RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Electric Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/)
-   -   Easy to build fullbody 3D plane. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-electric-flying-237/3017500-easy-build-fullbody-3d-plane.html)

Freakazoid 05-27-2005 02:45 PM

Easy to build fullbody 3D plane.

Hi all,

Ive been looking for a long time for the right plane for me to start doing serious aerobatics, but have not succeeded sofar. What im looking for is a nice looking 3D capable plane, but most of em are profile ones. But I REALLY dont like guts sticking out. :) I dont mind flat wings, but I want a fuselage to hide all the servo and ESC crud into. :D

Someone got some suggestions?

DHG 05-27-2005 04:23 PM

RE: Easy to build fullbody 3D plane.

I'm workin' on it ...

... slowly ...

Nice to hear nobody's beat me to it yet. Don't tell Levi at 3dFoamy.com, though, or he might! :eek:

What I have in mind isn't exactly "fullbody," however. It's more like an enclosed top, profile bottom type of thing -- a semi A-frame, if you will. The challenge is to get decent looks and the same or better rigidity than the profile models, but with the same or less total material (i.e., weight).

I agree, all those external warts and dangling wires are tough for us old slimer types to accept. It's drag! And it's not fuel-proof, for heaven's sake! ;)

Freakazoid 05-27-2005 04:36 PM

I like my planes like I like my ladies. Silent, Smooth, nicely curved, and one hell of a wild ride. :D

But anyway, are you aiming for a frame like the Split 280? Its kind of a box frame with the belly bit open.

Ive seen a nice plane, but its a bit to tricky to build. Its the christen Eagle.
http://www.potensky.cz/Images/Christ...gle550x301.jpg
Looks nice, flies nice, and is priced nice, but its hardly an ARF. You even need to hotwire, sand, and saw parts in order to build it. Its more like a kit. I almost bought one, but theres way to much mess to get through for my liking.

DHG 05-27-2005 05:56 PM

Freakazoid,

Yes, sort of like the Split, at least in the motor mount area. (I especially like that it's "fürs Pylonfliegen gedacht" ... now they're talking my language!) But for the rest of the fuse, below the equator, I think it needs to be either a profile of 6mm Depron or a wrap over the top, pinch at the bottom sort of deal using thinner Depron. I bought some 2mm and 3mm sheets just for the heck of it.

Obviously, it wouldn't be as scalelike as that Christen Eagle -- but it would be much simpler to assemble and, I hope, lighter. Access to the radio components would be the trick. Maybe part of the installation could still be out in the breeze -- the rudder and elevator servos, perhaps, with the receiver, ESC and all the wires stuffed into the top part of the fuse. I'd want to slide the battery in & out from the side, just like on a profile model. Good cooling there.

Like I said, I'm still pipe-dreaming at this point. Perhaps I'll start cutting this weekend. Got access to a digi-cam, may have to actually try to upload some pictures.

Emperor Origami

lwatson 05-29-2005 09:22 AM

Get the Hellraiser from Horseflyhobbies. I love my Hellraiser, at 11.5 AUW and straight up vertical on a Appogee 830 3S. Check out the threads on this plane.

Larry

Fly-n-3D 05-29-2005 12:15 PM

Get the mini Funtana or the mini Edge from www.horizonhobby.com

tf2psycho 05-29-2005 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the yak 54f hides everything inside ;)full body foamie
and very ausome 3d knife edge hovering machine that i fly in 10 mph wind
everyday.. even cracked the fuse in half on a real bad low knife edge flite that hit ground (i was totaly spacing out and thinking about money at the time )
glued the f..er and still flying with it today.. massive props to the yak 54f
for taking a hit to the ground sideways ,fixing easily, and flying the same, if not stronger :D.........the mini edge looks insane i would buy it today if it was out:D

Freakazoid 05-29-2005 03:24 PM

lwatson: The horsefly is made entireley out of sheets of very thin depron. That means its EXTREMELY fragile. I know there is no plane thats indestructible, but the depron things can even crack right through when it touches down slightly to hard on its wheels. Its more an indoor plane, and im looking for some 3D capable parkflyer. But they sure do look nice though. :)

RC13: Mini funtana.. Downright awesome little plane. Good size, lovely curvings, and I bet it flies rocksolid too. But isnt it a "build and cover" kit? Im not very good with wood and ironing. :D

tf2psycho: First one looks awesome, second one looks a little skimpy but still ok, third and last are downright ugly. I dont like visible sparrs n such.

