Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

3D airframe for Saito 82

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

3D airframe for Saito 82

Old 03-06-2011, 06:24 AM
Giovanni_L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D airframe for Saito 82

I'd like some opinions and comments on the best 3D-capable airframe for a Saito 82a setup. I had this engine in a Reactor .46 and it flew well, but the aircraft was damaged in a crash and, rather than repairing it, I'd like to start from scratch with something different. Any ideas and feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:31 AM
bbrown2828
My Feedback: (76)

Default RE: 3D airframe for Saito 82

I have mine on a Profile Yak 54 48inch wing and it is unbeliveable and on that reacter how bad is it damaged I have been wanting one of them and I really enjoy repairing planes from crashes
Old 03-06-2011, 08:43 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

if you want a ARF u can do or chinn yak from extream flight .
Old 03-06-2011, 10:16 AM
TruBlu02

ORIGINAL: zacharyR

if you want a ARF u can do or chinn yak from extream flight .
Looks like someone beat me to it. The Saito 82 is a great match for the Chinn Yak.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:06 AM
rcflip

I have heard on the grape vine that the Chinn Yak will be discontinued when stocks run out.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:11 PM
TruBlu02

ORIGINAL: rcflip

I have heard on the grape vine that the Chinn Yak will be discontinued when stocks run out.
Thats interesting. I wonder if they are planning a replacement for it. The .40 size profile is a fairly popular size for them not to have one in that category.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:00 PM
zacharyR

ORIGINAL: TruBlu02

Thats interesting. I wonder if they are planning a replacement for it. The .40 size profile is a fairly popular size for them not to have one in that category.

I think that extream flight does alot more electirc plane sales in that size , also there custmor base might be more intent on buy them vers the nitro profile , they have alot of competiton with ohio mojo and many more profile planes companys out there , that have been around sense the dawn of time, i guess that in cominantion with the market place ( feels like more electric 3d and gas planes at the local clubs then nitro ) would be good cuase to drop a nitro verson and use the logicstics on something eles personaly I'd love to see a larger F3A style plane from them 8 cell or 6 cell size or a 30cc pattern plane ( tuned pipe section in the fuse please )

and there 50cc size plane seem to be ever expanding ( bread and butter )

but thats just my openion ,

Old 03-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

A really FUN 3D plane for the Saito 82 would be the UCD3D from Great Planes.
I had an 82 on mine and used a APC 14x4W prop. Excellent combo. Can do anything 3 D and is great fun.
Thanks
Barry
Old 03-10-2011, 01:19 PM
zacharyR

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

A really FUN 3D plane for the Saito 82 would be the UCD3D from Great Planes.
I had an 82 on mine and used a APC 14x4W prop. Excellent combo. Can do anything 3 D and is great fun.
Thanks
Barry

ya I said that on the 3rd post

But you should know some things about U can's and take that into consideration for choseing your airframe

landgear mount is not the best and almost a nightmear to to repair once they go throw the wings ,( no dorking ) and prone to Fultter shouldnt be a a speedster with that 82 and big prop( recommand replaceing the control rods for 440 or durbro something stronger ) but i wouldn power back in downlines Like a humpt bump or even a cuban 8 downline , other then that good plane I have two of the 46 size and I'v had one of the 60 size ones in the past

also i think they have a ****ty knife edge coupleing so if you have a advance radio you can mix most if out the plane

Old 03-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Giovanni_L

Thank you for all responses. After some more research, I decided to go for the H9 ShowTime 50, which seems very similar in characteristics to my old Reactor and with a more pleasant shape and color scheme, not to mention a more practical access to the inside fuse.
I ruled out the profiles (not very pleasing in looks), since I already have a few profile foamies that allow me to do the crazy 3D things.
I intend to build the ShowTime with mini servos (HS5245MG) from the retired Reactor, which should make the new plane perhaps a bit lighter than advertised. The Saito 82A will turn a 14 x 4W APC prop. If possible, I'd like to mount the fuel tank closer to the wing spar, to minimize CG changes during flight.
Any comments are welcome.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:05 PM
rcflip

I would not get the showtime, I had one and it was very tail heavy with the Saito 82, I had to add about 14oz to the nose to balance it, it flew ok... but not great. The Showtime 90 was a brilliant airframe but the 50 has not scaled down very well.

