Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

What did we all think of Sandown??

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

What did we all think of Sandown??

Old 05-26-2004, 11:06 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did we all think of Sandown??

first I'd like to say thanks to Kevin who helped us all through our flight tests without us walking away with the shakes, in fact i think it was only Andrew on the way up that lost a couple of stone
talking of which Sandowns big secret is the downstairs toilets, despite not being able to move upstairs, the central stairs are abandoned and no ques, infact, no people at all

much like the flight line, very quiet both days compared to what i saw just 3 years earlier, something echoed by friends that used to come during the 80's
the line up planes was smaller than our show!!! tho some of what was on show was far better, even if it wasn't there by the Sunday evening.

Talking of evenings, call me silly but i thought that as we're all flying friends together people might actually hang around after the show for some off the peg fun once the great unwashed went home :P, apart from a few shockys no-one flew and you couldn't walk about for some after show bargains either, esp Sunday which i considered to be the day traders couldn't be bothered to pack it all up and sold it cheap. everyone was packed and gone by 6.30!!!!
no-one was up for haggling either.

supply of goods was poor, could we find props???? could we heck, we had every 9x7 going on the site, i got 3, Cartman got 4, that was it!! you might think it's ok, not everyone is flying and needs props. but it's nice to be able to stock up on these things.
i think it's the sky high rates for a stand that put traders off bringing everything

The slots were ok esp brightened up by Ali, Dave and Bob's death spin helis as well as others who's names i do not know. i think we lacked the jaw dropping stuff CPLR can do but the others brought the standard up from what the rest of us mear mortals were doing.

Us 4 had great fun in all our slots, following each other is damn hard when the horizon is that cluttered but we met up sometimes. I had one bad slot where some heli fool didn;t bother giving his peg back, half way through the slot i got it but then lost aileron control on the second circuit. i still had elevator which got it heading for the golf course when i got ailerons back. quick landing but everything checked out. weird. no problems next flight.

Mike was pleased with out flights and turns out he did good business after our battles, 4 deep at times waiting for kits.

the biggest let down is the Bear Pub which doesn't understand " side order of chips and a couple of sausages if you've got them"
what you get instead is a £7sommit meal missing everything, except the damn gravy which is full to the brim. and when you say "i can't eat this" the answer is "tough"
avoid this pub at all costs, unless your Choppy coz then you get nuts and crisps for free

Thanks to Kevin again, Archie for the Shocky and letting my scruffy Capiche share the space, also for giving it a home over night. Thanks to all the flyer's for the entertainment ( needed it thanks to the poor trader turn out ) Thanks to Dave and Ali who aren't high up flying gods that smite you for daring to approach but take the time to have a chat and laugh ( Friday night with the indoor flying was great )
And big thanks to Mike Mayne and his wife who without we wouldn't be there in the first place let alone flying!

all 4 of us had a good time ( including Cartman who met his burger again sooner than he thought and then couldn't fly Sunday, and Andrew that learnt the lodge's sinks don't have overflows[X(] )

see you all next time ( at the NEC hey??? )

so what did you all think of the show, and will it still be going in 2006??

Images to come soon!
Old 05-26-2004, 11:22 AM
Shahid

Default RE: What did we all think of Sandown??

Show was fun. Got some good VHS of that jet and Alis heli, also the C90 and C140, bits and bobs too. Can't upload VHS people.

I was expecting it to be much bigger from what I heard, to be honest I was a little disappointed BUT it was still a good show! Lots of fun things to drool at. Thanks to all the displays dudes and dudettes, many of the happy traders, and Ali for saying hello to my dad, sorry I missed you Ali, I was in dreamland.

Great displays keep it up!

Also thanks to the jet guy for keeping me happy when I was queing up!

Thnaks to everyone! You know who you are, and if you don't know who you are you have amnesia.

Jolly good!

Pip pip.
Tally ho.
Kebab roll.
Spicy and dicy.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:26 AM
Shahid

See you guys at wings and wheels if you are coming. I will have a BIG vhs camara on my shoulder like a BBC person.

Just read about Alis heli, sorry about the heli.

I must mention Miss BMFA...
Old 05-26-2004, 11:50 AM
Matrix

Been going to Sandown for about 11 years now. Can't remember such a low turnout of traders in that time. Was it just me, or were most of the ones that did go only taking large stuff like kits with them. Hardly any "bits & bobs" to be found anywhere
I wanted props and some heli bits and found none.
Nexus were sorely missed by a lot of people from conversations I heard.

Flying was generally good (esp. Capiches, Ali, Dave & Bob) Sorry to hear about Alis' Jet Ranger, that was one Mother of a Beauty.

Don't know if I'll bother next year.
Roll on Wings & Wheels

Ian.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:01 PM
Ian.W

well, i was dissapointed. I was expecting a show, but as someone pointed out its not, its a trade show. So there arnt like any one off displays part from ali and bob. I think of christophe wss there the crwd would have been better.

the comentary was also pretty dull, at least with DB he cracks a few jokes, tho rarely. lol.

