Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Sig Mayhem 3D ARF >

Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Old 02-13-2008, 05:03 PM
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

KURZER WOULD LOVE TOO HAVE YOU TOO COME AND FLY WITH US ANY TIME.Sorry about the caps but i didn't know i was caping untill I looked up LOL.I can only peck and i can do that kinda fast so I don't look up too often.I have 13 other planes too fly and I order Another one last knight LOL.My 40 Great planes Stik went in the other day so I am replaceing it with A 60 size GP Stik.I don't do much 3D because of my eye I have A problem telling right side up or down when they get out A little ways from me so i limit my self for now.the Dr said i have caderracks staring but they are not bad enought too remove now but it wont be long he said then he will remove then.Things are A little blir when they get out A ways from me so I try too just do what i can see at the time if you know what I mean LOL.Kurzer where do you live?I am in OKLAHOMA and one of my son is in Texas down by Dallas and he flys too.If you are close too one of us maybe we can get together some time and fly or just visit let me know,

Joe
Old 02-13-2008, 09:36 PM

Grandad I sent you an email so as not to clutter the thread here.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:27 PM

Here are some pics of my new mayhem. I decided to do it up a little different then the red,white,and blue. I recovered it in orange,royal blue and white monokote. I also added some checkering, boy was that fun!!! slowly getting it together for this flying season. I am going to use a ys 110 for power as this seams like a good combo. very light plane so far.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83436.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	887526  
Old 02-24-2008, 03:29 PM

here is another, have to load pics seperately, too big of file

Name:	Pn36744.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	887527  
Old 02-24-2008, 03:32 PM

And here is one more. also I intalled wheel pants from a greatplanes rv-4 kit and added carbon fiber landing gear made for the hangar9 ultra stick 120. they fit perfectly!

Name:	Xv63573.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	887532  
Old 02-25-2008, 06:23 PM
My Feedback: (8)

First flight on Sunday, what a blast! Great flying plane once I got it trimmed out; few clicks of left aileron and up elevator (still nose heavy with the YS 120). Only got two flights in, but for the second I filled up the smoke tank at tested it out..pretty cool, just need a bigger tank! Looking forward to next weekend.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

[8D] Hi friends, I send you some pics of my Mayhem, I used on the top of the fuse a flow laminator, hand made carbon landing gear and interior of the canopy. It´s powered by O.S. 120 and special decoration. It flies like angels.

Name:	Nl28827.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	900441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41261.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	900442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv56066.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	900443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29451.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	900444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep86248.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	900445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw27367.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	900446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rt33238.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	900447  
Old 03-12-2008, 09:22 PM

Hey gang!

My Mahem should be here by the weekend, and I've been shopping around for radio gear. All my radio gear is Hitec, and I'd like to keep it that way. I've been told I should go with 4 of the 5625's running a 6 volt battery, is that a good combo? Standard servo good enough for the throttle?

Also I'll be using a YS 110, since I'm on dialup, is there any mods I should plan to do for this motor? Is the stock tank good enough if I wrap it in packaging tape?

thanks!

DT
Old 03-14-2008, 12:41 AM
My Feedback: (17)

I think those servos will be fine. 6 volt will be nice. I wish I'd have done that. I used a 16oz Dubro tank. I can't remember if that was the stock tank or not. I kinda think it was. Anyways, many people say to wrap the tank with straping tape...I don't do that to mine. But it's probably a good idea. Some say they have split the tanks. I haven't had the problem and I've had many planes with the mighty 110 in them. My advice...wrap the tank but use the stock unit. I don't think you'll have any problems. Be sure and mount the tank back on the CG. With this plane and the mighty 110 you can put the tank exactly on the CG which will get you more consistant performance. Also, I think the axles are too weak. I had one break in midair on the fifth flight. Nice think the plane lands so slow I just landed with no instance. Didn't even flip over. But I imediately changed the axles. I'd do it before you fly it. Yet there are many who use the stock axles with no problem. If you're a gambler....!?!?!?!

I mounted my rudder servo in the tail to get it to balance properly. That takes a little doing since there isn't a mount back there. But I just cut a hole on the left side of the fuse just ahead of the stab and glued two 3/8" balsa sticks in and mounted the servo there. Only took about a 1/2 hour and has worked fine.

I balanced mine on the CG at 5 5/8". It fly great there. No need to go further back.

I use a 16x6 APC prop on my 110s. If you want to hover easier you will like the 17x4W. But hover is the only thing that's easier with the 17" prop. In every other way I like the 16x6 better. And it hovers pretty easy with the 16x6, just not as easy as the 17".

My firewall was marked backwards. I think there was a note in the instructions to that effect. It wasn't hard to change but it is something you should be aware of.

Other than those items, I think I didn't change a thing.

Thanks
Barry
Old 03-15-2008, 02:25 PM

Barry,

Thanks for all the great info, can't wait to get started. But I have yet to receive the plane, seems odd that it is shipped USPS, but whichever way it is getting here is taking awhile.

Where did you put the radio gear - mainly the battery?

Guess I'll get the workbench ready,

Jim
Old 03-17-2008, 09:23 PM

Hey rudedog, that plane looks badass compared to all the ugly stock red, white, and blue mayhem's. [:'(] I especially I like the bottom, the landing gear and the wheel pants all look great too, I'm looking forward to seeing it completely finished.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:18 PM

Okay, my Mayhem has finally arrived - first place I ordered from didn't work out, had mine from Tower in 2 days.

