Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 08:14 PM
csliger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

It is cold! Been snowing for two days now, gotta go brush the dust off the boxes at my local hobby shop! Those are the new Sig 3-D wheel-pant ski's..I got so busy filling the seam on those ugly suckers that I accidentally turned them into snowshoes!
And Robin, those servos are about 5x10^5 nano seconds slower but hey what's a few millimicroseconds among friends LOL! Actually I think those are a good choice I don't think you'll notice a few milliseconds with that big of control surfaces, may even help...metal gears will probably save the bird and ya won't even know it![8D]
Old 02-05-2004, 08:22 PM
hulley29
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: RE: Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

YAHOO!! I'll have mine monday! I'm going with a YS 1.10. How was the covering? I had a four star 60 ARF and the covering and quality was great! hope it's the same on this bird. CSLIGER, the pics look great! does this thing have dual elevator servos?
Old 02-05-2004, 08:35 PM
csliger

No dual mount without Mods, you can see the hole under the elevator in one of the side shots. An earlier post gives the cut-out dimensions and Mounting depths. Woulda been nice to have the option though...maybe...uhm or not.
The covering was beautiful, I wish one could go to world model's factory for lessons...however it was not adhered all that well and so I went over the whole thing with the iron and melted it on a little better, but then hey nobody's beating me with a stick to get fifty planes a day done either... Just careful around the seams not to creep it, in fact I did those first at a lower temp and then shrunk and glued the rest.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:45 PM
robinr767
My Feedback: (4)

Gee, we have similar problems - Weather and Wheel Pants.

Weather:
Here in southern Florida I'm worried about getting sand in my new servos.
BUT- I will be flying my Mayhem next week on wheels and not skis. (shorts will be the uniform)

Wheel pants:
I was really worried about all the gripes over the pants. The more I look at them, the more I like the idea of a piece of red trim tape front to rear over the seam and calling it done! I can probably get in a dozen flights while you guys are fiddling with your pants. On the subject of wheel pants, a club member showed me how he filled the inside of the pants with instant spray foam insulation. He says it weighs only a little more that air and will stop a lot of vibration that causes cracking. Or maybe I'll just fly with my pants off. I finally took the pants off my revered "Dragon Lady"! It felt free and easy and you get used to the no pants look quickly.

My servos are on the way. The first step in assembly is to install the servo - figures. For the life of me, I can't see any reason why they can't go in AFTER the wing goes together. Any of you out there who have gotten past step one agree?

Gotta get back to the glue.

Robin
Old 02-05-2004, 09:04 PM
csliger

Why do I have this image of you standing there in Florida flying (with) your pants off. LOL I just don't like their style is all, the trim tape is an excellent solution to the seam. I left mine unfinished at this point and may not do anything with them depending on what I do to dress this up a bit. BTW I completed the entire assembly without the servo's and beyond fishing the wire through the wings I don't think that it'll be trouble at all. They really could have CA'd some paper tubes into the ribs for a wire guide. I do it on my kit models and it only takes a minute or two at best. I did look down the holes they had in them and they are not aligned enough for making and installing your own. This is unusual as these wings are most likely jig built.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:21 AM
robinr767

???? Pull Pull rudder cables straight of crossed?
Old 02-06-2004, 11:03 AM
AIRPLANENUTS
My Feedback: (2)

I would say straight! I wouldn't cross them.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a couple of photos of the Webra 1.20 installed. The 1.20 four-stroke should be fine. The muffler should clear the cowl.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20138.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	98068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96988.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	98069  
Old 02-06-2004, 08:57 PM
DHammer
My Feedback: (11)

csliger,
Sorry I never answered you but been out of town for a week. Anyways, I really feel that the 120 will have plenty of juice to hover in Colorado and pull out of it. I have a seagull Razzle with a saito 100 in it and weighs in at 7lbs 4oz and the saito 100 pulls it out of sight spinning a 15X6 prop.
I too like to overpower a plane a bit, but anything more on this light bird will be over kill, and I'm not sure whether it would stay together. Don't know about you but I like to at least move the throttle stick over a 1/4 travel.
I will get down to putting it together tomorrow, but as you know looks like the bad weather will be with us for a bit, so hopefully our fair weathered friends will get one up soon and give us a report.
I agree with you about the wing, it will be fun putting that on in a breeze.
By the way, nice Mod you did, makes sense, will be doing it to.

Dhammer
Old 02-06-2004, 11:28 PM
csliger

Thanks for the photo's Steve!! I think Robin's gonna mount this way too. I like the carb intake location! By the way how'd it balance out with the Webra anyway?
Dhammer, Thanks for the reply! My LHS guy was suggesting the 180, I worry about the torque as this airframe is quite light. I am taking advantage of the weather to get some other projects done so I'm dragging my feet a little and waiting for the reports as well. I think Robin will have his up next week and we should have the word on a OS 120 too. If we don't install the 180 how are we gonna keep up with that webra? I like to be at just half throttle myself, plenty of reserve to compensate for my lack of skill!
My LHS was out of the servos I wanted and I got there close to quitting time so I may dump the kids on the wife and sneak away tomorrow. I'll probably make a move on the motor after the Auction coming up, there were mad deals on motors last year so I'm saving my pennies. Last Year I picked up a beautiful Saito .45 for $50 and it pulls my GP Big Stik 40 all over the place and darn near hovers!
Old 02-07-2004, 10:31 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

csliger;
I have not yet finished the plane as I too am working on getting another model finished up. I am in the process of finishing up a plane I built for a good friend and I'll be another week or so on it before I get back to the Mayhem.

