Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Pacific Aeromodel Katana 1.40

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Pacific Aeromodel Katana 1.40

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 05:59 PM
STEVESRCWORLD
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pacific Aeromodel Katana 1.40

This plane is built very light it wont take much abuse.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:18 AM
LookNatU2
My Feedback: (11)

You mean you can't do a forward tumble like this plane with it??? HEHE

http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....ype=&category=

This is one of my favorites flying videos.
I fly my Profile Katana in the prior posted pic like this, well try too. Right around 200 flights on the Katana Profile this year of hard 3d and lots of re-enforced patch work.. lol (cheap built airfame but way FUN)
I'm surprized i havent crashed it, but that's the way it goes sometimes i guess. I finally retired the airfame and strictly staying with gas burning engine now.

I HATE Glow GOO!!! uggg.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:53 AM
boosted180
My Feedback: (8)

i flew almost the entire tank of gas for the first time today! engine still running very rich especially on the low end i think. transitions very very rough. doesnt want to idle low. on low throttle it feels like it just wants to quit.

this plane tracks very well, like a pattern plane. b/c of the light weight and huge wing area, it just floats! i moved the cg back a bit and it knife edges much better now. my lateral balance is off by quite a bit. i'll need to add some weight to the right wing for balance.

i was still worried about the engine quitting in the air so i havnt hovered it yet. but at a little over 1/2 throttle it has unlimited vertical. by the time it breaks in, i know this engine will pull this plane like a rocket.

the only main complaint i have is that it was built very strong. i needed to reinforce a lot of areas, and even still i'm a little hesitant to really ring it out. in fact on my dead stick landing, i ran out of runway and landed in the grass. it was not a hard landing at all but enough to break off the landing gear. it tore the entire block where the gear is mounted on completely off the fuse. the only thing that holds this block onto the rest of the fuse is on layer of thin plywood.

if you want to 3d this plane, you'd definitely need to do some major reinforcing (and consequently adding a bit more weight). but with the huge wing, it still should fly very light.

next time out, hopefully i'll have the engine tuned better and maybe start to have a little fun!

here are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64332.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	568629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60888.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	568630  
Old 11-29-2006, 01:55 AM
boosted180

i meant it was NOT built very strong.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:07 AM
LookNatU2

Right, I got what ya meant. I had a H9 Extra 260 and it was a light plane too and the landing gear was reinforced before it was ever flown. Had to do the same thing to several planes. It's a weak area in lots of planes.
Are you tuning your engine with a RPM gage?
I set my high end to max RPM at WOT (wide open throttle) then richen it up to lower the rpm by 200rpm.
Then adjusted the low end to transition to mid/high range. This is what worked for me and im sure others will have a different way. Once doing the high end as mentioned above I set the throttle at 1/2 and engine running i adjusted the low screw in small increments untill it transitioned perfect. U'll hear it perk right up. Simple, no more mid range issue's.
BTW, BE CAREFULL not to get in the running props path...LOL
Old 11-29-2006, 10:24 PM
boosted180

scott (from brillelli) gave me some suggestions for tuning as well. i'll try again on friday. the weird thing is that on the ground it seems to behave much better (transitions smooth, no burbling, decent idle). it's just in the air that it seems way out of tune. and yes, i am running the static pressure line to the inside of the fuse.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:42 PM
LookNatU2

Can always try it w/o the static line as well.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:47 PM
boosted180

with a little more tweaking, the engine ran much better today. it actually was too lean, not rich as i thought. the transition is a lot better now, but i think i still need to richen up the high end. on long uplines, it feels like it just loses power towards the top. also the other day i tached it at 6900rpm but today it was only running 6200. i'm new to gas engines, so just slowly learning how to tune them.

as far as the plane, i've still got some trimming to do. feels like my cg is too far forward, way too much engine downthrust, and left wingtip still a bit heavier than right.

the only complaint i have is that when i push rudder doing a hammerhead, it does not "pivot" very well at all. even with full rudder, it still looks like a big vertical "u-turn", isntead of a hammerhead turn. it also wants to roll hard OPPOSITE rudder. really weird....

hopefullycorrecting my cg and thrust will help with these problems.

how's everyone else's planes flying?
Old 12-01-2006, 11:04 PM
TOFAST4U2C
My Feedback: (2)

