Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Sig Mayhem 3D ARF >

Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Old 09-30-2004, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Ditto Strato

Mine is 8lbs 3oz with a Webra 120
Old 09-30-2004, 09:59 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Sounds like you like this plane. Where is your CG now?
Mine plane will be here tomorrow. I can't wait to get started on it. I know the adverstising suggusts it only takes about 8-10 hours to build but in my case it will take 3 times that long because I slow I guess. At least all the ARFs I've built to date have taken much longer.
However, I hope to have it on the runway next Saturday.
Thanks,
Barry
Old 09-30-2004, 10:06 AM

Stratos,
I just noticed, you are located in CA. Do you fly near sea level? Is the 110 REALLY enough power. I'm at 4800' elevation. I'm sure hoping I'm not disappointed with the power up here in thin air. My Funtana 90 has a Saito 150 and I fly it on 30%. It has plenty of power but not really excessive. It weights 9 lbs 12 oz. I'm hoping for 8 lbs on the Mayhem. That really would be cool.
Thanks,
Barry
Old 09-30-2004, 11:28 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Barry,

Sometimes I wish I lived in CA(especially during winter) but then some earthquake or mudslide or fire happens over there and I change my mind
I live in NJ right at sea level. The YS is perfect for the plane if not overpowering it. I have an apc 16x6 on it and I do have gobbles
of reserve power to fly out of anything. The thing will happily fly around with a few clicks over idle. Hovers at half throttle or less.

I don't remember where my cg is in inches but I do remember that I have it around the middle of the lower half of the range they give you in the manual.
(I hope that made sense )

Take care,

Stratos.-
Old 10-03-2004, 09:13 AM

Stratos,
Sorry about the location. I must have been looking at djlyon, he's from CA.
Anyways, Got my Mayhem yesterday. Box was a little dinged but inside everything appears to be good. My first impression is very good. I've only built H9 products (Twist, Funtana90, Ultra Stick 60&120, and UCD40&60) This is my first Sig ARF. I'm impressed. Will be assembling all week and hope to have in the air this coming Saturday. I'm planning on using two elevator servos and I'm not going to use the pull/pull rudder control. In this thread people seemed to complain about that. I'm not sure what the fix is. I guess I'm just going to use a horn on the rudder similar to a UCD. Does anyone have pictures or description of what they did? Also, with 3 servos in the tail does anyone have an estimated battery location for the proper CG? I use an Expert 2700mA battery. It is heavy, at 5.4 oz. but gives very long run times. I don't have to worry about recharging for at least all day. I could probably fly two or three days but I just charge overnight the day before I fly and don't worry about it.
Well, off to the hobby room for some serious build time. Thanks for this thread. I've got some good information to help to make my plane better on the first build.
Barry
Old 10-04-2004, 09:14 AM

Barry,

I relocated my rudder servo at the back for cg purposes. Things are really tight back there. I had to raise the rudder servo
a bit so it wont hit the elevator servo on the other side. I don't know how you are going to make things work with 3 servos
without some major modifications and reinforcement of the tail.
I have a 2 cell Li-ion 2200 mah(about 3.5ozs) on mine and to get a 3d cg I located
the battery deep into the fuse (about 10-12" from the stab). So I'm thinking if you manage to fit 3 servos back there
you'll probably need to locate the battery somewhere forward. It should be fine.
I only use 1 servo (albeit a strong one) for the elevator and that seems to be working fine so far.

Also keep in mind the weight penalty with 3 servos/linkages/reinforcement instead of just 2. I would thing that you want to keep
things light because of your altitude. It probably won't matter on this plane though[8D]

Take care,

Stratos.-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94755.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	179382  
Old 10-04-2004, 10:06 AM

Great picture. In my mind's eye I'll be able to do this with this plane. I still wrestle with hovering. But I'm able to hold it for 20 to 30 seconds and sometimes complete a torque roll but never this low. 20-40' is my tolerance level. Good looking plane. Thanks for advice on elevator. I'll consider using only one servo. The servos I'm planning on using are HiTec digitals. I have a 5645 143 oz(rudder) and 2- 5625 109 oz (elevator) What torque are you using? Maybe I'll go to two 5645. There is no weight difference between them. You are satisfied with only one servo on elevator? One main objective for me is weight. I do want to keep it light. I'm going to mount engine tonight, so I'm still on schedule for flying it this Saturday. I'm excited.
Thanks for you input.
Barry
Old 10-04-2004, 10:26 AM

5645s should be plenty on elevator and rudder. I used 2 airtronics 94358(200ozs 0.1sec) on the tail which is overkill for this plane
but that's what I had on the bench.
I still learn how to hover but this plane makes it easy. I can stop it from tork rolling on me with the ailerons, even reverse the tork roll,
and that makes it easier to stabilize it and bring it down low. I don't feel comfortable tork rolling as low as that but I'm working on it.
It's mostly mental all these 3D stuff

Stratos.-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91020.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	179400  
Old 10-04-2004, 11:10 AM

The 110 should be plenty even at 4800 ft. Our field is at 1600 but on a hot day (100deg)(kind of normal here) I suspect our density altitude is well above 5000ft and my Webra powered Mayhem will do rocket launches from a hover and I would think the YS110 should do nearly as well. The engine is turning a 17/6 APC at 9000 rpm.

