Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Help with Saito .91

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Help with Saito .91

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 10:20 PM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Saito .91

Hey. I just got my new Saito 91. I am breaking it in right now and the thing just isn't running right. I have an APC 15-6 and 15-4w. Both are ballanced. I ran a tank thru it with it just above idle to seat everything in and then went from there. It runs good from low to high with no sputter and good transition. But at idle it really vibrates bad and the plane jumps around terrible. The motor just don't run right. I did change the plug. The one that came with it didn't work that well. After taking the glow starter off it would miss and bog down a little. But after changing plugs it doesn't do that. I am running Sig 10% in it which has 20% oil. It is good fuel. Any help with this situation would be appreciated. thanks. oh yeah. it is in a H9 Funtana.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:18 PM
expresspilot

Default RE: Help with Saito .91

Is it making any additional noise when its jumping around. If so it may be detonating. If not try leaning the low speed out you may be seeing it missing from being rich. they do come rich from saito. Saito's are tight when new they don't Idle well right off the bat and they like nitro. What I'm getting at is 10% is pretty low on a saito and when their new and tight you may be detonating at an idle where the timing and cooling are at there worst. try leaning out the idle first and then if that doesn't help get some higher nitro fuel until it breaks in a little. Once broke in they are great engines I don't use anything else anymore. Also don't forget to adjust the valves after a gallon or two of fuel. Use a .002" feeler gauge do not use the one they sent you it is a go no gauge and is .010" which is way loose the specs call for .002 to .004 and remember they wear losser not tighter so set it on the bottom end. Good Luck let us know how you make out.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:53 AM
Luke 3D returns

Higher nitro will INCREASE pre-detonation if thats whats happenning.
My advice is stick with it and put as much fuel through as you can, and gradually lean the idle needle out as you go along. They are always rough at the bottom end when they are new.
10% nitro is fine. The manual says that a Max of 15% should be used, so youre ok.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:16 AM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll stick with my 10% fuel for now. I guess they just run rough at idle when new. Hope it don't shake my plane to death. I'll check the valve clearance after a gallon or two. I have shim gauges that are good. I'm a tool-maker, so i can pretty much tell the correct thickness of a gauge. I'll just keep on running it. Hopefully it'll shape up.... thanks again.......
Old 05-09-2004, 11:28 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Go to 15% its all I run through my Saito's, 5 of them. GIve it time to break, the motor will get smoother. It will take about 10 tanks, then you will see a big difference. If you want to see a real smooth idle and power try 30% nitro. I use a castor/synth blend. Wildcat 15% with 18% oil.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Luke 3D returns

Just started running in my 100 today. After around 40 mins running the engine runs very well once both needles are leaned out.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:39 PM
rogue-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

My saito .91 was giving me a fit too at idle. It had good transition but wanted to load up at idle. I threw away the plug that came with the engine and installed a os f plug started using 15% wildcat 4 stroke fuel leaned the low needle a little and the problems are gone. It isn't broken in yet but it is getting stronger each time. I have it installed in a Great Planes Ucan do 60 size and it does pretty good.
Old 05-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Luke 3D returns

It was probably leaning the lower needle that did the trick