Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Sig Mayhem 3D ARF >

Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Old 07-23-2007, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Please share how you have programmed your radio to fly the Mayhem.

Thanks,

Kasey
Old 09-24-2007, 03:07 PM
My Feedback: (8)

I've got a YS 120 just looking for an airframe, and from what I've been reading, looks like the Mayhem might just be the ticket. My major questions is durability? How well does the Mayhem stand up in the case of a hard landing, will the gear pull right out, or is it a pretty tough old bird? I've been flying the Sig Somthing Extra, and have had no problems what so ever, but I know that moving into more of a 3D plane usually means lighter weight resulting in, shall we say, a more delicate airframe. I was also advised that a Quique Somenzini Yak 72/73 would be a good option, however looking at the build thread, there is no doubt that it does not like very hard landings. So guys, whats your input???

Thanks,

Mike
Old 09-24-2007, 07:38 PM
My Feedback: (22)

Bluesdr44 let me say this! If you have A hard landing with the Mayhem you will have too fly it in hard.This bird will float in dipending on your( CG ).I have had mine for about 2 years now and I have yet too have any problem out of it.Hope this helps. Joe
Old 09-24-2007, 08:20 PM

This is one of the easiest flying planes I own and still one of my favorites! My club buddies think I'm nuts when I use it to train newbee's but it's very stable and if you get yourself in a jam, it's very responsive. It's very difficult to have a "bad" landing. I refer to it as my 'Big, lethargic butterfly" but it will perform if you want it to. I have a Magnum .91 4 stroke. I wish I had a little more engine but this thing flys nicely where it's at. I even strapped a JVC DV recorder to its underside. Again, the club members thought I was nuts (there seems to be a consensus here!) but it did very well. I still have to figure out how to mount the camera in a way that there isn't quite so much vibration. There was a lot of drop-out in the video but I did get some footage.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:03 PM

hi guys i am very impressed with sig's products i have the sse and love lt i just brought the sig mayhem 40 size it is build just like my sse one of our guys at our club has two 120 size mayhem and the things i see him do with them was amzing and he has let my take one around for flite so i had to get one so far build is going very easy
Old 10-17-2007, 03:40 AM
My Feedback: (4)

The Sig Mayhem is a great plane to fly 3D!
The controls are huge and with a powerfull engine it is a joy to fly. It does slow down nicely and when asked does 3d moves very well. It is a big plane, but easy to see and even easyer to fly.
My first Mayhem on its second check out flight, the tail broke off right after the canopy. Sig was great in having a replacement kit in record time as they said things happen. This replacement model has been through the wringer with a few slight modifications to the area around the canopy for strength.
I have a Saito 120 with Hitec digital high torqs all around.
Great plane!!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:16 PM

I just got my Mayhem and seem to have misplace my Aileron Positioning Guide and the Engine Mount Template (either that or it wasn't in the box). Has anyone posted these??
Old 10-24-2007, 09:45 PM

Hi shwan you could proble call Sig and they would send you one.What motor are you putting on your mayhem?I have A 150 Saito on mine and I am thinking of taking it off and put the Evolution G26 gaser on it.I got the motor last week but haven't started changing it yet.the 150 Saito weight 30 oz and the G26 weight is 31 oz without the muffler.I have been flying mine at the CG they call for in the book.I know I can move the CG back about 1/2 in and the plane will do 3D A lot better if I only knew how too LOL.Is anyone else flying there Mayhem with this motor?

Joe
Old 10-24-2007, 09:50 PM

Wxman,

Did you ever get the template electronically?? I am missing mine.

thanks
Old 10-24-2007, 09:52 PM

I haven't got the engine yet. I am thinking about a 4 stroke 1.20.

thanks for the advice on the template. I thought of that to but I hate calling those places.

thanks again.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:54 PM

Sig is great to deal with,
If your gonna use the Saito 120 most people put the rudder servo in the back to offset the heavy engine. I have this same setup with the servo in the tail and it balances good.
I had to get the 90Degree adapter for the engine exhaust to clear the firewall at the location in the instructions.
I would get the higher torque servos for this plane. I flew it with futaba 3004s and it was so so. But with some ultra torque Hitecs it really came alive and when you banged the sticks the manuvers became violent and with plenty of authority.
I am using a APC 17x4W for excellent hovering, but becarefull as it seems to overspeed easily in a dive.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:34 AM

does any one use a os 1.08 inverted with a pitts muffler and what prop and fuel to run this is my first 3d plane any suggestions would be good thanks
Old 11-17-2007, 02:39 AM

Just saying hi to all, been way too busy with work. This threads is amazing, still going I see. I got my replacement tank from Sig but have not had time to re-install my servos and motor. Grandad if you're around how did the swap to the 1.00 work out?
SKYTREKIN what prop do you use with the 1.20? I just got one...yeah by accident :-) and am thinking about putting it in when I re assemble my baby...(just thinking about it I say). I may just get a big warbird or scale plane and put it there and put back the 1.00, it was pretty awesome as it was.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:59 AM

plane flys like a dream,, floats on landings.. i'm a total fan. got mine used,, Kruzer, i'm running a APC 16x6 on a YS120.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:57 PM

Kruzer I left my Saito 150 on my Mayhem and put the Saito 100 on my new 60 Corsair.Now if you had A Saito 125 it would pull the snot out of it on comand.I put A new Saito 125 in my new Frenzy and I was shock of the power that motor has.I havn't flown my Mayhem in A while now but i am thinking about flying it tomorrow.Will let you know if I do.

