Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great planes ultimate 160

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great planes ultimate 160

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 06:51 PM
zelayaroberto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

Well, Im going the sure way. I bought a Carbon fiber landing gear from Graphtech. Maybe more weight than the stock one, but the flying field of my club is on a Polo Club field, and even that we have our own landing strip not touched by the horses you never know.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:19 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Well, I did the maiden flight on mine this weekend. I don't know what you all are getting so excited about...it's not that great.

JUST KIDDING!!!!
Man, this thing is not at home on the ground! I did my usual preflight stuff, told my dad to let go, and before I even got to 1/3 throttle it was flying! Took one click of down-trim and it was time to fly! Did mostly fast rolling loops, circles, etc. to make sure the aileron mod would hold up, as well as several snap combinations - no problems whatsoever. Knife edge obviously has some coupling, but way less than I expected - pitch coupling will change a bit, because I am going to move my CG forward ( my fuel tank is on the CG, and my CG started out almost on the rear cabane), and roll coupling is very mild on the lower rates. At my current CG, it is pretty much neutral inverted at level flight, and climbs on a 45, so about 1/4" forward should do the trick. Vertical lines indicate that the right thrust is near perfect, but I didn't hover it because the engine only had about 10 ounces through it prior to this flight and was running a little rich.
Seriously, though, I don't know how you all are pancaking on your landings - you may be too noseheavy. But I put this thing down right in front of me and greased it in and the gear didn't hardly flex at all. Of course, it was a little cold outside and my plane is a bit lighter. Anyway, I actually had a hard time getting the plane to come down - it was literally as though it really didn't want to be on the ground!
I only got one flight on it because that's all I do with maiden flights on gassers, and I did it on the last day of my stay in California with only my dad there, so I didn't get video like I had planned - sorry!
Old 01-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Welcome to the club!

I felt the same way about if floating in... but was prompty told it didn't float and without power was "comin' in"... so I just smiled and stated "whatever"....

Too coo Bodywerks... glad to hear your reports... they do sound aweful familiar...

ORIGINAL: bodywerks

Seriously, though, I don't know how you all are pancaking on your landings - you may be too noseheavy. But I put this thing down right in front of me and greased it in and the gear didn't hardly flex at all. Of course, it was a little cold outside and my plane is a bit lighter. Anyway, I actually had a hard time getting the plane to come down - it was literally as though it really didn't want to be on the ground!
Old 01-15-2007, 03:25 PM
zelayaroberto

I had been flying Ultimates since 1996, let me tell you this, this is the nicest plane to land. I just cut the engine on final and let her go down on a nice descent rate, never needed throttle management on landing. Just manage the elevator on final and that's it. Maybe some will desagree but thats my experience with Ultimates, and I didnt have a trainer when I learn to fly, I learned to fly on an Carl Goldberg's Ultimate, that was my trainner.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Lafus Maximus
My Feedback: (48)

Glad to hear you liked it. I haven't had a problem with the landing gear yet either, I always make it a point to really land my planes soft. If this rain ever stops on a day when I don't have stuff to do, I will be maidening V2. This was my first ultimate, and man, I have never seen something roll like this thing does! I have done the fastest rolling harriers and rolling loops with this thing, unreal.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:37 PM
zelayaroberto

Roger that, I dont know why Ultis are not that populars. For me are the best planes ever.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:46 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lafus,

Wait until you get it into a KE spin. If you think it rolls fast, you ought to see it wind up it the spin. RZ already knows tis but any Ultimate when spun around it's CG both laterally and pitch when left go long enough really gets going.

The first KE spin I ever did on this bipe I thought for sure I was going to rip the wings off. I know others have not been able to but I can get it to stop decending in an inverted flat spin. It's a matter of timing the throttle to just the right amount of aileron.

Mine does not like to float all that much, once airspeed has bled off enough, it drops pretty quickly. Maybe I should consider moving the CG back a tad
Old 01-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Lafus Maximus

I had my first one in KE spins, it was insane. It was a little harder to get into a KE spin then my mono planes, but once I got it locked in, it lost a lot of altitude really fast, looked like a falling cat fight.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:45 PM
bubbagates

looked like a falling cat fight
I have got to remember this, that is just too funny and very true.

For those that have not seen what this size Ultimate can do in a KE spin or even a blender, here is a video of John VH. flying his Brison powered Aeroworks Ultimate. About 2/3rds the way through he does a blender that turns into a very violent KE spin in the blink of an eye. This is how I get mine into a KE spin and it does the same thing. The difference is I back off the rudder slightly once it's in there and it will go a few more seconds until it's going so fast it just falls out on it's own. I think the momentum is so great it simply cannot stay in it

http://www.hiddenhangarrc.com/video/27_Ultimate.wmv
Old 01-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Hey, Bubba - give us an update on that Vess in the "featured picture" floating around..... is that the Brison 3.2?? How does it do for you?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:10 PM
bubbagates

Hey Bob

I thought I did, but after checking I did not.

Yep, that's on the Brison 3.2 and is a Vess 22A. It turns it right at 6800 but I gotta tell ya, it really helped in the hover dept. With the MSC and PT models 22x8 I could hover but I needed lots of aileron to keep it from doing a torque roll and was using lots of elevator to keep the nose up. Now with the Vess, I need very little elevator and aileron as I seem to have more airflow. The plane just locks right in now

I did lose a bit of vertical speed but it does not show until you get going uphill for a ways. Coming out of a hover is not a rocket but more than enough for my needs. It's very easy to do the what Kyle (The Alien) does coming out of a hover and that is lift up a few feet and plant it right into a high angle KE.

