Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Funtana 90 Questions

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Funtana 90 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 05:55 PM
E*nealio
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funtana 90 Questions

I have had my funtana 90 for some time now, screwed around with it but it seems to me that i have to hover with my ys 110 at about 3/4 throttle....Is it that im about 75-100 ft up or something else? Im in Austin Texas so I'm not that much above sea level. Im spinning a APC 16 4 prop at 9500 rmps at max. The plane comes in at 9 3/4 lb. Whats up??? How are you guys getting yours to hover at 1/4 throttle? I even went to a 16 oz tank and 30% heli? Whats up? The last thing im doing is removing my 10 oz out of the nose when i get my pull pull set up, and some Fiber-Lite gear in.

Does anyone know a place besides fiber-lite that makes extra tall CF gear for the Funtana 90? I want to put my 17*4 prop on b/c i can get about 10500 rpms with a damn good response on my 16*4.

With nose weight out and Cf gear i should come in at around 8 1/2 lbs. That should be pretty light for the plane...........But the fact still remains, why am im not getting a solid hover or vertical with my YS combo now_-----
-----barely hovers at 3/4 throttle
-----No vertical ---stops at full throttle about 2-3 seconds into a vert climb

Next issue--- CG
What are you guys getting CG's set at for a good performance all around in 3D, Im at 7 inches and that seems a little foreward..............I have my tank mounted behind the wing tube as foreward as possible, pretty dang close to the CG--the best i can get with that plane.

Next issue---- Mixing
How much elevator Correction are you guys putting into the Mix for knife edge?
=Also, is it easier to control a hover with a mix that makes my elevator go up and my ailerons go down at the same time?? I have that mix on one of my Real flight planes and seems to be pretty smooth. But may just be a waste of time lol and they counteract each other.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:45 PM
aerobatic 3D

Default RE: Funtana 90 Questions

I would like to stay up with this thread also, I'm about to start flying a Funtana wit a Saito 120. Still working the bugs out on low idle, had to add an on board glow driver.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:34 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

I noticed something that may be of interest for the YS engine users, and maybe they can add their experiences here.
The 4-strokes that I have run in the past have been either OS Surpass or Saitos, but when I flew someone's Funtana 90 w/ YS110, it seemed to me that there is definitely a different power curve between the YS and the Saito engines. The Saitos seem pretty linear and the YS seemed top end biased. IE, on the YS, the power seemed to come on strong at 3/4 throttle. Perhaps it was the differnece in spool up time. Maybe different porting of something, I don't know, but you'd definitely needed to get used to the YS' power curve.
Perhaps a throttle to throttle mix to smooth out the power would make it easier to hover and TR?
How about some input from the YS users out there.

I certainly know why so many warbird guys love the YS, the top end power is incredible!
Old 10-28-2004, 08:44 AM
Mr_Scary

I put the 60/90 sized Edge 540 gear from Aerotech on mine. I did a big search here and came across this. They are made by GraphTech. Worked great. About $50 total shipped. Ordered on a Tuesday, got them on Thursday, UPS Ground. Work great for me. I run an APC 18x6W with a Saito 180. I also put some Titanium axels on.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:50 AM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

You may find a BIG difference with your APC17x4W & 30%---That's what I'm using---Unlimited vertical---
Old 10-28-2004, 12:51 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

My FT 90 with a YS 1.10FZ spinning a 16x4 hovers around 1/2 throttle or a click over. My 1.10 spins the APC 16x4 at 10,300 and my plane RTF weighs 8.67 lbs. I guess I got a light one. I need to get a 16x6 or 17x4 to get the RPM down some. Vertical pull out is no problem. My CG is 7.25 right now, but thinking about moving it back even further. I am using wildcat 20/20. I've never used 30% yet. This thing would be wild to fly on that. I live in Jackson, MS which is 283ft ASL. I am using a 1650mAh NiMH 6V. HS-5645MG all around except throttle (HS-85BB) with a dual tail wire braces. Stock gear and a 20oz tank. I had to add 3.5-4.0 oz to the nose to balance due to the dual tail braces, better tailwheel and heavier servos (2.1 oz each= 6.3oz). I do fly with the flaperons coupled with the elevator on a switch. It does lock into a hover better. My plane hovers a lot better in that setup.

Your YS isn't spinning the prop enough. My 1.10 is spinning 800 rpm faster than you. That is comparable to the speed of a YS .91FZ. I own one also.

