Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Old 11-12-2008, 06:42 PM
bmitchell138

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

I've got an Evolution 46 on my Mayhem 40. I've only flown the plane three times, mostly get it trimmed out but from what I could tell the 46 pulled it around pretty good. I am running a 12.25X3.75 APC prop. The plane weighs about 4 lbs. 12 oz. Weather permitting I will put the Mayhem through its paces this weekend.

I really want to put a 4 stroke on it and have high hopes that Santa will leave a Saito 82 under the tree for me this Christmas.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Trev77

Thanks Barry - one piece it is!
Trev
Old 11-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Desert Toad

I've haven't gone flying or fishing for about 6 months, I like the new version of fly fishing! My Mayhem sits idle in the garage with the fishing gear, guess I should make a decision. Flying weather has been perfect, but I hear the walleye are hitting great less than 30 minutes from here.

Keep up the good work, perhaps I will be inspired to get something outside!
Old 11-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Trev77

Sorry to hear that you haven't been out flying or fishing for a while. Not sure how much inspiration I can conjure, except that I hope you do both, and enjoy the experience, again and again.

Maybe some mayhem float fishing is in order...just a thought.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:01 AM
Desert Toad

Hmmm.... Could I troll with that?
Old 11-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Trev77

Trolling with the mahem....now that has ring to it!
Old 11-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trev, you asked in an earlier post about using the 81 on your 90 size mayhem. I have been running a Saito 91 with an APC 15X4W prop on mine and it will hover at about 3/4 to 7/8 throttle. That leaves no extra for punch out but at least it will hover so I would guess the 81 will fly it around and do some decent aerobatics but nothing that approaches high alpha stuff. It's a very fun airplane and any maneuver that flies on the wing is awesome but with side force generators it would be a lot better. It needs a little help for high alpha knife edge as the fuse is just a little small to generate the needed lift from the side. Hope you have fun with yours. [8D][8D]

P.S. My MVVS 26 is now on mine but I haven't had time to fly it yet so I am looking forward to that.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Trev77

Thanks for the information Jezmo. I was going to wait until I could get a larger motor for it, but just couldn't, so it's great to hear that it will do some basic aerobatics as is. It's all Im looking for at this point, as I'm still learning. I have it 95% assembled with the motor mounted... just need to put the elevator and rudder servo's in and I'll be good to go.

What are side force generators?...still learing the lingo...

thanks again,

Trev
Old 11-29-2008, 06:42 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

Finally finished Mayhem ST 90 with a 13x8 APC. Will be changing prop later.[8D]
john
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44113.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1080997  
Old 12-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Jezmo

I took a pic of the Mayhem with the MVVS on it and thought you guys might like to see it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91544.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	1082692  
Old 12-02-2008, 03:59 PM
sausage

hav you flown that beast yet you will be pleased with the power i have early model 26 on mine still unlimited yours should be a bit more
Old 12-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Jezmo

Yes, I have now flown it and yes the power is nothing short of amazing. It will easily pull out of a hover and quickly gain speed going straight up. I added a little over a pound to the mayhem by putting this beast on it but I got some of that back by not having to use such a large tank as the glow engine used. It now weighs 9 lbs 14 oz ready to fly. On almost 1200 sq. in. of wing it still flies very light and with all that power it's a blast to fly. One word of caution though, something pulled the wing hold down block (where the T-Nuts for the wing bolts are) loose and I strongly believe the extra power had something to do with that. (The inverted snaps probably didn't help either) Fortunately I caught it before the wing came off in flight. If I had done one more inverted high G maneuver the wing would have came off and I would be out one awesome flying Mayhem. I literally pulled the mount out with two fingers after removing the wing. Hope you have as much fun with yours as I am with mine.

P.S. I have measured the static thrust on my MVVS as configured on the Mayhem and it is 17.4 lbs tuned just slightly rich. It's turning a XOAR 18X6 at 8700 and Pe's prop calc program shows 17.55 lbs which is very close to what I actually measured on my digital scale.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:23 PM
sausage

jezmo ,i reinforced the bolt mounts and the dowls with some epoxy, the dowls will be the next to go ,you were right it still flies so light . i may try a tuned pipe later for even more power
Old 12-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Jezmo

Thanks for the advice on the dowels. I will check and epoxy them as well.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:11 PM
jship

Does anyone have a Aileron Positioning Guide (APG) for the Mayhem 90. I have managed to lose mine. Would You be willing to scan it and e-mail me a copy.
Thankyou;
john
Old 04-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Trev77

John - I have a scanned copy of the APG for the mayhem 90. Note: When I printed it out and compared it with the actual template, the printed version was a a bit smaller...maybe a 1/4 inch on either end. Regardless of this shrinkage, the angle remains the same.
Regards,
Trev
Old 04-05-2009, 10:53 AM
jship

Could You e-mail the file (scanned copy of the APG for the mayhem 90) to [email protected] ?
thankyou
Old 05-23-2009, 10:33 PM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Not much actiuvity here for a while.

However, I have another one of these planes ready to go, following initial engine runs and set up.

