Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Sig Mayhem 3D ARF >

Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Old 04-13-2006, 12:42 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Another one.

Thanks
Barry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77985.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	444680  
Old 04-13-2006, 02:31 PM
My Feedback: (19)

Barry,
Thanks for the pics, can you get me a measurement from the rear of the fusalage to the rear of the rudder servo? Did you build a floor for the fuel tank, or just foam pad it and jam it in place with the balsa square stock?

My overall impression of the kit is the quality is very good, not a wrinkle in the Ultracote anywhere. I'm just still trying to figure out where the front wing dowels slide into. Can't find any holes that small in the forward former.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:12 PM

olstoney...

I'm at work right now so I don't have the measurement. I will measure when I get home in a couple of hours and post.

On the fuel tank, I put two balsa stock, 3/8-1/2" square and spaned the fuse and glued them in place. Then I set the fuel tank on those and glued the other "visible sticks in place. I don't use foam but you could put a little foam in there as well. I have sticks on the front and rear so the tank doesn't move much. But it has looseened slightly over time because the tank expands with all that YS pressure. But no problems. I also used the stock tank. Didn't wrap it or anything as you can clearly see.

I was adding up the other night and I have over 70 confirmed flights with this plane. Probably a few more because I didn't track the first few. At least not as accurately as I do now. Other than the time in the rain I hit the throttle accidently while in the pits and the plane rocketed into a railroad tie at full ground speed and ripped the landing gear, tail wheel, firewall and a few misc other items out, I haven't had a single problem. When I repaired the plane I was amazed how little "real" damage was done. Everything just sorta broke apart where it had been glued. I was able to fit it all back together and looks and flys as good as new.

There are holes for the wing dowls. I think they are double covered but my kit had them there. I think I had to probe a bit with the xacto knife to find them.

I was interested in your initial reaction to the kit quality. I build mine more than a year ago. I've had 10 or so planes since then. I can remember when I first opened the kit I was very impressed with the quality of the kit. Since then I've seen some very nice kits (EF Yak, Showtime, Velox Etc.) and I now know there are other kits that are similar. But I still think this is a very quality airplane. And it's pretty darn tough too.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:23 PM

olstoney...

On my tail mounted servo the dimension is 7 1/2". That's from the end of the fuse (not including the rudder) to the centerline of the servo shaft. Nothing special about the measurment. I just went back about as far as I could and still have the fuse wide enough to accept the servo. Turned out to be about right for the balance though as I have the battery in the rear portion of the radio area. I could still easily go back a couple more inches.

As I looked closed at the Mayhem tonight I realized I did use foam under the fuel tank. I must be using that to take up some of the space to keep the tank from moving too much. Mines really pretty solid. I can move it with firm force but it takes quite a bit.

Any other questions please let me know. I answer if I can.

Thanks
Barry
Old 04-17-2006, 06:48 AM

Big Barry,

I watched your video with the YS .91. I don't know the names of the tricks, but I was curious how you do that decending knife edge roll. It appears that the plane is decending toward the ground while the wing is oriented vertically and the fuse is rotating around the wing.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:25 PM
My Feedback: (50)

olstoney...

If you're interested, I just wanted to let you know that you can mount the servo farther back in the fuse. Mine is about 3" from the end of the fuse (not including the rudder) to the servo shaft. With two small hardwood blocks, it will clear the other side of the fuse. To see the details, check out post #672 on page 27 of this thread. Let me know if you have any questions.

Stacy
Old 04-20-2006, 05:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

[8D]Hello Barry and all the Mayhem owners, I just finished mine today and can´t wait until the next weekend for the maiden flight.
Please I have some questions : I set the surface travels by the instructions, but what about expo. Also did you use flapperons and spoilerons mix?. ¿ What I have to care about handling in the first flight?. Thanks.
I send some photos of my Mayhem, I did some mods and detailings, I know for sure that they are not necessary at all,except the Du-Bro main wheels axles that replaced the stock ones acording with your experience, but I like " tuning " my airplanes to my own taste, and who knows, sometimes they fly better.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87571.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	448222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33985.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	448223   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26848.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	448224  
Old 04-20-2006, 07:25 AM

Stacey,
Barry had referred me to your post earlier and I did take a look. I more than likely will try to set mine up similar to yours as it looks very clean, so thank you. I had intended to PM you in a couple of days to get some further advice. Things have been pretty hectic on the home front lately and I have not even started on the kit yet. I'd like to perhaps get a couple of more measurements if I can and some more info on the ply backing plate. I'm using Hitec 5645's all the way around, so the mounts need to be strong. The servos are on the way to Hitec to be upgraded and matched. I'd like to get the mods done while waiting for them to get back.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:07 AM

Stacey,
I finally got around to sending that PM this morning .

