Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

New to lekky's

Old 03-27-2008, 08:55 PM
victorzamora

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to lekky's

I'm in the market for my first foamy, and I was looking into getting the E-Flite Extra 260 foamy...but it's a 9.5oz foamy. It calls for like a Park 370 motor. I've noticed, however, that there aren't many foamies in that size range...and those that are are indoors ONLY and aren't good in ANY wind. There's a $40 difference between a Fancy Foam Edge 540 and the Horizon Hobby Extra. Should I save up for bigger? There are also more choices in the 13-16oz range than 7-10oz range.

Is that what I should be getting? If I go with that size, it would be either a FancyFoam plane or a Charger CR2. If so, what motor/esc combo should I be getting with those planes?
What do you think about stepping up to the 400-sized planes? Good call or bad call? What do y'all think? I'm new to electric planes, so talk stupid to me

Also, what do y'all think about the combos on [link=http://www.fancyfoam.com/EDGE540HPK.htm]this website?[/link]
Old 03-28-2008, 07:11 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: New to lekky's

Victor:

Based on a web site recomendation, I recently bought a Fancy Foam Yak 54 rather than the RCXplanes Yak I have been flying for months. The FF is ok but not as good as the rcx planes for me at least. The rcx is easier to hover, torque roll and harrier/elevator, and has been no real problem to fly in the wind . You would need the Hacker 20-20L or equal for the rcx. Hope this helps you, will have a Airfoilz edge 540 soon, waiting for the brown truck.

The new balsa planes have been hyped a lot lately. Have a Katana MD and AJ Extra 330L set up per recommendations. Both fly well prefer the Extra by a little bit, BUT,
MY RCX YAK FLYS BETTER for a lot less money. ENJOY
Old 03-29-2008, 10:40 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

If you can fly outside get something bigger.The Eflite 260 foamy is not that good,it does fly outside ok.It requires a 300 motor,the 370 only if doing variable pitch.The thing is too heavy with all that junk on there.I got one that is just a beater,its still fun,and i fly it on windy days too.
I would get something bigger,that uses 450-480 size motor.They fly much better and easier and the choices are outstanding.Try an Airfoilz or ChargerRC plane,much bigger and better.They handle real nice and aerobatic training is better as they are very stable and high performance.These will cost more,but if you got the patience and a few extra $ you wont regret getting this size motor and ESC and batteries.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:55 PM
victorzamora

Thank you both!
Let's say I got an RCXplanes 3D Flipper or a 3dFoamy Tiburon...both weighing in at 15oz (advertised). Since I'm new to this whole electric ordeal, I've gotta ask what brand (and size) battery y'all would recommend. Also, what size prop? What about this equipment:
4 E-Flite DS-75 Servos (7.5g Coreless digitals w/ 17.2oz/in of torque)
castle creations thunderbird 18A Brushless ESC
E-Flite Park 450 890kV motor
Hitec 05S receiver

I think that's: 18A * 11.1V = 199.8W. On a 15oz plane, that's 213.12W/lb...which I've heard is a good ratio for 3D. Let me know about any bad choices I've listed also!
Old 03-30-2008, 03:46 PM
nitro wing

The 450 will probably need a 25-30 amp to be save,I would just go with a 480 and 35 amp and some 18-2200 batteries.This outfit will allow you to choose from a great number of planes from foam to wood,and this equipment can be transferred to a large number of planes in the future.The flipper will likely be too small to take all that gear.I think the airfoilz will fly with that stuff.
Flightpower and Thunderpower are respected manufactures of batteries,along with a few others.Avoid the too cheap Ebay stuff,often the claims are not anything like the performance you actually get.The s 75 are a pretty good servo all around,and I use them up the 480 wooden planes.All this stuff adds up to quite a pile of money,but in the end,good gear will go along way.
I have seen so many people that start dirt cheap and keep having to re-buy better gear to step up the next level,and end up spending a whole lot more over a longer period.Castle makes good ESC.
The 480 stuff is just a bit more than 380-400 size planes but a whole lot cheaper than whats available after that.
Things get expensive with ESC's and big 4S batteries and powerfull servos.
Think it over,there is lots on RCU to read.
Good luck.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:06 PM
victorzamora

The reason I want to stay away from Airfoilz and Balsa planes is that I'm about to be going to college and don't want to have anything much to fix. I also just drive a Z4, so I don't have much room to travel with it. I also think I want a 450 size plane because the cost of ESC's and LiPo's gets really high with higher capacity batteries.