From what I see here, sounds like it should be very nice. My specs are as follows:

all up weight 8 lbs, with side mounted OS 1.20 AX, Slimline muffler, MA 18/6 paddle blade prop, Futaba 3050 servos on controls with 3004 on throttle. Battery is 6 volt, 5 cell 2100 mAh pack mounted midway to rear of fuselage with hatch access to achieve balance - cg is 5.75" behind wing LE.

If all goes according to pan, tomorrow will be engine run in day on test bench, follwed by pix day and maiden.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:25 PM
jship

I've not had a chance to maden Mine yet. Been so busy with work and everything else. Wish You the best of luck with Yours. Some people realy love them and others love to hate them. Hope You are in the first group.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:12 PM
do335a

So far so good - all according to plan. Engine has had it's bench time today and runs well and strong. Easy starting, easy adjusting and very responsive to throttle after about 1/2 gallon of fuel.

Now it's one step closer to the maiden. Got that scheduled for Tuesday, weather permitting. Do not expect a peanut gallery at the field in the afternoon. Will set up the engine for the installation in the plane since I'll be using a different muffler and prop than on the bench.

Having seen my friend's version with the OS 91 2 stroke flying well at about 8.5 pounds, the only reason that I can see that some people hate these planes is that they don't have one.

BTW, jship. do you still need the APG? I copied mine and glued it to a piece of plywood. Still got the original and can check the angle fo
Old 06-14-2009, 07:47 PM
andrewdesollar

im on my second one the first had a os 120 four stroke with pump 16 4w apc and would not hover second one has a 150 saito 17 4w apc and 140 oz servos first one had to have 10 oz on the tale to ballance this one i have a 3000 mah nicad from jr on and i removed the covering and installed behind the wing cg dead on dont know how much it weighs but flys great windy or not and half throtle hovers were no porblem i would by another one if my goes down i riped the wing off hitting a runway light at the airport and went a fixed the fus and installed servos in old wing flys just as good
Old 06-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Ivo60

hey guys my nameis Ivo and amoung other airplanes my fav. by far is my 3-d mayhem. i GUESS i SHOULD START BY SAYING i PURCHASED MINE SECOND HAND.  oops ha the lock on. guess i should also say Im not a very good typer, so please bear with. I guess my main question and concern is this.... Im running a saito 120 which I love I also am running all futaba 3305 high torque metal gear but non dig. servos which I also love. I am usng a 2ooo mah common sense   lipo with a mpi regulator to 6 volts. everthing is real reactive , but I would like to know how dependable this Is as I have never used lipo before and wish I could have some sort of backup in case f lipo failure. my understanding is not If but when it will fail!!! please help.     worried in Rockford     Thanks in advance for any help.    Ivo
Old 06-17-2009, 01:40 PM
frenchie79

Ivo60,
I'll give you my two cents, I'm sure the system is good, but adding more weight to this plane is not what i would do. I believe the simpler you keep your setup the less chance for failure. Mind your batteries before each flight, look your plane over before each flight, maintain your equipment and you will be fine. I don't believe in redundent stuff, at least not in less expensive planes.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Jezmo

ORIGINAL: andrewdesollar

im on my second one the first had a os 120 four stroke with pump 16 4w apc and would not hover second one has a 150 saito 17 4w apc and 140 oz servos first one had to have 10 oz on the tale to ballance this one i have a 3000 mah nicad from jr on and i removed the covering and installed behind the wing cg dead on dont know how much it weighs but flys great windy or not and half throtle hovers were no porblem i would by another one if my goes down i riped the wing off hitting a runway light at the airport and went a fixed the fus and installed servos in old wing flys just as good
WOW, mine would hover with a Saito 91 andalthough it had nothing left over for punchout itwould hover for as long as you wanted. Of course now that it has the MVVS 26 on it easily goes balistic from hover which is about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. With the Saito 91 and no lead on the tail it was close to perfect on balance but with the 26 Idid have to add lead to the tail. Glad you are having fun with yours, they are real good flyers.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:29 AM
do335a

Well, guys, I've now had the maiden flight and one follow up, following a few minor adjustments.

CG at 5.75" from leading edge was definitely cause for a very exciting maiden flight! That was on low rates. Very amazing ability for this plane. At low throttle, it would literally turn around on a wing tip - that's with low rates, remember, as set per the book.

In preparation for the next flight, I moved the CG forward approximately 1/2" by installing 3" Du-Bro Lo Bounce wheels to replace the supplied lightweight foamies and installing those heavy supplied wheel pants.

Still on low rates, it is extrememly nimble, responsiveand well behaved. With no wind, at low idle and the nose not high - almost with the plane level longitudinally - it just floated along across the field at less than a slow walking pace, with total controlability. There was no tendency to drop a wing, stall or spin. In fact, with full aileron deflection, it instantly turned around within its length and cruised away, still at less than a snail's pace. The troops could not believe what they saw. However, I am a believer, since I saw it and did it.

At high throttle - about 1/2 - flight speed is quite brisk. At about 1/4 - 1/3 throttle, it will climb OOS, even doing rolls. Hover?, Yes sir, just above idle speed! Solid?You bet!

This will be a very nice plane and one of the most enjoyable thatI've had in quite a long time.It appers to me that we don't see more of them since it's not the most current, gotta-have-it, newestdesign of the month. So many people either do not know about it or simply pass it by. They are missing out on a great flyer.

Time to get some good video for the no-believers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.