Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great planes ultimate 160

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great planes ultimate 160

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 03:56 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

aad2dd,

Test fit wings together just like instructions tell you to. Bottom wing needs assembled in advance of these steps.Get some 60 minute epoxy from the hardware store (Ace Hardware carries it).

Cover upper portion of fuselage (from epoxy dripping onto it).

Assemble as per instructions & wipe off excess epoxy (rubbing alcohol & paper towels).

Look back (here) a few pages for my list of "Links to mods" for ideas on modifying wing joiners prior to above steps.

'Glassing' of bottom wing not required, unless you forgot to modify wing joiners.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:28 AM
iflywhenican
My Feedback: (1)

As I have stated in previous posts, I used Gorilla Glue for joining the wings. It gives you ample time for assembly and creates a VERY strong joint. It adheres very well to almost any surface including the aluminum spar, where I have seen epoxy break away from metal surfaces over time where the Gorilla Glue will not. Just make sure that you clean the aluminum spar with acetone or alcohol first.

Another tip for "us guys" that have drilled props to large and thought that they were useless. I did a fix on one yesterday that was drilled a bit to large by inserting a piece of wood dowel into the hole then sawing the dowel off flush with the prop hub, then I soaked the dowel with thin CA, marked the center and drilled it a little undersize of the size that I needed and then simply used a prop reamer to make it just exactly what I needed. TAH-DAH, a junk prop brought back to good use. [sm=idea.gif]
Old 05-26-2008, 11:16 AM
ldilauro

Hi all !
Sorry if this question is answer in a previos messages, biut I couldn't find it.
I am planning to replace the stock tailwheel for a graph tech tail gear.. Has anyone done this upgrade in your Ultimate ?
I appreciate some advise or pictures on how ton install it..
Regards
Luis
Old 05-26-2008, 05:44 PM
69 roadrunner

Hey guys I was flyig my 40 size ultimate today and I did a hammer head and the plane just went strait down would not pull out. My friend was flyinf his great planes super sky bolt and it did the same thing, both a total loose. Iam buildinf the 160 and dont want this to happen to it is there something with bi planes that we are missing anyhelp thanks steve.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:01 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: 69 roadrunner

Hey guys I was flyig my 40 size ultimate today and I did a hammer head and the plane just went strait down would not pull out. My friend was flyinf his great planes super sky bolt and it did the same thing, both a total loose. Iam buildinf the 160 and dont want this to happen to it is there something with bi planes that we are missing anyhelp thanks steve.
Were your planes stalled out or did you have elevator pushrod flex? That seems like a very basic manuever for those planes to have a hard time with. Sorry to hear about your loss.
I will have mine essentially ready to fly by the end of the week other than the engine. I still have not ordered it. So far I am impressed with the airplane but I can see where the mods need to be made. I am using all hinge point hinges and Ultimate nano glue will be used in many areas including the wing joints. That metal center rib I think is the reason why so many have have failed. I think it may be tough to get a good glue bond there. I will add the carbon rod and do all I can to get a good bond to the metal rib. Again using the Elmers nano glue (poly urethane, Gorilla, Ultimate, all the same stuff).
Old 05-26-2008, 06:14 PM
a1pcfixer

I roughed-up my metal center rib with a medium grit sandpaper before expoxing together.
Did same with the nylon hinged - hinges, so expoxy has something better(rough) to adhere to.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:17 PM
a1pcfixer

Haven't done a Graph Tech, but I'm replacing my stock one with a Sullivan this week.
Original finally gave up over the weekend. Snapped at the pivot point[sm=punching.gif]
Old 05-26-2008, 06:50 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

vertical grimmace

What size hinge points did you use? I used Dubro hinges with cotter pins on my other Ultimate which were a pain to install. Making the hinge slots thicker was really difficult, much to my surprise. I'm using hinge points on this one, but it looked like the standard size Robart hinge points may be a little to big for the tail feathers. The next size down looks like a better fit.

Chuck
Old 05-26-2008, 08:11 PM
vertical grimmace

Chuckl, I used the 1\8" size. I have everything hinged and actually glued in all of the ailerons hinges last night. Try to find the kit that has the drill guide with it. I think it is cheaper. You will need around 30 hinges. They worked great. Put vaseline on the hinge and I used poly-u glue to glue them in. It did take some time but they work very smooth. I just do not trust EZ hinges on a plane this size. Kind of surprises me they would even engineer the kit around them.
I have wanted one of these for a couple years and am very excited to get it ready to fly. I just need an engine.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:15 PM
aa2dd

hey guys, thanks for all the input and info. I appreciate it. I bribed the wife, and she agreed to let me assemble the wings on the dining room table! But, I think that i will get some one hour epoxy, OR, use gorilla glue, and have at it in the shop. I have been using gorilla glue for a couple of years now, and it works great so far. strong and lite. I have used it to replace a torn out firewall and it is still flying! But have never used it to join wing panels before. It works okay ehhh????!!!