Hey Guys,
Can anyone see a reason why I could not use a Great Planes adjustable engine mount for the YS 110 in place of the supplied twin beam mounts? As I have to rescribe the engine thrust lines on this model it would be really easy to do this and then drill the holes for the blind nuts using the template that comes with the mount.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:12 AM

Olstoney...

The GP mount will fit and work fine. I would check the weight though. With the 110 up front you'll tend to be a little nose heavy. The GP mount may be an ounce or so heavier. Not sure.

Rescribing the lines though is really no big deal.

Thanks
Barry
Old 05-02-2006, 04:33 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Just checked out Tower Hobby's site, backordered till mid May. How reliable are their ETA's?

I have a killer setup that, lets just say, has recently been relieved from duty. Joe
Old 05-02-2006, 05:29 PM

ArcoJo...

I suspect Tower is just passing on what Sig is telling them. When I was waiting for the little Mayhem, I just called Sig even though I had it on order with Tower. They can lie with the best of them.

Pretty neifty plane. If you try it you'll like it.

thanks
Barry
Old 05-02-2006, 06:21 PM

Thanks Barry. Question, I sort of speed scanned the thread and from the few pics I see that the elevator halves are joined and operated off one servo. Is the joiner stout enough? Didn't read entirely, but didn't come across any indications of failure or anything. Also, whats your thoughts on the rudder mod to enlarge it? Thanks. Joe
Old 05-03-2006, 12:45 AM

ArcoJo...

Mine elevator has held up fine and I haven't heard of a single one breaking. Yet on the smaller size people are already breaking them. I actually like only have one elevator servo in that the plane is about 3ozs lighter and I can't seem to tell any difference in control. The Mayhem will flat spin better than any plane I've ever seen and that takes a lot of elevator and rudder control. And I think the construction is one step up from a UCD. Yet the overall weight of the plane is just a tad bit less. Weird.

The worst things I saw were the axles. Yet many are flying with the stock axles and aren't having any problems. It's actually the same axle as the EF Yak. I used them on that plane and it weighed a pound more.

Mine built a bit nose heavy until I moved the rudder servo to the tail. Of course, if it had dual servos for the elevators......

I have the little Mayhem and I don't like the covering. It looks fine but it is very easy to cut. I don't know what the new version of the bigger plane will have. I hope it's not the "Aerocoat" but I'm afraid it will be.

The wing is so big on this plane that it can be difficult to haul also. I drive a full sized pick up and it's all I can do to carry one plane in it.

Another good maneuver the Mayhem will do is waterfalls. It will just kinda hang there and spin right around the wings. Pretty cool looking.

Anyways. I think you'd like the Mayhem. It's a nice flying plane.

Thanks

Barry
Old 05-03-2006, 06:56 AM

Thanks again Barry. The wing size now brings me to my next question, wonder what the effect would be if I removed the wing tips. Should spin a little faster and don't think the loss of volume would effect the wing loading too much. Thanks, Joe
Old 05-23-2006, 01:41 AM

I need to repair the wing tips on my Mayhem. What kind of covering is used and is there a color # needed to get some?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:37 AM

The brand of coating is Ultra Coat. Available from Horizon Hobbies. Not sure of the colors.
Thanks
Barry
Old 05-24-2006, 10:05 PM

ORIGINAL: wingy

I need to repair the wing tips on my Mayhem. What kind of covering is used and is there a color # needed to get some?
Barry's right--it's Ultracote/Oracover. Here are the color codes listed in my manual:

Ultracote Codes:
#870 - White
#866 - True Red
#885 - Midnight Blue
#874 - Black

Oracover Codes:
#10 - White
#23 - Red
#52 - Blue
#71 - Black

Good luck with the wing tip!
Old 05-25-2006, 05:52 AM

Stacey,
Did you ever get my PM about the rudder servo mod?
Old 05-25-2006, 11:27 PM