The park 450 motor has an 18A max surge current for 15seconds. The ESC is rated for continuous 18A. It SHOULD be okay, right?

I mean, AirfoilZ recommends 150-200W...a 450 sized motor gives max 18A-continuous 14A. That's 150-200W between continuous and maximum current, so it wouldn't be a LOT of power...but they'd 3D well. Also, I figure that there are enough 15oz foamies to be able to move my equipment around in. I'm not interested in electric balsa models, but foamies. I'll let my balsa models be slimers, I'm a glow addict!
Old 03-30-2008, 05:16 PM
nitro wing

Maybe for a quick combo deal the Parkzone Typhoon would do.You could probably have alot of instant fun with it.I have never done much reading on it,so I am not sure how its rated for quality and servicability.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:23 PM
victorzamora

I've seen it fly and was never really impressed with it. If I end up getting a combo like that, I'll get the Fancy Foam combo for $270 and transplant equipment to a different airframe later on.
FWIW, the combo is: Airframe, Himax 2812-0850 brushless direct drive motor with Castle Creations Thunderbird 18 speed control. 11x4.7 prop. Hitec Micro 05S receiver (or Spectrum 6100) with (4) HS-55 servos. FlightPower 1345, 3 Cell LiPo battery pack with Deans Ultra plug connector.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:53 PM
nitro wing

That should work
One more thing in case you are not aware,is that the flat wing foamies fly and like a small angle of attack,so they do not offer airfoiled character,but if its just a fun thing,these planes can be a blast.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:11 PM
victorzamora

which set-up is better? the first one or the second one? like...the Himax motor or the Park 450 motor? Also, I've heard that Axi is awesome. Should I consider an Axi motor? If so, which one?
Old 03-30-2008, 09:33 PM
nitro wing

I only run the E flite motors,because I have local parts available.I think the Himax and AXI and Hackers are highly rated too.
I am sure someone else will pop in and have some answers.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:14 PM
victorzamora

Thanks for the input. I've only heard good things about E-flite motors and CC ESCs. Between the Fancy Foam combo and the set-up I made, the price difference is VERY little. The Fancy Foam combo is $3 more expensive but comes with a prop...so I'll opt for the E-flite motor instead of the Himax motor. It also seems like all of the foamies are so light and soo good that it's really just a matter of choice now, right? Also, besides the chinese ebay batteries, Lipo's are the same way? Essentially, I have three questions:
1) would this set-up be enough for the 16-20oz Airfoilz planes if i decide to buy one later on?
2) Is the CC Thunderbird 18A esc (rated @ 18A continuous) good enough for the Park 450 motor (rated 18A max burst current for 15s...14A continuous) or is it pushing it?
3) If I take 14A times 11.1V I get 155W. On a 15oz foamy is 161.9W/lb. Should I step up to a park 480 (20A continuos, 28A burst) with a CCthunderbird 36A esc for 222W and 227W/lb?
Old 04-01-2008, 12:00 PM
rmgmag

I've had a couple of the Fancy Foam planes and they fly fine. I've had a number of the www.rcxplanes.com, and they're very good to, better than the Fancy Foams (IMO). I also have an Airfoilz Edge 540 and it flies very well, but recently I purchased a Flash, and it is absolutely the best plane I've flown yet in the 16oz size range. The only downside is the cost, but because it's made from EPP foam, it generally won't break when you crash, it just bounces. So the longevity is much longer than any of the Depron based planes, and it flies better too.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:03 PM
victorzamora

Thanks for that info! I'll look into that. All I need to figure out about the set-up is if getting a Park 450 is okay or if I should get a Park 480. I mean, I want a lot of power...but the Park 480 needs more weight in itself, the battery has to be bigger, the ESC is heavier. Not only is it heavier...it's more expensive. Is the extra money and weight worth the power? If I go with the 350 size, is the Castle Creations Thunderbird 18A good enough?
Besides the engine/ESC, all I need is the airframe.
Any opinions on any of that??
Old 04-01-2008, 09:31 PM
nitro wing

Not sure on all your questions,just dont get a cheap ESC,some are not programable and will cause issues later with internal limits.If you are deciding between 450 and 480,do the 480 35 amp thing,a few more bucks,but endless choices for it,and a reliable,very powerful combo.
I own many planes,and went thru the steps of getting it right.The 480 size is just a good in the middle performance/affordable size.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:36 AM
victorzamora

It's not really the cost, but the weight. The 480-sized motor and ESC together weigh over a whole ounce more than the Park 450 set-up...plus the larger battery.
FWIW, the Thunderbird 18 is programmable.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:39 PM
nitro wing

Oh I realize that and it maybe too heavy for some airframes.But some of the 480 size like Eflites performers willl not be performers with a 450.
But if you want to stick with a foamy the 400-450 size is probably a good option.Have you looked at Charger RC stuff?
Many swear by the planes.I tried one for a few minutes last year.I almost kept it from the owner
Old 04-03-2008, 12:24 PM
victorzamora

Yeah, one of the Charger planes is probably what I'm going to end up with.