Bruce
Old 05-26-2008, 09:36 PM
vertical grimmace

I use polyurethne glues in my work laminating engineered hardwood flooring. The way it expands, it finds it's way everywhere. I personally trust it more than epoxy. At least the cheapo hobby store stuff. Maybe west systems or something from aerospace composites would work, but I have the PU glue so that is what I am going with.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:35 AM
iflywhenican

My hurrahs to you guys choosing to use the "Poly" glues. I assembled my Ultimate using the Gorilla Glue and I have had no problems at any joint at all. The choice of hinges is also of one's personal preference. I did a test with the provided hinge material and after I completed the test, I was not afraid to use them. I have not had a problem in that area either.
Wirebrush the aluminum spar and then clean with acetone before you assemble the wing.

69roadrunner....Was the Super Skybolt a "kitbuild" or the ARF? I to, watched helplessly my ARF Skybolt flatspin itself to the ground, but upon further inspection I found a stripped AIL servo gear and the tooth that stripped was locked into the gearset holding the right AIL into full up.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:33 AM
69 roadrunner

iflywhenican the skybolt was a arf,the ultimate was a kit. all the servos on both planes where fine. on the ultimate i suspect the carb came off the motor , bolts missing and threads look ok.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:19 PM
kts1987

http://www.hobbycity.com?cda=6934 <<<< Great!!!!!! Site Awsome prices
Old 05-27-2008, 03:41 PM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: kts1987

http://www.hobbycity.com?cda=6934 <<<< Great!!!!!! Site Awsome prices
Bad link, no go[&o]

Revised; link now working.
Site is China in origin, time zone indicates Hong Kong area.

NOT a preferred site!
Old 05-27-2008, 04:23 PM
vertical grimmace

All of my servos showed up today. Good timing to as the girl is out of town for a week. I will have this thing ready in no time now!
Old 05-27-2008, 05:35 PM
aa2dd

hmmmmmm I done the mods for the wing joiners this morning. sliced them apart, ground a groove and fitted a 5/32 hollow carbon fiber rod in the groove. then sandwiched a strip of carbon fiber tape in. Not sure which glue was the best, so being the great undecided person, I used epoxy for one and gorilla glue for the other. how's that for straddling the fence? they came out good. you cannot tell that i had cut them apart. tried to bend and flex them, but... no go on that exercise. next step is finishing the wing work .

Bruce
Old 05-27-2008, 06:08 PM
vertical grimmace

I think I am going to just drill a hole through the wing joiner to accept the carbon rod. A little easier than routing out a slot.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:29 PM
aa2dd

I thought about doing that, but knowing that I am a lousey builder that cannot cut a board square with a radial arm saw< i figgered that if i tried that, I would end up with the drill coming out the side, or drilling a hole through the plywood backing![X(]

Bruce
Old 05-28-2008, 12:03 AM
vertical grimmace

After looking closer at the wing joiner, I am just going to fabricate them from solid maple. I think one of the problems is the loose fit where the metal center rib mates with the joiner. If any movement develops, it looks like it would just slice the joiner in half. The material for the joiner is just not strong enough if any aspect of the joint breaks free. Plus trying to adhere such dissimilar materials is not easy.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:36 AM
69 roadrunner

To all with gas motors Iam running the dl50 I was told on the da50 and other gas motors to remove the trottle return spring on the carb, do I need to do that on the dl50 also thanks the runner.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:06 PM
a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: 69 roadrunner

To all with gas motors Iam running the dl50 I was told on the da50 and other gas motors to remove the trottle return spring on the carb, do I need to do that on the dl50 also thanks the runner.
NOT at all!
It's optional to remove, but NOT required!

If your throttle servo was to fail -or- the linkage fall off, you REALLY want that return spring in place!!!
It puts a very minimal pressure on the throttle servo, but not enough to matter.

I have (2) DA-50r's and (1) DL50. All 3 still have the throttle return spring on them.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:26 PM
aa2dd

that is a good idea, i also considered doing it, and may yet!

Question to any Ulti flier that will comment: I was surprised at how flimsy and flexible the cowl is. Has anyone lined it inside with a layer of fiberglass, or does it seem to hold up as is? Mine feels like thin paper!
Tomorrow, the wings/ailerons get assembled. I bought some 3 hour epoxy and tested it. works ok in the heat, but I still am eyeing the bottle of gorilla glue!! maybe i autta straddle the fence again ... one wing with expoy, and the other wing joint with gorilla glue!

one thing, if there is looseness in the wing joiners as one person commented, the gorilla glue will deal with that. any comments? I am looking for any help/experience/wisdom, etc.!

Bruce
Old 05-28-2008, 06:16 PM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

Don't worry too much about the cowl. Get some rubber backed washers for the screws that hold the cowl on. It'll last much longer.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:24 PM
aa2dd

thanks mcmike. i'll try them out.

Bruce

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.