Haven't bit the bullet and ordered the radio gear yet, so I plan on starting with the fuse. One question - Using the YS 110, should I use the Hyde mount I've had laying around for awhile, or will the stock one be good enough. Was thinking the Hyde, since I already have it.

thanks.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:26 AM

Desert Toad...
Glad you got your Mayhem. It'll be a fun plane for ya.

I used the stock mount on mine as well as all the other planes I have that use the YS 110. It will work fine. But if you have the Hyde mount...why not use it? Weight shouldn't be a problem at all. You may have to balance with a bit of lead in the tail...but shouldn't be too much.
thanks
BArry
Old 03-25-2008, 06:52 PM

Turns out the Hyde mount is too short to work out with the cowl. Weather has been nice, so we've been spending most of our time outside - haven't even started on it yet!

Still need to look back at the way people are putting the rudder servo in the tail too.

thanks,

Jim
Old 04-01-2008, 01:37 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Usually its just a matter of adding some wood supports for the servo and wiring and rigging it.
Make sure you balance it tho
its a joy to fly!
Old 04-14-2008, 08:31 PM

Well I''ve finally been able to get some work done on my Mayhem. All I have left is the rudder servo, receiver, and battery. Then I have to learn how to program my Eclipse to best take advantage of this plane, I''ve never even so much as programmed in exponential. Yesterday was dead calm and 85, too bad I wasn''t ready!

I just would like some input on the rudder servo mounting. I''m using a YS 110 and seems everyone agrees that the rudder servo should go in the tail. I''m just wondering everyone''s thoughts on the two methods I''ve seen here. Should I go with a single short pushrod, or go with the shortened pull-pull version? Using all HS-5625s

thanks,

Jim
Old 04-15-2008, 09:10 AM

Desert Toad...

I went with the servo mounted in the tail on the left side. I just cut an opening in the side of the fuse and took some light plywood and "doubled" where the servo mount would be. I just glued the plywood in there where the servo screws attached. Pretty easy really. Then I used a short carbon fiber pushrod. I used the ones from Central Hobbies but many people make their own or you can just use 4/40 rod if you want. The whole process didn''t take more than an hour.

Thanks
Barry
Old 04-20-2008, 08:03 PM
My Feedback: (36)

What to do with the carnage of the failed first flight? Yes, I had a pretty nice looking Pro Citabria complete with the little G-20 gasser. Made about three laps pretty as a picture and then lost signal. She went straight in. About three years ago, a flying friend of mine had a Mayhem powered with YS 110. He used it as a springboard to learn 3D flying and has become an accomplished 3d'r. From the first time I saw this G-20, I have wonderd if it could be a match for the Mayhem. Well, I have done it. I have had only one day of flying it but it will do anything I have asked so far. I am not a 3D guy. Probably too late in life for that but I do like to try new things. There are a few modifications required to make the fit but it can be done and the cowl can be put around it too. For those who like gas and want to try it on a smaller scale this may be ineteresting. I will reply to those interested in the details.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:43 PM

Bob,
It was AWSOME to see the mayhem in flight saturday!
After your "uhmm puckering[X(]" take-off it trimmed real quick and was a very stable platform!
I believe it will do anything the pilot wants it to do.
Hard to beat the weather we had here on saturday,77* and 5-10 mph,which as some would know is not even considered a breeze in KS.
Look forward to flying with you again soon,
John
Old 04-26-2008, 07:18 PM

Did the maiden on the Mayhem today. Takeoff was a breeze! I don't think I added one beep of trim to anything. It seems to fly a lot like a pattern plane, with some serious 3D ability. I didn't get real crazy with it because I couldn't get my YS 110 set right on the low end but snap rolls are crazy! Worked on it quite a bit but only ended up getting two flight in. Spent the rest of the day with the OMP Katana powered by a great running ST G-51 with some serious years and hours.

Thanks to this forum, I didn't need to add an ounce of weight and it came in a 8lbs 2 oz.

I'm looking forward to getting it running in top condition!

DT
Old 05-27-2008, 04:55 PM

Here is the maiden flight video I made from this past weekend. It is actually user rudedogzx12's (from above) plane and I shot and edited the video for him. I dont think he'll ever post it in here so I am going along and posting it. Here are pictures of his plane and build too.

Pictures:

[link]http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/saltywheels/SaltyDog%20Productions/Mayhem/[/link]

Video:

[link]http://youtube.com/watch?v=9Kaf9PQk3k8&fmt=18[/link]

Old 06-12-2008, 04:11 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Cool video!
Nice color scheme, looks like the engine upright works pretty well. Easyer to get to everything, and keep the mess off the plane!!
Old 06-15-2008, 12:40 AM

Heres another video too from a couple weekends back:

[link]http://youtube.com/watch?v=7EfQkmk5pIc[/link]
Old 08-26-2008, 07:45 PM

bra67240 am iterested in puttin a mvvs 1.60 on my mayhem has a os 1.08 at the mo may have to put ignition batt in tail to balance power will haul it around great will start with a 17=6 prop have you got yours done with G 20?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:16 AM
My Feedback: (36)

sausage: Yes, I have completed the Mayhem with the G-20. I have about 30-40 flights on it. It will do anything I ask of it. I am really pleased with the outcome. I was able to sneak the ing. battery in the same area as the fuel tank, but I had to splice wiring to the sending unit so i could mount the ignition just behind the bulkhead where the wing plugs in. As you know, the gas engines are a little heavier which puts more stress on the fuselage. Our field has a paved runway which lets me make very smooth landings, mostly do to the airplane and not the pilot.

With the 1.6 you are using, you should have even more power than I have. Happy flying.

bra67240 (Bob)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.