I used the pull-pull but I put the servo on the bottom of the fuselage in the back right under the elevator servo I had to tip it a little but it works fine. I wish I had used 2 elevator servos but I didn't because of the tight fit. Now I'm always messing with the elavator halves to keep them straight.

I started with the cg at 31% then gradually moved it to 39%. It was to unstable there, landings were a bear in our normal 6 to 10 mph quartering wind. I settled on about 36 to 37%. It's still a little unstable but manageable.

I used 5645s all around except for throttle. They're more than enough.

Denis
Old 10-04-2004, 11:04 PM

Thanks for the information. I bench ran the YS110 tonight. Started very easy and sounded very good. Have her about 30 minutes on the bench and quit. At the end I could get conservative 9300 RPM with APC 16x6 prop. I feel that is pretty good. The manual says that's enough break in and to finish break in with flying for about 10 flights. Oh yeah, I'm using Cool Power 30% Heli fuel. It seems to really work good in 4 stroke engines. I'm done with the wings in my kit and am going to mount the engine tonight and tomorrow. I think I'm still on schedule for Saturday maiden flight. So far I'm really impressed with the ARF quality. I'm still studying the rear servo mount. I think I'm going to go with two HS5645 mounted in the tail section. Only one servo on the elevator. I'm going to use a regular horn style mount on the rudder. I'll just test and fit and test and fit until I get them in there. I'll figure it out somehow. Really looking forward to flying this plane. Thanks for the CG tips. I'll start right in the middle of that area.
Thanks again for all the help.
Barry
Old 10-06-2004, 01:34 AM

Mounted my engine and cowl, wing is done, landing gear is on, working on the tail right now. I'm enlarging slots to install pinned hinges. It is really slowing me down but I'll be more comfortable with these hinges. I lost my UCD46 because the fabric hinges broke and let the rudder go crazy. I'm hoping to avoid that mistake again. I'm getting more impressed all the time with this Sig ARF. I find it easy to build, light, and high quality. I had to remark my firewall because it was wrong from the factory but they gave me instructions on how to do it. Really wasn't hard. I'm formulating a plan on how to install and reinforce the rudder servo back in the tail. I think I'll use the other side of fuse from elevator and will go lower. That way I can use the botton stringer as support for 1/2 of servo. I'll run a new stringer vertically on the inside and that should support the other 1/2. I'm going to use Central Hobbies carbon fiber push rods with titainium ends. They are very light and very stiff and strong. An ideal pushrod for an unsupported linkage run. I've decided to use only one elevator servo a HS5645 with 140+ oz of torque. Installtion will be much easier as opposed to two servos. I just hope I'm not disappointed with performance. But you guys suggest it'll be ok. At least it'll give me a place to start. I'm still hoping for a maiden flight and hopefully many others this Saturday. It's going to be close.
Thanks for all input.
Barry
Old 10-06-2004, 04:58 AM
My Feedback: (22)

Hey Big Barry, I noticed your from Reno. Are you a member there at the flying field ? How is the flying in Reno, I heard you can fly like year round.

I have thought about moving there so Ive been checking in to make sure I can fly and where at. Got any links or information ? Anything will help.

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:59 AM

Can anyone give me an idea of run time with the 110FZ engine with the stock fuel tank? I'll probably be installing my tonight. The stock tank is 450cc. I have a 500cc tank. Anybody disappointed with stock tank run time? Weight vs. extra fuel? Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Thanks for your help.
Barry

Airplanenuts. Are you flying your Mayhem? Haven't seen any posts recently.
Barry
Old 10-06-2004, 10:02 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Barry, I've flown mine twice, and I love it. I haven't been able to wring it out yet. The engine is still breaking in. I'm very pleased with the performance so far.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:17 AM

Good to hear from you. Hope you have continued satisfaction. I hope to have mine in the air on Saturday. But it's going to be close. What run time are you getting with fuel tank? Did you go larger? I'm to that point. I need to choose fuel tank size. I'll be installing it tonight.
Thanks,
Barry
Old 10-06-2004, 10:20 AM

Stratos,
I noticed you are online. Can you give me an idea what your run times are? Did you go to larger tank? Still enjoying your Mayhem?
Thanks,
Barry
Old 10-06-2004, 10:26 AM

Barry,

I stop at 12 minutes and when I get the rest of the fuel out it looks like a have a bunch left.
I'm gueesing more than a 1/3 left. I use the stock tank and it's plenty.

