Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Sig Mayhem 3D ARF >

Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Old 05-27-2006, 05:27 AM
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Nah Joe,
Just got the Hitec digitals back from California after being updated and matched. We have been busy the past three weeks working with Susie's new female German Shepherd. Started working on the hinge slots on the wings for the Dubro hinges. Everything is here parts wise, just gotta get with it after the holiday .
Old 06-07-2006, 05:56 PM

I have a Maynem 90 that I am building.

I have a Saito 100 and a GMS 120 that are both nearly new.

I have a ys 110 on order.

My quesiton is which engine to use.

Should I wait for the YS or use one of the others.

Larry
Old 06-07-2006, 06:53 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Try them all on for size. Just don't install the cowl untill your decision is made. No sense hacking up a cowl for an engine that is not going to stay on there. My pick would be the 110. Good luck and let us know the results. Joe
Old 06-07-2006, 09:36 PM

The dealers say that the next shipment of YS engines will be here late this month.

Are they usually pretty accurate in their estimated arrival times?

Larry
Old 06-08-2006, 05:35 AM
My Feedback: (19)

gplarry,
I'll recommend the YS 110 for this plane as well. I'm a little spoiled on YS engines though, so take that as you will. To answer your question on dealers, it depends on which one. Expected delivery dates are somethimes off by a few weeks. I have had nothing but great dealings with Central Hobbies and have purchased five YS engines from Mandi there. The customer and parts support is second to none. The key is to call and ask when they expect the shipment in and to find out if they will have any left over after the back orders are filled. Then back order an engine for yourself if one is available. You will be contacted when the shipment arrives and will not be billed until your engine is shipped. If Central promises you an engine you will receive one and hope this helps .
Old 06-09-2006, 08:59 PM

I thought about mounting the Saito 100 now and changing for the YS 110 when it arrives but I wonder about the availability of a replacement cowl for the Mayhem 90.

I went to the sig site and did not find where they sell a replacement cowl.

Does that sound right or did I look the wrong place?

Larry
Old 06-09-2006, 11:02 PM
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: gplarry

I thought about mounting the Saito 100 now and changing for the YS 110 when it arrives but I wonder about the availability of a replacement cowl for the Mayhem 90.

Larry
The replacement cowls are available, but SIG is very proud of them.

On the SIG website:
- Click on "Sig Accessories & Parts"
- Click on "R/C ARF Airplane Parts"
- Click on "Sig 3D Mayhem"
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page, click on the "Next Results Screen" button
- It's the last item on the list

SIG 3D MAYHEM ARF COWL - SIGSH879 - $39.00
Old 06-11-2006, 10:11 PM

Tower and Horizon have a lot of Cowls.

Most are a lot cheaper than the one from SIG.

One of those probably would fit the Mayhem.

Has anyone found a cheaper substitute for the SIG Cowl?

Larry

Old 06-12-2006, 03:14 PM

ORIGINAL: gplarry

Larry
Why not save the expense and fly it without the cowl untill your decision is made as to what engine will be left on it? If the S100 and YS110 will be new, it will also be less hassle to tune them without a cowl. Joe
Old 06-13-2006, 08:48 PM

Too late....

They are here!

Larry
Old 06-28-2006, 10:36 PM
My Feedback: (3)

I have a Mayhem with a Saito 150. I am just beginning to try to hover and find the nose wants to kick left; enough that I can't hold it very long. Beginning to think I may need a little right thrust or maybe just a lot more practice. Anyone have to add right thrust?

Also, I mounted the rudder servo in the tail and have the battery back as far as it will go and balance at about 5.5 inches. I am going to add a little weight to the tail to move the CG back.

Thanks,
Coolair
Old 06-29-2006, 08:09 AM
My Feedback: (4)

I didn't add anymore right thrust to mine ,With mine when I got the CG aft far enough to hover well I lost my rudder only KE ,now I need to add some input from the elevator.Its been a while since I checked it but I think its around where yours is at for CG .
How much travel did you give the rudder, elevator and so on also what servos did you use and what oz of torque are they .Good Luck its a nice flying plane
Old 06-29-2006, 11:32 AM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can go much farther back on your cg with this plane....will greatly improve hovering but will start to negatively effect imac type flying
Old 06-29-2006, 11:50 AM
My Feedback: (17)

I didn't add any extra RH thrust to mine. I have the CG at 5 5/8". It hovers hard, KE requires a bit of up elevator, hard to fly...just the way I like it.

Thanks
Barry
Old 06-30-2006, 06:07 AM

I had to add a couple of degrees of right thrust to get rid of my tendency to fall to the planes left out on hovers. It solved the issue. I continue to move the cg back, which makes floating landings more common, but harrier landings are awesome now. It really has been a fun plane for me. I just got a 9CAPS, so I am looking forward to mixing out some of the bad tendencies on KE's.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:37 AM

Well my Mayhem is almost done, should be ready to maiden this weekend. [X(] The Saito 125 I got for it has been run before so I probably just need some minor tuning to get it set up. Man! I'm so looking forward to flying this plane....[8D]
Wxman, What engine are you running in yours?
Old 07-03-2006, 07:22 AM