I was going to buy the equipment JUST for foamies...but Fliton and E-flite both have really great offerings in Park 480 sized planes.
I guess I'm going to go with the Park 480 with a Great Planes Silver Series 25A ESC, I've heard nothing but good things about those ESC's. A TP 3s1p 2100mAh battery is 2.0oz (a full 67%) heavier than the TP 3s1p 1320 battery. An extra 2oz for just the battery on top of the ounce difference in motor and esc makes it 3oz, and an extra 3oz on a 15oz model is a lot.
If the 1320 is good enough for the Park 480 motor, that's what I'm getting. If not, I'll get the Park 450 and be okay with it.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:55 PM
nitro wing

yeah.its tough to get one size to satisfy.The 480 should have a 1600-1800 battery minimum though.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:29 PM
victorzamora

How do you calculate minimums?
Old 04-03-2008, 06:11 PM
nitro wing

I dont..I have a 480 and run a EVO 1800,a 2150 and a 2170.I get over 10 minutes with them.The 1800 is on its way out.I probably abused it too.
I think a 1320 is good for a 400 motor if you want some flight times.
Hey,I dont know everything,just trying to help you choose the most ideal set up the first time.There are many on this board that have plenty of experience and have had other models and good sucess,and should be able to get some other ideas for you.
I see you noticed that E flite and Fliton have some very cool offerings.
I have the Eflite 260,99% of us love it.Its a superb flier with the 480, 35 amp and 2100.
But these get to be more complex than a backyard foamy,and require more space and some flying background.They are very light and somewhat fragile and not suitable for learning on.
If you are comfortable with that,then grab one of these or similar.
I just went on Chargers site.
You are probably best off getting everything in one shot from them and ask for a combo deal
Like a CR-1 with a Hacker, 18 amp and 1320 as you mentioned,some of the 55 servos are fine.I did not see a combo package but I would email them and get a quote of a complete set up.
If you add up the cost of the 480 size planes you may not want to go that far,plus the fact that they are not as suitable for shoolyard flying,if you dont intend to fly at a club.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:46 PM
victorzamora

I've flown at clubs, and have been flying planes for almost two years now. I've owned a Funtana X50, which is about as fragile as they come (I've cracked balsa from PICKING UP THE WING), a Goldberg Ex-treme 540 (old hand-me-down but flew great), the Fliton Edge Freestyle (destroyed my Saito 100 (i've fixed it since then) when the Rx battery came undone), and a Tribute 36 with an OS 46AX (can anyone say power?)....just to name my 3D planes. I crashed all of them, except the old Ex-treme. A friend gave it to me when I wrecked my funtana the second time (rebuilt it and sold it) to mess around with. I gave it back when I was done practicing.
The reason I really want a foamy is because my dad LOVES flying these things. He flew them when he was in military school in the early 80's but took a hiatus for about 15 years. I wanted to get into the hobby, and dragged him in with me. Anywho, he doesn't get much time to fly...and we live on a golf course (middle of the fairway on hole 15), so I figure I'd buy a foamy for us to fly. Then, when I get to college (come August I'll be a Hokie, hopefully) I can take it around b/c it doesn't take up the room a glow plane requires to build, store, and...for those less-than-smooth landings....fix. So, for now I'm completely against balsa planes. I've got two slimers (and a NIB saito 100) sitting around here that need to be worn out.

