Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

What do we call it? 3D, FF, SA,AA,TOC? What?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

What do we call it? 3D, FF, SA,AA,TOC? What?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 01:17 AM
YNOT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do we call it? 3D, FF, SA,AA,TOC? What?

This all started while telling my dad about a airplane at Christmas Dinner.

Should there be some sort of designation of the different variations of airplanes and the aerobatics they fly?

I was talking to dad about the Madness and the Laser 3D. And he knows what a fun fly is and a pattern plane and a scale aerobatic plane. Im telling him its a fun fly wing, with a build up fuse with a longer moment like a pattern plane, with large control surfaces like a TOC bird and he never heard of artistic untill I mentioned it.

So, what are those called? 3D Planes? Artisic? Freestyle?

Fun Flys: Profiles or boom fuse-Fazer, Morris, Wasp
Scale Aerobatics/IMAC: Extra, Edge, Cap
Pattern/FAI: Hydeout, Caprice, Zen Series
TOC/Masters: 35-45% SA bird with TOC Mods/3D surfaces
Artistic/IAM: Majestic, Excellence
3D: Madness, Doghouse, Prozak (no contest here. may need to fix that :-)

So where does freestlye fall. Is freestlye and event? Flown with ???? what planes? SA or TOC. Free's are only flown as side event to IMAC/TOC/Master contest? Which brings up, why is that?? We can have Freestlye events/ AA events. In the free's they fly alot of 3D but also some pattern. Is 3D a stlye or a type of manuver?

Since I did not know the ansewer, I called a few freinds and we could come up with anything.

The Internet is a wonderful tool. Let us come up with a name for these types of planes. Madness, Laser 3D, Seduction, Prosak, something Extra and all other similar designed aircaft. Built up fuse, longer moment, etc. I know the SE dosen't have a longer moment, don't bite my head off, LOL :-)

I came up with 3D planes. Thats what they do, 3D and do it well. Or a form of Artistic plane. The few I have flown and owning a Madness, they do fly differently than a FF or SA, closer to a TOC/Pattern with the size and power to weight of 40-70 fun fly planes.

What do you think? Your suggestions are more than welcome.

3D? If not what. Rap, punk, dance, boy bands, etc, all came from rock and roll and rock and roll came from blues, etc. Same thing with the way we are now able to fly aircraft and the types of planes we have.

Thanks, lets make history RC Universe.

Tony D
Old 12-26-2001, 05:35 PM
3DRC
My Feedback: (3)

Default 3D

Hmmm?

I would say that the fun fly would catagorize the new Madnees type planes. Scale aerobatics being IMAC and sport planes being a general catagory.

3D is an "attitude" 3D flight is the ability to control a plane in the air when it is not flying. The definition of flight being that lift is being created by the wing. When yu are in true 3D the wing is creating no lift. It is just diflecting air.

Bean
Old 12-28-2001, 03:41 AM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default Flying?

So tell me please. If I pull my plane up into a vertical and go straight up for 400 feet, is my plane flying? I always thought it was. But, there sure isn't any lift from the wing.
Old 12-28-2001, 09:30 AM
JBH
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default What do we call it? 3D, FF, SA,AA,TOC? What?

Hi Guys!

Touche, Diablo... you're correct. Personally, I have been referring to 3D flight as flying a stalled aircraft with control.

Okay, Bean... you're on the spot, now. :-)

BTW, I vote for any plane that has a funfly wing being called a funfly plane. ;-)
Old 12-28-2001, 01:28 PM
3DRC
My Feedback: (3)

Default Rocket

You actually are not creating lift, you are creating altitude <VBG>. If you turn it around once you get up there and point it straight down you are creating rubble.
Old 12-30-2001, 01:08 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lift--long post

Anytime air is moving across an airfoil it is creating lift......The reason on a vertical line the lift does not make the plane flop onto its back is the fact it has a horizontal stab that also creates lift and acts to direct the pitch of the plane...If a plane is trimmed properly the lift being created doesn't result in a pitch change....

Lift is defined together with velocity and angle of attack....The Stab helps the plane set its angle of attack so that the lift produced balances out.

The big question is the lift being produced enough to overcome the effects of gravity.....If the plane is lying along and the lift created is not enough to overcome Sir Newton then the plane is stalled.....This can happen at any speed and attitude....A snap roll for example is a stalled maneuver.

All parts of the plane can create lift and forces.....The fuse the cowling...the landing gear.

Its how these forces react together that makes the plane fly level straight up or down..or even in Knife edge......

When doing 3D stuff the force that is overcoming gravity is in most cases thrust. The control Surfaces direct and create lift is different directions to maneuver the plane.....

Ailerons--The up side aileron will "decrease" the angle of attack on that wing decreasing lift on that wing half...and the down side aileron creates more AOA and more lift on the wing half...with both of these together the plane rolls.

Same with rudder the fuse will act as a airfoil and and the lift produced by a rudder will move the tail in the opposite direction of the rudder....Creating a Yaw or movement of the nose in the direction of the applied rudder.

These surfaces work very well when air is moving over them but when the amount of air or the speed of the air decreases in the stalled condition or near a stalled condition the amount of throw or surface size needs to increase to be effective....

In a Harrier for example the plane is not totally stalled the Air from the prop moving past the fuse allows the fuse to create lift and the stab and rudder are not stalled as this column of air moving past them is allowing them to work as well. The wing may be stalled but the plane doesn't just require a wing to overcome the gravity and fly around......The plane has to be flying because the pilot has control and "drives it around" Stalled would not allow this. Stalled is the point where you can no longer control the direction and gravity takes over.......

Some food for thought and I know its off topic a little but.....

The Artistic Aerobatics is a load of fun...and I think will continue to challenge pilots for a long time. 3d or non-conventional flying type maneuvers are only a portion of this realm of flying.....It gets the most attention because its tough and seems to defy the laws of Mr. Bernoulli and Mr. Newton.

Cheers

Troy Newman
Team JR