Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

3D AIRPLANES DO YOU seal ALL hinge gaps ? PLEASE HELP

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

3D AIRPLANES DO YOU seal ALL hinge gaps ? PLEASE HELP

Old 01-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Max1
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D AIRPLANES DO YOU seal ALL hinge gaps ? PLEASE HELP

on 3d planes do you seal ALL hinge gaps on both sides with clear covering? please help[]
Old 01-05-2005, 11:17 AM
C140 Brothers

Default RE: 3D AIRPLANES DO YOU ?

I use tape but only on one side.

Adam
Old 01-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Max1

Default RE: 3D AIRPLANES DO YOU seal ALL hinge gaps ? PLEASE HELP

all you guys looking at this? don't you seal your hinge gaps? i am asking for your help because i don't know the answer.[]
Old 01-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Max1

come on guys 44 people looked at this post and only one person was kind enough to answer a please help question on a 3d fourm? something is not right. i know it might be a dumb question to most of you but there are some of us that are trying to learn and could really use your help. [&o]
Old 01-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Sprink

Most people are just looking to see if it is anything interesting. As it isnt, they are not bothering to reply. Why are you asking anyway?

And yes, as a rule I seal all gaps if possible.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:04 PM
BlenderBender

Are talking about your Funtana Max.... for me it depends on the gap left by the hinges and what speed I think I will be flying at... one I never use CA hinges and with my Funtana I just don't fly it fast .....my edge on the other hand they are sealed cause I fly it a lot faster. I guess it depends on the pilot and the flying style. Heck some people don't seal anything... of course those are the ones you hear about losing fast planes to flutter!

my 2 cents

John
Old 01-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Max1

it may not be interesting to you as you say............. but i am asking this question because i don't know the answers....... as you say it isnt interesting to you but you took the time to give me a answer that ment nothing to me and was of no help to me or anybody else here. you fly as do the rest and it would be so easy to say yes i do both or i do only one side. you don't want to help then maybe you should not answer like the rest. i thought these fourms were here so that we could help each other. if we all knew all the answers there would be no reason to be here. whats wrong with asking for help? shame[&o]
Old 01-05-2005, 04:19 PM
bentgear

I seal my gaps no matter the hinge type. Why not? I have never seen a reason not to seal them, just that some folks don't want to go to the trouble. Its just a few minutes with some clear covering, or tape if that is what you prefer.

Ed M.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:20 PM
tripp3d

I fly a seagull Harrier and do not seal the gaps. I did use high torque servos though. I've only been
flying 3d for about a year but have not had any problems with flutter, use a low pitch prop and keep speed to a minimum. Also make sure your pushrods are stout enough that they wont flex and you will be fine. Dont listen to Spring, hell just looking at his girlfriend makes me go limp
Old 01-05-2005, 04:34 PM
Crash90
My Feedback: (17)

I do not seal the hinge gaps on my .40 size planes. I do, however seal the ail and elev gaps on anything larger. Usually I will just take a piece of monokote and seal the bottom.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Sprink

ORIGINAL: Max1

it may not be interesting to you as you say............. but i am asking this question because i don't know the answers....... as you say it isnt interesting to you but you took the time to give me a answer that ment nothing to me and was of no help to me or anybody else here. you fly as do the rest and it would be so easy to say yes i do both or i do only one side. you don't want to help then maybe you should not answer like the rest. i thought these fourms were here so that we could help each other. if we all knew all the answers there would be no reason to be here. whats wrong with asking for help? shame[&o]
I am trying to help. If all you are going to do is critize people on here, which is basically all you have done other than in your first post, you will not get many answers.

I repeat my question - why do you want to know?

Are you just doing a poll to see how many do, how many dont? Or do you have a specific plane in mind and want to know if it is worth it? Or do you want to know ways of doing it? Or what?

Answer this without flaming me and I may be able to help further.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:13 PM
JAS
My Feedback: (2)

Keep the gap to a minimum and then you don't have to worry about it. I don't seal anything; it takes too long to do. And if I can't get my hinge gap close to begin with I'll quit assembling my planes.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:13 PM
Max1

Thank you guys for all your help. I want to seal the gaps on my 3d airplanes. I just didn't know if it is better to seal both sides top and bottom or just one side. and if the answer is one side do you do the top side or bottom side? I really do Appreciate all of you guys that have helped me in the post's and question's that i have asked of you. Thank you again Max1[8D]
Old 01-05-2005, 07:15 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

I have read of studies in wind tunnesl and you can get up to a 20 percent better performance if you seal the hinge even 40 size.

Unfortuanly my personmal flying wont improve 20 percent Imangine if I dint seal hell, my my planes wount fly att all :-)

Dennis
Old 01-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Max1

Dennis did they seal both sides? thank you Max1[8D]
Old 01-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Russmall

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Max, I seal both sides of my hinge gaps with a strip of same color Ultracote. I feel that by sealing both sides, it adds strength to the hinge line. Since I've been using this method ( 3-4 years) I have not had a single broken CA hinge and I have not had any problems with flutter..........RS
Old 01-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Max1

Thank you Russmall[8D]
Old 01-05-2005, 08:04 PM
FlyHard

I agree. Why wouldn't you seal them. Good improvement for a little extra work.
[quote]ORIGINAL: bentgear

I seal my gaps no matter the hinge type. Why not? I have never seen a reason not to seal them, just that some folks don't want to go to the trouble. Its just a few minutes with some clear covering, or tape if that is what you prefer.

Ed M.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Dennis Tampa FL

Sorry can't remember if study did both sides. But authur I belived did his on both sides. Why not protect both sides from oil?

Dennis
Old 01-06-2005, 12:02 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do both sides on any plane I assemble, especially a giant plane.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:31 AM
Sprink

I only do one side. You are only trying to stop air getting through the gap, so both sides does not add anything. Having said that I often use covering to make the hinge, in which case you need to do both sides to get a good stonge hinge.

I have tried using sticky tape, but I found it very tricky so I tend to use same colour film. For big lengths, such as ailerons I usually cut into smaller lengths to make it easier. I also find that folding the strip of film in half length ways makes it alot easier to apply. One of these days I'll get some clear film so matching the scheme is no longer an issue.

As for top or bottom, that depends on the scheme. If one side is all one colour, and the other changes, it is obviously easier to do the side that is all one colour. Otherwise, I do the top so it looks nicer on the ground.

Finally Jason is right, you want to get as good a hinge as possible before sealing the gap, if nothing else to get a good hinge. The sealing is a little bit extra on top of this.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:42 AM
Max1

Sprink thank you for the very nice post. i am sure with all the members post here.....they have helped a lot more flyers than just me. i know now that i am going to do both sides on all the gaps to my planes. i thank all of you again for helping me out here in answering my questions. [8D] Max1
Old 01-06-2005, 09:32 AM
rmh

As JAS noted - gap sealing is a preferrence thing -If you have gaps -seal em if you like - as for wind tunnel tests - Bull s---.
As for stopping flutter - again Bulls---.
If- the seal is tight enough to restrict free movement - yes it can help reduce flutter .
On my own stuff - almost never exept for my small foam models -somehow I can seem to avoid sealing the hinge line --
Old 01-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Dennis Tampa FL

Well if you want to throw away scientific results, lets try common sence, you try to shape airflow with a solid object VS one with a gap in it, which one do you think will catch more airfllow. Which more airflow cought = more efficent/amount deflection of air = more result.

Of course common sence doesnot always pridict science :-).

Have Fun, Dennis
Old 01-06-2005, 01:11 PM
rmh

I prefer to throw away data which is not relevant to our models .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.