To all of you, I think I forgot to mention a few little things. Its my first 3D plane, and I plan on learning to hover on it. So basicly that means buying a buttload of depron or wood and covering, or making sure the plane is EPP. I also dont have a concrete or similar runway, so it ll have to be verticle takeoff, and harrier landing or a prophanging catch.

tf2psycho 05-29-2005 03:43 PM

wot[>:] you better get a tribute then if its your first 3d plane [X(]then we will talk about the so called ugly 2nd place winner yak54f which i get complements daily on how real looking and great flying it is ..good luck with the heavy balsa that you probally wont be able to catch or foamie without wing spars lol...

Freakazoid 05-29-2005 04:20 PM

The tribute, by god, id rather die than be seen with that thing. :eek: I dont understand why anyone would ever dare call that thing a trainer, its freaking fragile. A trainee would break that thing in a day. You can start about instructors, but if you had an instructor, you can learn 3D on a halfscale pitts special. :)

The second plane real looking? No offence, but you must be joking, Is your club is heavily populated with S.P.A.D. flyers or something? :D And without spars is perfectly possible, just dont use flimzy depron pancake wings. Just look at the christen eagle.

Theres lots of nice looking foamers (EPP!), that are nice and dosile, and fly quite forgiving. The UZI XL from potensky is also very nice and flies on rails. Capable of doing anything. But its got the same problem as the christen eagle. Then theres the T3D II, flies FREAKING AWESOME, but its impossible for me to get one without getting ripped to pieces by the redicilous prices of customs and shipping. Hobbylobby also has a nice one called "Miracle" Nice colorfull finish, looks good and flies good, same problem as the T3D.. Like I said, lots of examples, All I have to do is get lucky and find one thats available near me for a reasonable price.

tf2psycho 05-29-2005 04:34 PM

dude dont even knock the yak 54f because it is more real looking then most foamies out there
you obviously never even flown the yak54f or you wouldnt be having this decision instead you would be bragging like me .....as the tribute goes im sure thats all you will be able to handle because you like the tribute are a dinosaur in my book...and if crashing the tribute straight into the ground from 50 ft and walking away with just a bent prop shaft is fragile then your right!
dont get pissed because i called you a dinosaur but thats what they call the tribute since it basically started the 3d craze

bdavison 05-29-2005 04:53 PM

The mini funtana from e-flite is an ARF.
Its pre-built and pre-covered.
I plan on picking one of these up soon.
Sounds to me like its right up your alley.

tf2psycho 05-29-2005 04:58 PM

have you read the mini funtana forums just be sure to use plenty of throttle on landing or else kiss it goodbye more fragile then the ugly yak or tribute hahhahahhahahahhahahha

"The foam is MUCH lighter than Coroplast (a corrugated sheet plastic, commonly used to build gas powered airplanes.) . A carefully built foam model will probably end up with a weight very similar or less to its balsa counterpart, but is much more likely to be made up of about 5 big pieces instead of 36 ribs, 12 formers, etc.... Plus, foam bounces a heck of a lot better than balsa."

Freakazoid 05-29-2005 05:12 PM

Theres a ton of foamies that look much better then that plane though. And I highly doubt that tribute thing is durable, its a profile foamer, those things dont last very well.

Fly-n-3D 05-29-2005 05:29 PM

Go with Yak 54f durable enough for mishaps.

tf2psycho 05-29-2005 05:29 PM

the yak 54f is the best looking foamie and your jellious
A-Frame this!!!!!and good luck but i can say i have a championship yak54f that won 2nd
at toc and was designed buy a very well known/respected Quique Somenzini.....
but he must have had it all wrong according to you huh

(your quote)To all of you, I think I forgot to mention a few little things. Its my first 3D plane, and I plan on learning to hover on it. So basicly that means buying a buttload of depron or wood and covering, or making sure the plane is EPP. I also dont have a concrete or similar runway, so it ll have to be verticle takeoff, and harrier landing or a prophanging catch.
why dont you start a anti yak54f forum since your the expert guy who has never flown 3d

Freakazoid 05-29-2005 05:35 PM

I dont care who designed it, picasso made it for all I care, its an ugly flatwing spar showing indoor box foam plane with crap sticking out from all sides. So there... Why dont you start a freaking yak cult topic since you seem to worship the damn thing somuch...

