Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great planes ultimate 160

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great planes ultimate 160

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 08:17 AM
Phantom pty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

Could you please send some pictures Lafus Maximus. thks
Old 08-02-2006, 07:39 PM
rmflyfish
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Folks:

I'm about to glue in the vertical stab on my Ulti. I found it sits very straight, but it is a little loose in the slot. Looks like it might be as much as a 1/16 loose overall. It's certainly not the tight fit I've usually seen when installing stab's

Did anybody else experience this.
Do you think I should shim it up with some thin balse.
Did you guys use epoxy or CA to glue the vertical (and horizontal) stabs in.

Thanks for the help, this is my first large scale build, and you guys have so much more experience then me. I really appreciate your input

Regards:

BP
Old 08-03-2006, 04:21 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: ULTIMATE LVR

I just got my Ultimate finished. I went with an AXI 5330-18 and a CC 85HV speed control. Im turning a 20x10 e-prop on 10 cell. I flew this motor on my Jerry's Big Boy at 11.5 lbs and it was awesome. I cant wait to maiden the Ultimate this weekend. I have done more than 2 dozen e conversions this year and love them all. If anyone has any questions feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]. Hope the pics come through.[img][/img]
What's the AUW and how many watts are you puttin' out? You need 200 watts/pound for all-out foamy vertical. I would say minimum would be 175 watts/pound.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:22 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: rmflyfish

Hey Folks:

I'm about to glue in the vertical stab on my Ulti. I found it sits very straight, but it is a little loose in the slot. Looks like it might be as much as a 1/16 loose overall. It's certainly not the tight fit I've usually seen when installing stab's

Did anybody else experience this.
Do you think I should shim it up with some thin balse.
Did you guys use epoxy or CA to glue the vertical (and horizontal) stabs in.

Thanks for the help, this is my first large scale build, and you guys have so much more experience then me. I really appreciate your input

Regards:

BP
Yep, same thing here. I considered it a minor blemish and just went with it. I just mixed in some extra milled F/G into the epoxy as a sort of filler. Worked fine. Just make sure it stays straight while curing.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:40 PM
rmflyfish

Thanks Bodywerks:

Your absolutly right, not a big problem at all. rudder sits very straight and 90 degrees to the horizontal stab so...

I thought I'd go w/ epoxy and micro balloons

Thanks for the confirmation.

BP
Old 08-03-2006, 09:11 PM
fishdeth
My Feedback: (2)

Hey guys,
I solved my servo reversing dilema on the elevator servos.
I picked up a new Futaba 9CAP Synthisized Tx !!!
I have the "Ailevator" settings all figured out and all the other basic stuff, but how / where should I hook up the choke servo ?

Thanks,
Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88206.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	501390  
Old 08-03-2006, 10:20 PM
BoneDoc
My Feedback: (1)

9th channel. But that's an off-on only function.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:47 AM
rmflyfish

Jim,

I think you can use any available reciever slot and assign that slot to just about any switch or knob on the radio. You might try putting the choke on one of the side mounted knobs, or use one of the knobs in the middle of the radio.

The Futaba web site has a very good FAQ at http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-9c.html

BP
Old 08-04-2006, 05:22 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

If you are not using a kill... channel 5 is a good selection... and assign it to a switch for either full on or full off...

Here's a typical setup for most of my gassers:

1) Right Aileron
2) Right Elevator
3) Throttle
4) Rudder
5) Smartfly Optical Kill (or in your case choke servo)
6) Left Aileron
7) Left Elevator
8) Power

Enable Flaperons in the mix menu to enable the dual aileron servos
Use a p-mix (#6 or #7) to mix and match the elevators
Go into the Aux Channel Switch assignment and set all AUX channels 5-8 to Null (This makes sure you don't have a surface accidentally set by the dials/slides/switches. If you use channel 5 for the choke, then assign it to whatever switch/dial you want... just make sure it's not an easy thing to hit by accident.

