Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Extra MX by Precision Aerobatics

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Extra MX by Precision Aerobatics

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 04:21 PM
aerofundan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra MX by Precision Aerobatics

Hey guys i'm happy to be the first to post about this amazing airplane, i've had the chance to have a lot of flights on it, and it is the best 3D flying airplane i have flown! Here is what the website says, and also videos.

After many requests from our customers, we are finally proud to release our new 58†FiberFusion® Extra MX – Beyond the MAX!

In PA tradition, we approached this design from a fresh view point, asking ourselves (and our customers) what would make this ship the best available in its class. The answer lies in the performance, which is a direct result of the design and the matching drive system.

Keeping our airframes light and rigid was always a target for us, but with the Extra MX we have broken all records!
While the Extra MX features a larger wing area than most of the airframes available in this size category it is at least 20oz lighter than its competitors, yet is it one of the robust models around.

Its iPAs package features the most powerful yet most economical set up possible.
In this age of EP models practically any flyer owns a couple of 2200mah 3S packs.
Unlike other models in this category, we designed our Extra to be powered by those exact packs, so you don’t need to get a new charger or buy a battery that is dedicated to only one model in your hangar.

We have developed our new PA Thrust 50 motor and PA Quantum 65 ESC with a switching BEC together with the new Extra MX as a whole system that makes the MX extremely responsive providing absolute control, extreme performance and predictability, so you are able to get out of the most difficult situations with ease. All of these without having to make a costly investment for a demanding power setup essential on other heavier models. The two PA 2200mAh allow safe 6 minutes of aggressive 3D/Freestyle flight.

With its fully air-foiled control surfaces, the MX delivers both exciting high speed precision and tumbling as well as some of the best slow speed and 3D controllability available. If you want to practice precision or IMAC flying the Extra MX has the feel of a much larger aircraft. As far as rudder works goes whether it is tight Control Line Turns, Knife-Edge Snakes or just plain old Slips to landing, the Extra MX does them and does them smoothly. No mixing required, just kick out the rudder when you want it and the MX responds the way it should.
If you want to work on landings and basic aerobatics, the MX has a lighter wing loading and better flight characteristics than most “sport†planes.
However, where this plane really kills competition is in no-holds–barred 3D madness! If you want to do Harrier Rollers, Waterfalls, eye-popping Knife-Edge Spins or jaw-dropping Tumbles, then you will want to get your hands on one of these!

For maximum aerodynamics, the aileron design and construction of this model is exceptional, made in such a way that the hinge gap is completely sealed. This is quite complex to produce: the ailerons fit into the wing trailing edge tunnels and are glued and pre-aligned in the factory. Despite the laborious production of this design, we decided to produce the ailerons this way, as it allows perfect aerodynamic flow over the airfoil and results in maximum efficiency of the control surfaces.

Needless to say, the Extra MX is built using finest grade material, all cut by state-of-the-art laser and CNC machines. As any other PA model here too the two wings are removable with a CF wing tube and a CF sleeve which make the Extra MX a compact, durable, and easily transportable model.

In order to attain uniform performance for each and every model produced, we produce the planes on highly precise jigs. Each set of wings are matched individually to each fuselage (this is something most factories don’t do even in giant scales production). We assemble each airframe before shipping to ensure wing incidence, alignment and fit. All you need to do is bolt on the wings. The ailerons (as well as the stab/elevators) are already pre-hinged with the gaps sealed.

The Extra MX is one of the most complete ARFs available on the market:
â–*Wings and ailerons are pre hinged and sealed!
â–*Anti rotation pins are pre glued
â–*The pre cut cowling is made of fiberglass and is reinforced with carbon fiber. Its aerodynamic design allows air to flow in and cool the motor, batteries and ESC for maximum setup efficiency. Two air scoops are also included in the kit.
â–*Prefabricated tinted canopy and hatch is one unit attached to the model with very strong magnets.
â–*The stiff CF landing gear is pre drilled and blind nuts are pre-installed in the fuselage for quick installation.
â–*Pre glued motor box has the correct thrust line already built in and the firewall is pre-drilled ready for an outrunner installation.

