Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

New to lekky's

Old 04-03-2008, 10:49 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to lekky's

Haha,too funny.You know,a well set up foamy can fly like the Sim or better.I used the foamy 260 tonite to try some simulator moves,like the inverted harrier toward me and steering with rudder at 2 feet off the ground,calmly go by me and do a gentle figure 8 and keep on going,just like the sim.Some planes translate very well from the sim tho the field,some dont.If I dorked it in,not much would happen.If I did this wih my EF Yak 1.60,I would sweat bullets and cry if I lost it.
I also had the Eflite 260 (480) out tonite.It flies suberbly,like a 25%,but it does cost alot more,and will go in and self destruct if you loose concentration.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:14 AM
victorzamora

I wouldn't think that the Extra (480) would fly that well. I mean, I imagined it flew well...but still like a small plane. Upfront cost isn't really what scares me on these smaller electric planes, it's constantly having to buy another $100 ARF or spend countless hours fixing it if the ground jumps up. For the record, I've never crashed...the ground has simply loved my planes so much it wanted them back, but was too rough. I did attempt to plant 1 Fliton tree though. Wouldn't it be great to have Fliton planes growing in your back yard? Apparently the spinner I used wasn't the correct spinner for planting a tree.

Where electrics get expensive are like 12S batteries for all-composite 120mm ducted fan planes. I might as well buy a dang turbine!! LiPo's are just ridiculously expensive...but hey, what are we going to do?
Old 04-07-2008, 03:26 PM
victorzamora

Hey, have y'all heard anything bad about E-flite ESC's? I was recently offered a great deal on an E-Flite 20A ESC and a Park 450 motor. Would it be okay? I mean, it says it's programmable, good for 20A continuous, good for 4 servos, 3s1p LiPo's. Sounds good, but my LHS owner said bad things about them.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:46 PM
nitro wing

Not sure about them,never used them.I use Castle/Phoenix stuff.The 260 (480) is an exceptional aircraft,that is why there is such a long happy thread on it.But its balsa,and will not take any impacts without damage. not sure if this vid link wil work for you,its from last year..
http://media.putfile.com/Extra-260
Old 04-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Deathbunny_SG
My Feedback: (6)

I just got an extra stiffy by copperhead from ohiomodelplanes and I love it. On the maden I had the battery mounted about 5" to far back and right after take off it basicly made a tight fast loop and drilled nose first into the field. It hit hard there was alot of wind and it was full throttle trying to take off into the wind. Several guys came runnin over expecting to see lotsa carnage due to the loud smack it made on impact but to our suprise it only had a very small tear on the rudder and a broken prop of course. A five minute repair later it was good as new. My other flat dupron foamy woulda been destroyed (it already was in a much smaller crash) and a balsa model woulda been kindling for sure . Since getting the battery mounted in the right spot it flys great. After building my first flat dupron foamy I knew right away it wasnt gonna be strong enough and I was never happy with it. Being easy to build/fix and very strong outa the box was my biggest factor in the stiffys purchase. O yeah it flys great to have a look at their vids.

http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/comer...?idProduct=308
Old 04-08-2008, 09:28 PM
victorzamora

I found these Lipos from HobbyCity that are 20C 1300mAh Lipo's for $15!! I figure I'll order my plane with one of those, and if they suck then I'll get a TP battery. If not I'll get another one of those. I may have to get one of each just to compare them, but even if they don't last as long it's still okay! I mean, one TP battery and $5 or 4 Zippy batteries? It's DEFINITELY worth a shot.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:41 PM
nitro wing

Cheap Lipos on a performance plane are surely to disapoint,but 15 bucks aint alot of money to waste,so give it a try.
Just make sure you dont leave them in the plane or charge them in the house,because you may not have a home the next day.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:20 AM
victorzamora

Thanks for the warning. You're making me feel REALLY secure now!
Old 04-09-2008, 06:57 PM
victorzamora

What's the difference between the E-flite BL450 motor and the Park 450 motor?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:24 PM
victorzamora

Well, I got a Charger CR1 on Monday. Last thursday I bought the equipment for it.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:10 PM
nitro wing

They have a really good build/fly rating.let us know how it goes.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:35 PM
victorzamora

Well, I almost maidened it tonight. I live on a golf course, and right before 8:00pm EST I told my dad to go ahead and launch it. He checked the motor direction and it was rotating backwards, sure enough. I fixed that, and by the time I looked up I got uncomfortable. I decided not to fly because it was too dark and I only had the checkerboard pattern on the bottom of the plane...no markings otherwise. Good call too, because not but 2 minutes later it went pitch black.
To mount the ESC, Battery, and Rx...I sprayed them with accelerator and put CA on the plane (or vice versa on the battery) and stuck it on. It's all attached via velcro, but it seems to hold on well. I might get a chance to maiden it tomorrow after school. I'm going to the beach this weekend though, so I won't get a chance to respond until Sunday night. Hope it goes well!