Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

I can use your suggestions - broke my CAP232 canopy. ugh... How would you repair it?

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

I can use your suggestions - broke my CAP232 canopy. ugh... How would you repair it?

Old 08-23-2020, 05:07 AM
skunkwurk
My Feedback: (18)

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Default I can use your suggestions - broke my CAP232 canopy. ugh... How would you repair it?

Hi Fellas,

I was working on my CAP232 and accidentally dropped my canopy and cracked it. I've been kicking myself ever since. I tried looked for a replacement but none are available, I've had this plane for many years. You guys are always a huge help and have great ideas. How would you repair this?

Old 08-23-2020, 07:24 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

That's a pretty easy fix. Apply some packing tape to the fuselage where the canopy edge rests. Wax the tape. Install the canopy and apply a mix of epoxy and milled fiber and fill the damaged area. When dry remove the canopy. The epoxy won't stick to the waxed tape. You now have a nice molded fill job. You will then need to match sand the outside and paint the area. It would be easiest to mask off the clear area sand all the red to break the gloss and reapply all new red. I would also suggest adding a layer of light fiberglass cloth to the underside of the repair.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:31 AM
sensei

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkwurk View Post
Hi Fellas,

I was working on my CAP232 and accidentally dropped my canopy and cracked it. I've been kicking myself ever since. I tried looked for a replacement but none are available, I've had this plane for many years. You guys are always a huge help and have great ideas. How would you repair this?

If you don’t want to remove the canopy from the frame I would go online and buy either 1/4” wide red or blue striping tape that matches the plane or helmet, maybe even white and simply outline the canopy. Or you can carefully remove the canopy, take Dremal tool with a small drum sander and even up the jagged edges. Now carefully abrade the inside and out about 1/4” beyond the damage both inside and out. Next using medium ca and 3/4 oz. glass put 3 layer of glass on the inside and 1on the outside using your finger to rub the ca into the cloth. After all plies are on you can use kicker. After cure you can trim sand, use bondo as needed, prime fill, sand and refinish. You will need to completely mask both inside and out to do this, it is allot of work but can made to look brand new, I have done this many time over the years.

I hope this helps,

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 08-23-2020 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:06 PM
skunkwurk

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I was thinking of using wax paper and applying bondo to re-create the lip. I have not done it as I'm concerned bondo would not work for this long term. Do you would guys think bondo would work for this type of application?

Last edited by skunkwurk; 08-24-2020 at 04:25 AM.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:29 AM
skunkwurk

I'm also thinking of cutting a piece of material off another canopy of a similar thickness and patching/painting it in. The concern would be that it may not be very strong and re-crack.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:12 AM
sensei

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkwurk View Post
I'm also thinking of cutting a piece of material off another canopy of a similar thickness and patching/painting it in. The concern would be that it may not be very strong and re-crack.
Your right it would probably crack, but you could place a couple plies of 3/4 oz. on the underside as I already mentioned...

Bob
Old 08-24-2020, 09:23 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Possibly trim it back a bit and use this rubber canopy trim Fourmost Products Trims & Flanges | Fourmost Products