Carbon fiber features
â–*CF state of the art FiberFusion® construction
â–*CF pushrods
â–*CF main spar
â–*CF wing tube
â–*CF firewall locker
â–*CF Leading edge
â–*CF reinforced cowling
â–*CF quality landing gear
â–*CF aileron trailing edge
â–*CF CNC machined battery tray
â–*CF CNC machined control horns
â–*CF motor cage reinforcements
â–*CF wing and fuselage sleeve/spar
â–*CF pre installed elevator trailing edge reinforcements
â–*CF reinforcement in the wing servo bays
â–*CF anti-rotation wing pins (pre installed in the factory)

1300W and 10lb Thrust on 2200mah!
How is this possible to get so much for so little? It is a little magic and a much understanding in Electrical Engineering. Electrical Power equals Voltage multiplied by Current. In most cases other mainstream manufacturers derive Power (Watts) by increasing the Amperage delivery of the battery packs and henceforth dictates the absolute need for large capacity pack in the order of 3200mah to over 5000mah to remain below the maximum C-rating of the packs and to obtain the desired minimum flight time. This means going big and expensive everywhere!

However the Power equation also states that increasing the voltage also increases the power without the need to increase the amperage delivery and thus only require low capacity packs in the order of 2200mah or so. Therefore going big the PA-way (which is usually the unconventional way) does not necessarily have to be expensive!

There is an added advantage of going with a higher voltage; that is it lowers the amps and that translates to lower energy lost due to heat making the entire set up more efficient.
What about flight time? As understood, battery capacity is denoted by milliamps hours (mAH), therefore the lower the amps drawn, the longer the flight time would be!
In our preliminary beta test, we test flown our prototype drive system doing aggressive 3D/Freestyle for 5 minutes and only consumed approximately 66% out of the 2200mah packs giving a potential flight time (with the same style) up to 7.5 minutes!.

Videos:

My video of it:

http://vimeo.com/6701199

PA Promo video (MUST SEE! really amazing production)

http://vimeo.com/6751586

Videos of Chris Jewett & Clarence Boudville

http://vimeo.com/5481004

http://www.vimeo.com/6774363

http://vimeo.com/5364865

for more info and videos visit

www.ExtraMX.net
www.PrecisionAerobatics.com

Old 09-30-2009, 04:23 PM
aerofundan

Default RE: Extra MX by Precision Aerobatics

here i attach a few pics of it [8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84760.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1285723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25422.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1285724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33529.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1285725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53928.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1285726  
Old 10-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Revy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The big brother to the little 260 is sweet! One that I was considering, too. Now to match my skills with the ability of these PA planes. That could take a while, lol!
Old 10-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Cleared2Engage

Just started building mine and should have the maiden this weekend. Looks fast just sitting in the livingroom. Dan, what servos are you using. A guy I know had some issues with the Hi-Tec servos that were recommended for it. I was curious to see if he had a bad elevator servo or if it was in fact under powered. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:42 PM
aerofundan

ORIGINAL: Cleared2Engage

Just started building mine and should have the maiden this weekend. Looks fast just sitting in the livingroom. Dan, what servos are you using. A guy I know had some issues with the Hi-Tec servos that were recommended for it. I was curious to see if he had a bad elevator servo or if it was in fact under powered. Thanks in advance.
Flying it with, prototype Voltec servos, they are undergoing final testing. Strange to hear problems with Hitec servos they are always really good, but i'm sure if there is any problems with Hitecs as long as they are under warranty they will fix them i think.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Cleared2Engage

Got the airframe built up and the rest of the electronics came in the mail today. Too bad I don't get home till saturday... Should have the maiden on sunday. Can't wait.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:44 AM
aerofundan

Got the airframe built up and the rest of the electronics came in the mail today. Too bad I don't get home till saturday... Should have the maiden on sunday. Can't wait.
Awesome!! what did you think of the construction when you first saw it??
Old 10-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Cleared2Engage

