Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

I need some tutoring in shaft reversal....

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

I need some tutoring in shaft reversal....

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 02:45 PM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some tutoring in shaft reversal....

I just received my Charger RC foamy and see that my E-Flight 400 needs to have the shaft reversed. I printed out the PDF from Horizon but it doesn't seem to be describing my motor. Mine has a set screw on the output end and a snap ring on the other against the bearing. Any more detailed instructions would be appreciated. Thanks, suitcase.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Dorsal
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: I need some tutoring in shaft reversal....

I thought the Charger RC that you bought was ARF, so unless you got one of those Blue motors you shouldn't need to reverse the shaft.

Oh,wait. Which model and kit did you buy?
\Did it come with that motor, or did you buy that as an upgrade?
Why do you think you need to reverse the motor shaft?
Old 04-22-2008, 10:40 AM
RVator
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the eflite motor comes with the shaft coming out ot the end that spins. The motor must mount with the shaft exiting the held end since it mounts to the inside of the CNC provided mount, with the motor inside the fuse. I bought the white foamy not the new one. I would supply a link but I had a hard time finding where to buy it and I'm not home on my PC. Anyway the problem is not mounting it it's getting the shaft coming out of the other end. I don't have the box or instru. that came with it. I'm working on it now and I have removed the snap ring and tiny washer that appears to be a spacer as much as anything. I've removed the set screw on the spinning end and the shaft is very, very, tight. It's supposed to be a slip fit but it feels more like a pressed fit it's so tight. Help!
Old 04-22-2008, 06:19 PM
tcclong

I haven't worked with that particular motor, but I've taken lots of shafts in and out of hacker and scorpion motors, and also have an AXI, and the shaft is press fit into the housing on all those - not a slip fit. I usually pound the shaft out (or just reverse its position) with a hammer and a pin, although it's better to use a vice or arbor press to press the shaft out. It's easy to bend the housing when doing this, so you have to be careful. A bent housing is not easy to fix. I have mounted motor facing either direction depending on how the motor mount on the plane is designed. It's fairly routine to have to do that.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:59 PM
kid chuckles

On the E-Flight motors there is the snap ring, and a collar, there are also some set screws under the collar inside the housing just a bit. You can see them very easily you just have to look. They are easy also to get to. Just be careful not to strip one. I think there are two that holds the shaft. It is possible yours does not have them. If not and you have the collar, snap ring and stuff off. Then you need to lay it on something that will not scratch it up or something like that and take a small hammer I use a fiberglass type and tap the shaft (pretty good lick sometimes) it should move, the only problem and it was actually not a problem was after doing this I could not reuse the snap ring as there was no place for it. Just look for those set screws just inside the housing that would hold the shaft. Mine was a 480 motor not sure they all have the set screws mine did. I also layed mine on a vise with a rag to keep from scratching it up. Your Hobby Shop dealer might be able to help you out. If it is convenient to use. But man wait on a little more advice than mine I have done this not a month ago but still someone might be able to tell you a simpilar way. I hate trying to give advice even though I might be completley right I would hate for someone to use my advice and screw something up. Good luck what type plane are you using this setup on? I had to reverse mine for the Addiction by precision aerobatics.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:47 PM
jameslundy

I loosten the set screw or remove the clip and push the shaft thru with a pin installed in my drill-press, Less chance of damaging anything.