Stratos.-
Old 10-06-2004, 01:27 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Ditto for me what Stratos said. I haven't run out of fuel yet.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:49 PM

Yes it's plenty for the way the plane is flown. I set my timer for a flight time of 10 minutes and I think I have at least a 1/3 to 1/2 tank left, and that's with a Webra 120 2 stroke.

Denis
Old 10-08-2004, 12:41 AM

I'm getting closer to having this Mayhem done. Tonight I mounted the stab. When glue dries I'll mount rudder. I've got to figure out the rear mounted rudder servo. I plan on doing that after I get rudder mounted. I've been trimming my radio gear as I go. So I shouldn't have too much set up time after I get plane finished. It's going to be very close but I still think I've got a chance to fly this bird on Saturday. I can hardly wait. I think I'm going to like this airplane.
Barry
Old 10-09-2004, 10:18 AM

[&o]Didn't make it in spite of a long night. Have everything done except fuel tank and receiver, throttle linkage. Took a lot of time to fabricate mounts for the rudder servo in the rear. But I think I am satisfied with it. Also need to balance and think about what I forgot.
Oh well, maybe next Wednesday. I think I'll have some time to fly then.
Barry
Old 10-15-2004, 12:46 AM

Finished!!! I finished the Mayhem tonight. She weighs 8lbs 0oz dry. I have the CG at 5 5/8". Nine looking plane. I will maiden her tomorrow. I didn't put on the wheel pants but did use 3 1/4" wheels. I have YS 110 engine. I moved the rudder servo to the rear. I'm able to get maximum throws on all surfaces. I needed to balance the plane laterally as well. It took about 1/2 oz of weight on the left wing to balance. I'm using APC 16x6 prop. I've triple checked everything I can think of. I think she's ready to fly. I'll let you know tomorrow what I think of this airplane.
Thanks,
Barry
Old 10-15-2004, 03:54 PM

It flies. I flew the maiden flight today. I had a small aileron trim I had to do and no other trimming was necessary. A little bit windy here to day. About 15-20 MPH. But hey, in Idaho that's good flying weather so I decided to go. I flew 3-12 minute flights. I was nervous but I really don't know why. Everything went very well. On the 2nd flight I decided it looked like it was going to hold together so I thought I wring it out a little bit. Was able to do very nice inverted flat spins and the waterfalls were the best I've ever seen but in fairness I don't see a lot of people doing them. It knife edges pretty darn nice. A little bit of coupling to the wheels. I was able to control it out and do nice knife edge. I will do some radio programing and that will also help. Inverted flight required just a HAIR of down. Landings were a little sensitive, nothing like Funtana 90 though. I'm still struggling with hovers. I never have done them very well and today was no exception. With an unfamiliar airplane and a brand new engine, running rich, and a 20 MPH wind I decided not to even try to do a hover close to the ground. Up high the plane seemed to "blow" out. The large wing really is effected with the winds. The engine seems to have the power to hover but seems to be erattic and either on or off but not exactly where you want it to be. I'm being patient, new engine and all, but I also felt like it should have a little more "thump" right of the bottom end. Maybe I'll have to lean the transition a little. Anyways, my first impression is very good. Now I need to trim and program and fly. Anyways, I'm impressed with the plane.
Thanks,
Barry
Old 10-18-2004, 03:37 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got in 2 flights on a new Mayhem I am reviewing for R/C Report. What an easy flying airplane! I am using a Saito .91/APC 15-4W. Came in at 7 1/2 lbs, actuallly 7.588 on my digital scale. Hitech 5625's all around, JR 8103 tx. I didn't check the balance, but I did pick it up and it seemed in the ball park. On the second flight I ran until I was nearly out of fuel and it was getting tail heavy-needed down to descend to land.

I have over 50 degrees of down travel and max on everything else. Great maneuvers except for flat spins. I keep getting kicked out of inverted flat spins by the elevator, of all things. It wants to flip over, waterfall style. I have never seen this before and I have flat spun a lot of planes. I have had too much aileron roll the plane out, especially when the expo is set so the "knee" is right where it flattens out. I am going to play with controls and CG. Maybe I am so far back with so much travel even a little power addition overpowers the rudder and flips the plane.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:16 PM

Ed,

I originally got my mayhem to complement my saito 91 but even after getting the plane down to 7#s
the power wasn't enough. It will fly, it will do mild 3D and it will even hover but had no reserve power while doing so.

The plane comes alive with the YS 110. It's more weight but the wing loading is still low enough that you
don't notice the difference. And no CG shifting problems either.

All I'm saying is this: If you think the plane is great with the saito, it will blow your socks off with the YS

Take care,

Stratos.-

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.