ORIGINAL: rclement

Well my Mayhem is almost done, should be ready to maiden this weekend. [X(] The Saito 125 I got for it has been run before so I probably just need some minor tuning to get it set up. Man! I'm so looking forward to flying this plane....[8D]
Wxman, What engine are you running in yours?
I am also running the Saito 125. It has plenty of power to pull out of hovers. It will KE well out of hovers if you like that too. Vertical is all day long with that engine. I am propped at an APC 16.5x5w. I tried 16x6, 16.5x5w, & 17x4w. I just was not happy with the response on the 16x6, but love the mix of spool and speed of the 16.5. The 17x4w just wasn't enough rpm for my taste.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:01 AM

I only have the 16x6 so I'll have to see how it does for me and possilbly go with the 16.5 too. I hope to maiden it tomorrow on the 4th. It's taken me longer than I thought it would to put it together. Lots of little stuff. I can't wait to fly it though. From everything I've read, everybody that's flown it loves it.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:38 AM

Well I went to maiden the Mayhem today and it crashed. Not too bad though but enough to really bum me out. What happened was that I took off and banked to the left and when I got to the other side of the flying area it started glitching like crazy and I didn't have as much control. I managed to swing it back towards the runway and before I could set up to land it started glitching again and banked over hit the ground. It was kind of at an angle and the grass out there was about 3 ft. tall so that softened it some. The crash broke up the cowl some and caved in the top of the fuse aft of the cowl. It's fixable, except for the cowl. I did a range check when I brought it in and it glitched badly. The bad thing is that I didn't do a range check before I flew it. I think the reason for that is that there was so many things going on at the field and people asking me when I was going to fly it that I just got too distracted and rushed. When I got home tonight I pulled the crystal and put one in from the U Can Do and it still glitched. Then I attatched new RX from another plane and set it up the same way as the first one and it works fine now. So I think that the Futaba RX that I got from Tower is junk. I'll have to check tomorrow and see what they can do.

Wxman, where did you get the 16.5 APC prop from?
Old 07-05-2006, 11:25 AM

Thats a shame but at lest you can fix it .Sig is very proud of the cowls 39 bucks if I member correct ,make sure you check the fuse at the back where the wing bolts on for any cracks.
I Always do a range check with and with out the engine running ,I feel safe if I can get 125-150 feet or more .One thing about it I bet you wont forget to do it again .
Fix the fuse and fly it WO a cowl untill you can get one ,it won't look as nice but still flys the same .
Old 07-05-2006, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the info. Crash damage isn't quite so bad when you get the plane home or the next day. It doesn't look as bad as it looked yesterday. I'm pretty sure I can fix the fuse and I'll just get a new cowl and call it good. Thanks again for the words of wisdom.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: rclement

Well I went to maiden the Mayhem today and it crashed. Not too bad though but enough to really bum me out. What happened was that I took off and banked to the left and when I got to the other side of the flying area it started glitching like crazy and I didn't have as much control. I managed to swing it back towards the runway and before I could set up to land it started glitching again and banked over hit the ground. It was kind of at an angle and the grass out there was about 3 ft. tall so that softened it some. The crash broke up the cowl some and caved in the top of the fuse aft of the cowl. It's fixable, except for the cowl. I did a range check when I brought it in and it glitched badly. The bad thing is that I didn't do a range check before I flew it. I think the reason for that is that there was so many things going on at the field and people asking me when I was going to fly it that I just got too distracted and rushed. When I got home tonight I pulled the crystal and put one in from the U Can Do and it still glitched. Then I attatched new RX from another plane and set it up the same way as the first one and it works fine now. So I think that the Futaba RX that I got from Tower is junk. I'll have to check tomorrow and see what they can do.

Wxman, where did you get the 16.5 APC prop from?
I went to my local hobby shop. They said it didn't exist, then I told them I saw it on APC's website. Anyway after some searching they found it and ordered me three.

I am sorry to hear about the bad luck, but glad to hear it is not too bad. Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:49 AM

WOW that prop isnt a every day deal I was beginning to wonder myself if it was made or not but here the part number LP16550W right from the APC web site .Nobody that I know of stocks it .So its like wxman says a dealer item only .Myself I can't use it .just not enough for the YS so I am thinking about a 17-4 and hoping that it won't over redline the engine .
Honest once you get the feel of this plane it spoils you its so easy to fly .Get er done and lets us know what ya think of the plane Grins .

I'm in the process of making my own design 3-d plane I'll post a pic when its completed.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:57 AM
My Feedback: (17)

The APC 16.5x5.5 prop is available through Horizon Hobbies and Central Hobbies. I've bought from each. It's also available from the APC website directly.

My YS won't pull it at this elevation. I'm better off with the 16x6. I use a 17x4W sometime when I want to hover alot. It doesn't make as much thrust (by one pound) as the 16x6 but is much easier to hover with. It doesn't do as good a job on water falls and flat spins. The extra thrust is required for them.

Cyberwolf. I'm going flying right now. You want to meet me over there, I'd love to meet ya.

Thanks
Barry
Old 07-06-2006, 10:38 AM

Thanks guys. How about a 16x4W for the Saito 125?
I did the repair on the top of the fwd fuse last night. You could hardly tell anything ever happened to it. I also order a new cowl for it so it should be back in the air soon. Man I can't wait to fly it. Do you guys recommend changing or beefing up the landing gear? It looks strong to me but just wondering.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.