RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Electric Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/)
-   -   3DFOAMY.com closing up shop...... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/2737660-3dfoamy-com-closing-up-shop.html)

WhtBronco 03-07-2005 03:48 PM

3DFOAMY.com closing up shop......

I am really bummed to see that 3DFOAMY.com is closing up shop. I really want to get a plane or 2 from them, and I guess now is the time. I wanted to wait until I had the time to assemble and fly them before I bought them. I certainly hope someone will by Levi’s business. My wife said NO. Dang and I though I just might have had a chance to get out of the IT world that way. Oh well, back to maintaining the network for another 30 years.

8KCABrett 03-07-2005 04:07 PM

RE: 3DFOAMY.com closing up shop......

Hmm. . . that sucks. . . I didn't see the little link at the top "Business for sale" at first. Well, that's really a shame, the kits are awesome, I guess I need to order a crate of them.

RChobby53 03-07-2005 04:09 PM

The website is still up.

Furyflyer2 03-07-2005 04:12 PM

They were at the wram show, where did you hear this at?

mvigod 03-07-2005 04:12 PM

Is this true or false rumor you heard? He was just at WRAM and gave no indication of this. where did you get this information?

WhtBronco 03-07-2005 04:56 PM

I got it right from Levi's website, www.3dfoamy.com. In the top left corner. If it's a hoax Levi has pulled a really good one.

I know none, or few of you know me, but I would never propogate a rumor like this. Levi's planes and customer service are too good for that kind of irresponsible act.

April 1st is the end of the line, according to Levi's website.

mvigod 03-07-2005 05:04 PM

I don't see it. can you screen cap it and post it? nothing in top left corner on my view? anyone else see it?

Ian.W 03-07-2005 05:09 PM

i cant either.

8KCABrett 03-07-2005 05:15 PM

At first my post said the same thing. . that I didn't see it, then after going back again I did see it in the top left just to the left of "Catalog"

I just checked my IE history and I do have a link to the for sale page, it's not a hoax (unless it's the work of a hacker ?!?!), but it does look like Levi removed the link, so perhaps he's changed his mind. That'd be cool!!

I will PM the link to you RCadmin.

Papakeith 03-07-2005 05:46 PM

look at the closing date closely. Let's hope it's an april fools joke.

fingers crossed hoping[:o]
I checked the number that was posted, and it was Listed as Levi and Brooke's. Would be a shame if it were true.

I don't see the link up any more though.

Just noticed that the link to the mini pros is now gone from the catalog page too.

WhtBronco 03-07-2005 05:56 PM

Well the link on Levi's site is now gone. It was there, I promise it was. Atleast 2 others in this thread saw it as well. I would never start crap like this, never. Maybe it was just an April fool's joke. Haha very funny Levi.

Ben-Rod 03-07-2005 06:27 PM

Wow, I sure hope not. I ordered a raven kit on the 22nd of Feb, sure hope things are ok. I couldnt see any info on the sight. Must be an early April Fools joke. Ha Ha Ha

Ben

rightflyer 03-07-2005 07:12 PM

I suspect it wasn't Levi who put it there-maybe a hacker. too bad people don't have been things to do. I for one am looking forward to shockie-style mini-kits!

Levi_Jordan 03-07-2005 08:43 PM

Hi guys, Levi here from 3DF…. I suppose everyone wants to know what is going on…. Well, 3DF is my love. I’ve recently gotten negative comments on some of these forums and it’s taken a toll on me personally, as well as my wife. It’s also kept me away from watching my new born girl, Skyla grow up. She’s starting to crawl and eat food, and it just seems yesterday I was at the hospital bringing her home….

I have lived, breathed and dreamed R/C airplanes since I was 5. Building control line planes with dad and spending all my allowance on Cox fuel and airplanes. I got marginal grades in school because I was always dreaming of airplanes… 

So I start up my dream business…..and all is great. I give away free plans, make some good kits, and do my best at everything I approach…. Thus 3D Foamy Models was born.

6 months into the game I was watching monthly sales double each month… I quit school to meet demand for the products, my wife cut back on her work and we were having a blast….

Then the problems began…. Mostly with shipping problems. See, we were custom manufacturing kits to order… and people were excited to order, and missed the “please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery” that was on the shopping cart pages. Next thing you know there’s a group of people ranting how we did them wrong.

I can understand complaints. Every company gets them. But with the advent of forums, one unhappy customer suddenly has a audience of thousands, and obviously only one side of the story is told. “3DF took my money and I didn’t get my stuff yet” Course that person never goes back as says that it did arrive and was great. And if anyone has had a complaint with my company, they will also tell that I have bent over backwards to help out, replace, or refund to set it straight.

Anyhow, We completely shut down the order system and shipped out all backorders. Refused to take more orders until we had inventory…. And have just recently opened it back up to allow only items that are in stock to be ordered.

