Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

What Prop Works Best On DLE20 On 65" Profile ?

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

What Prop Works Best On DLE20 On 65" Profile ?

Old 08-07-2013, 02:12 AM
  #1  
Giant_Scale_Gasser
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (84)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 247
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Prop Works Best On DLE20 On 65" Profile ?

I have a new 65" flatty going together with a DLE20 on it, was curious who has a good recommendation for a prop. I turn an 18x6 on another DLE20 powered airplane I have so I guess I'll start there. Was looking for a good 3D prop.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	EX330-20CC-PRO-Y.jpg
Views:	1137
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	1905740  
Old 08-07-2013, 03:13 AM
  #2  
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Waterford, Mi/Citrus Springs, Fl
Posts: 3,821
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

My vote for 3D would have to go to the APC 17x6. It will turn up into the 8500rpm range (once broken in), which is high, but still safe.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:32 AM
  #3  
757jonp
My Feedback: (48)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: williamsburg, VA
Posts: 385
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I've tried quite a few props on my DLE20/Mojo 65. Best overall remains the Xoar 17 x 6.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:14 AM
  #4  
acerc
 
acerc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Sunshine state, when it's not raining!
Posts: 8,131
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I have a 18x7 on my Primo with DLE 20.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:15 PM
  #5  
Giant_Scale_Gasser
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (84)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 247
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I have a couple of 18x6W APC props sitting on the shelf, I think I will give those a whirl and see how it goes. Thanks again.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:19 PM
  #6  
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Waterford, Mi/Citrus Springs, Fl
Posts: 3,821
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

Never tried one that big, but I do run that prop (18x6W) on a 30cc I have. Maybe you could post your thoughts and a tach reading with it?
Old 08-07-2013, 05:27 PM
  #7  
Giant_Scale_Gasser
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (84)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 247
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I'll be happy to, but it may be a couple weeks. Airplane should be completed sometime this weekend and then I still have to break in the engine but I'll be happy to tach it and let you know what we find.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:53 AM
  #8  
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 650
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

18 6 is to big for a DLE 20 .. alot closer to a DLE 30
Old 08-08-2013, 10:49 AM
  #9  
Giant_Scale_Gasser
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (84)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 247
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by zacharyR View Post
18 6 is to big for a DLE 20 .. alot closer to a DLE 30
I run a 18x6 on my Ultimate with a DLE20 with no issues. Great power, excellent match in my opinion on that ship and it's a porky 10.75lbs. On all my 30cc stuff I am running 18x8 or 19x8.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:43 AM
  #10  
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 650
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

alright so i'll do a littel guessing here 20CC bipe i asume .. pheoix ? models ... never the less not vary much of a 3d plane .. really really not close to a profile that prop might work for that airplane becouse your really over powering it .. ? if its the 60 size nitro jobber ...this airframe probably doesnt spend mutch time punching out of slow flight you probably fly at speed.. considering its a horraible slow flyer .. but a profile something you want to hang acround you want to do water falls you want respunce in a roller and in a KE fade .. that prop is alot of load consider yourself you say on a DLE 30 you run a 18/8 witch is a littel small for that motor but a 18x8 is really close to a 18x6 and 20cc and 30cc is really far away from each other on power table ...

I'm just getting at here is your really out of context of the thread .. hes flying a profile and he's posting in the 3d forum so one would think hes into 3D .. only good thing i can think of a 18x6 is you'll have great breaking on downline stuff and you'll have less top end speed so if your trying to get ride of chance flutter and blowing the tail off that profile then go fo rit .. but its alot of prop load for a dle 20 . 17x6 you'll have more perky top end and spooil

but either prop would work just try some stuff out I persoanly think 17B would be a nice match

I like 19B on DLE 30 and thats a 3d airframe
Old 08-08-2013, 02:32 PM
  #11  
Giant_Scale_Gasser
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (84)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 247
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by zacharyR View Post
alright so i'll do a littel guessing here 20CC bipe i asume .. pheoix ? models ... never the less not vary much of a 3d plane .. really really not close to a profile that prop might work for that airplane becouse your really over powering it .. ? if its the 60 size nitro jobber ...this airframe probably doesnt spend mutch time punching out of slow flight you probably fly at speed.. considering its a horraible slow flyer .. but a profile something you want to hang acround you want to do water falls you want respunce in a roller and in a KE fade .. that prop is alot of load consider yourself you say on a DLE 30 you run a 18/8 witch is a littel small for that motor but a 18x8 is really close to a 18x6 and 20cc and 30cc is really far away from each other on power table ...

I'm just getting at here is your really out of context of the thread .. hes flying a profile and he's posting in the 3d forum so one would think hes into 3D .. only good thing i can think of a 18x6 is you'll have great breaking on downline stuff and you'll have less top end speed so if your trying to get ride of chance flutter and blowing the tail off that profile then go fo rit .. but its alot of prop load for a dle 20 . 17x6 you'll have more perky top end and spooil

but either prop would work just try some stuff out I persoanly think 17B would be a nice match

I like 19B on DLE 30 and thats a 3d airframe
I'll just say that the ultimate, neither 60 sized nor a phoenix, balanced properly is a reasonably fine 3D ship if you want it to be. Has a GIANT rudder for it's size, has a GIANT elevator for it's size, but it does weigh almost 11lbs. And even if you compare the 11lb Ultimate flying sporty (with very impressive vertical performance) versus a 6 or 7lb profile, if the 18x6 works well on the porky Ultimate, has great vertical, can pull out of a hover, I just have to think the 18x6 on the same engine must be very spirited on a 4 or 5 POUND lighter airframe with a much lower coefficient of drag than a bipe.