If you really wanted to get fancy... you could use a 9 channel PCM and set the choke on channel 9... then instead of placing the aileron servos (each side) on a "wye"... you could setup

1) Right Upper Aileron
5) Right Lower Aileron
6) Left Upper Aileron
8) Left Lower Aileron

Then mix 5 to 1 and 7 to 6

In this case you'd have to use a "wye" on some channel to provide power to the receiver.

Options, options...
Old 08-05-2006, 09:08 PM
fishdeth

Thanks... all set up and ready to go !

Bill, did you get the DA-50 all set up on yours yet ?
Still waiting to see the "Cobra" takeoff !!!

Jim
Old 08-05-2006, 10:59 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim,

Not yet. I've been doing multiple trips back and forth to the doctors office all week long and I have been working with Dean Bird on getting all of his IMAC topics into a form for publishing so I have not really worked on it.

Today was the first day I felt good enough to even fly.

Unless I missed it, I have not seen anything on your thoughts after you changed the prop, so wadda ya think with a better prop on it?

I actually did a Cobra on the Cap this morning totally by accident AGAIN. Due to our field conditions, I was taxiing out on high rates and forgot to turn them off. Rolled into the throttle until I got to full and gave it elevator to go into a vertical climbout and the darn thing stood right in it's tail and pulled straight up. Scared the heck out of me AGAIN because I was not ready for it but you can say that the GP Cap232 1.60 does not have the typical tip stall of most other Caps in that condition because it never dropped wing. Looked cool because I reacted properly and got off the elevator quickly so all forward motion just stopped.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:17 PM
fishdeth

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

Jim,

Not yet. I've been doing multiple trips back and forth to the doctors office all week long and I have been working with Dean Bird on getting all of his IMAC topics into a form for publishing so I have not really worked on it.

Today was the first day I felt good enough to even fly.

Unless I missed it, I have not seen anything on your thoughts after you changed the prop, so wadda ya think with a better prop on it?
No..... I still haven't logged my 2nd flight yet.
Work... weather... family... and a slight trepidation with flying with the MPI reversing "Y".
Hopefully this weekend will have all the obsticles out of the way and I can get on with it.
At least I don't have the reverser to worry about anymore.

Sorry to hear you have been under the weather... hope you feel better soon !

Jim
Old 08-06-2006, 08:35 PM
bubbagates

Well fella's mine is toast [].

4th flight with the Da50 on it as JIm asking about about it got me motivated last night to get it installed. I was just up putzing around staying at one end of the field. Well here comes a fairly new pilot right down the runway, opposite of the normal landing direction and flew right into the front of mine. This was my very first mid-air in my years of flying and I never wanna have that happen again, what a helpless feeling [sm=crying.gif]. Needless to say his day was also finished and me being the safety officer and told him that he is going back on the buddy box until he can demonstrate to me that he knows how to stay out of the runway area when someone is landing.

Before you all ask, I did call landing, he acknowledged it but I guess he had a brain fart.

Anyway, All I can remember is seeing his plane coming in from my right and never had the time to pull up, not that I do not think it would have mattered. Anyway, the engine is now in a box and I will be sending it back to DA tomorrow and I just got off Towers website ordering a new one. The person felt so bad he would not take no for an answer in replacing it for me. So I told him to just replace the plane and I'll cover any engine damage, though I do not think there will be any as I was only 20 or so feet above the ground.

All serovs are toast, the reciever is toast and all three Li-ION batts a damaged, the fuse is completely destroyed, both wings are totalled.

