Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Twist 3D Vs. Model Tech Magic

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Hangar 9 Twist 3D Vs. Model Tech Magic

Old 02-21-2005, 03:55 PM
picaro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Twist 3D Vs. Model Tech Magic

Hello All:

I'm trying to get into 3D flying, however I don't know much about it. I'm still looking for the right plane as I want one that is relatively easy to fly and that doesn't cost much. After I narrowed my search, I came up with 2 airplanes: Hangar 9 Twist 3D and Model Tech Magic.
Can anyone give me an advice on which one of these two airplanes I should get?? Which one is better and easier to handle?? Which one can do more 3D maneuvers??

Also, If you think there is a better airplane for this purpose, please let me know as well.

Thanks a lot for your help

regards

Picaro
Old 02-21-2005, 05:32 PM
raideron
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist 3D Vs. Model Tech Magic

I do not have either planes, But did some research on both and for
me it would have been the Twist hands down!! (was going to power
with a YS-63 or Satio 70 or 82a... But was also looking at the OS-50)
Which I would have bought, But ended up getting the same members
UCD-46. The Twist Looks and flies better IMO... A fellow club member
has both, and he is of the same opinion...
Old 02-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Luke 3D returns

Picaro,

Do you mean the modeltech magic or the magic formula 3D?

If its the formula 3D i dont think you can really compare them - i have one and it looks way better and is a far more up-to date design than the twist. Take a look at the pictures.

It is completely viceless and flies very light. Its also proven to be really capable - if you can do it and have enough power it can do it too.
Heres a video of one in action http://www.rcfun.co.uk/avifiles/formula3ddean.wmv
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49024.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	232662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70265.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	232663  
Old 02-21-2005, 07:03 PM
picaro

Luke:

I meant Model Tech Magic... any feedback on this one??

As for the magic formula 3D, WOW!!! It flies awesome!!! I looked for it on the internet but I didn't find much info about it.

regards

Picaro
Old 02-21-2005, 08:33 PM
lynnpreston

I've never flown a Modeltech Magic, but I have owned a Model Tech Magic Extra (it's red, not yellow, and it's based on an Extra 300 type frame). I currently own a Twist, which I love. However, I have to say that I liked the Modeltech Magic Extra more than the Twist. The Magic Extra costs around $120 new. Great plane. No bad habits whatsoever.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:48 PM

I have had both. In my opinion the Twist is a much better plane. The Magic came out when 3D first started to get really popular with the masses. I believe the Twist is a much improved design over the Magic. A few things I like better are: The Twist has a fully symmetrical wing, while the Magic has a flat bottom wing. The Twist has a bolt on wing while the Magic uses rubber bands. Some might say rubber bands are better for beginners, but these planes are built so light, I don't believe it will make much of a difference in a crash. Plus I hate putting on rubber bands. The layout of the inside of each is tight, but the Twist is layed out a little better. The one thing I think the Magic has over the Twist is weight. I can't say for sure and maybe someone else knows exactly, but I think the Magic was about 1/2 lb lighter than the Twist. One last thing, I believe the Twist is a much better looking plane. They are both basically sticks with wings, but the Twist has at least a cockpit and a turtle deck. Oh, one more thing. I know neither of these planes is built for high speed, but the Twist seems to handle speed much better than the Magic. It might have been just my setup, but with the Magic I always had to fight the elevator with changes in speed, while my Twist will groove though the sky at any throttle setting.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:28 PM
3D-kid330

I own a Magic, K/E is hard with little side area, waterfalls are alright, hovers awesome, a bit of wing rock in harriers, but nothing you can't handle. Other than that it is a fun plane.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Luke 3D returns

ORIGINAL: picaro

As for the magic formula 3D, WOW!!! It flies awesome!!! I looked for it on the internet but I didn't find much info about it.

If i were you picaro id try to get the formula 3d - its much better than the twist. I dont know the stockists over in your country but there may be some info here - www.ytinternational.co.uk

The magic is really a fun fly model - its a different kind of model to the twist( a 3d funfly) so you cant really compare them.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:21 AM
picaro

The Formula 3d seems to be a fine airplane, however, it seems like is not available in America, at least I haven't found any information.

lynnpreston and loading
If I decide to go for the Twist, what is the best engine for it?? Do you think a OS .46 will handle it OK??

thanks

regards

Picaro
Old 02-22-2005, 11:59 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I have seen the model tech magic several times last summer at our club field and was not impressed.the hanger twist is a lot more plane..and beyond those planes I would prefer a profile they are particularly well suited for 3D flying..right now OMP is hot.accel makes a couple that are great.I planrt to pick one up at the wram show.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:43 PM

The 46 wouldn't get you much pull out power. It would fly fine, but I wouldn't try to hover it very close to the ground. Another consideration is the CG. I have a Satio 82 on mine and it still balanced tail heavy. Which is fine for 3D, but if you are not used to landing tail first, it can get a little hairy. If you put a little weight in the nose and didn't plan on hovering right away, the OS 46 will be OK. Is your OS the 46LA? or the 46AX? The AX would be a better cause it weighs more and outputs a little more.

