Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Am I crazy?

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Am I crazy?

Old 06-14-2003, 01:27 AM
ChillPhatCat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I crazy?

First I took a .25 sized sport trainer (Cosmo) and dropped in a .46 ASP... made it into a 95 MPH Speed demon... captured a High-Low Competition title at our '00 open house... 32 and 87MPH

Then I built this Somethin' Extra with a Webra .61 It takes off and rockets vertically and doesn't slow down for a good 300 feet.

I just ordered a 34cc Fuji Gas engine today for my latest project... the most overpowered plane yet... a sport 1/4 scale Sukhoi Su-26... Carl Goldberg models. A 1.95 CID Gas engine for a .90 sized plane... Is this gonna be too much power or what? Am I looking at a 3D champ or a 100+ MPH monster?
Old 06-14-2003, 01:30 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Am I crazy?

Overpowered.....NAH overweight.............Maybe. I used to fly a Goldberg SU with a Webra 1.20 glow.
It was by no means overpowered. The SU in the pic with me is a Sig 1/4 scale with a ST 3250. Thats a
1.99 glow. I'm thinking it would outpower the Fuji and I still don't have unlimited verticle. I also like
to overpower my stuff. The big gas will give you awsome verticle but wont be a speed demon.
Should be a lot of fun to hover. To answer you original question. They say it takes one to know one
and you might be a little touched?!??!?!?!?!?!
later daveo
Old 06-15-2003, 12:35 AM
southern_touch99

Default Am I crazy?

speed DOES NOT = 3D

if you like to fly fast then fly fast, but to 3d, torque is the key
Old 06-19-2003, 10:35 PM
ChillPhatCat

Default Am I crazy?

I wasn't planning to fly fast... but I like a good steady pace now and then, but it isn't crucial. I am fully aware of what 3D is. But I am quite sure that this plane is also going to move at a decent clip.

I got the engine on wednesday and built up an engine stand. I've got it turning an 18x8 Classic series Master Airscrew right now... I couldn't bring myself to use an APC that size due to it's goofy apearance. As it is the engine pulls like nobody's business. It looks like the plane is going to come out around 10 lbs right now which gives about 23 ounces per square foot wing loading. I can mix in some flaperons if I must, but I believe that it will be ok without.

By my calculations Static Thrust is around 18 lbs with this engine.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:26 PM
southern_touch99

Default Am I crazy?

A Bolly prop would look good on there, as well as a Mejzlik. Yeah, these are kind of high but you get what you pay for.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:47 PM
ChillPhatCat

Default Am I crazy?

Yeah, I'm considering one... but I think the $12 classic series will be a good prop for the first couple flights, just so I don't go wasting a $30+ prop on my first flight.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:48 PM
S Couch

Default Am I crazy?

I also have the Sukhoi, and you may be disapointed with the speed, because the big round front end catches wind like a parachute, but if it's really that lite it will be a great flyer! so much wind whistles through these things they sound like a Winabego coming by.