Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great planes ultimate 160

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great planes ultimate 160

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 07:07 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

iflywhenican,

I did open it up all the way and there is nothing in there at all. It's hollow or the fiberglass is just plain seperated. So that being said, they are very vague on the description since in one sentence it says 3/32 steel and another sentence it's composite BUT it's fiberglass.

I'm nervous about the replacement gear. The picture shows it to look exactly like the stock gear but the description shows 1/4 aluminum. []

Please let me know what you find out when you give them a call. I just got to my office and have to play catch up for a few hours since I was off for the last 5 days. You can point them to my pics
Old 11-28-2005, 07:10 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going by photos only, Bill... it looks like replacement gear is the same. Looks airfoiled and "rounded" on the ends, too.
Let us know what GP tells you.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:14 AM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: aerobob

Going by photos only, Bill... it looks like replacement gear is the same. Looks airfoiled and "rounded" on the ends, too.
Let us know what GP tells you.
I sure will. If I find out the replacements are misleading also then I'll deal with it then. I really do like the plane and may end up sending the gear that's on it now to Graphtech and get them to make a set for me. In any case, the aluminum will really add a ton of weight to an already heavy plane[].
Old 11-28-2005, 07:15 AM
iflywhenican
My Feedback: (1)

Bubba, if the replacement gear is indeed 1/4" aluminum, I will not be one bit afraid of that as long as it is 6061 material. In fact, it will be on the side of "overkill." I had a 3/16" gear on a 33% Staudacher that weighed 24+ pounds and the gear held up very well. I will call them around 9 am and see what I can find out...will post as soon as I know something.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:19 AM
bubbagates

I'd love it if it was really 1/4" 6061 aluminum. I just would prefer not to have to add the extra weight but I will if need be. Like I mentioned a few minutes ago, I'm starting to think that I may send the damaged gear to Graphtech so they have an exact model and ask them to make me a set out of composite.

I cannot wait to here what they have to tell you. [>:]
Old 11-28-2005, 08:29 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

I'd love it if it was really 1/4" 6061 aluminum.
No offense, but... you're dreaming, right???

You might get 6061 out of TNT. But an issue replacement from The Empire? Right...

I feel for you guys. The gear on the H9 Extra has been a problem for some, but not for others. I hope I'm in the latter group. But a HOLLOW glass gear set on a 16 pound airplane? That is a bit, well... ludicrous is the word that comes to mind.

Let us hope that The Empire decides upon a more customer-friendly fix than Horizon did; which is, to sell disgruntled laminate gear owners an aluminum replacement. But its inexpensive, they say; ONLY $23!

Good luck, guys.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:56 AM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Very interesting ! Very concerned too ! Is there anything I can do to help ? Yup, I'm also a little irritated but I have been told not to offend the manufactuer by voicing my opinions. After all, I really don't know whats all transpired and why were getting less than top quality parts. [:@] I won't even think about maidening mine untill the gear problem gets resolved. ALL RIGHT ! [:@] I'll TAKE A COuple of deep breaths and calm down. There we go, much better!Bill, Bob, I appreciate your posts, and will be checking every hour for updates. Seeya, Michael
Old 11-28-2005, 09:21 AM
iflywhenican
My Feedback: (1)

I just got off the phone with GP. They are taking a look at the landing gear issue. I called their attention to the tech spec. about the gear (supposedly being) 3/32" steel. I also pointed out that the replacement gear looks to be the same as the original and he immediately recognized that.
The guy at GP told me that he would call me back as soon as possible...ASAP probably being a couple days. [:'(] but I will give them time to resolve it. I probably won't maiden mine untill this is worked out. I'm simply not going to risk an almost 2 grand plane to a problematic landing gear.

Bubba, let us know what you find out with them also.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:27 AM
bubbagates

Were you able to point them to my pics???
Old 11-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Bob Pastorello

Sounds like a productive discussion.
Scary thing is if they are "fiberglass", when summer temps hit, those will be "rubber gear".... and prop strikes on $30 props won't be widely-accepted as "okay".

This will be interesting.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:46 AM
bubbagates

I just got off the phone with Jake at Great planes. Apparently when iflywhenican called they went and got a set and he assures me they are 1/4" aluminum.

He took all of my info and is sending me a new setup. I did order the replacements yesterday from Tower and when they come I will end up with 2 sets. Oh well
Old 11-28-2005, 09:49 AM
Bob Pastorello

Bill - if both are alum, I'll take one of them from you. PM me.
Sounds like alum is the "answer", eh ??
Old 11-28-2005, 09:54 AM
bubbagates

I'll hold a set for you if they truly are aluminum.

If they are not, then you can bet I'll be back on the phone pretty quickly. I tried to kill the order from Tower but they have already "shipped" it. They say shipping by 12/2 to 12/5 so hopefully I'll have them by the end of the week since usually anything I get from Tower is a 3 day thing for me once they say it has shipped
Old 11-28-2005, 11:16 AM
ghost-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

I hope to get this plane for Xmas & am still undecided about which gas engine to use. Does the Fuji have enough power to pull out of a hover. The other motor I am thinking about is the DA50. I would like to save a few dollars but will spring for the extra money that the DA cost if necessary. p.s this will be my first gasser.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:24 AM
bubbagates

Ghost,

Get a good 50CC. Mine came in fat (actually more like pregnant) at 16lbs on the Fuji . It flies well but forget anything resembling 3D. Vertical is non-existent past 100 feet of the 43CC Fuji turning the APC 20X8. I did not try a hover but a nice slow hi aplha KE needed full power just to hold the nose up.

