Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Wing Fences

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Wing Fences

Old 07-10-2002, 04:46 PM
SteveD-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wing Fences

I know there's probabily a thread on this somewhere but I'll ask anyways.I have a GSP Staudarcher 90" span with a Quadra 75 and weighs 21.5 lbs that'll snap when you pull on the elevator quickly at higher airspeeds.It snaps to the right even on low rates
I know it has to do with wing loading and wing area especially toward the tips.
I know of a guy that redesigned a wing for his Midwest Cap by increasing his chord,thickness, and area at the tips,and moved his leading edge forward ,and his Cap flys great.
Are there any simpler ways?,without building a new wing?
What about wing fences or stall strips,anyone attempt using those?......any other ideas?....Steve
Old 07-10-2002, 07:59 PM
Balsageek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing fences

I don't thinks wings and fences are a good combination. I got one of mine stuck in barbed wire. That really sucked.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:13 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Default Wing Fences

Steve:

The easiest things to do are raise both ailerons 1/8" and move cg
1/2" forward.

Randy
Old 07-10-2002, 08:16 PM
edh13
My Feedback: (9)

Default Stall strips

I noticed a guy at the field this weekend with stall strips (about 10" of triangle stock balsa) mounted to the LE of his 1.20 size extra/edge/cap thing near the wing root. Looked just like the crop dusters I worked on when I was a kid. He said it solved a horrible tip stall problem. If you only notice it when pulling hard you may just have a split elevator problem. If you can, dial some more up in that left elevator and see if that works.
Old 07-10-2002, 10:12 PM
SteveD-RCU

Default Wing Fences

Thanks I'll try some of those ideas...Steve
Old 07-11-2002, 10:23 AM
Geoffbob
My Feedback: (12)

Default Wing Fences

Here's something else you might think about... I have a 120-size Yellow Cap 232 that's just been hairball for the last two years; I put endplates on the wings and that helped considerably. Still would snap occasionally, though. Out of desparation, and from a fellow club member's suggestion, I reflexed the outboard 4" of the ailerons up about 1/8" and it completely changed the airplane. It is essentially adding washout to the wings. I just slicedthe ailerons, moved them up, glued them, and recovered. I did this about a week ago and I haven't been able to get the plane to snap at all (unintentionally); I can fly at half the speed with twice the elevator input. Still does tight outside loops without snapping out, too. I was planning on replacing this plane, now I'm having so much fun with it I'll keep it! (And save a bunch of money, too).
Old 07-11-2002, 11:10 AM
R/Ckrazy

Default Geoff

Geoff, by any chance do you have a close up pic of what you aileron now looks like? This could help me considerably,
Jim
Old 07-11-2002, 11:38 AM
OUTCAST

Default Wing Fences

I'm sure this is a silly question, but you did balance the plane right to left, remember just 2 oz at 8 G's is a pound of tip weight. Also does it still snap right when inverted?
Old 07-11-2002, 02:35 PM
SteveD-RCU

Default Wing Fences

Thats interesting Geoff,just wondering if you ended up taking off those end plates or did you leave them on after the aileron mod?....Steve..oh and I did balance it laterally and I have'nt tried any outside loops yet....
Old 07-12-2002, 09:44 AM
SteveD-RCU

Default Wing Fences

Geoff I did a similar mod to my GSP Staudarcher and I noticed a definte improvement.It still needs triming and I'm working on thrust offset etc.I'm considering installing the tip plates to further improve it.I cut the ailerons 6" in from the tips and raised them 1/8".I felt a lot more confident flying it last night on my 6th flight doing some tighter loops.Thanks for the tip...Steve
Old 07-12-2002, 10:14 AM
Geoffbob
My Feedback: (12)

Default Wing Fences

I'll try and get a pic up here; I don't have a digital camera but I should be able to borrow something... probably won't have anything here until Saturday afternoon. I left the plates on, to me it looks a bit funky but nobody else seems to notice! I'm happy it worked out for you; it's one of those things that you normally wouldn't think about but it sure works well! Happy flying!
Old 07-12-2002, 12:52 PM
R/Ckrazy

Default Geoff

Geoff, if its any easier to send a pic by email mine is

[email protected]

I have retired more than 1 plane due to severe tip stalling !!! uuggg!

Jim
Old 07-12-2002, 01:19 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default edh13

Am curious about your buddy's set up? At what speed or configuration was he experiencing the horrible tip stalls? Although I'm no engineer, the inboard stall strips are supposed to stall the root even sooner than without them, no? Wouldn't this load the tips even more raising the stall speed? Maybe I'm just having a senior moment
Old 07-13-2002, 01:44 AM
edh13
My Feedback: (9)

Default bob_nj

Your exactly right. It does allow the root to stall sooner. Better to have the root stall first than the tip (where all or most of your aileron authority is). I guess the theory is to have a little more roll control further into the stall.
Old 07-13-2002, 03:32 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wing fences

I only applied a fence to a wing one time. It turned out to be non-beneficial...
I agree with Balsageek...wings and fences don't go together that well.

My plane had a multitude of stalling problems when it "sifted" through that chain link fence...however the neat little 2 1/2" diamond shaped pieces where convienant to bag.
Old 07-13-2002, 08:19 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Now that's funny