Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying! > 3D electric flying forum
Reload this Page >

Razor Hobbies 30CC SBach ?

Notices
3D electric flying forum Discuss indoor/outdoor 3D electrics in our 3D electric forum.

Razor Hobbies 30CC SBach ?

Old 08-12-2013, 05:46 AM
DanWard
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Razor Hobbies 30CC SBach ?

I have a hanger full of electric up through a 57" 3DHS 330SC but have had the
bug to get to a bigger gasser plane. I love the looks of SBach and MXS-R and if
kept in the 30CC size it will just work better all the way around, budget,
transport, etc.

I have come across a NIB SBach produced by Razor Hobbies in Baytown Texas.
Not knowing much I have spent some time Googling and while I found references to
the typical problems any hobby shop has (would be tough to be a hobby show owner
IMO) being in business today. All my Googling seems to be void of any actual
flight video or reviews for the Razor Hobbies 30CC SBach.

Sometimes I am not one with Google and other search tools. Therefore I am
asking this question here in hopes someone can point me to some post or provide
some rubber meets the pavement feedback.

Thanks,
Old 10-23-2013, 03:40 PM
FLYMIKE

Well its not bad price, average price for 30cc but its new. I cant find anything on it and the pic doesn't help. For me when looking I look for the same model that has been out for awile with reviews, and upgrades like carbon fiber. I question Razor's carbon landing gear and then aluminum reinforced, but maybe thats a typo. I like that its out of Texas. Just so you know Sbachs are low wing planes. Ive been looking at 30cc planes also. There are a lot of choices. You made me look at Sbachs and I found Aerobeez very appealing. It's a 4th generation with all the bells, and a little cheaper. I'm looking for a 30cc to do a review on myself. I fly 3D so I'm partial to mid wing, but who knows. If you get it let me know, I want to see pics.

Last edited by FLYMIKE; 10-23-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:49 PM
DanWard

Thanks for the reply. I did end up buying the Razor Hobbies Sbach.

At 25% off list price, with every bag in the box still sealed new from the factory, and when you open the box you find the instructions are Pilot RC instructions...I rolled the dice and brought it home.

When I found this opportunity I had just finished reading a review on the Aerobeez 30CC Sback in Model Airplane News. I had even gone as far as contacting Aerobeez and asked a few questions, was just about to pull the trigger, when this one literally fell in my lap.

Razor Hobbies is out of Baytown which is just a stones throw from where I live. I called Razor and went by for a visit. I asked a lot of questions like, "why does it come with instructions for a Pilot RC airframe." At this point I had already read the Pilot RC instructions which read like a 30CC one size fits all instruction manual for all 30CC air frames that Pilot has, Sbach, Yak, Edge, etc. The Razor rep sort of hem-hee-hawed around my question without ever really giving me a straight answer...but that is OK, if I was trying to private label an ARF I might do what needs doing and not always want to explain the motivation to every customer.

Here is where the conjecture on my part begins because I really don't know anything. Long story short and just my opinion based on my research and at the end of the conversation with Razor I had myself convinced that somewhere in China is a few select airplane manufactures. These few manufactures are willing to tweak there manufacturing effort to accommodate the companies that want to private label what this factory builds. They will tweak the covering, some of the structure, some of assembly process such as gluing practices, tweak the carbon fiber content, etc. until it matches what the private labeler wants. Once an agreement is reached a batch is built, private labeled as agreed upon, and put in a container for delivery to the USA, in this case Razor Hobbies in Baytown Texas. Razor not having the bandwidth to publish their own instructions put what the manufacture had available and thus I get a plane with Pilot RC 30cc instructions. Could be, stranger things have happened.

I don't know about the aluminum reinforcements, everything I see is carbon fiber. It even came with a carbon fiber spinner as a standard feature.

And you mentioned low wing? I just had to open it when I got it home and dry fit just to see what I got. The carbon fiber wing tub is near center line of fuselage or slightly lower but no were near bottom. When assembled wing location is very near where it is on all my other 3D planes. Rear stabilizer is also 2 piece with carbon fiber tube.

Unfortunately shortly after the purchase life got real. Work is off the deep end, minimum 50 hours a week. My dad who I take care of is 95 and has become a time sink but he raised me, time for me to return the favor. It seems everywhere I turn someone needs my time more than I do. So OK, the Sbach sits and waits.

This is really out of my budget so the purchase took available cash for now so while I replenish the cash I need to research.

Everything I have is electric which being an EE I understand electric.

I know nothing about gas so I am learning. Maybe a DLE 35 rear exhaust? Or maybe the Valleyview RC twin 40cc that they say fits in a 30CC cowl? Twin sounds sweet (literally sounds nice as well as being smoother than a single) and Valleyview has all the right answers...

I know nothing about this size plane when it comes to receivers, servos, power systems, dual servos for elevator, ignition kill switch, and the list goes on. And cost seems to go up exponentially with size. But I am having fun and about the time life gives me the time I should have the cash :-)

I will try to post a couple of pictures. They are not the best but it is what I took with my phone.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0231.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	1932390   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0230.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	1932391  
Old 01-18-2015, 08:02 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hay Dan
To cold to be out side flying, and waiting for bits for my new bird. Was just surfing RCU and found your thread. I am not a 3der just a fair sport and scale flier

If you are going to go gas and on a tight budget look at Bp Hobbies RCGF engines Price is right. that said I and my flying buddy are flying them I have 2 of there 26's and a 62 he has 2 of there 45 singles and a coupla of twins 1 40 and 1 bigger but don't remember size, any way we have been running them for the last 3 years with great luck. I have one of my 26 in an OLD Dragon Lady @ 13 lbs and it flies it like a wild hair On drugs, and a want to be pitts 1/4 scale @ 14lbs and it flies great all airobatic, my buddies are in 1/3 scale Christin eagle, Pitts.

But I have a question as long as you are in the sparky thing anyway why not go that way, it might be a easer way to go

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377 Corsair Brotherhood # 6
Old 02-11-2015, 04:04 PM
DanWard

I am wanting smoke and so far...electric smoke is never a good thing :-)
Old 02-11-2015, 07:33 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by DanWard View Post
I am wanting smoke and so far...electric smoke is never a good thing :-)
Yep but there is some out fit that makes a smoke device but once you start it it has to burn out even colors

Cheers Bob T
Old 05-02-2016, 02:33 PM
propwashed
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by rt3232 View Post
Hay Dan
To cold to be out side flying, and waiting for bits for my new bird. Was just surfing RCU and found your thread. I am not a 3der just a fair sport and scale flier

If you are going to go gas and on a tight budget look at Bp Hobbies RCGF engines Price is right. that said I and my flying buddy are flying them I have 2 of there 26's and a 62 he has 2 of there 45 singles and a coupla of twins 1 40 and 1 bigger but don't remember size, any way we have been running them for the last 3 years with great luck. I have one of my 26 in an OLD Dragon Lady @ 13 lbs and it flies it like a wild hair On drugs, and a want to be pitts 1/4 scale @ 14lbs and it flies great all airobatic, my buddies are in 1/3 scale Christin eagle, Pitts.

But I have a question as long as you are in the sparky thing anyway why not go that way, it might be a easer way to go

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377 Corsair Brotherhood # 6
+1 on the RCGF referal! those engines run great! And if on a budget can't be beat.

RCG 30cc Gas engine w/ CD-Ignition 3.9HP/2.94kw (US Warehouse)
$232.62
from hobbyking.com

Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rcg30cc.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	2160554  
Old 07-21-2020, 01:09 AM
HeidyD

Wow, it is amazing! Congrats!