Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Sig Mayhem 3D ARF >

Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Old 07-06-2006, 11:33 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Rclement hi I am flying my mayham with A 150 Saito and I am useing all the gears that came with the plane and I haven't had any problem with any of it.I am useing the pull-pull on the Rudder and the one servo on the Elevator.I have only been flying for 2 yrs now and not good at the airobatice3-d yet.All thro I do like too try and I love this plane and everyone in the club likes it too.I hope this helps on you question on the landing gear good luck and happy flyin.

Joe.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:39 AM
My Feedback: (22)

Rclement I didn't see that my son sign in and so I am letting you know that 2Slow2Matter is my son and I am the one that has the Mayham and he likes too fly it too. This is Grandad1 good luck.

Joe.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:14 PM

Well, I should have it flying again this weekend. There was sure a lot of people standing around checking it out. I guess because you don't see that many of them. It will be aloft soon..........[8D]
Old 07-06-2006, 02:20 PM
My Feedback: (17)

rclement...

The 16x4W is a good prop for the Saito 100. Not enough for the 125. 17x4W is good though.

Hope you get it flying soon.

Thanks
Barry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72237.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	487898  
Old 07-06-2006, 04:19 PM

Hi Barry, got to fly my mayhem last sunday. I was a bit nervous because it was somewhat windy. Still it handled it well. It knife edges really well but is pretty "pitchy". The elevator seems to be very responsive even on low rates. I've yet to turn 'em up yet. I tried a inverted flat spin as per your instructions, which works good on my twist, but when I fed in the ailerons it just blasted out of the spin. I must have had to much throttle on the YS 110. Maybe I'll try it on high rates next time. It lands like a stick and the YS is running like a watch. I wouldn't mind getting another one for my big boy.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:26 PM
My Feedback: (4)

I'm sorry Barry I didn't read this untill later this evening .However I am going to go to the fun fly at shelly both sat & sun let me know if your planning on going .

Old 07-21-2006, 04:22 AM

I had a small mishap recently, and am rebuilding a new fuselage and needed a small bit of help. I lost the sheet explaining how to redraw the thrust lines. Does anyone have that sheet that can post it or scan and email it to me?
Old 07-21-2006, 08:33 AM

I don't have it myself ,but if I recall it was 3/16 offset to compensate for the right thrust .If I was you I would use my old firewall the make the new one and mark the existing holes I already had.
Make sure you get the correct right thrust or nothing will come out right as far as the spinner centering on the cowl.

Heres another way, after the fuse is done and ready for the cowl and engine put the cowl on .you can get a good idea where there center lines are then mark the fuse sides & top and bottom make your cross hairs the move it over 3/16.
Using the marks you made tack glue the motor mount to the FW and put a couple bolts on the engine to hold it in place,trial fit the cowl and adjust the mount as necessary for a good fit .If you use a spinner back plate it should be a simple matter of just measuring both the side and top to get the engine back on center in relation to the cowl.
I hope this make sense to you .
Old 07-21-2006, 09:50 AM

Now I only adjust the vertical thrust line, not the horizontal correct?
Old 07-21-2006, 10:10 AM

You will need to do both .but the horizontal needs the offset to compensate for the firewall angle.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:34 AM

I just recently completed mine and if I remember correctly you just find the center of the firewall and move the line over 3/16" to the right of there. The early batches of them came with the line marked on the right side (should have been on the left while facing it) I think the centerline is allready marked on it.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:58 PM

Thats true with a new plane and fuse but he is building a new fuse from scratch and there isnt any marks to go by.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:23 PM

Thanks Cyberwolf. I missed that part. I can look and see if I still have that part of the instructions for him.
BTW, I got to re-maiden my Mayhem earlier this week. (I had a bad RX in it initially and get it straightened out and ready to fly again) Man! It's an awesome flyer! I'm easing into it and looking forward to running it through it's paces. Awesome, awesome plane [8D] I put a Saito 125 in it and it has plenty of power. Seems just right for it.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:16 PM
My Feedback: (19)

I have the template, but not a scanner. If you can wait long enough for the U.S. Mail, I'll be happy to photocopy and send the template. PM me if you wish for me to do that .
Old 07-25-2006, 04:00 AM

For those of you who used mounting blocks in the back of the plane to mount the rudder servo, what size screws did you use? The stock servo mounting screws just seem to short now and I don't want to take a risk of them coming lose at any point. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:50 AM

wxman...