I was impressed with how little balsa was used. Seems pretty strong considering. Are we the only two people on RCU that has one of these??
Old 10-09-2009, 09:14 AM
aerofundan

I was impressed with how little balsa was used. Seems pretty strong considering. Are we the only two people on RCU that has one of these??
Seems so!, but A LOT of people that own it in RCG, maybe you can join us there

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&goto=newpost

Daniel
Old 10-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Cleared2Engage

Well I finally got the chance to maiden it this weekend. I was a little nervous before the first flight. Before I got the throttle to half stick, it was already in the air. I did a circuit over the field and noticed I had the battery a little too far back. After about 1 minute into the flight I decided to go in for some light 3d. This thing is great. Hovers were locked in, elevators were slow and graceful, and blenders were smooth. Even being tail heavy it flew and tracked great. After 5 minutes I decided to land. The approach was sweet and it didn't even bounce on the landing. When I pulled the battery out and charged it, I only put 1100 mah back into it. Good job with this one, PA.
Equipment used was the-
Thrust 50 and Quantum 65
HS82MG ailerons
HS85BB rudder
HS85MG elevator
Hyperion VX 22.2v 6s 2600 mah 35C
Vox 15x7 prop
Old 10-20-2009, 08:29 PM
gusser

hey guys i have one as well ...ready to maiden.. i have the hacker 40S 14 pol...with the hacker X55 esc...we shall see how this set-up works.......let you know...
Old 10-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Cleared2Engage

Gusser, welcome to the club (3 members strong on RCU...). You're gonna love this plane. Good luck on the maiden.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:58 PM
aerofundan

ORIGINAL: gusser

hey guys i have one as well ...ready to maiden.. i have the hacker 40S 14 pol...with the hacker X55 esc...we shall see how this set-up works.......let you know...
Welcome to the club!, i invite you to visit RCG where there is a lot more happy owners of the MX
Old 11-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Robbbie

I just finished mine up and put the first flight on it. Complete PA set up. Oh boy!!! I was blown away by the power, slow filght of this beast. No plane on the market has this type of preformance in a 58" wing period. I have a 51" slick from 3DHS, love it but the PA MX eats its lunch. Love the two 3s lipo set up. I ordered 8 from Hobbie King $ 135.00. The battery size is nice for alot of your 39/43" electricts. Go buy this plane.

Robbie
Old 11-25-2009, 07:54 AM
dannfive0

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever since I got my AMR I've wanted the MX. Its about to be winter so maybe a spring project for 2010
Old 11-25-2009, 09:22 AM
aerofundan

ORIGINAL: Robbbie

I just finished mine up and put the first flight on it. Complete PA set up. Oh boy!!! I was blown away by the power, slow filght of this beast. No plane on the market has this type of preformance in a 58'' wing period. I have a 51'' slick from 3DHS, love it but the PA MX eats its lunch. Love the two 3s lipo set up. I ordered 8 from Hobbie King $ 135.00. The battery size is nice for alot of your 39/43'' electricts. Go buy this plane.

Robbie
Welcome to teh club Robbie!!
Old 11-27-2009, 08:51 PM
qd25

Hi i own it's little brother they are a nice plane but this carbon fusion is a bit of a have mine also arrived with the servo mount in the wing that was not even glued and one of the cf landing gear that was 15 mm longer then the other LOL says alot about quality control but then it is made in china like 99 %of all the other ARFplanes on the market
Old 11-30-2009, 11:32 AM
aerofundan

ORIGINAL: qd25

Hi i own it's little brother they are a nice plane but this carbon fusion is a bit of a have mine also arrived with the servo mount in the wing that was not even glued and one of the cf landing gear that was 15 mm longer then the other LOL says alot about quality control but then it is made in china like 99 %of all the other ARFplanes on the market
PA makes the highest quality ARF's in this size, remember that if you have any quality problems contact PA all of the airplanes / electronics have warranty.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:21 PM
qd25

ORIGINAL: aerofundan

ORIGINAL: qd25

PA makes the highest quality ARF's in this size, remember that if you have any quality problems contact PA all of the airplanes / electronics have warranty.

