Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

SebArt Sukhoi 30E

Old 05-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Cyberfyn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SebArt Sukhoi 30E

Just finished putting it together and I must say I'm impressed. The quality and finish is the best I've seen on an ARTF. She's going up for the first time tomorrow, and judging by the reviews she's a beaut. I'm using the supplied power set of Hacker A30 motero and X55 ESC. Only using 3S 2500 LiPo though. Will try 4S if need be, but I'm told it won't need it ?

Recommended [8D]

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1519.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	2239193

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1521.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	2239194

Ian F.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:40 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SebArt Sukhoi 30E

Cyberfin - looking at her size and weight I am sure she will happily fly on 3S 2,500s ... if you want hard 3D performance then 4S wil be the way to go ... if you are that particular about wing loading then 4S 2,200s. Let us know how she flies, I am about to maiden my Angel and may get the SU29 50 too ... not too sure about it yet though. Happy Maiden!
Old 05-11-2008, 09:37 PM
latitude777

Hey Mate,

Fly the 30e on a 3 cell.

I just bought the AJ fliton extra 330s and am running the hacker A30 and am spinning a 14x7e prop. This thing is very responsive with throttle and is apparently heavier than the sukhoi! From my own experience, the 3 cell (for me thunderpower extreme 2200 11.1 3s) has more than enough for most 3D manouvers and will pull out vertically as well! Its not out of this world super punchy or anything like that but it is fantastic. But like tainci said, lighter wing loading is better flying. You can only use veritcal punch outs so often. Somewhere else in between you gotta fly!
Old 05-12-2008, 02:51 AM
Cyberfyn

Yeah, got 14x7E prop on too. They say to use a 15xsomething but I've read it eats batteries. I'll try the 14 and see. I ran the motor up last night after setting all the rates and expo. It nearly jumped out of my hands and went vertical.... No wings attatched

Not had a 3D electric before. I have a 70" petrol Extra 300S so I'm expecting it to be a bit lively!

Can't wait for tomorrow night now.

Ian F.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:54 AM
tIANci

Ian ... on a calm day some good 45" EP planes truly feel like a 50cc.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:36 AM
latitude777

Cant vouch for the 50cc But can definately say the small 30e jobbies are a lively bunch! My mates all have Aj's and Sebart Katana 30e's. Great bunch of planes...

Im just about to put in an order for the sukhoi myself..Crashed the AJ last week.. Was doing a knife edge only a foot off the ground when it dipped suddenly and i missed it! Cartwheeled it and snapped the fuse in two! repaired it but the loves gone...

Let us know how your bird flies! Would love to hear about it before i buy my own!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25365.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	947852  
Old 05-13-2008, 06:33 AM
Cyberfyn

Well, as expected she flys beautifully! I eventually used JR DS385 Digital servos on all surfaces as I'm a big believer in the centering power and speed of digitals. And they aren't much more than standards.

She took off from grass in about 6ft and only needed a couple of clicks of elevator to trim out. I did the first flight on low rates, just to get used to her, and flicked over to high rates on battery two. WOW. It'll do everything in the book (although I might move the COG back a little) and I felt like I was flying a much bigger bird. Not sure how it'll handle wind though as it was dead calm last night here.

I'll try and get some flying pics up next time.

Ian F.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:24 AM
tIANci

Ian ... looks like you have a winner there ... I think I am opting for the 50E ...
Old 05-15-2008, 02:28 AM
latitude777

Someone mentioned to me the other day that the open front cowel on the sukhoi may cause real drag problems and cause the plane to not glide real well or slow very quickly in slow turns.. He basically said it was going to be a plane that required more throttle than usual... Did you find this when you flew it or was it ok?
Old 05-15-2008, 04:09 AM
Cyberfyn

I didn't notice any problems.... In fact it's a bit of a floater It took two power off attempts to get her down, just wanted to keep on flying!

It does have a large opening in the cowl, but it also has large exit cooling openings under the fuselage (where the lower windows should be) and also a large opening at the lower rear of the cowl. So all airflow is run through the fuselage for cooling purposes. Intelligent design.

Ian F.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:07 AM
latitude777

Cool thanks for the info!
Old 05-19-2008, 02:37 AM
latitude777

Just put in my order for one today! Will be here by friday apparently. Will let you know how it goes. Really looking forwards to this one. Seen the Sebart Katana fly and its great..though this one looks more aerobatic/3D...!!! Yeah Yeah
Old 05-19-2008, 01:56 PM
Cyberfyn

You won't be dissapointed mate. Treat her to some digital servos if you can as well

Ian F.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:53 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Id like to add the sukhoi to my collection. I recently got the SebArt Katana, and it is freakin AWESOME.
Its a 3D wow machine. But it really breaks out of the norm and into insane when you catch a really calm day.