But we'll know for sure next week.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:09 PM
  #12  
acerc
 
acerc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Sunshine state, when it's not raining!
Posts: 8,131
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Well my DLE 20cc with a 18x7 Zoar is on a Primo 55" WS 3D piece of art. It hovers at 1/4 throttle and at half throttle will go vertical until there is no oxygen left to run on. Full throttle is to much, I programmed it down to a little over half. If need be I can post video!!!!!!
Old 08-08-2013, 03:22 PM
  #13  
Giant_Scale_Gasser
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (84)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 247
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by acerc View Post
Well my DLE 20cc with a 18x7 Zoar is on a Primo 55" WS 3D piece of art. It hovers at 1/4 throttle and at half throttle will go vertical until there is no oxygen left to run on. Full throttle is to much, I programmed it down to a little over half. If need be I can post video!!!!!!


Great looking ship! Love to see the vid. Love that scheme, looks great.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:24 PM
  #14  
acerc
 
acerc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Sunshine state, when it's not raining!
Posts: 8,131
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Next time out with it I'll have one shot. But that was more for making a point.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:48 PM
  #15  
tlandon
My Feedback: (15)
 
tlandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nokomis, FL
Posts: 99
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

17x4W or 18x4W APC's

zacheryR. Where the hell did you learn to spell? China? Every heard of proof reading?

Last edited by tlandon; 10-22-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:06 PM
  #16  
Giant_Scale_Gasser
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (84)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 247
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I apologize it's been so long. The profile went together easily and the DLE20 is VERY happy with the 18x6W. Some say it's too big and nothing I ever run will satisfy ol' Zach, but the airplane flies beautifully, does every maneuver in the book and never requires more than about 1/2 throttle. I like the 18x6W, I think it's a perfect match.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0989.JPG
Views:	984
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	1932138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0991.JPG
Views:	1012
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	1932139  
Old 11-10-2013, 03:22 PM
  #17  
coxco
My Feedback: (7)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: houston, TX
Posts: 87
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I have been running a ACP 14 x 10 for about 2 years now, on a DLE 20 and the rpm is just under max and it pulls a Big Stick 60 straight up. Try it you'll like it
Old 11-10-2013, 06:00 PM
  #18  
Giant_Scale_Gasser
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (84)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 247
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by coxco View Post
I have been running a ACP 14 x 10 for about 2 years now, on a DLE 20 and the rpm is just under max and it pulls a Big Stick 60 straight up. Try it you'll like it
I wonder if a 10 pitch would be too fast for the profile? The 18x6 works perfectly in my humble opinion. But If I ever come across a 14x10 I'll sure give it a whirl. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:46 AM
  #19  
kerwin50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: winston, MO
Posts: 1,378
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I've ran an apc 18/6W on my DLE 20.
I've found spool up is a little on the slow side. I like the snappiness of the 17/6 apc prop.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:12 AM
  #20  
Giant_Scale_Gasser
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (84)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 247
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
I've ran an apc 18/6W on my DLE 20.
I've found spool up is a little on the slow side. I like the snappiness of the 17/6 apc prop.
I hadn't noticed any spool up issues on my DLE 20 with the 18x6w the way I fly, but I am not a hard 3D guy. I sort of mix precision aerobatics and 3D in the same flights.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:34 AM
  #21  
kerwin50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: winston, MO
Posts: 1,378
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The biggest issue I have found is the spool up needed for a crisp, clean waterfall.
I ran the apc 18/6 prop on my DLE 20 on a GW Yak hoping for more thrust at lower speeds.
I now have the DLE 20 on a redwing SBach.
I may just have to try that 18/6 APC on the SBach.
AS long as I don't bark the throttle it does swing 18/6
Old 11-18-2013, 09:35 AM
  #22  
Giant_Scale_Gasser
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (84)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 247
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
The biggest issue I have found is the spool up needed for a crisp, clean waterfall.
I ran the apc 18/6 prop on my DLE 20 on a GW Yak hoping for more thrust at lower speeds.
I now have the DLE 20 on a redwing SBach.
I may just have to try that 18/6 APC on the SBach.
AS long as I don't bark the throttle it does swing 18/6
I run an 18x6 wood prop on the DLE20 in my Ultimate as well, and that prop is so light it spools up fine also, but I don't try too many 3D moves with the ultimate.
The Aerobeez profile with the DLE20 I really like the 18x6w for my taste. But my very similar Texas RC Planes Katana 70 I run a 17x4w APC on a Saito 100 and that is the perfect combo on that plane.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:04 PM
  #23  
kerwin50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: winston, MO
Posts: 1,378
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I may have to try that 18/ wood prop.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:27 AM
  #24  
acerc
 
acerc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Sunshine state, when it's not raining!
Posts: 8,131
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I run a wood (Bold brand) 18x6 on my RCGF 20 powered Profile. Don't have any issues with spool up, or anything else for that matter.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	1940550  
Old 12-23-2013, 03:53 PM
  #25  
Scooterpilot
My Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Palmdale, CA
Posts: 651
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I have a Vess 18X5.5 on mine....great prop for my profile

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.