Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Fuel Tank on Funtana 40

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Fuel Tank on Funtana 40

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 09:27 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Fuel Tank on Funtana 40

I'm almost finished with my funtana with one little problem.

It seems if I push the fuel tank all the way forward to the firewall it still sticks out about a 1/4" past the first former in the fuse, the one where the wing dowels plug in. This makes it so that I can't put the wing on because the tank is in the way. It looks like I will have to make the hole in the firewall big enough so that the fuel tank cap can fit into/through the firewall? Is this what everyone else had to do? Or do I have an irregular sized tank or plane? I don't see this mentioned anywhere else.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 05-11-2005, 10:04 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Tank on Funtana 40

I've had two of these and the tank was never a problem. You do have to use the stock tank though. Nothing else out there will fit that I could find. It's ok to stick out past the front former, it just can't push on the wing when the wing is on. Take a straight edge and with the tank installed, run it along the wing saddle. I bet the straight edge does not touch the tank. So neither will the wing.

Just use a piece of balsa/ply and a piece of foam to hold in the tank like the manual shows. There should be silicone glue on the tank stopper when you insert it into the firewall. That helps it hold in place on the firewall and vibration as well. I think that's all in the manual as well. I did not need to open up that hole. The silicone will hold it in place. I glued a little balsa to the former and used foam on the bottom of the tank to keep it from falling down. They don't mention to do that but the tank will fall down if you don't. Worked great.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:26 AM
camss69

Thanks for the reply...

If I have the tank in and put the wing on the wing wont slide all the way forward to seat in the saddle. With the tank out it fits fine, I at first thought it was the piece of ply I had holding the tank in and took that off but that didn't fix the problem so next was to pull the tank out and then the wing fits in there fine.

Puzzling...
Old 05-12-2005, 09:12 AM
aerobatixkid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem. My problem was the 2-56 rod i used for the throttle was in the way and i had to reposition it and use a big Z bend up by the engine.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:13 AM
dbrford
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue you did with my Funtana, seems the hole in the firewall is not big enough for the stopper to slip through. I used a dremel and clearenced the hole just enough for the tank to fit.

Just another quick note, make sure you reinforce the landing gear block, mine ripped out 3rd flight due to a dead stick on landing.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:33 AM
aerobatixkid

50+ flights on mine without reinforcements... on grass.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:51 AM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

You land good.

I got some 50K carbon fiber tow and slow-cure epoxy, and ran a strip of reinforcement from one end of the LG plate up the lower inside corner of the fuselage, around the perimeter of the firewall, then back down the other corner of the fuselage to the other end of the LG plate. Now it's bulletproof.

Re the tank: I hate it, but it works. It does need to protrude through the firewall. If for some reason your wing won't fit on at all, there seems to be enough room between those dowels to relieve it ... you would of course need to reinforce the parts that are left.

Watch out for tip-stalls on that beast. Otherwise it's a very nice flyer.

Duane Gall
RCPRO
Old 05-12-2005, 11:54 AM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: dbrford

Just another quick note, make sure you reinforce the landing gear block, mine ripped out 3rd flight due to a dead stick on landing.
This is good advice. I really push the limit with this plane, and it only happened to me one time, but busting out the gear block does not take a very hard landing. Reinforcing it is very easy and takes little to no weight. Just a piece of ply and thick CA is what I used and it has taken many hard landings. It bends the gear a little now and then but that's it. I just laid a thin piece of ply down on the floor, butted it up to the existing gear block and glued it in.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:55 AM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: dbrford

This is good advice. I really push the limit with this plane, and it only happened to me one time, but busting out the gear block does not take a very hard landing. Reinforcing it is very easy and takes little to no weight. Just a piece of ply and thick CA is what I used and it has taken many hard landings. It bends the gear a little now and then but that's it. I just laid a thin piece of ply down on the floor, butted it up to the existing gear block and glued it in.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:06 PM
cattop1000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they fly great. no problems with mine except on my 50 - 60 flight i pulled of a blender and heard a crack. the left stab actually snapped in two. was able to land the plane and then used carbon fiber rod to support the vertical and horzontal stabs. all work well since then. good luck with your flying....

terry
Old 05-12-2005, 03:31 PM
JoeAirPort

By the way I'd get a new Sullivan fuel stopper for that tank. The stock ones are hard and tend to leak. The Sullivan has never leaked for many many flights.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:30 AM
camss69

I ended up making the hole in the firewall bigger and now everything fits fine.

Thanks for the replys and tips!

Maybe orignally they sized the hole for a different sized tank or something.