The thing that is really burning me up is the lack of respect that seems to have flourished in the recent months. Instead of a e-mail requesting help on a problem, it’s a threat. “Fix this or I’m going to trash you on RCU or RCGroups, etc…

People take me through the dirt over made up stories, and imagined scenarios of what were doing here at the shop. So I respond to them, fill in the blanks, and just get more flack. So then I ignore the complainers and go on with life…. Then suddenly I have poor support…

The misconception of our size is a result of good website design, superior products, and great support. But people have come to expect Wall Mart support 24-7 and I simply cannot provide it. The expectation is every e-mail answered in hours, orders shipped in hours, and superb product. Well I can do 2 of those 3…

I chose to provide a superb product and ship it quickly… and that commitment has left many unanswered e-mails and some unhappy people…

So when I came home from a 2 week trip to NY and I hear the things my wife had to deal with from some inconsiderate customers… I threw up my hands in frustration and said this is not my Hobby, this is not the love I had. We talked about shutting it down, selling, cutting back, or getting some help from larger companies.

Anyone knows that you don’t mess with a mans family, and I was very frustrated at the way mine has been treated as a result of 3D Foamy business. In frustration, I made that “for sale” page on the website that you are referring to (no hackers or pranks  ). I wasn’t planning on publishing that page, but it inadvertently got published when I uploaded the videos from the WRAM show….

Our intentions were to consider selling the business, or designs and equipment to allow us as a family to focus on the “real” issues in life. Like God, Family, Friends…..

After spending the evening in thought, discussion, and prayer, it seems as though my blunder in publishing the for sale page provided the answer of what we need to do with .

When you guys saw the “for sale” I was flooded with phone calls a few hours ago…. All expressing gratitude, offering suggestions, help, and support. When it’s all said and done, I realize that the few problems we have had are not that big of a deal… and that I just need to take a little personality out of the business.

Since this thread has already started, I guess all I can do is shed this light on the situation…. I hope that you’ll kindly share with me your suggestions and comments.

So just to make it clear… 3DF isn’t going anywhere. This is my love, my life, my dedication. So order away, kits are in stock, we’ll be standing by to ship them out and continue supplying the best kits we can come up with.

exeter_acres 03-07-2005 09:25 PM

Keep up the good work....

I just finished one and it looks great...too windy to fly so no maiden yet!

Glad you are going to be around for a while!!

3D ONdaEDGE 03-07-2005 09:34 PM

Sorry for all the complaints you have been getting, but I have no complaints. My 3dFoamy is excellent. Superb. I am really happy to see you decide to keep the business alive, because I would love to continue purchasing 3dFoamy kits for many years to come.

vicman 03-07-2005 09:42 PM

Levi, I am glad to hear it! I almost went ahead and downloaded all your plans this morning when I read the website. I love my F-18 and have attempted to defend your honour here in RCU many times to the malcontents. Make sure you check your mailbox in the next few days.;)

One of your first and most appreciative customers!

RickC2009 03-07-2005 09:44 PM

Sounds like growing pains!

mvigod 03-07-2005 09:48 PM

Unfortunately the "do this for me or else I'm off to the forums to trash you" is something I have heard from a few vendors in the last couple months. While the internet is the great equalizer so to speak I am sure from the vendors I've spoke with who are all very nice and reasonable people would accomodate almost all reasonable requests from customers without the need for threats such as this. Just something to keep in mind when dealing with these companies and their owners.

Now of course there will be exceptions to this from time to time but please do try and get things accomplished without resorting to threats as you might find vendors are actually quite accomodating for their customers when issues are presented in a reasonable fashion.

I think Levi's post clears up this question and confusion we all had regarding this page that Chris brought to our attention.

JohnVH 03-07-2005 09:49 PM

Nice post Levi, you do awesome work, have the best planes out there, and Ill do anything I can to help you guys out.

Say hi to Brooke and the little one for me.

JV

PS. Check your email.

vicman 03-07-2005 09:54 PM

Its nice to see the RCU guys backing this up! I know John has come in to back me up a time or two in stating truths about 3DF. Try getting a free plan from anyone else!

Levi_Jordan 03-07-2005 10:48 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys.... All politics and manufacturer competition aside, I would like to think that we are a tight knit group of guys and gals who share a talant that many envy... the ability to control speeding bullets around the sky with amaging agility...

thedak 03-07-2005 10:50 PM

Shut em down, open up shop, that's the way Ruff Ryders roll.

WhtBronco 03-07-2005 11:10 PM

Ya know everytime I read something from Levi or review his website I am more impressed with this man. He has a passion for what he does and IMO he does it well. He also understands priorities. As he stated God and family need to come first, hopefully there will be time left for he and his wife to continue their tradition of excellent airplane manufacturing and from what I have seen fantastic customer service. Levi seems like a real class act to me.

Soon I will be buying the Advantage bipe and then the Edge 540.

Looper 03-07-2005 11:16 PM

Hang in there! You have plenty of devoted customers. I am happy with your service and love the fact that you are a little guy trying to please an audience that is bent on immediate gratification. Keep up the good work; your new system of inventory control will work well. Best of life and continued success...Looper