As I mentioned I just had put the Da in this thing and if you can do it, get the DA, Mine started on the Fuji and it was OK, the Brison was an animal, but the DA just was unbeleivable. I had made a few changes like going back to the stock gear, moving the batts forward, changing the throttle and choke servo to much lighter full size servo and finally had the thing at 15lbs 4 ounces and the Da on a 22X8 PT models prop on 32:1 with the J-Tec Pitts muffler and the thing would go vertical in a blink. Don't get me wrong, the Brison did the same thing but the DA was even betterdue to the weight savings

Do to limited funds right now I expect to have the new one done late next month, possible sooner beccause of having to replace all the electronics

There are no pics, I am way too disgusted. sorry
Old 08-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Total major bummer...

I was at the filed today myself and saw how many were getting lax calling "coming out" or "coming in"... or new guys flying behind the flught line only partially in control. Well I'm the guy who will walk up to you, tell you that it can't happen anymore and what to do to prevent it... but that if it happens again... it's buddy box time.

It's nice he's offering to replace the plane... (most don't even feel they have any responsibility) but the time, the mods, the extras and to me even more important.. the downtime in flying are irreplaceable.

I wish you speedy recovery in getting an Ultimate flying.

Old 08-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Sad news, my friend!!! I can empathize, having lost a 30% Yak last winter from a turn-on.... "Helpless" is the right word, but it doesn't make it easier. You did the right thing - getting a replacement - just like you told me to do when I piled mine in.

Sounds like the DA was really working for you... briefly... that is really sad news...hope it's okay.

Sorry about the servos....always a bummer for those to get hit, too. Keep us posted, Bill.... and enjoy your other toys!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 08:55 PM
bubbagates

I appreciate it guys, I surely do. I will most definitely miss this plane. I was convinced long ago that if this one ever went down, it would get replaced. Well that is already happening so no worries there.

As far as the engine, I did look for any runout and did not see any, but it's a brand new engine and I want to have them check it over just to be sure it will continue to make me happy.

I am pretty convinced he was not being a total jerk about what happened, he though I was already down because he could not hear the plane. I can understand that, the J-tec muffloer had that engine nice a quiet. When his two stroke was at full throttle, he was louder than me at full throttle.

Anyway, I will still be popping in here now and again once I get notification of a new post, this has been an excellent thread.....
Old 08-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Lafus Maximus
My Feedback: (48)

Well, I maidened the Ultimate today, and what an awesome plane this is. Amazing balance between 3D and precision. Really stable in upright and inverted harriers, torque rolls real quick with the DA-50, especially when you let it tail slide a bit and catch it with a few bursts of power, spins like a top. Upright and inverted flat spins were really flat. I got really comfortable with the plane and started bringing my harriers and knife edges low on the first flight, until I remembered that I had about 15 oz's of gas through the motor, haha. I don't know if my scale was right, but it said it was right at 16lbs, but then other people weighed their planes on it and they said they were coming out too heavy also. No matter what it weighed, it flew super light, very agile. This is my first bipe, and I am way more impressed with it then I though I would be. It flew a lot like my 30% Aviation Models Yak, other then some roll coupling in knife edge and the fact that it is a few pounds lighter then my yak, so the vertical is just that much better. Just needed to do some minor tuning to the DA-50 because they are set so rich from the factory, and I got it spinning an NX 22-8 at around 7000, I am going to leave it this rich for a few more flights and then get it up around 7200. I had my CG just a little behind the 6 3/8" that they recommend, and it was a pretty good balance for 3D and precision. Here are a few pictures of my setup and me at the field with it.

Name:	Ig12644.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	503007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38371.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	503008   Click image for larger version

Name:	He97455.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	503009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97887.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	503010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64316.jpg
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	503011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44515.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	503012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26327.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	503013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49308.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	503014  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14885.jpg
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	503015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34883.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	503016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65197.jpg
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	503017  
Old 08-06-2006, 09:05 PM
bubbagates

Lafus Maximus

Can we add you to the "hooked on this bipe" club???

