Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

lipo puffy

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 02:24 PM
TRH227

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lipo puffy

so i bought an electric plane used last month and i noticed the lipo is kinda squishy. should i just get rid of it and get more or what. i already flew once with it what are the potential concequences of using this puffy lipo? and if i should get new ones where from and what should i buy
Old 12-31-2008, 02:59 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: lipo puffy

Think of a puffed battery as a split prop you glued back togeather. It may never break, but the probability that it will is high, and usually cost you a airplane. The battery may cost you a house, life or otherwise bad thing. Just not worth the chances, chuck it. Have been using max amps batteries for a year or so with good results. Best battery buy I have found is from "Hobby King" and their Zippy or Rino lines, about half the normal price. Their quality seems good, no problems with any of them from 1350 to 4,000 mah, 25 to 30C. I see a few service squaks, my overall experience has been just fine. ENJOY
Old 12-31-2008, 11:50 PM
TRH227

ok thanks i was looking at the rhino batts. only thing im worried about is how well they hold up over time but for the conciderable amount you save buying them its not a huge loss. my friend bought some max amps for a 2wd stadium truck and they heated and melted after a couple uses but he probably just bought one not up to par with what his truck was demanding. looks like ill be making a new purchase soon. thanks for the reply
Old 01-01-2009, 12:32 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

puffy lipos are good for using with glow motor electric starter, field charging things etc ...
Old 01-01-2009, 02:28 AM
TRH227

what about using it in a electric stadium truck. if i lose power in a plane i crash, if i lose power in a car it just stops moving thats all or does it fry stuff if it malfunctions?
Old 01-01-2009, 07:29 AM
Tyler P

ORIGINAL: TRH227

what about using it in a electric stadium truck. if i lose power in a plane i crash, if i lose power in a car it just stops moving thats all or does it fry stuff if it malfunctions?
LiPos can burst into flame when they're damaged. It usually requires them being punctured but not always. I would just get rid of it.

I've been flying Zippy packs from Hobby City for 3 months and they've been excellent! And the 3S 2500 20Cs that I use perform just as well as the 2200 25C FlightPower pack I have, at a third the cost.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:43 PM
propjetdriver

I have a helimax cpv3 . Came with the charger and electrifl 910 mah lipo. Was on charge one day and took it off and noticed the battery was puffy. Soft on the top side. Flew it and charged it again. About 20 mins into I smelled smoke. The charger was melting and the battery got a bit fatter and very warm. Called helimax and they told me to discard both.They are sending replacement. I as many charge in the house and got lucky I didnt burn the place down. Now I charge in the garage in a safe area as best I can. The way I look at it would you drive your car if your car battery was bulging ? not safe. my 4 cents.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:37 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Puffed batts DO NOT mean they are going to explode or burn. I seen many many who use it over and over and over and over (not saying its right, but its an observation), despite looking like a balloon ... none has ever blown. They blow when there is a short causing over discharge or its over charged. You can use it in your RC car, why not?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Squirrlybird

If you intend on getting rid of it, DO NOT throw it away without first giving it a salt water bath.

Fill a bucket with water, dump some salt in, then drop the lipo in over night for a soak. (do not do this in a container that you care about)
The next day, it is safe to throw away. The saltwater bath slowly and fully discharges the pack entirely.

Good Luck