I mounted the rudder servo in mine in the tail. I just glued a 1/4x1/4 balsa stick for each end of the servos. I used the servo screws that came with the servo (Hitech 5645) to mount it. I CA the hole after I drilled it to hardened the wood. It's been working fine after 70 flights or so.

I think the servo mounts are stronger than the horn mounts so I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks
Barry
Old 07-25-2006, 06:59 AM

Barry, I tried that, but since I did the rudder servo farther back near the tail the screws are not biting much with the larger hardwood spacer. I looked through the tail and there is nearly no screw through the inner mounting wood.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:07 AM

wxman...

Your mount must be different than mine. When I glue the balsa sticks in there I just placed them so they were right under the servo mounting holes. There wouldn't be any difference than if I mounted the servo in any other way.

However, if you can visually see that the screws don't offer enough strength...than it seems logical to just use a longer screw.

Thanks
Barry
Old 07-25-2006, 08:41 AM

Wait a second your using the stock screws and there not coming through the gromets enough?
Is the servo hitting the other side of the plane to keep it from seating all the way in the fuse .
I'm not quite understanding what your delema is here ,the stock screw should be plenty long enough to go thru the servo eye and bite into the wood .
But if the servo isnt hitting on the back side and is resting against the gromets like it should just get some longer screws of the same nature,your LHS should have them if not a hardware store will.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf

Wait a second your using the stock screws and there not coming through the gromets enough?
Is the servo hitting the other side of the plane to keep it from seating all the way in the fuse .
I'm not quite understanding what your delema is here ,the stock screw should be plenty long enough to go thru the servo eye and bite into the wood .
But if the servo isnt hitting on the back side and is resting against the gromets like it should just get some longer screws of the same nature,your LHS should have them if not a hardware store will.
Cyber, it is because I using mounting blocks for the rudder servo. They go through the mounting tray by one thread or two and that just makes me a bit nervous. Since the mounting blocks cracked a little, it makes me nervous if the screws don't hit the mounting tray well.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:05 AM

Ok so what your saying it they go thru the soft balsa but not in to the block itself very far .ok I gotcha .yep just get some longer ones I just bought a box of 50 off a seller in ebay thats 5/8" long with allen heads and built in washers .
Sounds like the fuse is coming along good.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf

Ok so what your saying it they go thru the soft balsa but not in to the block itself very far .ok I gotcha .yep just get some longer ones I just bought a box of 50 off a seller in ebay thats 5/8" long with allen heads and built in washers .
Sounds like the fuse is coming along good.
Ok, that is what I was looking for. So that is a good 1/5" longer than the stock 10 mm. I think that would work well. The fuse is coming along well. I am pretty much done, but just have to finish mounting throttle servo and linkage, then finish the rudder. I should be in the air in a few days if I can get some time together. I have to recover just he edge of the wing and I have never covered before so I may try to "coerce" someone at the field for help.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:32 AM

Ok I was brain dead this AM ,what I do if I run into that situation is to put a drop of thin CA in the thread hole and let it cure good ,this hardens up the balsa and acts like its ply this method has worked wel for me.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:58 PM

I dumb thumbed today, took out the Mayhem after a two year lay-off and had a blast with it untill I switched to low rates to land then decided to do a harrier turn to a parachute style landing on low rates-no elevator. Can you say splat and go landing. It took out the prop, spinner, smashed the LG and broak two CA hinges in the rudder. I just got done doing some awsome blenders and tip-spins, basically I was showing off and got too big for my own britches. OUCH!! I hate when that happens. This I a super fun and impressive plane, it will get fixed soon and flown alot the rest of the summer. I love electrics now but its nice to fly a big four stroke from time to time.

Name:	Rp44041.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	502082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30477.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	502083  
Old 08-06-2006, 08:46 AM

I just recently started flying the Mayhem. Here's some pics of it just after I completed it. What a fun plane. It's nice to fly a big plane like this. I'm used to the 40 size planes and this one is impressive. The maiden flight of it was on the 4th of July so it was perfect for the day. It has a Saito 125 and a 16x4W prop, Tru Turn spinner.[8D]

Name:	Bz78010.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	502437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52324.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	502438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99954.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	502439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx65999.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	502440  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.