RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Electric Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/)
-   -   Mini Ultimate Biplane 3D (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/1445645-mini-ultimate-biplane-3d.html)

RysiuM 01-19-2004 03:37 PM

Mini Ultimate Biplane 3D

I don't have pictures yet, but it's comming: Mini Ultimate Biplane 3D.
I took something from FoamyFactory's Ultimate Biplane, something from the top of my head, something from scraps of depron laying around and I created brand new 16in wingspan biplane. The wing area is a little over 1 sq foot, and all depron parts weight 20g, so with CF, glue and tape the plane will weight around 1 oz. For the power I have direct drive CD-ROM conversion - a little 20grams BL motor that delivers up to 40W of power.
Anyway expected weight all together between 4 and 5 oz.

Stay tuned, I will post plans and report how this thing flies 3D:D

RysiuM

hroachen 01-19-2004 09:18 PM

RE: Mini Ultimate Biplane 3D

1 Attachment(s)
Very cool...

I did almost the same thing, using Tim H's 23" Ultimate as a starting point I made some modifications and came up with a "shockified" version of the plane. I stayed with the 23" span but went wider on the chord and increased the ailerons. I'm right at 2 sq ft wing area. I used the X-section fuelage like the Shockflyers and did the landing gear in a manner along the lines of the Shockflyer as well.

Mine is powered by a Typhoon Micro6 with GWS 8x4.3 SF prop, Castle Phoenix10, and 2S Kokam 340 pack. 3 Cirrus 4.4g servos, GWS 4p rx. All up weight is 6.5 ounces, wing loading 3.25 oz/sq ft.

Can't wait to see pics of yours, here are a few of mine:

hroachen 01-19-2004 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more:

Greg Covey 01-20-2004 10:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Aren't foam Ultimates a blast?!?! :)

RysiuM 01-20-2004 10:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Greg Covey
Aren't foam Ultimates a blast?!?! :)
Very nice looking plane. What is that?

RysiuM

hroachen 01-20-2004 10:45 AM

Greg,

That looks SWEET! Is that a kit or scratchbuilt? details...

Greg Covey 01-20-2004 11:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's the same concept as RysiuM's above, a bashed FoamyFactory Ultimate made from EPP foam, Depron, and balsa. It uses a GWS DX-C motor, 10x4.7 prop, and a 3-cell, Kokam 340 pack.

Here's another one that I bashed so much, it no longer resembles an Ultimate. :)

The larger one on the left is made from Depron ARF wings cut from a Hobby Lobby Sky beetle, coraplast fuselage, and a Nippy Black 0808 power sytem. Awesome power!

The smaller one is a modified Formoplast Cannonshot (aka Kavanshot at Hobby People).

I posted a video of these in the Foamies forum. I'll post a video of the Ultimate soon in the Indoor forum and link it here too.

Greg Covey 01-20-2004 01:10 PM

Here is a 5meg video of Lynn's Ultimate. Apparently, we didn't shoot any aerobatic maneuvers but you can see the stability and power.

It looped and rolled but barely had the power to hover. We have newer, lighter versions now that i'll post later.

[link=http://www.gregcovey.com/RCU/LynnsUltimate.wmv]Lynn's Ultimate[/link]

mAvRiCk-inactive 01-20-2004 01:52 PM

Nice man...hey how far are you from Connecticut. I'm an hour away from ERick R. Hope to get in touch soon

Dan

hroachen 01-20-2004 07:23 PM

I'm not far from Trumbull, maybe an hour.

RysiuM 02-01-2004 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK guys,

Here it is.

Measurements:
- Wingspan = 16 inches
- Length = 18 inches (from the tail to the tip of motor shaft)
- Wing area = 152 sq inches (both wings)
- Total weight = 115g (4.2 oz)

Radio:
- 3 servos Cirrus 4.2 (all four ailerons, elevator, rudder)
- GWS Pico receiver (new version)

Power:
- CD-ROM conversion motor (brushless)
- GWS 7 x 3.5 prop direct drive
- Phoenix 10 ESC
- 2s1p 340 LiPo

All wings are rudder made of 3mm depron, fuselage made of 5mm depron. 3mm cf tube in both wings, depron landing gear. Plane is painted with permanent markers (they are not quite 'permanent' as the paint is still kind of sticky.
The plane has around 7 oz max static thrust and with 3.9 oz/sq ft wingloading I expect it to be a 3D performer.