Now leave my topic alone with you all knowing yak crap, im not interested in that particulair plane..

tf2psycho 05-29-2005 05:50 PM

hey you asked for a "easy to build fullbody 3d plane "
and i gave you one... i still think your jellious ,
and dont know a thing about 3d flying..........
theres 3 different setups for the yak i use the powerfull outdoor setup
so once again your wrong!!!

and i fly in 15mph winds lets see what you get
i bet whatever it is you will crash it[>:] and i hope its balsa since it costs more to fix

the yak 54f is the best looking foamie and your jellious
A-Frame this!!!!!and good luck but i can say i have a championship yak54f that won 2nd
at toc and was designed buy a very well known/respected Quique Somenzini.....
but he must have had it all wrong according to you huh

quote:

(

your quote)To all of you, I think I forgot to mention a few little things. Its my first 3D plane, and I plan on learning to hover on it. So basicly that means buying a buttload of depron or wood and covering, or making sure the plane is EPP. I also dont have a concrete or similar runway, so it ll have to be verticle takeoff, and harrier landing or a prophanging catch.
why dont you start a anti yak54f forum since your the expert guy who has never flown 3d

tf2psycho 05-29-2005 06:00 PM

what they say is true you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink it

Freakazoid 05-29-2005 06:03 PM

Oh piss off man, I already called out a ticket on you, your bragging crap will be whiped soon enough...

That yak may be easy to build, but so is a turd.. Why would I be jealous of that ugy mutt.. Sure, you can fly every piece of crap barn door with a powerfull setup, but that doesnt make it less ugly. Who gives a crap about your ugly freakin plane getting a price, If THATS second price, I dont want to see the other competitors. And actually, I flew in +20mph winds today and had a blast doing so (would have liked more wind, too!). Id like to see you do that with your damn taped up slab of insulation..

So please go pollish your ill gotten ego somewhere else..

Fly-n-3D 05-29-2005 06:04 PM

Freakazoid get a flight simulator. You will learn all 3D tricks without crashing in real life. RealFlight G3, AeroFlyPro, Reflex XTR. They cost between $130-$200. Reflex does not come with a TX so you will have to buy one. You could get another simulator called FMS but it is not as good as the three listed above. FMS is a free download.

tf2psycho 05-29-2005 06:21 PM

*personal attack removed by moderator*

Freakazoid 05-29-2005 06:25 PM

RC13: Ive already fully mastered every trick in FMS (like thats so hard with that silly simulator. :)). But real life will always be a little bit trickier. My first flight was with a picojet combat wich I learnt to fly all by my self. After a good year I still havent crashed it. I guess thats im from the "Joystick generation" or something. [&:] But for 3D flying, I think ill start trying my hovers indoor first. No wind and nasty gusts bringing it off balance.

*personal attack removed by moderator*

tf2psycho 05-29-2005 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
good you dont deserve such a fine aircraft and the yak54f isnt for beginners anyway and you said yourself you have never flown 3d before
so stick to the pico stick..and dont talk smak about a airplane that has already proven its self to the 3d world....im surprised other yak54f fans havent told you whats up ...thanks for the backup guys

Matt Kirsch 05-29-2005 06:48 PM

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil. If you have to vent, take it offline. We carefully monitor posts and will ban individuals who engage in offensive conduct within the forums. Thanks.

I've got three words for you both: LET IT GO.

Okay, now that I have all the nastiness cleaned up, I am going to reopen the thread, and I have little advice:

If someone doesn't like your suggestion, it's their opinion, and they're entitled to it. Come up with something different, or bow out gracefully. No amount of name-calling is going to change their opinion.

If you don't like someone's suggestion, thank them nicely and move on.

Different people like different things. It's all good. Now, carry on.