I wanted to try a brillelli 46cc gasser up front on this bird. Any input on if that would be to much for the airframe? I was hoping the Katana wouldnt become a flying brick if there was a flame out. Any info on slow flight, bad habits, tip stalling... Thanks Jack
Old 12-05-2006, 08:05 PM
boosted180

yesterday the plane flew great! i got my cg and thrust issues fixed and it tracks very very nicely now. point rolls on uplines are right on. hovers rock solid. it's actually easier to hover this plane than anything i've flown, even foamies!

but the day ended badly when the engine quit on me during a low hover. i should have been smarter than to hover a brand new engine before breaking in, esp. when i was already having issues with it. but i was having so much fun, i could resist!

anyway, the engine just isnt happy at less than 1/4 throttle. on the ground it seems to run fine but in the air it just wants to quit at low throttle. i'll try to fiddle with the needles some more and maybe take off the velocity stack, and hopefully it'll run better.

but this is a very nice plane with a super super light wing loading! the only complaint i have is that it doesnt do tumbling manuvers (like waterfalls) very well b/c of the too long tail moment. snaps and spin type manuvers are also not that great. you can do them but they dont look as good as done on other planes. the fuse side area (vertically) is also too short. if they re-designed it to fix thes issues, this would be one awesome plane! i dont think there's any other gas planes out there with a lighter wing area. i have a carbon fiber wing tube on order and lighter muffer to be put on the plane at the end of the week. it should come out at about 13.25 lbs! 1320 wing area.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:07 AM
edge_540

hello,

are there some video's??? anyone?? and what would you think of the mvvs 160( 26cc+walbro carburateur+reso methanol)

greetz
Old 04-11-2007, 09:27 AM
ddotson
My Feedback: (3)

Hi, thinking about this plane for a ZDZ 40, thoughts??? I don't fly all out 3d and like a plane that lands slow and predictable. I have not heard anyone comment on the quality of the hardware???
Thanks
Old 04-11-2007, 11:43 AM
LookNatU2

if u dont fly 3D i think a SPE40cc would do great. ZDZ good too, just cost more.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:45 AM
ddotson
My Feedback: (3)

I just happened to get a factory overhauled ZDZ 40 in trade. I have a Funtana 40 and 90. and would like to get a GOOD QUALITY katana for this engine. Just seems all I have seen are crappy color schemes, bad hardware or something. Looking for advice.
Thanks, Don
Old 04-12-2007, 09:34 AM
LookNatU2

good deal then, that ZDZ 40 will "haul the mail" in this Katana with really reeeaaaallllly light loading.. will be a BLAST for sure.. go for it!!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 03:05 PM
erec11

Hello i´m not sure if this forum is still working but i hope someone get back to me on this question: I buy this plane in the ebay because i belive thet this could be breat to my 26cc gas engine one of those chinese copy of the DA but i see that all of you fly fly with a 40cc or 50cc engine so i would like to know if this 26cc engine could put this bird on air because i don´+t do any 3D stuff just normal fly and some simple acro. Can please anyone help me on this?
Old 05-15-2008, 07:58 AM
erec11

IS THERE ANYONE INTERESTED IN BUY THIS SET FOR THE KATANA BECAUSE THE WINGS GET LOST DURING THE TRANSPORTATION SO I HAVE ONLY GET THIS !!! [email protected]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49525.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	949785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97805.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	949786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96875.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	949787  
Old 10-15-2009, 03:38 PM
mga

I know you had this plane, the Katana by Pacific but I just got one and putting a FPE 40cc which is as strong as some 50cc. What I would like to know where did you have the CG, at the tube location, the front of the tube or right in the middle
Thanks
Old 05-19-2010, 07:16 AM
mga

Yesterday was my first try at flying the Pacific Katana. I have a FPE 40cc in it. First flight, four clics of up elevator, and two clics of right ailoron. That was it. The plane flew on a rail. It is a floater when coming in for a landing. The landings are very soft and smooth. Love the Plane. I did a few IMAC manouvers and it was the best ever. That long tail moment sure helps it. I have two other planes, the Wild Hare Edge 540 T with a FPE 50cc which is 6 years old and the Wild Hare Cap 232 with the FPE 70cc which is also 2 years old going into it's third year, as far as I am concerned this plane flies as well or better than the two bigger planes I have.
here are the pics from yesterday. A friend took the flying pics with my camera, and was not used to it, so a few blury ones.
http://picasaweb.google.ca/bforest6/...htOfTheKatana#
Old 06-30-2014, 09:34 AM
825b
My Feedback: (5)

Does anyone know were I can get wings for the Katana Pacific the wing span is 75 inches the color are blue, white and red.