Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Katana 50 ultra-RC anyone flying this ?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Katana 50 ultra-RC anyone flying this ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 09:30 AM
shauntot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Katana 50 ultra-RC anyone flying this ?

Guys that are flying the katana on .50 engines, if you go back to the ultra-rc site, the recommended size is .40-.50 engines, the author of the review posted on the link to RCU said it would be performing good 3D on a .63 or above. (bottom of the page)

If you also look at the videos, by Brian "Hollywood" DiCinti, the rolling harriers are pretty good, knifves were ok, hovers and torque rolls nice. Don't know what size engine he was running exactly though, as the intro showed ".50-.70 engine"

So what do you guys think, ultra RC recommended a wrong size (.50), instead should be using .60 above?

shaun
Old 01-09-2006, 01:25 PM
shauntot

katana guys, just wanted to share my ultrarc version..successful maiden yesterday. flies like a dream. hope she gets better after the engine sits in..

JohnVh and Tumbler, thanks for the videos..that was all it took for me to have the heart to put this plane in business

Old 02-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

I just finished the assembly on the Kantana and it seems like a well built ARF. I am waiting on a Saito .65 4str for power. Any advice on prop range to keep it aerobatic as opposed to 3D ? THanks Mikel-T
Old 02-26-2006, 12:39 PM
shauntot

hey mikel.not sure on the prop range for your 4 stroke as im using a .61 2s..anyway, try to follow what the manual of your engine recommends for sport planes and keep about 3 props longer as spares to try out for 3D. usually works best with bigger props, 3D.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:52 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mile - go to www.saito-engines.info for more info.

Just got my Katana, it is a heavy plane for the wing area and in this day and age of light 3D planes. I think they built a tank and it need not be that tough!

However, the review videos bear testament to what it can do. Looking at this plane it is not worth running a 61/75 sized 2C, the extra weight is not worth it.

I used to fly the Global Raven 40, was informed by everyone this plane is not flyable, it will tip stall and basically it will crash no matter what you do ... I flew mine and I am very happy with it, I hot dog it like a mad man in the sky and landings are not much faster than say a WM SS40. I believe its all about set up. If this plane is that bad then the flyers are totally amazing!!!
Old 02-27-2006, 11:22 AM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

I know this is an old thread but Rightflyer had a good question and no one yet has the answer. I'd like to maiden this plane in March and if someone out there has some comment please pipe-up. Am I making things worst by adding the Saito 65? Tianci, are you running a 4str for power in this plane?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:53 AM
tIANci

Mike - I will be using an ASP 52 2C, I have one lying about and it will turn a 12x6 at about 13,000 RPM so that is all I need. I will be using this for aerobatics more than 3D. However, I will definately try 3D sure. I wonder if a 13x4 will do for 3D ...
Old 02-27-2006, 11:55 AM
shauntot

mikel, depends on what type of flying u want to do. i want it fully 3d capable so i got a 61 2s on it. i wasnt able to afford a 4s at the time i bought the engine, so the 61 was the closest i could get.

if you want it just for aerobatics, maybe a .52 4s would do.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:34 AM
solafein

I have seen pros fly the Funtana and the Katana. I bought a Funtana and hated it. It would tip stall for no reason and would not complete a loop at anything but full power. I played with the control surfaces a bit, lots of expo and flew it. Ended up liking it a little on the flight where I blendered it into the ground. The funny thing is, most guys in the 3D arena recomend a Saito 100. My FA 91 was silly powerfull in that plane. It seems people are saying the same things, or close, about the Katana. The Katana is prettier, easier to tell what it's orientation is, 100% scale and cheapier. I'm sold, as I don't mind spending time tuning the controls and I have a NIB FA 100 in my tool box.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:52 PM
richohealey

i just finished my katana. 5 pounds even. don't know what the hell you guys did. maybe i got a light one. not flown yet. am expecting it to be great. let us know.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:43 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

