Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Gyros for airplanes

Old 04-09-2008, 10:56 AM
firstelectric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyros for airplanes

Has anyone tried putting a gyro on a profile electric plane to help learn hovering? If so. which gyro would work for this purpose. I noticed on the sim the gyro really helps. I have an E-Flite Edge 540 profile I'l like to try it on.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Stick40

Default RE: Gyros for airplanes

A gyro will teach you nothing, beceause it will do every thing you would normaly learn to do. Just practice practice practice!

Stick 40
Old 04-10-2008, 12:13 PM
smh20502
My Feedback: (1)

I'll have to agree, learn w/o the gyro. Yes, it will help but will take all the fun out of the hobby. Just practice practice, practice. Use the Sim.

BTW, I just got into flying planes a couple months ago and can't hover at all....but I've figured out how to tumble very well... into the earth.

any landing that doesn't break anything is a good landing

Old 04-10-2008, 08:30 PM
kid chuckles

Don't know how you would mount it flat enough on a Profile. They have to sit level. But yeah it would work on a profile why not? Might not be real good for learning cause it kinda does it for you but then again it will be impresive. Go for it, and let everyone know how it goes if it works bet some others would like to try also. If not then Practice makes you well you know TIRED lol.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:48 PM
nitro wing

You said to learn hovering..it would not teach you anyting...except delay the process of accepting the fact that you need to practice and learn...why cheat yourself? to impress bystanders and friends? its an aquired skill.Spend the time and get good.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:33 AM
dystracted

i wont think any less of you for instaling one.it might just be the differance between learning how to hover, and crashing 5 planes learning how to hover. throw it in the tail, on the rudder and youll have one less thing to juggle while getting the hang of it.lots of people use one. ive seen them mostly in larger scale stuff,but i dont see why it wouldnt work in a smaller electric.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:57 AM
piroflip2

I''m (sadly) old enough to remember the howls of "cheating" when the first heli gyros came out.

But I would agree that with prop hanging the best way is to burn fuel.
I am the only "oldie" in my club that does it, and if I can learn so can you.
Forget the gyro and get practicing, it''s a lot of fun and a great show off trick when you can do it.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:31 AM
kid chuckles

And by practicing means crashing lol. Just do it and let us know how it works out. IF the big gassers can use them although they probabaly can do it without them then there must be something to using them. I would like to hear your report of how it work for you. If you don''t like how it works you can remove it easily enough and go from there. Trying to hover is alot easier when the plane is low enough you can really see what effect everything has but man doing that is very easy to crash when the plane falls over. So a gyro might save your plane in this instance maybe not. Go For it. Shoot if everybody had the very same stuff it would not be fun lol.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:58 PM
dystracted

has anyone thought of gyro controled thrust vectoring?i mean left right thrust vectoring used in 3d/pattern flying. i dont think the motor would move during level flight, only when the gyro was facing the right direction in a hover.it seems to me that gyros might have helped pave the way for 3d and patern flight as we know it.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:51 AM
smh20502

Yep, thought about it and am seriously considering trying, once I get good enough at building, flying etc. I believe that it is only reasonable to try this on electric though. What started me in wanting to do this is, I want to have the same XY control as in a heli when hovering.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:42 PM
RoughLandin

Hey Guys,
The decision may have been made for you regarding the use of a gyro on an airplane. I just got off the phone with Horizon Hobby and they said the JR G500A Aircraft gyro has been discontinued and they don't have or plan on releasing a replacement.

I also read that Futaba gyros don't work with JR radios due to the electrical polarization. If any of you have any other recommendations please share.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Cleared2Engage

I was playing with the idea last week also. I put the RCE-500 gyro (align) in the belly of my Yak and used it for the ailerons. It worked great in stabilizing and keeping it where I wanted it. The only problem I had was that I didn't use enough padding on the gyro and I had my gain set a litle too high, making it spasm a little. If you do try it, make sure you've eliminated all prop vibration. Make sure to use good foam tape to pad the gyro, and play with the gain settings to match the servo and aircraft responsiveness. There is an article in the latest AMA magazine that shows them using gyros on BVM jets. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:29 AM
jameslundy

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=1743

This gyro would work well in rate mode and it mounts on edge in a heli, so flat against the side of an airplane would work.