Joe
Old 11-20-2007, 06:12 AM

On my Mayhem with the Saito 120 Ive flown it with a wood 16x6 flys pretty good lots of power, and ive also gotten the fiberglas APC 17x4W prop. The APC prop is pretty wide and easily hovers the Mayhem.
Right now its winter time with snow on the ground, so Im about to start pulling off the wheels and putting the skis on! Yeah!
Old 11-21-2007, 06:26 PM

I just bought My first Mayhem. I have lusted over this bird for a long time. A friend in our local club was selling it here on RCU and thats how I got mine. I too am wondering about an Evolution G26 gaser? Has anybody tried a gaser or are they going to be too heavy, on this light air frame?

Here is a couple of pictures of My baby. One when I was just lusting and one after i bought.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56459.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	808872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95318.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	808873  
Old 11-21-2007, 06:47 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Congratulations!!!!

You should really love this plane. It is one of my all time favorites. Does the best inverted rising flat spin of any plane I've ever seen. Great fun and very easy to fly. I thought the axles were a bit weak (wheel fell off on my 5th flight) but other than that I didn't change a thing except I moved the rudder servo to the tail for balance. Very well built and great flyer.

Thanks
bArry
Old 11-21-2007, 08:46 PM

jship I was going too put the G26 gaser in my Mayhem but i didn't have enought room for the Electonice exngion.I am running A Saito 150 and like Barry said it will flat spinn upward.The Saito 125 would be A great motor for this plane.I put A Saito 125 in my new Frenzy and it will do every thing that the Mayhem will.It's all most the same size plane,I had it in A flat spinn upward last Sunday,Hope this helps and I know you will love that plane,Good luck.

Joe
Old 11-23-2007, 06:58 AM

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving holiday! Grandad I have a 1.25 on my Venus II and yes it is a real powerhouse! That Saito 1.20S I just got, because of it's size and weight (it's also big compared to the 1.25) I want to put in a semi/scale warbird.
I looked at the Frenzy and thought it was just too like my Ahem (Mayhem) so I left it alone. I want to broaden the variety in my collection to have one of each category of airplane so to speak (sport, pattern,warbird,bipe etc.). A Showtime .50 is in order for an .82 I have sitting there.

SKY thanks, that sounds correct to me. I'll go back with the 16 x 4W on the 1.00 for now and yes it will go upward in a flat spin even with the 1.00! Will post a pic when I finish this re-assembly.
Should have been done by now but just too darn busy with everything else.
Fly a lot guys!
Old 11-30-2007, 07:22 PM

Has anyone put a smoke system in this plane, if so, which system and where did you put the tank?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2007, 02:46 PM
My Feedback: (2)

PM Skytrekin. He's done it.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:45 AM

I put the smoke tank behind the fuel tank (its right over the wing) a Sullivan 14oz tank. I used the Slimline smoke pump, it came with just about everything you need to hook it up. Getting everything in the plane fits, but you gotta be neat with everything, smoke tank, pump, lines, pump battery, switch, fuel dot. It flys pretty good even with the extra weight of a full tank and all that. I have a slimline smoke muffler for the saito 120, you need to play with the programing in the radio to get just the right amount of smoke while flying to have good smoke, and not much residue.
Im using a 7.2v lipo to power the pump, it works great.
Its cool to see the mayhem hovering shooting smoke out! Havent put the skis on yet as we dont have much snow now.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:58 PM

I know I guy with a TME Simple Smoke II he's selling for 60.00, and was thinking about getting it with the idea of putting it in my soon to built Mayhem (christmas present). I already have the receiver, servos, & YS 120 ready to go, still need a pipe for the engine, and was thinking about the Slimline. For the simple smoke, would need to get the tank and battery, and lipo does sound like a good way to go.

Thanks Skytrekin
Old 12-06-2007, 10:27 PM

Here's a DIY smoke project for who's willing...
http://www.rcdon.com/html/the_ultimate_project.html
Hey SKYTREKKIN! All I want for Christmas from you is a video of your Mayhem hanging on the prop with smoke on as low as you can (safely that is)!!! PUH_LEEEEZ?!!!! LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.