Here are the pictures.

RysiuM

RysiuM 02-01-2004 01:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Next picture

RysiuM 02-01-2004 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And the last one with the view of the motor.

I'm going to test fly it today (if wearther permits). I will report later.

RysiuM

hroachen 02-01-2004 10:19 PM

NICE. [8D]

RysiuM 02-02-2004 02:46 AM

I have flown my little biplane today. It was a little windy (5-5 mph), but the wind would be not a problem as long as it's steady. When I flew my biplane the air was 'bumpy' so it was not the perfect environment for the test flight. But I flew it anyway.
First minute I was quite busy trying to keep it in the air and in sight. My biplane was squirrelly (on low rates). I landed it and then reprogrammed my radio from 35 expo to 60. I have also lowered the rates from 60 to 50 ATV (keeping high rates at 100).
I have moved the battery all the way backward - I looked like nose heavy. Next flight was a dream. Hands off flying very stable. I have just needed to used to turn using rudder only. Funny thing, the swiped wing forces it to level flight and ailerons will never make it to turn. This biplane can fly perfect knife edge still straight.

Power was more than enough to hover and go straight up during all the flight. The total flight on 2s1p 340 LiPo was about 5 minutes, and after that just, out of the blue, I got a dead stick. Then I learned, this plane doesn't glide at all. It just went down like a rock. So today I used 3 batteries, I had three dead sticks and three times landing gear was broken off. I need to make a stronger main gear (maybe CF).

I wish I can fly it indoor, just to see, how it behaves without the wing and turbulences.

One more thing - without gearbox this plane is whispering quiet.

RysiuM

crashingagain 02-02-2004 07:41 PM

You ought to take it over to RC Country and fly it inside if the weather stays bad[8D]

RysiuM 02-02-2004 07:48 PM

ORIGINAL: crashingagain
You ought to take it over to RC Country and fly it inside if the weather stays bad[8D]
That's a good place for flying - at least a good company with all the planes hanging of the ceiling. Bit first I need to replace the landing gear and improve dead stick behavior. I still didn't figure out the 'sweet spot' for CG. I just need more air time on to get it trimmed and than I will fly it 'anywhere'.

RysiuM

RysiuM 03-01-2004 03:32 PM

After a couple flights outdoor with no wind I found this bipe 'to stable'. It behaved like a trainer and wanted to fly straight and level. But I wanted 3D bipe. So tis small toy is no more.

I have created a sister bipe with rectangular wing (not swept like original) and 50% bigger tail. Everything is the same except landing gear - I used wire this time.
Total weight = 4.3oz (with 2x340 LiPo).

Now it is 3D guy. It does all including very nice flat spins. It will wobble on harrier but without corrections doesn't go out of control. On calm day or indoor I can fly it with the walking speed just inches above the ground. Rolls and snaps are so fast, that requires good eyes to stop at the right orientation.:D
Saying no more, it is IT. I'm planing to show up at Stockton Indoor flying this month.

ORIGINAL: crashingagain
With this one I would try.

RysiuM

patternflyer1 03-06-2004 11:41 PM

Where and when is the Stockton indoor flying? Thanks, maybe I'll see ya there.

RysiuM 03-07-2004 04:22 AM

ORIGINAL: patternflyer1
Where and when is the Stockton indoor flying? Thanks, maybe I'll see ya there.
It's Sunday, March 21, 2004 Bldg #2 San Joaquin Fairgrounds.
See the following link for more information.

[link=http://www.deltamodelers.org/events.htm]http://www.deltamodelers.org/events.htm[/link]

RysiuM

Ian.W 03-07-2004 10:41 AM

RysiuM: i whent to a talk about indoor RC flying, this guy flew a 0.9oz plane! it was amazing, admitadly not 3D but 0.9OZS!!!!!