forget the radio too. Hehehehehee ...
Old 02-10-2008, 10:59 PM
dartvader

well.. crap its always gunna be windy here hmmm (thinks)
Old 02-12-2008, 07:21 AM
simmo8

hi

would recomend the parkzone typhoon 2 3d because it is foam and very easy to fix if you do crash it on a windy day i have the first typhoon and it handles very well in the wind but i gess it realy depends on how much wind you are lookind at flying in. i wouldent fly in any more wind than 14 to 15 knots
worth a look good luck

simmo
Old 02-12-2008, 11:32 AM
bighead93

That is not the way to start to learn 3-D. If you fly it on very low rates you will be ok...but the best way to learn 3-D is with a good solid foamie. I have the Typhoon 1 and 2, Airfoilz Edge 540, Bipe and the Extra 260, also the 3DH Velox (This one is not foam) and the Liteflight "Bug"(This one is EPP foam). I can fly all of these planes in 20+ MPH wind...but it depends if you are going for performance or appearence. My favorite "windy day" plane is hands down my Airfoilz Bipe and Extra 260. Handle the wind without a problem and have even flown them on 30 MPH wind...the Typhoon's can handle that wind to but get very difficult to land. The only problem with any of the balsa planes...when you do crash...repairs take a lot of time...foam just glues back together. Hope that helps.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:55 AM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

If you need to stick with electric, I can recommend the super zoom or flash models. They'e smaller but penetrate ok and they're pretty durable except for the front ends, but they're easy to fix. I've had very good luck with highly powered higher loaded glo fuel planes on windy days which are also much more durable compared to electric counterparts.

In general, for 3D in wind you should want a highly powered plane (for it's weight), yet a small wing that won't get tossed around too much in gusty conditions-- this means higher wing loading. A small wing usually means bad pullout capability (like in an emergency when you gun both up elevator AND throttle NOW!). The best wing planform for a smallish wing is a straight leading edge and swept forward trailing edge- a la Edge 540 style as this gives better tip stalling characteristics. Also, a trick you can use for higher loaded wings on windy days is to program spoilererons to be on all the time (mix with elevator so up elevator gives upward moving ailerons). This further reduces tip stall qualities and streamlines the wing a bit more so you can work through the turbulence easier. I find 30 to 45 degrees spoiler works for me with full up elevator (50 degrees).

If you're fighting wind, you don't want that wing there in a hover or roller, but when you do want to turn on the wing you don't want any surprises, and that's when it helps to have a "stall friendly wing."

Stick with it. I think you'll find you can do things in wind that you can't do on calm days as easy. Practiceing rollers is far easier, IMO for example as you can keep the plane in front of you and work through the quadrants, blending the inputs as you go and see it all happen easier. Plus, if you practice in wind often, I think you'll find your skills will progress much faster so you'll really look forward to calm days when everything is just that much easier.

hope this helps,
Joe
Old 02-12-2008, 02:08 PM
dartvader

yeah.. lol its like never calm here maybe i will do a video of my stryker and show u . but yeah i am starting to understand now but i was thinking i would go kind of high up in the air and then start moveing around a little. But i dont kno thats just me so i can get a feel of it and yeah its gunna be cool. My dad knows this guy that does these kind of planes too and he says he knows alot a bout them. So were still gunna look around we may try a diffrent plane too like the typhoon. is it a rtf or arf i forget :P
Old 02-12-2008, 02:09 PM
dartvader

Lol its almost around 20 down here i live by the water soo.. yeah its always windy here ;D im lookin at this typhoon looks pretty nice and not as much Lol http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ4300 about the same price my stryker was and its parkzone ^^
Old 02-12-2008, 03:57 PM
bighead93

The Typhoon comes RTF or Plug and Play. It is a good plane...I have had a good time with mine. Really depends on how far you want to push the limits. The Typhoon is a little tricky learning how to hover...harriers get a little rocky...tumbles OK...nothing to wild like my Airfoilz or Velox. The nice thing with the Ty...it uses the same lipos as the Stryker C
Old 02-12-2008, 10:30 PM
dartvader

yeah i saw a vid of that dats cool lol man my stryker so so fast when it comes back at me
Old 02-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Daryl Martel
My Feedback: (3)

E-Flite Tribute FX. I got my 2nd flight in with it yesterday. 1st flight (a week ago) it wasn't too windy - yesterday it was. The wind really picked up (damn it got cold!) after I'd launched it and it was a true test of the planes ability to handle the wind. I've got an Ultrafly Brio 15 brushless motor paired up with a 25A E-Flite ESC. Using a 3 cell 2100 mah LiPo I get about 14 minute flight times - easy 10 - 12 minutes flying it hard. It carries the weight of the bigger battery easily, and penetrates well into the wind. I am very impressed with this little airframe - flys like it's a much bigger plane!
Old 03-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Todd L.
My Feedback: (9)

I'm a big fan of the Budget RC Hornet.(http://www.budgetrc.com/BuyPackage/BuyHornet.html) I fly this one in door and outdoors with no problem. It can easily handle wind (with in reason) and with the generous control surfaces makes it very easy to fly in the wind I think. Besides, I dont want to my "scale" electric out on with gusty wind and 3D, but this plane always makes it out when I have a chance to fly. I think I got more time on this plane then my Mini Funtana.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Gator Flyer

You can fly almost anything in the wind, it's the landing part that will get ya!
Old 03-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Todd L.
My Feedback: (9)

LOL... So very true
Old 03-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just skimmed over the posts, but how windy does it get there? (0-5mph= lazy flag, 6-10=violent flag, 11-15= fairly straight flag, 16+=straight flag, bending pole)

I have a Phase 3 Quick Time that handles wing quite well. It's made of tough EPP, so it can take the crashes that 3D newbs make. I love mine, but it still hates the light poles.

Might not be the best, but a super zoom is another choice.