I found the shopping great, but too packed, i think, imho, that they should scrap the top area idea and fill it with more shops, make it less crouded downstairs.

I think my percases were great, tho i bought some 5 min epoxy from the big glue stand and i got it home and tried to glue stuff with it. its crap, basically its watery and i was waiting for this stuff to dry for an hour! so i pulled it off and used some of there oderless cyno which is brilliant.

Reflex XTR stand was fun. crap sim but awespme graphics. i found the flip wallowed around very unlike mine. I actually enjoyed showing off on the stand, which is unlike me as im not to "hey look at me everyone", that why i didnt speek to any of you apart from Chris. tho anyways, i was doing tail tapping torque rolls on the katana, which i fond to be the onnly realistic thing about the plane, as it was twitchy. the flip however felt as though the the CG was about 5" too far back as it was like a pendumlam swinging.

The ansa stand was too packed, they should spread out the stands and use the top floor as i said, were as the pete tindal stand was empty, as it had loads of space.

The upstairs was pointless, move that outside with a big marque over it to protect agiainst the elements.

other than that i cant ay much else

Ian
Old 05-26-2004, 12:18 PM
Cactus.

i don't think upstairs is really for "punters" its a less crowded chance for the mags to get a few shots in of the new wares.

my quote of the weekend is ( active David Dickinson voice ) " what a flyyerrr "

i had a play on reflex, 4 of us there 3 from our club, my mates have a go and manage to get it around, then the other guy says he's some aeros flyer so I'm expecting good things, oooh a KE and he claims theres not enough power for a hang.
so i have a go, right into hang, and a waterfall at 2', umm not very realistic is it.[&o]
Old 05-26-2004, 12:57 PM
Ian.W

try a KE spin on the flip, very slow then BANG it sundenly does about 3 turns per second
Old 05-26-2004, 01:20 PM
Cactus.

heres some of my pics....

Dave indoor flying. ( video now available, 500KB file, list up the E-mail addys and i'll send when theres a few )
Our funfighters, my FW 190 and Spitfire up front
Saturdays crowds... if crowds are the right word
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81419.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	136669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10122.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	136670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39628.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	136671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70868.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	136672  
Old 05-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Cactus.

Ultimate's C90 being carried back by Malcom after his test.
Me on my test looked over by Kevin. Andrew launching
Jamie after his test with the Spitfire
Us flying on the Sunday, left to right. Jamie ( Spitfire ) Me ( FW190 ) Andrew ( FW190 ) Choppy replacing Cartman sick in bed ( BF 109 )

Name:	Ig12866.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	136673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44502.jpg
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	136674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62486.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	136675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro42068.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	136676  
Old 05-26-2004, 01:29 PM
Cactus.

Bob inverted cutting the grass, was a bit long and broke a couple of planes.
a highlighted pic showing Bob's path during a death spin, yes he almost hit the car park!
Ali with the Capiche 140
Dave and Ali together, missed the dual prophang

Name:	Eb86597.jpg
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	136681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19349.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	136682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69536.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	136683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41675.jpg
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	136684  
Old 05-26-2004, 01:31 PM
Ian.W

Death Spiral phill its Death SPIRAL
Old 05-26-2004, 01:33 PM
Cactus.

Alis eurofighter on a harrier pass then landing wheels up.
Ali's Extra torque rolling
Ali's new toy

Name:	Fd90910.jpg
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	136692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60263.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	136693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69991.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	136694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16718.jpg
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	136695  
Old 05-26-2004, 01:34 PM
davej78

Didnt go, first time in ten years and from what Ive heard it looks like I made the right decision, probably wont bother next year either its not a show just a glorified boot sale, lousy venue that can be overlooked if the flyings top class, Ive seen better shows at local club do's.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:36 PM
Cactus.

planes i like the look of:
Dingo 3D
Razor
Groove
and a member of the Elmbridge club's Vampire

Name:	Lj21919.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	136696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91567.jpg
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	136697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71468.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	136698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44886.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	136699  
Old 05-26-2004, 01:38 PM
Ian.W

phill, thats a cap, not an extra
Old 05-26-2004, 01:59 PM
Shahid

Phil your funfighters were ballistic!!!

Jolly good shew!
Old 05-26-2004, 03:48 PM
Sprink

Hmm... well I did enjoy Sandown, more this time than in the past, mainly because I managed to chat with a few of you. For the die hard kit builder like me, there is little of interest in the trade stands, especially as Nexus weren't there. Had my list of screws, bolts etc that I wanted, but no one else does them

Personally I think Ali is better than CPLR in terms of entertainment, as he flies more varied stuff, like the jets and the heli.

As for numbers, yes did seem down. Quite easy to walk around inside (except when stuck behind prams [:@]), and most stalls it was possible to get straight up to the counter.

How to improve things, well there are all sorts of issues:

- Venue: not the best by any means. Only good thing is the stands if you want to relax and watch the flying sitting down. But the hall inside does limit space, and the temporary runway is never going to replace a decent strip.