If you go back about 3 or 4 pages and start reading up to this point you'll see 3 flight reports. I also had my left side landing gear delaminate on the fourth flight.

This post lists my complete setup

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3592983
Old 11-28-2005, 12:20 PM
ghost-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

bubbagates, I did read about your landing gear problem, guess I'd better order a set. Thanks for the advice, I will go with the DA50. I want to do 3D with this plane & it sounds like the Fuji will not get the job done. Thanks again.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:24 PM
thevirginian

Hey, Bubbas;
Currently I am using the ridiculously priced Fuji oil, because I got it for free . After I'm done with that mixed gallon I switch to Amsoil Saber and intent to run either 1:80 or 1:100.
I am sorry to hear that GP is using us as guinea pigs. If it turns out that the fiberglass?? gear in fact is crappy I will make me a mold from the original gear and laminate a graphite replacement. Let's hear how GP or Tower reacts to this complain.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:37 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: ghost-RCU

bubbagates, I did read about your landing gear problem, guess I'd better order a set. Thanks for the advice, I will go with the DA50. I want to do 3D with this plane & it sounds like the Fuji will not get the job done. Thanks again.
Ghost. While the Fuji is getting stronger it just won't cut it. I'm trying to decide on either a Brison 3.2 or the Da-50. I already have a DA-50 turning a Mezjlik 23X8 on the WH Ultimate at 17lbs and its a blast. But I'm torn between saving a $100.00 or having the DA. Both are very close to the same weight.

I have lots of time to decide since my flying season is gonna end really soon. Usually it's done by now but we had a great 3 days over the holiday weekend with sunday being the best of the bunch.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:39 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: thevirginian

Hey, Bubbas;
Currently I am using the ridiculously priced Fuji oil, because I got it for free . After I'm done with that mixed gallon I switch to Amsoil Saber and intent to run either 1:80 or 1:100.
I am sorry to hear that GP is using us as guinea pigs. If it turns out that the fiberglass?? gear in fact is crappy I will make me a mold from the original gear and laminate a graphite replacement. Let's hear how GP or Tower reacts to this complain.
If you do decide to laminate a set, let me know...I'd much rather have strong C/F gear for the weight savings since mine is pregnant already
Old 11-28-2005, 12:45 PM
nitrous pete
My Feedback: (40)

Hey , To all the Guys who bought this plane , We hit a Winner ... I can only suggest to install a 50cc, What ever one ..... BME DA 3W Zen. Brison They will all be fine but 50 cc.
I Had to move my Batt in front , So balance is on the miney . I had a tad tail heavy , But tried to this specs. Super . Hovers , Harries all the stuff, great , Kacy from OMP was Right , what a plane
I did hear Chief has Landing gear, I will ck this , as we need something better.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:48 PM
nitrous pete
My Feedback: (40)

Hey , To all the Guys who bought this plane , We hit a Winner ... I can only suggest to install a 50cc, What ever one ..... BME DA 3W Zen. Brison They will all be fine but 50 cc.
I Had to move my Batt in front , So balance is on the miney . I had a tad tail heavy , But tried to this specs. Super . Hovers , Harries all the stuff, great , Kacy from OMP was Right , what a plane
I did hear Chief has Landing gear, I will ck this , as we need something better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37963.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	361634  
Old 11-28-2005, 12:49 PM
thevirginian

Bubbagates;
If I decide to go the extra mile, so to speak, and make me a mold I can make as many grears as I want to. I will let you know. I also intent to start a building thread about this Ulti once I get mine and that's when I either go with a Graphite or replace it with cheapaluminum gears.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:51 PM
thevirginian

Oh, BTW, Bubbagates,
I forgot to ask you: The Fuji manuals call for a 4.8Volt ignition battery. I reckon five cells (6V) would be too much, wouln't it? What are you using?
Old 11-28-2005, 01:22 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: thevirginian

Oh, BTW, Bubbagates,
I forgot to ask you: The Fuji manuals call for a 4.8Volt ignition battery. I reckon five cells (6V) would be too much, wouln't it? What are you using?
I have a 4.8volt 1400mah MPI battery on mine. I have several JR 1100Mah batts lying around that came out of my little bitty planes that I was gonna use, then I came across my MPI at 1400Mah at the same weight as the JR's and it's brand new, just forgot I bought it this past April in Toledo and never used it.

I did call them about using a regulator on the ignition to regulate my Fromeco 2400 Li-ION but it was suggested not to use anything regulated on the ignition and to stick with 4.8 volts only. My Super Reliaswitches with the built in regulator can regulate down to 5.5 volts which is where a fully charged 4.8volt pack would be at.

The very smallest battery they suggested is 600mah. They say the ignition uses something like 188mah +/- at full throttle so a 600mah would give roughly 2 hours of safe flying time
Old 11-28-2005, 01:41 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: nitrous pete

Pete,

What prop is on that thing? Looks like ground clearence may be close. Looks good though[sm=thumbup.gif]

I looked all over Cheifs site and did not see any gear yet []

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.