I flew mine for about a month and then took everything out of it and wrapped it around a tree, can you get top-dawg or extreme flight planes in your area?? the showtime is ok, but remember it is a pretty old design now. I would not get the u-cant-do 3d either, they are getting very old now and were just so so in their day, they are much better offerings these days.

Consider a MX2 from Top Dawg or the 58" Extra from EF.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:06 AM
kom73

MOJO 40.  most fun possible with a saito 82.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:45 AM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

It always comes down to the same arguments. The profile guys will have the upper hand on performance. Basically their rides average around 4.5 lbs RTF. Mojo 40, Chinn Yak, Williams Edges all build nice and light. With a Saito .82 that's a match made in heaven.

The guys who aren't swayed by that argument have an aversion to profile planes and are willing to overlook the half pound plus to get a fuller fuselage. IMO if you're over 5 lbs on a 48" wing, ~45 size motor, it's a lost cause when 3D is the prime concern, and once you fly a 4.5lb plane you're hooked.

You asked initially for "most capable" rides, and that automatically rules out anything but the light profile designs. If you want to fly around "pattern style" some of the time as a compromise, that's absolutely fine, but realize you made a compromise.

(oh, and this is a "sea level" recommendation. At higher altitudes, it gets worse and power desires rise)
Joe
Old 03-30-2011, 12:30 PM
zacharyR

pattren
ORIGINAL: wind junkie

It always comes down to the same arguments. The profile guys will have the upper hand on performance. Basically their rides average around 4.5 lbs RTF. Mojo 40, Chinn Yak, Williams Edges all build nice and light. With a Saito .82 that's a match made in heaven.

The guys who aren't swayed by that argument have an aversion to profile planes and are willing to overlook the half pound plus to get a fuller fuselage. IMO if you're over 5 lbs on a 48'' wing, ~45 size motor, it's a lost cause when 3D is the prime concern, and once you fly a 4.5lb plane you're hooked.

You asked initially for ''most capable'' rides, and that automatically rules out anything but the light profile designs. If you want to fly around ''pattern style'' some of the time as a compromise, that's absolutely fine, but realize you made a compromise.

(oh, and this is a ''sea level'' recommendation. At higher altitudes, it gets worse and power desires rise)
Joe

do not fly pattern style with a U can do .. or any 3d plane pattern planes and 3d planes are yin and yang oppset'st
Old 03-31-2011, 05:47 AM
flygilmore

A very important note.......the Swany planes (.40 size) will be RTF and weigh 3lbs. 13oz to 4lbs. 5oz. if you don't overdue it on glue/accessories. This is a big difference in the earlier noted 4.5lb planes-every once counts on these planes. My first Mojo .40 was 4lb. on the dot and yes it was awesome!!!!!! I have a Primo now and with an OS .55AX it comes in @ 4lbs. 4oz. You don't know what you are missing guys!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:03 AM
rcflip

The guys who aren't swayed by that argument have an aversion to profile planes and are willing to overlook the half pound plus to get a fuller fuselage. IMO if you're over 5 lbs on a 48'' wing, ~45 size motor, it's a lost cause when 3D is the prime concern, and once you fly a 4.5lb plane you're hooked.

You asked initially for ''most capable'' rides, and that automatically rules out anything but the light profile designs. If you want to fly around ''pattern style'' some of the time as a compromise, that's absolutely fine, but realize you made a compromise.

(oh, and this is a ''sea level'' recommendation. At higher altitudes, it gets worse and power desires rise)
Joe
That is not exactly true, if you want performance go the Extreme Flight electric route you can have a much more powerful and lighter full framed RTF plane then a profile. Profiles are old school now with the newer and lighter full framed electric models, I have sold mine and fly only electric in the little ones. In fact extreme flight will soon be bringing out a 60inch electric Edge which should weight around 5 pounds so profiles are becoming even more obsolete!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:03 AM
kom73

Good point rcflip, but not everyone likes flying electric planes.  Profiles will continue to be the best avenue for nitro small scale 3-d planes.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:26 PM
rcflip

Thats true kom73, just pointing out where the performance kits are these days, I did like my profiles but I dont have any glow engines anymore, only for my helis, I dont want different types of fuel.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:21 PM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

I agree electrics have come a long way. But the inital post specifically asked for a plane to match a Saito .82.