I just ordered a Katana 50. Looking for HELP. Have not received it yet (the plane that is).
john in missouri
Old 03-31-2006, 12:15 AM
shauntot

go ahead john, just ask away, we'll try to help
Old 03-31-2006, 12:51 PM
tIANci

Rich - you got an AUW of only 5 lbs? Amazing! I see mine and its built like a tank, there is no need for so much wood in so many places. It could easily be built lighter. Now to really finish mine off.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:25 PM
jship

Two questions,

1. What size engine?

2. Did you have to add any led?

3. Were?

I think thats three questions!
john in missouri
Old 04-03-2006, 02:21 AM
nightchook

Hey guys... I had an Ultra RC Katana a little while back.... I know some of you will laugh at this but I shoe horned a Magnum 91 Four Stroke into it and it flew great, snaps were awesome, I could gain height in an inverted flat spin, basically all 3d stuff did with with authority, I did find that it didnt hover all that well as I thought the tail surfaces were a little small but it did hover. having said all that I must admit that i did kill it due to a high speed stall low to the ground.... but that was my fault purely.
before you ask I have no idea what it weighed, nor do I really care (no offence) I liked the way it flew and would fly it again just the same.. so to you guys who are thinking about flying it.... just do it

just remember... budget model = budget weight and budget performance ;-) enjoy
Old 04-03-2006, 01:08 PM
jship

"just remember... budget model = budget weight and budget performance ;-) enjoy"

Nothing like a reality check (no offence) none taken.

One last thought, is it not true, that a over weight air frame could contribute to a high speed stall ? just food for thought.

john
Old 04-03-2006, 05:58 PM
nightchook

"One last thought, is it not true, that a over weight air frame could contribute to a high speed stall ? just food for thought."

You are absolutely correct Jship..... I have no doubt it contributed to its snap and demise, however I knew the risk and took it anyway ;-)
just saying I had fun with it.... high wing loading and all, plus think of it this way.... at least you know it will snap and tumble like a champ!! ;-) treat it with respect at high speed and I'm sure you will all get much enjoyment from it, I think it is quite difficult to get a true scale type 3D model at this size...
Old 04-03-2006, 09:32 PM
tIANci

Some people just like to have fun ... I will stick with my ASP 52 2C! How about a YS110?
Old 04-03-2006, 10:45 PM
richohealey

hey guys. I built mine light, not obscenely so,. but just thought about it. used a lightened and modified 46 SF. 14 years old. batton the nose, little bit of lead, but will soon just replce with heavier motor. later guys
Old 04-04-2006, 02:37 AM
jship

Could you please explaine high speed stall? How does it differ from a slow speed stall?

I know the difference is the speed!

john in missouri
Old 04-04-2006, 10:25 PM
richohealey

during a high speed stall, the plane may be moving fast, but the angle of attack is raised to the point where the wing still stalls. since high speed generaly equals high throttle this often develops into a vicious power stall, where excessive thrust and control surface deflection stops the wing from unstalling. then you hit the ground.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:58 AM
AbuAnas

Well well well.. The videos say it all.. I am gonna get this plane!!

What OS engin/JR Servos/Props do you suggest for this plane if I want it as aerobats and for basic 3D learning? It'll be my 1st 3D plane
Old 05-02-2006, 06:57 PM
richohealey

well, i'm running an old os 46.. it's good, but it coul;d be better. upgrading to saito 82 in a couple of weeks. if it was os 2c then either 46 FX (marginal for 3d) 50 sx (good) or 61 FX (great 3d, conventional flight won't be as good... also you'd havta buil;d it very light)
Old 05-03-2006, 09:05 AM
AbuAnas

Any shop sells this kit online apart from UltraRC themselves?
Old 05-03-2006, 07:34 PM
jship

E bay
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-CMP-Ka...QQcmdZViewItem

he is honest, but oh so "S_L_O_W"
it will cost you about 85.00. This is were I got mine.

I'm thinking about puting a magnum 70 or a Tower 60 on mine? What do you think

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.