This plane has a way of doing that. I think all the performance series planes from GP and are pretty decent. though I have not seen or flown the Yak, someone else can tell us about the Yak, but I also love the Cap232 they have with a DA50

BTW, very clean setup, nice job [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 08-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Lafus Maximus

Really sorry to hear about your loss bubba, I really hope something like that doesn't happen to me, I don't know if I could have kept my cool as it seems you did. Glad to hear he is buying you a new airframe, you know it will be a mistake he only makes once...
Old 08-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Lafus Maximus

Thanks bubba. Yup, add me to the club! haha. I have seen the yak in a hobby shop, but have never seen it fly. If I remember correctly and I am not thinking of the Goldberg Yak, it had counter balanced ailerons, which I thought was a great touch. Great planes really did their homework with this new line of planes, I got 3 flights on it today and I can't wait to fly it again.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:10 AM
fishdeth

Dang Bill... now I feel responsible for your loss.
If I had kept my mouth shut, maybe you would have been lazy like me and not finished her, taking you out of that whole scenerio?
I haven't even had my 2nd flight with mine yet, but I can appreciate your loss.

Or as a very famous "Bubba" once said.... "Ah feel youwr piane"

Seriously sad,

Jim
Old 08-07-2006, 05:58 AM
Slyder

Sorry about the loss Bill,

I cant wait to fly mine again. Have to wait a week or so till I have the money for new ail servo's. I used karbonite servo's as a test to see if they would hold up to the vibration and one finally stripped. Lasted longer than I thought.

GP did an awsome job with these planes. Everyone that looks at it is very impressed with the fit and finish. The ulty is just right for 50cc's but I wish they would have made the others just a tad bigger. Like about 82" wing.

Bill, Did you say you have the cap with 50cc's? What are your thoughts on it. Or did you do a reveiw that I missed?
Old 08-07-2006, 06:42 AM
BoneDoc
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry to hear that Bill,

So how did you actually manage to loose the electronics? Did it go donw in flames?
Old 08-07-2006, 06:48 AM
bubbagates

Eric,

Yep I have the Cap. Nope, I did not do the review because Maudib beat me too it. He used the OS160 and it looks like he liked it. I do have the following setup in mine and love it but then I'm a big Cap and Ultimate fan, just look through this thread and you'll see that very quickly.

DA50
J-tec Pitts muffler (Has a great "throaty" sound to it and is nice and quiet)
PT Models 23X8 prop turning at 6900
Pete Models CF Spinner
Hitec 5945's on all flight surfaces
Hitec 5745 on the throttle
Smart-Fly ignition cutoff
Titanium control rods everywhere except on the rudder, CF rod on it
Stock control horns
Stock Landing gear
All thows are at exactly the book settings
CG is at 5 3/4 inches right where the book calls for it
All batteries and receivers are in the stock positions
Receiver is the JR2000 Synth version
Receiver battery is a Fromeco 4800 Li-Ion with the Super Reliaswitch/regulator
Ignition batt is a 2400mah Fromeco on the Super-reliaswitch

Here she is with the 22X8 PT models prop right after I changed the engine to the DA from the Fuji43. Don't get me wrong, the Fuji pulled it well at 14lbs, but the Da pulls it way better at 13.8lbs. When leaving a hover, the pullout is nothing short of spectacular and that is a term I very rarely use. Hover, using a throttle curve, is roughly at 1/8th to 1/4 throttle.

Name:	Ax72771.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	503239  
Old 08-07-2006, 06:56 AM
bubbagates

Josh,

I was gliding in a little nose low. He went through the top of the front of the fuselage right at the firewall and came out right behind the back of the bottom wing. I had the receiver and batt's on the tray right in front of the back of the bottom wing. I guess when his plane hit the batt's it shorted the servos. The reciever was in little tiny bits.

I did hook them up to a known good receiver and batt and some move only a little bit and others just sit there, in any case they all get hot pretty quickly.

Oh yea, the plane he hit me with was a kit built LT-40 turned into a tail dragger with most of the dehidral removed. His is toast as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.