I did contact them sent several emails without a reply, so i fixed the problem myself but this will be my first and last plane from Precision Aerobatics [&o]
Old 12-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Braeckman

I am wondering about your statement, because I am in contact with PA since a little more than 4 years now, and all I can say is that they are the most dedicated people to a product....

and yes, the PA planes are made "like 99% of the ARF kits on the market today in China"...but on the contrary of 99% of the products on the world market...the PA product is made in their own factory.

and yes I like very much when people are complaining about a product, that these people have a name and an signature. Anonymous complains make me alsways think that there is something else hidden behind the complain....

Alvin
Old 12-14-2009, 08:42 AM
aerofundan

I Agree with Alvin, well anyway on a more positive note check this out new video of the Extra MX!

http://www.vimeo.com/8104007

Daniel
Old 02-27-2010, 05:25 PM
steven4472

just got my mx yesterday and wow.i have the 51slick,lil edge,and the 55"edge from 3dhs.the first one i got from a local dealer was the slick.the canopy on this plane was collapsed along with the cowling.of coarse the dealer wont take responsibility for it.then i got the 48" edge after seeing one of my friends fly his looked cool.i baught mine after his and didnt have the tinted canopy like his.this made me think the dealer was trying to get rid of old stuff and because i didnt know any better sold it to me.so i wanted something bigger and got the 55"3dhs edge from the same dealer.again the canopy fit terrible had to sand and adjust for hours to get that to my liking.the horizontal stab opening was way off in alignment to the wing.had to work with this for hours to get this right.last thing i noticed is one of the wings at the trailing edge were it meets the fuse has a 5\16 inch gap and cant fix this.told local dealer and he said the wing toob too long.lil does he know i am a hi-end finish carpenter by trade for 28years so i think i know a thing or two about wood and jointsglue etc.when i started putting my mx together the only thing i had to do was open alignment pin hole a lil to fit right thats it everything was perfect.my opinion is the difference between pa and any others you want to look at is.when pa makes a mistake it might take you a little bit of work to fix.when the other manufactures make a mistake chances are it will take you along time to fix if at all.usually means you cant fix it.for the extra $30 i would recomend the mx over any 3dhs plane any day.precision aerobatics is way ahead of anybody else when it comes to all around function and performance.3dhs is a great plane for someone who is hard on planes and doesnt mind the extra weight.but your really taking a gamble with small things wrong or out of allignment with any other arf.the pa mx reminds me of a chevy truck mechanically.it seems as though someone has allready put it together and took it apart.to make sure it works right and everything fits.comes with great instructions even a stupic cd for you to watch.3dhs tells you to watch there build video which is ok except very impersonal.just shabby quallity and no craftsmenship involved.go with pa and you wont be disappointed.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:29 PM
steven4472

does any one have info for me.i have reaper 45-60 wondering if one of these would be good for the mx?i really dont want to use 2-3spacks for flight.rather just do one 4cell.was thinking maybe 60 is slightly lighter than the thrust 50
Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 AM
aerofundan

Hi Steven, i recommend you check the RCG MX thread which is very active and there is a lot of people that have tried different setups.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&goto=newpost
Old 08-11-2012, 01:21 PM
[email protected]

HI , I HAVE THE PA EXTRA MX.AND THE THRUST 50 MOTOR. THE INSTRUCTIONS CALL FOR THE BRASS COLLAR TO BE INSTALLED ON THE SHAFT BEFORE THE PROP ADAPTER. THERE IS THE ONLY 1/8 INCH LEFT FOR THE ADAPTER. HOW IS THIS DONE. IT SAYS NOT TO DRILL OUT THE MOTOR BOX HOLE FOR THE SHAFT?

THANKYOU,NORM NEBEL E-MAIL [email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.