What glow plug, fuel brand and prop are you using?
Old 10-28-2004, 06:45 PM
E*nealio

Im Running an Os Type F on 30 % Nitro.
You guys have answered my call, im going to get the GraphTech Gear and also lighten that baby up with a pull pull system. The reason mine ways so much is that I have Hitec 5625's and a 5645 in the tail, I think I'll get some lighter ones later-- 2 oz a piece is a ton of weight in the tail--total of 6.3 in servos......I get about 10500 rpm but i have it slowed down-- ( i set my servo travel a little short of full throttle... Dont want to overspin the engine. Well sounds good, ganna get me a 17 4 wide prop and some tall graphTech gear.

DTB--
I dont see how you have only 3-4 oz in nose weight with those Hitec servo's, I think the ones i have are the culprit to all my weight problems. 2.1 oz each................................. I can get some JR's at 1.6 oz's..................

Thanks again,
Nealio
Old 10-28-2004, 07:01 PM
DTB

ORIGINAL: E*nealio

DTB--
I dont see how you have only 3-4 oz in nose weight with those Hitec servo's, I think the ones i have are the culprit to all my weight problems. 2.1 oz each................................. I can get some JR's at 1.6 oz's..................

Thanks again,
Nealio
I understand the engine setup. I richen mine up some to get the speed down some also. I will probably be removing more weight when I move the CG back further. Not sure if your CG problem is servo related. You may just have a heavier plane overall I have the same HS-5645mg and a dual tail wire with a scale tailwheel, robart hinges, robart control horns and a pull pull setup only for the tail wheel movement. I have added a ton of extra weight to the tail, but I was able to balance with no problem.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39563.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	187628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38157.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	187629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25371.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	187630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31455.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	187631  
Old 10-29-2004, 09:38 PM
E*nealio

Sucks for me,
I had to add 1 1/2 pkg of Lead weight to balance mine out..............
Smells like my CF GEAR is on the way and a PULL PULL INSTALL...........lol, i want an 8 1/2 lb plane.................[:'(]
Old 10-30-2004, 01:43 AM
DTB

Sucks for me,
I had to add 1 1/2 pkg of Lead weight to balance mine out..............
Smells like my CF GEAR is on the way and a PULL PULL INSTALL...........lol, i want an 8 1/2 lb plane.................[:'(]
A pull-pull would help some. I didn't add a pull-pull though. I had to set it up as though I had a pull pull for the tail gear to work properly, but it uses a control rod for movement of the rudder. I hope you understand, if not I can take a photo of it.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:17 PM
E*nealio

dont worry i gotcha, i just want to remove 2 ounces from the tail, i know what you mean.....Well sounds good, ordering my CF Gear today. I still dont see how you have such a light plane, do you have all your electronics gammed up in the front of the plane? To help and not add so much weight i went with a 2700 mah nimh.......(dont have to charge that thing for a while).
Old 11-02-2004, 02:40 AM
VanWidick
My Feedback: (22)

I had a YS 1.10 with

17x4W felt short on power, low rpms.
16x4W on got alot of rpms didnt feel that prop had enough to pull out

Put a YS 1.40 on it

17x4W on get plenty of pull and power, unlimited vertical

Nice
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22512.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	189060  
Old 11-02-2004, 02:46 PM
DTB

dont worry i gotcha, i just want to remove 2 ounces from the tail, i know what you mean.....Well sounds good, ordering my CF Gear today. I still dont see how you have such a light plane, do you have all your electronics gammed up in the front of the plane? To help and not add so much weight i went with a 2700 mah nimh.......(dont have to charge that thing for a while).
I imagine I just lucked out and got a light model. I am using a 1650 mAh NiMH 6V (4.9oz) Which I have in the engine box. I am using a 20oz tank also. I removed the wheel pants also but kept the stock gear (plan to replace with CF gear). I put fuel dots on the cowl also. I did pin the firewall and put extra tri-stock in the engine box for extra support. I am using a HS-85BB for the throttle in the stock throttle position. I had to make a smaller box for the servo to fit through. My Rx is located toward the rear of the plane. My HS-5645MG servos in the tail each have 18" extensions that plug into the Rx. The Rx is located directly under the canopy area in the fuse. My wings have been beafed up so a little added weight may be helping me with the CG. Probably not too much since it is so close to the CG area of the wing.

If you put the 2700mAh pack in the engine box, you will be placing at least 6.5oz up front. With all the extra weight I have on the tail section, it balances fine. My CG is 7.25" behind the LE.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:19 PM
VanWidick
My Feedback: (22)

You put a saito 1.80 on your Funtana 90 ?

How did it run ?

