Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Plane for newbie 3d?

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Plane for newbie 3d?

Old 09-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Slyder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plane for newbie 3d?

Would like to have suggestions for a plane to learn 3d. Would something like the GP Dazzler be good for learning?
Thanks for the input.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:07 AM
3DMike

Default RE: Plane for newbie 3d?

In my opinion if you enjoy building I would say a profile funfly. Once you buy a kit such as a morris su-do-khoi you also have the plans. They take a couple of days from scratch to build so if you crash you can easily have a backup running in a week. Also as long as you buy a proven design such as a mh profile,(theres heaps of choice from other manufacturers) you can get one of an aircraft design you like. For hovering most are probably the easiest things you could learn to hover with. Most require little input and mirror the larger planes well. For spins and high elpha stuff they also excell.
If you like arf's many reccomend the magic but I have no experience with these. Just emember at the start keep it cheap because mistakes will happen. I see the profile as being a "trainer" 3d machine... To add, even more critical to learning 3d I would rate a simulator such as Realflight G2. It makes the imputs instinct for things such as hovering. hope this helped
Old 09-11-2003, 09:47 AM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

You could always go with a UCD or if you want to build a Laser3D or if you dont mind covering any of the Seduction line should be fine.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:39 PM
Hoss
My Feedback: (4)

For starting out I would say the UCD as it is very stable. The dazzler is a fun plane to mess around with but I wouldn't waste your time with it IMO. The UCD will be much easier to learn with.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Slyder

Thanks for the replys
Do you know any good sites where i can check these planes out and maybe buy?
I do plan on getting the g2 as soon as i quit spending so much on planes so i can build a new putter. Know what i mean. Built this one 2 years ago. bout time to upgrade.lol.
Have a good day.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:27 PM
chris540
My Feedback: (5)

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBMZ6&P=7

here is the u can do 60 @ towers hobbies
Old 09-11-2003, 08:00 PM
f2racer

Don't bother with the Dazzler. If you're looking for an ARF, get a one of the [link=http://www.morrishobbies.com]Morris Hobbies[/link] profiles (they currently offer the Morris the Knife, Topcap, and Sudokhoi) or a [link=http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/extreme330.htm]Carl Goldberg Extreme 330[/link]. Morris also makes all of their models as kits if you're the building type. Nothing comes close to 3D-in' like a profile.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:05 AM
lomcevek1

I have had PHENOMENAL success with 3D using the Ohio models edge 540. I started to learn on a Morris Hobbies TopCap ARF but it weighed in at 5.5 pounds and would hover and harrier OK but the wing loading was too high if you got into trouble.

Another good one to learn 3D with is an SPA3D. Don't let your friends see you or they will laugh but it is the most stable harrier plane I have ever flown, and it will only set you back about 15 bucks and is almost indestructable [link]http://spadtothebone.com[/link] click on spad originals look up the SPA3D and you can print the plans from the site.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:38 PM
Slyder

Thanks guys,
That spad is pretty neet. Gonna do some pricing to see what it would cost to build.
Thats what i want is something cheap so not affraid to crash and easy to rebuild.
Thanks again
Eric
Old 09-12-2003, 01:40 PM
I Got Hit

My vote goes to spa3d. Cheap and almost unbreakable. Flies very well with a bearing 46.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:37 PM
southern_touch9

I build a lot of the spads that size and for just the airframe I come up with about $8 a piece. I buy my coro at dealers cost from a sign company and have a lot of sheets. To build just one its gonna end up costing you around $15 or so and you will have enough material left over to build another (more than likely). These airplanes can be used as hover trainers and they do a great harrier, and flat spin. Other than that they are highly limited. You will not be doing waterfalls, Knife edges, and stuff like that due to the wing design.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:47 PM
easysport
My Feedback: (2)

The Pizzaz is an excellent 3D plane as well. We have an older flier at the field who converted his to electric and can do any move in the book with it.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:29 AM
southern_touch9

Pizzaz = boring 3D

It will do 3D and if set up right do most of the stuff but all in all its a sport plane. There are much better ones out there
Old 09-13-2003, 09:04 PM
BigSTIK40flier

i will second the choice for the spa3d, it is a very stable plane for what is made out of. it has very good slow flight response. i will tell you though to cut a 45 degree angle in at the ends of the ailerions or you will have very nasty flutter. harriers are unbeliveble, im using a worn out .40 on mine and it still flew , im about to get wild and put a .61 under the hood of this pup 10+ flights and good flying so far, harrier landings are great i goose the throttle a bit right before touch down to keep the nose up, im guessing at lands around 5 mph when i do this, overall the plane gets a 8 out of 10