Steve
Old 02-09-2004, 12:04 AM
csliger

I just got done installing the pull-pull cables. FYI they have loosely glued in an antenna guide for the cable hole.This means that you can't use a golden rod inner nor an antenna guide rod to thread these. This I found out after I lap glued with ca to a 0.62" music wire and pulled it through. There was a slight tightness as this combo is the inside dim (cable+ 062 wire) and it pulled the guide tube out on one side. Looking at it they did not roughen up the outside of the tube for better attachment, one may want to slip a little thin CA around theirs to keep these from popping out later. I ended up using a long (10" ) 1/16"drill bit as a "clunk" to thread the wire. I placed the cable into the flutes of the bit, wrapped with one layer of tape to keep wire in the flutes and rotated the fuse around as I fed it in to get the clunk around the formers. Also I'd part from the instruction sequence and install on servo inside fuse first, then do the final terminations out-side where you can get at them a little easier. The good news is they used the rest of the antenna guide material to glue in an antenna guide, so that problem is solved!
Old 02-09-2004, 12:07 AM
csliger

...make that original wire size 0.062" music wire...no it wasn't re-bar! LOL
Old 02-09-2004, 10:33 PM
robinr767

OS 1.2 Surpass installation :[img][/img] Looks like cooling will not be a problem.

Pictures of my pants with red racing stripes comming soon!

Name:	Rp43584.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	99340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20007.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	99341  
Old 02-09-2004, 11:49 PM
qweedqwag
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Send me the wheelpants I will sand and paint them and add a clear coat to them at no charge just pay for postage both ways and I will hook you guys up, I painted my UCD wheel pants and cowl electric blue metallic it turned out really nice an different then everyone else's let me know.

Mike Hoffman.

Name:	Jh16891.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	99364  
Old 02-10-2004, 11:05 AM
AIRPLANENUTS

Default RE: RE: RE: Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Robin, nice job. Anxious to hear how inverted installation works. Where is the tank centerline compared to the needle valve?

Qweedqwag, nice UCD! What kind of paint did you use?
Old 02-10-2004, 11:37 AM
robinr767

Thanks,

I'm not sure what you are asking.

I only followed the book and correction page.

The CENTER of the tank is just about that of the needle valve on the OS 1.2. Note that the tank tubes are ABOVE the center of the tank. The tank position is fixed by the bulkheads

The cowling was shaped by chucking a 1/2 in Dremmel sanding drum in a drill press. Holding the cowl steady is easier than you might guess.

The engine has a flapper choke valve attached to the intake. I removed it to make way for the tank tubes since I haven't had to choke the engine here in southern Florida. (sorry northerners)

I have not run the engine yet.

Fire back if your question is not answered.

Tailwinds,

Robin
Old 02-10-2004, 02:41 PM
AIRPLANENUTS

The fuel draw should be okay, then. I remember reading some guys having problems w/an inverted engine due to tank height. Thanks, Robin.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:58 PM
DHammer
My Feedback: (11)

Robin,
Nice clean engine install, looks good. How close are you to getting it up in the air. We are all anxious for a flight report.
Also, if you are finished, what is the final weight with the OS 1.2 Surpass installed.
Thanks,
Dhammer
Old 02-10-2004, 08:03 PM
robinr767

With any luck it will be ready by Thursday 2/12.

I will fill you in on the weight. The 1400 MA battery seem to weigh a ton!
Old 02-10-2004, 09:37 PM
hulley29
My Feedback: (1)

I got my mayhem on monday and what a great looking plane! the covering is fantastic! I bought a slimline extreme pilot for my 1/4 extra but they are much smaller than advertised, so I put him in my mayhem! fits perfectly. if I can figure out how to upload an image I'll post a pic. I'm going with hitech 5625's, duralite battery and a ys 1.10. should be a good setup! any tips on assembly would be great.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:51 AM
pbird
My Feedback: (10)

Need some advice, hopefully if the weather clears up down here in Texas I'm going to take her out Sunday. I'm using a Saito 120 and wondering what size prop to use on it. This is my first 3D plane. I broke the engine in on the stand using a 14x6. I believe this plane will have plenty of power with the 120 and definitely not looking for speed. Plane balanced well with just a little adjustment of an 1850 mah 5 cell pack. I used futaba 9102's in the wing, Hitec 625mg on the elevator, Hitec 645mg on the rudder, Futaba 3003 on the throttle. Anyone using a remote glow and if so which one is the best. Not real hard to get to but just enough to be a hindrance. Only problem I ran into was elevator was warped but real easy fix with a little heat. Talked to Sig about my wing panels that would not fit flush and they were very helpful also are sending me a new wing, great people. I also did glass my wing not sure if it was needed but makes me feel a little better. Thanks for any advice.

Pat
Old 02-12-2004, 11:06 AM
AIRPLANENUTS

Pat, I would first use the prop you used to break it in, then go from there. I have an MPI glow ignotor I may use, but I'm hesitant to add the weight. I may need it with a Saito 100. I'm not looking forward to reaching under the plane with the engine running to remove the heater. I have used the Hangar 9 remote glow, but had problems with the cord that ran from the heater to the plug-in which was mounted to the fuselage (short in the connector). Love to see pics! Good luck on the maiden! Please let us know how she flies!
Old 02-12-2004, 12:23 PM
csliger

Pbird can you get some pictures up? I'd like to see the wing flush fit thing too!! How was the balance with the Saito?..and remember to flight report ..we're all on edge up here in snowville.[8D]
Old 02-12-2004, 02:33 PM
AIRPLANENUTS

WOW, I just checked the weight of a Saito 120 vs. 100. The 120 weighs 31.76 oz, and the 100 weighs 19.41 oz. Where did you put that 5-cell pack? Was it nicad? Do you know its weight?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.