In defense of glo power, here is one advantage in the nature of the beast: As the flight progresses, the fuel weight gets less, and the performance normally gets better (with a slightly leaner, yet safe engine run assuming approprate needle settings). So I can finish a flight with a crescendo of great performance.

Any electric plane will absolutely NOT enjoy this possibility. The end of a flight must have less RPM potential due to the nature of the dropping battery voltage itself. The more cells you use, the worse this "deflation" gets.

It's not really a dealbreaker these days, but I remember going to Nashbro last year and asking Spaz why he was flying his (only glo fuel) powered plane like he was furious with it, going to full throttle for tumbling maneuvers very often. He said because he was tired of "babying" his e-powered planes to maximize their flight times and manage their performance budgets.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:25 PM
JustErik

I certainly hope profiles aren't obsolete. That means I need to sell my entire fleet (no fatties in my house except for me! ) and buy a bunch of over-priced, fragile, carbon-filled ARFs. I'll stick with my old fashioned profiles, thank you very much.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:03 PM
rcflip

We are talking pure performance are we not!!! the profiles have lost that mantle unfortunately, which to me is a good thing because they are hard to get if you dont live in the states and are ugly!!! They are also a PITA to store and get to the field, I cannot fit my 35%er and a profile in my trailer, I can however fit larger fatties with plug in wings. I would much rather bring the 35%er!!!, however, to each their own, but for little planes its electric and light fatties for me!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 04:02 PM
zacharyR

I agree electrics have come a long way. But the inital post specifically asked for a plane to match a Saito .82.

In defense of glo power, here is one advantage in the nature of the beast: As the flight progresses, the fuel weight gets less, and the performance normally gets better (with a slightly leaner, yet safe engine run assuming approprate needle settings). So I can finish a flight with a crescendo of great performance.

Any electric plane will absolutely NOT enjoy this possibility. The end of a flight must have less RPM potential due to the nature of the dropping battery voltage itself. The more cells you use, the worse this ''deflation'' gets.

It's not really a dealbreaker these days, but I remember going to Nashbro last year and asking Spaz why he was flying his (only glo fuel) powered plane like he was furious with it, electric plane will absolutely NOT enjoy this possibility. The end of a flight must have less RPM potential due to the nature of the dropping battery voltage itself. The more cells you use, the worse this ''deflation'' gets.

again this guy doesn't know what hes talking about going to full throttle for tumbling maneuvers very often. He said because he was tired of ''babying'' his e-powered planes to maximize their flight times and manage their performance budgets.

OK for example i can fly my 3dhs 65 vyper on a 6 cell its going to pull 2000 watts . and have the same RMP from the time i lift off to LVC (I have it disabled but if i had it on)
if anything dude its the other way around some Nitroplanes will slightly lean out as the tank gets lower but electric doesn't change its vary constant. the only way it changes if you fly below the low voltage cut off . basicky the same as runing out of gas ... or you have fualty battarys speed control sittings . same as Untuned engies bad glow plugs leaks in fule line . in comparison

I don't think you should post your knowledge if your just ****ing guessing dude.

that being said the only difference would be flight times not performance . and just go with the Chinn yak like I said on the third post ,

wind junkie please dont post **** you dont know flat out
Old 04-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are talking pure performance are we not!!! the profiles have lost that mantle..........
Show me a fattie that can outperform a profile at 3D, and I'll be the next one in line to buy it.

So what plane(s) have toppled the 3D profiles from the top of the heap?
Old 04-01-2011, 04:14 PM
zacharyR

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/48-Velox-...k_p_15283.html
Old 04-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, but it's going to take a lot more to convince me of that plane's superiority than a link to an ad showing it hovering, flying inverted, and sitting in the grass. My Goldberg Eagle 2 can do all of that.

Where's the video?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.