If the sukhoi is anything like the katana...definatly run it on 3cells. 3cells is more than enough to do just about anything, and it keeps it light so it will be really good and floaty.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:56 PM
latitude777

I would have loved to have used digitals in this baby, but all i got lying around are some Hitec HS-81s that came out of my old AJ extra...I realise the servo holes will need modifying but cash is a little low these days, so beggards cant be choosers. I'm a uni student...The fact i can buy a new kit is exciting enough!!!

As for my setup...Here's what i'll be running

Hacker A30-10xl spinning 14x7 prop
Scorpion 70a esc....I know its overkill but i got it cheap as part of a package and its not much heavier than the recommended hacker x55
servo's: Hitec HS-81's...HS-81mg on rudder and elevator
JR R770s receiver
Thunderpower extreme v2 11.1 3s 2200mah lipos
I'll probably replace all the standard hardware will ball links as well..

Any build tips or things you came across when you put this baby together that would help a bloke out?!

Old 05-20-2008, 03:57 AM
Cyberfyn

HS-81s are fine servos. I'm just a hooligan and prefer the centering power of the digitals

No build tips. It's a doddle, and a VERY well made kit. Probably the best ARTF I've seen and it can be finished in just a few hours. Make sure you have some medium and thin cyano though. The links won't need replacing either. Very secure and no slp whatsoever.

Ian F.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:37 AM
latitude777

Yeah i've been pretty happy with the hs-81s they seem like a great servo..Havent had any centring problems yet, though with time i imagine they would wear.

Will have a look at the original hardware when it turns up...My mate changed all his Sebart Katana 30 to ball links...though he is a fusspot. It does look very tidy when its all put on though!
Old 05-20-2008, 07:52 AM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

I plan to replace the links on my katana with ball links very soon. The Z-bends tend to stretch out the holes on the control horns and then you get play in the control surface.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:15 PM
latitude777

Come to think of it, it sounds like the same problem my mate had with his katana..Which would be why he replaced his standard hardware..
Old 05-21-2008, 04:29 AM
Cyberfyn

No Z-bends on the Sukhoi. It's all carbon rod and quality hardware. It's the first thing I usually change on an ARTF model, but didn't have to on this one.

Another good flying session last night. It keeps getting better

Ian F.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:52 AM
latitude777

Great. Looking forwards to flying this baby...

I had a chat with my mate today. He mentioned having slack in his linkages from wear on the torque horns. By replacing these with ball links you eliminate that problem.

I guess this would only happen with time, so for now you should be fine flying it with the standard hardware. BUt it might be something to keep in mind.

Glad to hear its such a good plane! Soooo looking forwards to building it!

How is it in upright harriers?? It looks good on the vid clips ive seen?
Old 05-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Cyberfyn

It harriers ok, but I need to move the COG back a bit. I have it on the recommended mark at the mo so it's tricky to find the sweet spot..... Or I'm just used to doing it with my big nitro Extra

Ian F.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:17 AM
latitude777

Hey Hey!

Had the maiden flight today! Yeah quick i know! This baby builds quick hey! I notice now why the hs-65's are the recommended servo..Those servo bays are tiny!! I managed to modify them and fit the Hs-81's in there but dang...Theres not alot of meat left afterwards.

Anyways, back to flying.. Very nice plane..It was very windy so havent had a chance to appreciate it fully yet, but even in wind it was very stable and very predictable.

I did notice i had my C of G too far back though...Whenever i was Inverted it started climbing ever so slightly. So i'll change that and try again tomorrow, less wind hopefully.

Any more flights so far on it Cyberfin?

Oh and i take back my comment about the torque horns wearing out..I didnt realise you get fibreglass ones with this bird! the Katana only comes with plastic hardware. Go figure!

I used ball links anyways! It just looks neat!

Here it is!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11322.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	956230  
Old 05-26-2008, 04:24 AM
latitude777

Another flight today! Less wind but was much better.

It does fantastic inverted harriers, rolling circles flat spins, etc etc..

But i am struggling with knife edges and upright harriers though...

Might still be a cg issue but not sure yet. It seems if i have the battery right back it climbs when inverted and if its right fwd it seems i have troubles in upright harriers and in knife edge it seems to pitch/roll etc I used the recommended 8% up elevator which was no where near enough. I ended up with 25% before it dissapeared. I do realise now though that this is because i have expo set up on the elevator. I guess if you have a linear setup on it you should be fine. Stupid me!

Wheres your battery cyberfin? And what is your weight without battery? Might give me some things to work on to sort this baby out!
Old 05-27-2008, 05:41 AM
Cyberfyn

It does build quick! I had mine finished in two evenings work

I have 12% elevator mixed in to the rudder for knife-edge with no problems. Still not as locked in as a true pattern ship, but it is a scale-ish Sukhoi at the end of the day. I did find it flew MUCH better in calm conditions, although it does handle the wind quite well.

My battery (Polyquest 3s 2600mAh) is as far forward as possible to get the right COG. I even had to add 10g of noseweight. Probably due to the lightweight digital JR servos I used.

Have you seen thsi vid ? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l8FBYg_Gk0

Wish I could do as neat a rolling loop Mine look more like a bad case of glitching.........

Ian F.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.