I should caveat this and tell you that I am still learning 3D stuff. Its really nice to have a ton of power on tap to get out of trouble. If you are good at 3D you could probably do anything with the 46 that I am capable of with my 82
Old 02-22-2005, 01:47 PM
lynnpreston

picaro,

I'm running a Magnum .91 4-stroke on mine with great success. No, it's not too much motor. Believe me. I ran a Evo .46 on it for 1 flight. A .46 didn't cut it, in my opinion. If you want to go the cheap route, I suggest a Super Tigre G90. For $120, you'll have a well balanced, well powered plane with plenty of power to get yourself out of a mess.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:35 AM
cmircman
My Feedback: (10)

I have a twist with a TT .46 on it. It hovers just fine just make sure you use a 12.25 x 3.75 prop. Mine will hover at 1/3 throttle on 10% nitro.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:22 AM
lynnpreston

cmircman,

That's strange . . . have you taken serious measure to lighten your Twist? I just don't see how a TT .46 on 10% nitro will hover at 1/3 thorttle. We're not talking a harrier here? We're talking about a sustained solid hover/torque roll with about 1/3 throttle? That's great if yours will do that. It's just very different from what other people are saying and what I saw with a .46 on my Twist. I'm at sea level also, so I have air that as dense as anywhere.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:45 AM
Basement Troll
My Feedback: (3)

Picaro, If you are just beginning in 3D why don't you try one of the profiles? There is the Accell Katana 40, or OMP has both an edge and a Yak profile in the 40 size. You can fly those with a strong 46 2 stroke or if you want a 72 4 stoke or if you want a really strong performer use aYS 63 or Saito 82. The profiles have such light wing loading they are amazing!
Don
Old 02-23-2005, 10:21 AM
gdm

Picaro the magic is a way better plane to learn 3d on
Ihad both and to be honest did not like the twist
The twist is a good fun fly plane but in my opinion not a good plane to learn 3d on
The magic is nice and lite and will hover up a storm even with a motor like an OS LA
Old 02-23-2005, 11:51 AM
picaro

I am definitely looking for a plane that is easy to learn 3D on, and both the Twist and the Magic seem to be OK (I don't like the profiles, I don't know why, but I don't like them), however, I've been searching for videos to give me an idea of how these two planes fly, I found some good ones where you can see the Twist doing pretty much everything, but when it comes the Magic, I've only seen it hovering. But what about other stuff like harrier, wall, waterfall, blender, etc?? Can the magic do all this? with an OS 46 AX??

thanks

regards

Picaro
Old 02-23-2005, 12:01 PM
slyms

I feel it's a little unfair to compare the Twist with the Magic fun-fly. The Magic was designed with Fun-Fly competition in mind, the flat bottom section intended to help in the time and glide section. The Magic Extra or as Luke suggested the Formula would be a far better model for all out 3D. Saying this, if all you intend to do is practice prop hanging and torque rolling then the original Magic is excellent.

Fat constant chord wings aren't as good for maneuvers that require rapid flicking, knife edge flicks etc. IMHO if all out 3D performance is your aim then look for something with a more conventional wing like the Rush or Adrenaline.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:21 PM
johnyh

Try the Kyosho Flip which is designed to teach 3D and progress from there
Old 02-24-2005, 10:18 PM
capflyr

i have both, the magic is more of a fun fly then 3d. the twist is more of a 3d plane then the magic.
but i would not think of powering it with any thing less then a 50 2 stroke. i have a os 60 fp with a 12-6 apc prop.
i also have just standerd 3004 futaba servos and a 750 mah. nimih pack to keep it light. even with the 60 i had to
place the batt. and rec. right up to the tank. i have seen a twist at the field with a os 46 max it flew well but had
a tone of lead in the nose for proper CG. and it would not get you out of a hover very well. for 100.00 bucks you
cant beat it. if money is not a problem the flip 3d or u can do, funtana 40 would be your best choice. if you are
wanting a 3d bird in the 46 size range 1 word 'profile' . try OMP or accel you cant go wrong. i hope this helps
good luck.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:27 PM
SukhoiKid
My Feedback: (15)

The Model Tech Magic 32. is the plane to get if you want to hover and do some 3d. Just throw a Thunder Tiger 46 Pro on there and it will be a great airplane.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:09 PM
Breakstuff5050

I own a twist. Although I only have an OS .46 AX on it w\ a 12.25 x 3.75 prop, but it still has plenty of power to TR it, but it is still lacking power bc when this plane is a couple inches from a tail tap and you get out of wack, you can kiss it good bye bc it dont have the power. So if you are looking for a 3D plane, get the twist w\ a 60 size engine and you're ready to go. But I have never flew a magic so I cant compare them, all I got to say is the Twist is great!
Old 02-25-2005, 10:20 AM
picaro

Hi

The Twist powered with a 91 four stroke seems like a good idea (as Lynn sugested). What prop would you recommend for the OS 91??

best regards

Picaro
Old 02-25-2005, 10:27 AM
lynnpreston

I'm running a 15x4 W on my Magnum .91 4-stroke and 15% fuel. I tried 30% fuel for a while, but I had pre-detonation problems. Of course, 30% is not recommended for Mags, but I had to try it

I've heard bad things about the carbs on the O.S. 91's. I'm not sure if they have fixed that yet or not. For the money, I love my Mag.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:32 PM
Breakstuff5050

Make sure you seal ALL your hinges before you put a 90 on it. And throttle back on downlines and level flight, other then that, a 90 is perfect. You prolly TR at half throttle w\ a 90! But I dont think there would be a need for anything bigger.

Adam

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.