Was it nose heavy ?
Old 11-02-2004, 07:10 PM
E*nealio

I have the 2700 mah pack up there now and still have 1 pkg of lead in the nose.........I hope the 17 by 4 wide on my 110 will do it. I dont want to go buy another engine. Sheesh, why does my have to be so dang tail heavy the whole time...............im right at 7 1/8 th's. It's not fair!!! i want your plane DTB!!!
On the other hand, i get my CF gear in soon, i ordered it on Sunday so i should be here soon. And then i go and install a pull pull system. Hope this lightens it up!!!!
Old 11-02-2004, 09:20 PM
aerobatic 3D

Well I removed the Saito 120 and put the 180 in its place. Now I have a reliable idle and plenty of power on the up lines. I made one flight on it Sunday and it didn't need any adjustments on the trims. I did some minor aerobatics but still a bit spooked to try to much, will be pressing it more as time passes. I took pictures and they will be coming soon. I really hate that I can't get a set of the carbon landing gear from fiber lite. They said it would be a while before they made more due to a shortage in carbon fiber. My luck[&o], anyone got a landing gear from fiber lite for the Funtana 90 for sell???
Old 11-03-2004, 05:55 PM
E*nealio

I got my Carbon Gear from :
[link]http://www.graphtechrc.com/[/link]

nealio
Old 11-03-2004, 08:34 PM
flynbrian
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Nealio what field do you fly at.

Carbon fiber landing gear will not help your cg situation. Since the landing gear are ahead of the cg.
Graph tech is the best and they support their product. They have replaced landing gear that have delaminated free of charge (a $70 value).

peace, Brian Dierks
[email protected]
Old 11-05-2004, 10:28 PM
E*nealio

I was not hoping the CF gear would effect the CG. But I did want to lose 5 oz(no wheel pants and lighter axles) All up came out to be 5 oz package which is a big diff from 12 with the stock. The way I hope to help get my nose weight out is with the pull-pull im going to install this next week.
(takes 2.1 oz out of the tail and moves it way forward---therefore-no nose weight).
Total weight now w/4.5 oz in the nose 9 lb or a little less( i dont have that accurate of a scale--deviates on a .5 lb scale from 8.5-9.0 on its nose.....)
the good news is that i can swing a 17-4 wide prop now with a good amount of clearance(just gatta wait a week to order em or just get a few on the internet), i hope i get a better pull out, this is a plane that is a little under 9 lbs, cmon.......It should pull out just fine, i hope, i guess ill turn up the rpms and take off my endpoint adjustment on the throttle to allow it to get up to 10600 rmp's, that should definitly help!

flynbrian-
I fly out at the south field(Hill country aeromodlers). Mostly on Sundays, sometimes on Fridays. I'll be out there this sunday all day bs'n and having a blast. Last friday i got a few good mistake high hovers in but not that much, still working on this weight issue as you see. All the trainers are out on sat. so you dont have to worry about them(on sundays).
Old 11-05-2004, 10:37 PM
aerobatic 3D

I just ordered the Funtana 90 landing gear from Graph Tech, thanks for the heads up. They are selling a 7-1/4" height gear for the Funtana 90S now which only Fiberlite sold before that you can't get now. I should be able to get a 18x4W on my Saito 180 now with no problems. The 16X4W did OK but I could hear grass just touching the tip on the blades down the runway.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:11 PM
budrodis

I want to put the webra 120 two stroke on it ? will it work ? I prefer twostroke will I have enouh power or do I need the moki 135 any input is welcome
Old 11-07-2004, 01:35 PM
3de

ORIGINAL: ********rocks

You put a saito 1.80 on your Funtana 90 ?

How did it run ?

Was it nose heavy ?
I have a Saito 1.80 in mine. It did not come out nose heavy, no lead on it. Balanced perfectly.
I tried to fly it yesterday, but it was to muddy...
And yes, I will be using much throttle management! I have a Saito 100 in my FT .40 and it flys awesome!! Pulls out of hover like a rocket!
Side note, I fly at 5200' ASL thats why I put the 1.80 in the FT .90.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:52 PM
3de

Hey you guys with the Graph Tech gear, any chance of posting a pic to show how tall they are, like maybe a profile side view pic?
How much taller are they than the stock gear?
Thanks.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:46 PM
aerobatic 3D

The word I got from Graph Tech was that the new Funtana 90 landing gear #128 Hangar 9 Funtana .90

Fuse base 5-5/8" / Axle hole to top of gear 7-1/4" / legs side to side 17-3/4" / top of gear side profile 1.5" / bottom of gear at wheel side profile 1" / 5oz.

I haven't recieved my gear yet but when I get it mounted I'll get pictures. Hope this helps?
Old 11-08-2004, 10:07 AM
jay r

Glad to see others are using the saito 180. It is truly an awesome combo. Most thought I was crazy to pull my 100 off and drop in the 180. They don't say much now that they have seen the improved performance. Anyways, I am using a zinger 18x5 , some say use an 18x6 pro zinger. I bent my stock gear down a little and haven't had any trouble yet on short grass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.