- Flying displays: could do with more display flying as in Ali, CPLR and Bob Johnson. Trouble is with the runway it is you are going to struggle to get the top scale displays like the Ghost Squadron. Also, do the traders have to pay for their slots? I assume they do as that is why there are so many. And the thing with the traders is that they tend to follow a carpet bombing approach with as many up in the air in one go, which makes it hard to follow what is happening. The exception that proves the rule: YT had Dave and Ali flying for them, both flying Adrenalines, and nothing else! I was in the crowd while they were flying, and the crowd loved it.

- Cost: Dont know how much it costs to display at Sandown, but from what I hear it is not cheap. And getting in is not cheap either. £9.50 [:'(]. And then £1 or whatever for a programme, which is full of adds anyway. Should be £6 or less, including programme.

I suspect Nexus are just trying to bleed it dry, then will dump it when it no longer pays. That will mean if it is to survive, EMC (my club) will have to pick up the pieces . By then maybe too late.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:20 PM
Cactus.

£55 per sq foot is what i heard!!!!

one thing i noticed in the slots as you say about number is for example the Capiche slot, now nothing wrong with it at all, but if it's just Dave out there we all think oh yes, of course he can do that.
with a few others you can see varied skill levels and maybe even some on par with yourself or below ( which i saw in other slots ) i think this blast approach gives a better representation of what the plane can do in your own hands.

as Nexus runs the show isn't it weird they don't want to cough up their £££? apart from the RCM&E stand which used a lot of room, but had few visitors [:-][&:]

as for venues there is allot of talk about the NEC show, but it says on the sheet no jets because of the airport, wonder about Bobs auto's could this also be very limited on the space for flying??? what other place could there be? huge indoors for stands, huge outdoors better set up..
some airfield with hangers??

Glad you liked the Funfighters, we've used 37 engines which when their meant to be 15-25, 25fp at the most is a little... over powered, but they take it great with no extra build other than the 1/2" longer nose. With that extra weight you can still fly slwo and land slow, as hopefully you saw, we did try to slow down

Sprink, think i missed you, didn't instantly recognize many people and didn't really go hunting, sorry
Old 05-26-2004, 04:26 PM
dean3d

I enjoyed some of the flying on the saturday.....Ali i like your cap and the yak i seen....
Weston park soon cant wait for that i should be flying there some...

Dean
Old 05-26-2004, 05:17 PM
vease

Phillybaby, I need to come on here just to thank you for 1- getting the noses of my planes in when taking a pic of your funfighters,

and then 2. for getting a pic of me putting me collar up sitting on the bench trying to make sure I don't litterally burn to death like I did on the Saturday.

And to add my comments. Ali as usual was outstanding....THE GIT!!!

The show seemed a bit quiter but I can't complain. I got airtime and no damage and had the pleasure of a front row seat watching the action
Old 05-26-2004, 05:49 PM
vease

Phillybaby,

I've just read in another thread that I inspired you with my spin doctor. A comment that really took me by surprise as the pete tindal slot is a mass of unorganisation so if you land in one piece it's a bonus.

I'm sure luke will agree with that as the one who hangs around in the middle probably hoping not to be hit by me or one of the others.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:40 PM
Mark.v.

Unfortunately, i have to agree with 'most' of the posters, comes as a real shame when the only real bit of excitement was two choppers hitting each other, sorry for the guys that it happened to, but this year was the worst i have seen.

The trade stalls were terrible, with a hell of a lot of traders not turning up as planned, and the prices, whatever happened to the great Sandown trade price, i would of bought a UCANDO, had one been there, nope, so i looked at the Hype 3D, pffft, same price as you can get it any other day of the year by ordering direct. Thank god for Overlander, they actually had some great bargains.

Well done to the Flyers, they put on as good a show as they could, i spent most of the day watching them, but frankly was not as happy as in previous years.

Here's hoping next year is a little better. []
Old 05-26-2004, 06:54 PM
cabanestrut2002

good weekend, managed to get sunstroke on saturday and was very ill.

still enjoyed it, stalls were crap, flying was good!

vease. are you the one flying the spin doctor who was doing some of the nastiest flick rolls ive ever seen?

i noticed you checked everything was still holding on after that flight!
Old 05-27-2004, 03:27 AM
vease

yeah cabanestrut2002, that was me!!

They are a bit viscous so I'm sure something will let go one day. Still, it looks pretty good (I hope?).
Old 05-27-2004, 06:16 AM
Luke 3D returns

Only ever seen those flicks out of the corner of my eye, but looked impressive!!
Know what you mean about the prophanging vease. Tried to stop hogging the middle by getting it lower and out of the way by the railings on sunday. Will try and do that from now on so the rest can do their KE and fast passes without worry. Good thing now is that if dad says someones coming at me i can blast out the way by letting the loverly saito 100 rip.

Thought the formation flying we did on sunday was great for the Tindal's airplanes slots. Also liked the Capiches in the formation elevator and mass blender.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.