I have replaced all my planes with the Vess except one. My Cap did not like the prop. This Cap is powered by a DA50 and on a 23x8 I can come out of a hover like gravity is a passing fancy on the PT prop, the Vess on a 22A, 22B or 23A and this plane just did not perform.

I have one other pic on the RCU home page which is my AW Yak with a 3W55i. This is the 23B and that plane/engine really likes it and again I used a 23X8, 23x10 and 24x8 PT on that engine.

And best of all, mine are very quiet. The Yak on a KS1060 pipe and this prop is 89db checked in 3 positions at 9 feet on grass at full throttle. I've had guys with Saito's flying with me and we cannot hear my plane over the Saito with the stock muffler turnig APC props which are generally pretty quiet props

What everyone needs to remember is these are variable pitch props so having a pitch number does no good
Old 01-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Lafus Maximus

I do my ke spins out of a stall turn. At the top, I apply right rudder to make the stall turn, then when the plane is parallel to the ground in the stall turn, I add left rudder, full down elevator, and a little opposite aileron, and hammer down! All of my planes seem to need a different amount of rudder in the KE spin, too much and it blows right out into an inverted flat spin. But once you find that sweet spot, all you do is watch and make sure you keep tabs on the ground, cause it comes up really quick! I then exit the KE spin into an inverted flat spin and inverted harrier out of that. Too much fun
Old 01-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Bob Pastorello

Great info, Bill.... thanks. Mine are still new, and have yet to beat air....but based on what you have had, I think it will be fine, even non-piped.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:52 PM
bubbagates

I heard that about the differing amounts of rudder.

My Gp Cap does not need any at all. If you add even the slightest amount while in the spin, it no longer stays on the wingtip. No rudder and correct timing and she goes around almost as fast as the Ultimate
Old 01-15-2007, 09:54 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: aerobob

Great info, Bill.... thanks. Mine are still new, and have yet to beat air....but based on what you have had, I think it will be fine, even non-piped.

I was thinking along the lines of the 23A for the 366 during breaking and then switching to the 23B. I wish Vess would get the 24 -26 inch props out soon
Old 01-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Bob Pastorello

23A is what I have for that one - will use it on my Yak or the Extra....the 50 will get the 22A....
Old 01-15-2007, 10:10 PM
zelayaroberto

Im lost. For the Ulti and the DA 50, best prop for Hovering and vertical power? VESS 23A?
Im going to buy between 2 and 3 props for take them with me to El Salvador. Do I need to get 3 different types? What do you suggest?
Old 01-15-2007, 10:21 PM
bubbagates

RZ,

The 23A will be too much for a new DA50. I'd get the 22A until you get the engine broken in then switch to the 23A. My bet is you will not want to switch to the 23A. A Brison 3.2 is extremely close to the power of a DA50 plus the 22A will be a good match on this plane. As you knw, any bipe is loaded with aerodynamic drag and a lower pitch prop will work better

Head over to http://www.vessaero.com and have a look around. There is some great info. I was involved in the try it before you buy it at a show he was at and that's how I got to fly so many of the Vess props. I bought them as soon as I turned the "used" ones back in to them
Old 01-16-2007, 07:57 AM
BSR
My Feedback: (2)

HEY BUBBA
PUTTING SMOKE SYSTEM INTO MY ULTIMATE ,HAVENT HERD OF TO MANY OTHERS DOING THAT. DO YOU HAVE ANY PICTURES ON INSTALATION ,JUST DONT SEE HOW YOU CAN FIT A 24OZ TANK FOR SMOKE OR MAYBE TWO SADDEL TANKS ON SIDE OF PLANE IS POSSIBLE MAYBE. ANY COMMENT FROM YOU OR OTHERS
Old 01-16-2007, 10:25 AM
jeyre

Hey Bubbagates or anyone else,

I have a question about the Vess props. I have a BME 50 well broke in on my Ulti, I am currently running a 22 X8 prop. I have lots of vertical and all but my torque is monsterous, I have a hard time holding a hover even with full Aileron. Reading your experience with the Vess indicates that my solution may be in the Vess props. My question is actually 2 fold, first on my BME 50 do you think the A series is my answer? Unrelated to this thread I am building a Yak with a DA 50 on the front you say the 22A is the best break-in prop for this engine right?

Thanks
John
Old 01-16-2007, 11:11 AM
bubbagates

John,

Correct on both accounts...
Old 01-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

How do you balance this plane? Upside down or right side up? Never done a bibe before. It's a litttle unclear in the manual.

Thanks
Barry
Old 01-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Bob Pastorello

I've always treated bipes like "high wing" airplanes, and checked them upright. Bubbagates and I have come up with a "wings off" measurement, so you can suspend just the finished fuse by the "handle" bolted to the cabanes. I think it was about 1 1/4" forward of the aft cabane hole, but don't know for sure, and can check at home tonight.

Believe it or not, that method really works well.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:22 PM
bubbagates

What Bob said and it works very well.

Here is the post

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4855801

Normally you bolt everything together, markthe spot in the center of the top wing on the bottom and lift away. I think it was iflywhenican did a sling with a plumb bob and marked the top of the wing
Old 01-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Bob Pastorello

You da man, bubba.... I did the plumb bob thing way back with v.1.... Lord knows where that is in this monster thread. Glad you 'membered your response, thank you!!!!! (I'll have to recheck after the Brillelli 50 gets installed, so this is timely)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.