ORIGINAL: olstoney

Stacey,
Did you ever get my PM about the rudder servo mod?
Yes, I thought I sent you a PM in reply (quite a while back). However, I didn't save a copy in my sent folder. Can you double-check and make sure you don't have a PM from me. If you don't, I'll re-take the measurements and send you another one.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:57 AM

Stacey,
Thanks, I never received your PM and it could have been when RCU was having some server problems. I would appreciate the measurements and some more details on how you mounted the ply backing plate inside of the fuse. I've made a 3/32" ply backing plate, but am not sure how to size it properly. I think you're method is the best I have seen yet and wish to relocate my rudder servo the same way. Just got the 5645's back from Hitec, so I'm ready to go. Thanks....
Old 05-26-2006, 08:09 AM

Has anyone tried an OS 91 FX in this plane? Just wondering what a larger 2 stroke would be like instead of a 4.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: olstoney

Stacey,
Thanks, I never received your PM and it could have been when RCU was having some server problems. I would appreciate the measurements and some more details on how you mounted the ply backing plate inside of the fuse. I've made a 3/32" ply backing plate, but am not sure how to size it properly. I think you're method is the best I have seen yet and wish to relocate my rudder servo the same way. Just got the 5645's back from Hitec, so I'm ready to go. Thanks....
I found my original reply to you. My mistake, it wasn't a PM, but an email I sent you on May 2nd. Anyway, here's what it said. I thought I'd go ahead and just post it here. Maybe someone else is interested.

------------------------

It's easy to make it look nice as long as you prepare the rudder servo cut out BEFORE gluing in the vertical fin. I can get you some exact measurements later this evening, but I basically installed my rudder servo in-line (horizontally) with the elevator and directly behind it. Like this:

| Elevator ------- | |Rudder --------- | ------ Tail / Back of Plane ----->

The fuse gets pretty narrow behind the elevator servo, but with the small hardwood blocks on the outside of the fuse, the bottom of the rudder servo will clear other side of the fuse by a 1/4" or so. Just install the rudder servo as far forward as you can--maybe 1/4" clearance behind the elevator servo. The benefits (IMHO) of mounting the rudder servo behind the elevator servo are that it moves the servo weight farther back (more effect), it tucks it in nicely under the horizontal stab (out of sight) and it makes the rudder linkage much shorter.

I might have taken some detailed pictures of the mod, but I'll have to double-check tonight--I can't remember. In a nutshell, here's what I did:

1. Mark the servo hole and cut it out with and exacto knife. If you're careful and make a nice clean hole exactly the size of the servo, there's no need to wrap the covering around the edges (IMHO). I just cut my hole, then made sure the covering was ironed down good around the edges, then sealed the exposed edges of the fuse wood with some epoxy for fuel proofing. Some guys put a thin bead of silicone around the servo to seal it further, but I don't.

2. Made a reinforcement plate out of lite plywood to glue inside the fuse. I cut mine to perfectly span the side from top to bottom so it would make contact with the sticks in the corners.

3. To install the reinforcement plate, lay the fuse on it's side with the servo hole facing up. Coat the side of the reinforcement plate that will be glued to the fuse with epoxy. With the epoxy side up you can kind of slide the piece in through the slot where the vertical fin gets glued in and down below the hole. I then used two paper clips bent into an L-Shape to reach in through the rudder servo hole hook the reinforcement plate and pull it up against the fuse. Once the epoxy catches the fuse side, you can do any final positioning with your fingers then clamp it in place to dry.

4. Then I cut the small hardwood blocks for the outside, painted them white and epoxied them in place. Make sure to expose some bare wood under the blocks before gluing them!

I hope this all makes sense. It always seems clear to the person writing the instructions! If you still have questions let me know. I'd be happy to send you a phone number too if you think it would help to talk in person.

Good luck. You're going to love the Mayhem!
Old 05-26-2006, 06:45 PM

Stacey,
Thanks and once I have the measurements I think it might be easier that it sounds. I'll lay everything out with blue painters tape before I make any cuts. Just want to make sure that the 3/32" backer is in the proper position . What type and thickness of stock did you use for the outside spacer blocks? Thanks, Brian....
Old 05-26-2006, 06:50 PM

Stoney, that plane isn't in the air yet? You better get 'jiggy wit it' Joe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.