Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Katana 50 ultra-RC anyone flying this ?

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Katana 50 ultra-RC anyone flying this ?

Old 08-31-2006, 10:15 PM
ejwenger
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Katana 50 ultra-RC anyone flying this ?

Just got one of the Ultra-RC Katana 50s from a seller on eBay. Kit is new, but upon opening, the instructions are missing. I bought the model based on the RCUniverse review and videos. Review says the manual is only 7 pages, but Ultra-RC wants to charge $15.99 for a copy.

Anyone have an instruction manual they can scan/email/fax? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Eric
Old 09-01-2006, 05:04 AM
AbuAnas

ORIGINAL: ejwenger

Just got one of the Ultra-RC Katana 50s from a seller on eBay. Kit is new, but upon opening, the instructions are missing. I bought the model based on the RCUniverse review and videos. Review says the manual is only 7 pages, but Ultra-RC wants to charge $15.99 for a copy.

Anyone have an instruction manual they can scan/email/fax? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Eric
I need one as well because mine is in Japanese!!

Old 09-01-2006, 10:29 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

I see,this I want to hear about,obviously it will be insane and unflyable,heavy and fast if it actually takes off,make sure someone is filming this event very closely.It will be something to talk about
ORIGINAL: zayzay1

I now have a saito 125 that is not doing anything it weighs close (without muffler and with a pump) to the tower 61 I guess when I get tired of the plane I will strap it on to see what it can do,
Old 10-19-2006, 10:17 PM
latitude777

Im running a YS .63 just as the review recomends, less weight in a 4s, good usable power and like all the other guys whining about weight it cuts the weight down slightly. Im aiming for loads of 3D flying. Havnet had it up yet but its come together fine so far, looks great, doesnt feel heavy, should be a blast, will be in touch!
Old 10-19-2006, 11:20 PM
dcpropilot
My Feedback: (6)

I've been flying this plane since July with a YS 63S and standard S3003 futaba servos. Love it. Keep elevator control movements low until you can fine tune the CG. I have a 4 cell battery pack underneath the throttle servo which I might move rearward. I had a Master Airscrew 14x4. Replaced with an APC 13x4W 3D with an increase in vertical performance. Please let me know if you have sucess moving the battery pack rearward..The nose wanted to drop when hovering, so I estimate that the weight needs to be shifted back to make it work.

I also saved some weight and used a couple 40 lb zip ties...Seems to do the trick and saves a bunch of time at the field, but makes the plane a little harder to transport.

Overall, Nice plane...Good luck!
Old 09-17-2007, 07:33 AM
MJ-MERLIN

i know this is an old thread but i have just got one of these and mine tipstalls all over the place
has anyone managed to cure this ??
Old 09-17-2007, 11:45 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

This plane will not give You a break. By this I mean, One small mistake and it's gone. it will stall fast it will stall slow. If the engine dies, shove the nose down and bring it down fast, or it will be gone.

When Mine wasa runing it was a blast to fly just one mistake

Enjoy it while it last, it probably wont last long

john in missouri
Old 09-18-2007, 05:43 AM
MJ-MERLIN

oh !!!
dont sound good !!
so theres no way of fixing it (apart from not flying it)??

if not ill balst it around the sky till i bend it then !!
or sell it to my worst eneimy [>:][>:]
Old 09-18-2007, 06:48 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that's too much of exaggeration about the plane. I flown my friend's plane many times and I find it really nice. For me I like to fly IMAC sequences with this plane as it tracks well enough. This plane is not a floater but its not a Stall King either. Yes you have to come in faster compared with something like a 4* etc but not that much faster, I would estimate another 15 mph faster at the most. I would say its like landing a 4* on high idle or down wind. Take offs need not be like a sports car, she will lift off very slightly faster than maybe something like a 4*.

If you are not comfortable then add in some 'wash out',raise the ailerons by 1/8" to tame her a bit. Get the CG slightly nose heavy too. Ease off on the elevator throws, don't give itlike 45 degrees of throw.

Everyone told me that my old Global Raven 40 was NOT flyable, it will stall on take off, landing and loops. I had no problems and I am not a super duper pilot, I am just your average rc pilot.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:46 PM
jship

In My planes SHORT life, several people tried to tame her. I do hope that Your luck is better than ours was. Life span 1/6th of a year. Twenty seven flights. Good luck My friend. I could not guess how many close calls we had in twenty seven flights. Again I hope Your luck (experience) is better than ours was. Some one has said "fly it like you stold it". Might not be a bad idea.

john
Old 09-18-2007, 09:51 PM
tIANci

John ... this is weird, actually I was flying the plane just before I posted here yesterday. My pal is bad news, he comes to the field with the Katana sans cowling. At times he forgets the cockpit and will look for cardboard to replace the cockpit! The plane has had many many flights without the crankiness that you described. He only stalled the plane on landing a couple of times, that was pretty low and it was obvious he was pushing his luck by going that slow. To each their own I guess ...
Old 09-18-2007, 10:49 PM
jship

I wonder, with all due resepct if we are talking about the same plane? The Katana 50 ARF. Wing span 1350mm, weight 2750g, airfoil Naca-0014. I just got this off the old box. I can't find the manual right now.

john
Old 09-18-2007, 11:02 PM
tIANci

I believe its the same ... look at here:

http://www.ultra-rc.com/products/katana50/index.htm

This is actually manufacturer by CM Pro ...
Old 09-18-2007, 11:12 PM
jship

that is the plane?

john
Old 09-19-2007, 03:37 AM
MJ-MERLIN

that will be my one too !!
mines actualy the CMpro one !
ive recently sealed all the hinge gaps with tape and it has seemed to help a little a tiny bit !
Old 09-19-2007, 03:53 AM
tIANci

john - I have shown you mine, now you have to show me yours, hahahahaa ... yes that is the plane Ultra RC sells, the 50 sized Katana ... I am sure this is the plane the thread title was referring to. I hope I am not getting senile!!!
Old 09-19-2007, 01:07 PM
jship

ORIGINAL: tIANci

john - I have shown you mine, now you have to show me yours, hahahahaa ... yes that is the plane Ultra RC sells, the 50 sized Katana ... I am sure this is the plane the thread title was referring to. I hope I am not getting senile!!!
Sorry I can't. This is all I have left of mine!

john
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64219.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	766100