Nitrowing, I've read your posts all across the forums and have almost wondered why you post so much. Your advice is great. I kept going up and up in size and price, but that's not where I wanted to be! Yeah, the E-flite Extra IS probably a great plane...but it's not what I want. I'm sticking with a Park 450 and a CC Thunderbird 18 ESC. It says "for 3D park flyers 15- to 25-ounces" Airfoilz are 20 (prolly 19 or so w/ this light equipment). Not ballistic, but good. Plus, SOO many foamies are in the 14-16oz range...that's what I'm shooting for. I wanted an 8oz foamy originally, but they're (from what i understand) delicate and almost indoors only. Also, several little Flitons are like 20oz. Probably not ballistic 3d, but good vertical and great IMAC. If charger rc or someone like that has a good combo deal, then I'll be all for it...but that seems like it. I'll post my decision on all the equipment when I get completely decided.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:08 PM
victorzamora

Hahaha, I just checked the Airfoilz site and they recommend a Hacker motor (not sure about the number) with a 20A esc and a TP 1320 LiPo. Looks like my 450-sized motor is perfect for even those!

Flitons may be 18 or 19oz with my set-up, but still not bad on power. Even a 20oz plane with 18A and 11.1V gets 160watts per pound. For unlimited 3D, I've read you only need 150W/lb. Kinda on the limit, but still....in the range!
Old 04-03-2008, 10:09 PM
nitro wing

Well that sounds good.You got some flying and crashing experience and got a feel for what you need and want.
Yeah,I post a fair bit,sometimes I'll disappear too.Members on RCU have been good to me and I have learned from many threads,covering alot of technical aspects and set ups for various airframes.I have been flying hard since 1989,but it was the internet,that allowed me to expand my skills and understanding ,as good knowledgable pilots are not that common in my area.
I feel that I should pass on what I have learned over the years,from others and my own experiences to the next guys that need some guidance.
The electric foamy stuff is really a fun way to get some serious flying in.They build confidence,are affordable and can "go in" without needing major repair.
If you stay away from unknown off shore brands and try to have the best gear you can afford,your enjoyment will go much further.Foamy airframes are cheap,between 30-60 $,so if you wreck it,its not so bad,but having to replace low quality electronics and perhaps a plane can be a real headache.
Hope you get something that will give you and your Dad some good flying days together.
Just had my EFlite foamy Extra out,with a 300 and 10 amp and 640 and 910,its kinda cheap fun on a calm evening,but its just a bit light to fly outdoors on a regular basis.Something a bit larger is better.There is a big thread on QQ's BYP Yak,I have one of these too,its a blast on a 370.. I used 18 amp and 640's and the 910.It likes calm days,but that thing is so much fun.Just to confuse you,I thought I'd throw that at you too
Old 04-03-2008, 10:29 PM
victorzamora

Actually, the E-flite Extra foamy is what got me interested in foamies. I went to the LHS to buy my dad a Heli for my mom to give him for Valentine's day. I almost got it instead, but oh well. The reason I decided to go up to a 450 size was because it was always "just a little bit more for a little bit bigger." 450 is really as big as it gets for me, much bigger is too big for foamies. I drive a Z4, so nothing much bigger than a foamy fits in my car...so I may as well plan on a nice foamy.

Also, people like you are the exact reason I post on here. Everyone is helpful, but nearly 1800 posts is great. I decided long ago that if I was going to ask for help, I was going to try to help as much as possible. When I go flying, I ask all my friends about their set-ups and find out as much as I can on their opinions so that I can have a wider spectrum for helping people with. I may not have first-hand experience with a plane, but I'll tell people what I've been told.

I know what you mean about having to replace cheap electronics later. I bought TH .46 engine for my trainer and hated it since day 1. The second I traded up in planes, I bought an OS and haven't looked back. Cheap equipment ends up being more expensive. I "saved" like $30 on the engine, but just about lost my $80 trainer and 4 $15 servos and a $40 receiver because of a faulty engine (deadstick WAY over the ocean). I also crashed countless times because of an unreliable engine. That's why I decided to go with foamies. I'll buy everything I need from the get-go, but if I crash it won't be a money pit. A 15oz foamy hitting the ground at 10mph has VERY little momentum. Even if I destroy the plane, it's $40 and I'm back up. It won't become a money pit. Nitro planes, if I crash...it means servos, possibly extensions, maybe my Rx battery, the engine (4S cases, mostly), etc. Foamies, it's just a bit of foam-safe CA and 10 minutes. I'm balls-to-the-walls about flying, so I don't need much confidence. What I need is muscle memory. Slow foamies react slowly and allow me to learn without spending $1000 after every bad crash. I've got G3.5, but it's not the same thing. I need an intermediate step between sim and my favorite 3D plane. I figured a foamy was a real plane, but not my precious plane...y'know? There. All my reasons for wanting a foamy!

Whew, that random rant felt good. It was all over the place too!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.