Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Smoke System Question

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Smoke System Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Warbird40
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke System Question

I am asking this question here because I know a lot of you use smoke on your 3D planes. What type of fluid do you use for smoke? I heard of diesel fuel.....or is there better fluid for it? Also I am running a YS FZ110 with just the header (no muffler), so where in the header should I put the nipple, close to head, middle or close to the end?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2013, 01:22 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The closer to the head the better. I don't know how much smoke you will get though with out a muffler to slow it down. The diesel needs to be mixed with ATF, One part ATF to 3 parts diesel. Smoke oil bought at the LHS is much cleaner and makes better smoke IMHO but cost 4 times as much.

David
Old 11-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Warbird40

Thanks David for the prompt response and advise. I do have the muffler for it, so I will try that.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:32 PM
daveopam

The late great Minnflyer has an article here onRCU called " Got Smoke". There is a lot of good help there. You might search for it. Might even be in the video section. If you can't find it let me know. It's on my laptop somewhere. Also on a plane in the 1.20 size I would mount everything on a ply tray held in with four screws. I say this because the plane will fly SOOO much better without the extra pound. I think you will leave it out most of the time when you feel the difference.

David
Old 11-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Warbird40

Originally Posted by daveopam
Also on a plane in the 1.20 size I would mount everything on a ply tray held in with four screws. I say this because the plane will fly SOOO much better without the extra pound. I think you will leave it out most of the time when you feel the difference.

David
Great idea, hadn't thought of that. That's the main reason I went with the YS 110 and not my Magnum 91, so I wouldn't be under powered with the extra weight. Thanks
Old 11-29-2013, 08:16 AM
daveopam

Here is the Got Smoke article. http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=455

david
Old 11-29-2013, 08:23 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

smoke systems don't work well on nitro motor's they just dont have hot enough exhuast temps .. good luck . mostly like it will be like alot of unburnt smoke jouice
Old 11-29-2013, 08:31 AM
daveopam

Zach is right to a point. A smoke system on a larger glow motor can be done succesfully but it is not as easy as doing one on a gasser where the exhaust temps are higher. I have done one a 1.20 Webra 2 stroke though so I know it "can" be done. The smoke is not as heavy as a good system on a gasser, but it's not bad.

david
Old 12-01-2013, 01:42 PM
thepamster

Smoke fluid is expensive but that is what I use. I have done the diesel fuel thing before but it is kind of greyish and doesn't linger very well. What does linger is the smell of diesel. It smells bad. i mean really bad.
I'll pay 4 times the price for better smoke and less stench.
I have used Super-dri and Robart. The Robart is a little cheaper, maybe a little.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:42 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

If its on a sport plane the smoke trail will be faint, not much more than the smoke trail from the fuel exhaust. The small aircraft and speed make for poor effect.
There are some smoke mufflers available, which pre heat, but the results will be nothing like you see in the videos. from larger gas engines.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:16 AM
daveopam

It is also possible to pre heat the oil by wrapping a copper tube around the cylinder head a few times. Then hold it in place with a hose clamp. If you read Minnflyers article I posted above though he does not suggest it. I did preheat the oil on the Webra 1.20 i mentioned earlier. I never tried it without the pre heat to see the difference. My guess would be it would be hard to detect a difference in the air. I just cant say for sure but Mike was right most of the time.

david