Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Youngest 3D Pilots - Are you teaching your kids to fly? At what age?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Youngest 3D Pilots - Are you teaching your kids to fly? At what age?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 06:10 AM
red_z06
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Youngest 3D Pilots - Are you teaching your kids to fly? At what age?

Dany boy:

Is he capable of doing safe solo flying? Are crashes happening during landing attempts? Is he doing this or a buddy box?
Old 10-01-2005, 06:41 AM
red_z06

Default RE: Youngest 3D Pilots - Are you teaching your kids to fly? At what age?

Hi all!

Thank you all for waiting patiently for the field video. I uploaded 2 field videos fro 9-23 and 9-30. I believe he is getting more comfotable flying at the field now and the length of his flying is increasing too.

http://media.putfile.com/Justin---Te...o---2005-09-30

Enjoy

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38433.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	332057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16423.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	332058  
Old 10-01-2005, 08:03 AM
BoneDoc
My Feedback: (1)

Nice!! keep it up.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:18 PM
red_z06

Starting today, Justin's field flying privilege is suspendid pending more controlled take off and landing and no dangerous moves down on the deck. He is allowed to continue flying on the sim. He was free to experiment on the sim up til now but there will be rules.

Until he can control take off and landing pattern, he is limited to right take off and landing from left with landing pattern approach. He is strictly forbidden to fly over the pit area ( or any designated area ). Any crash other than during approach and landing is forbidden. If he breaks any of above, the sim session will immediately holt until next day.

I hope this will work and cram some safety sense in him.

He has improved much since last aeroflypro video session that I'm considering doing 2nd video on aerofly pro.

He has started practicing slow roll and starting to hold the altitude and his stretched landing with PW extra 300 is "OOOHHHHH NICEEEEEE"
Old 10-06-2005, 09:52 PM
BoneDoc

Why not just let him fly in the park? Next day is an eternity for a kid that young. How about an hour instead It will still feels like eternity.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:34 PM
red_z06

BoneDoc

He has the skills to line up a warbird for fast and low inverted pass straight down the runway. At times he can make such fine adjustment with the stick and some times he just goes wild. At the field it is more difficult to control him for the safety sake. Although Tensor 4d will hurt no one, I have to assume and pretend he is flying a 35% extra. A serious weapon!!

Flying in the park will not give him any dissipline. I believe he needs to practice at the flying field environment where he has many restrictions. I found the desert scenery on AeroflyPro very similar to my field ( we have lake instead of mountains ) and can teach him some control. Holting the sim when he crashes due to wrecklessness seems to have positive effect on him ( only time will tell ) as he genuinely paying more attention to height and position ( trying to stay away from the pit area - this is very difficult on sim when you are flying high so all you see is the sky around you without peripheral vision ).

If this method works, next video will be (my guess) a quantum leap from the aeroflypro video you saw.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:57 AM
BoneDoc

I see your point Red. I crash a lot also though trying stuff out on AFP . On someone his age though, still think 1 hr is better than 1 day. As a matter of fact, a "timeout" (ie. 5 min) I think will be more effective as he still remembers what he did wrong. For a kid, by the time the day passes, they won't remember why they were punished. To keep it fun but educational, I think the timeout method would be more effective. Then as he gets better and more disciplined, the timeout gets longer, even up to a day or more.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:07 AM
Sturtz
My Feedback: (20)

I've posted a howdy and commented on Justin's progress in another thread somewhere this week Red.
Looks like your doing a great job with him. Hope he'll be a future champion and we can watch him on ESPN where our sport should be in the near future anyway.

Remember he's just barely at the age where the human mind starts to truely awaken to their surroundings. He's also at the age where he must test the waters and your patience as well.
The best way to keep a child interested in something is to say NO once and awhile. Makes anyone young or old want it even more.
And he may be more open to suggestions by you if the flying time is a bit more harder to obtain.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:19 AM
red_z06

sturtz:

I agree with you on that. It is sometimes hard seeing him so sad but in the long run it would help him grow. After yesterday's crash on sim, he was told no flying til tomorrow. He gets up and says "Good Morning" the next thing was "Can I fly the simulator?" 5 min into it, he crashed on take off. I could let it slide but I chose to stop the sim. I saw tears in his eyes but I think he know he can try again. I may change from next day to half day. Perhaps I'll let him try again this afternoon.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:49 AM
red_z06

Thanks all for the encouraging comments!

His 2nd AFPD video is up. I am waiting for AeroFlyPro.com to host it. Meanwhile you can go to www.flyingcirkus.com and check community video gallery to find the video.

He now has landing and takeoff in more controlled fashion. He still tries to do rolling harrier without rudder input so is is wobbly. I guess he has seen too many TOC videoes as pulls up and outside loop to a inverted elevator and harrier.

It is not as good as when he plays around on AFPD. I guess he is camera shy.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:52 AM
BoneDoc

why don't you just video tape him without his knowing it: no intro, no comments, no suggestions (at least not much more than what you'd do if you're only watching him).
Old 10-12-2005, 11:54 AM
red_z06

Video links provided by AeroFlyPro.com

2005-09-21 - AeroFlyPro Video
www.flybuder.com/aeroflyvids/3yrs.wmv

2005-09-30 - Tensor 4D Video
http://www.flybuder.com/aeroflyvids/...2005-09-30.wmv

2005-10-07 - AeroFlyPro Video 2
http://www.flybuder.com/aeroflyvids/...005-10-09a.wmv

You may already have seen these. I just put all of them in one place
Old 10-18-2005, 06:53 AM
red_z06

Justin's info page has been created.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428085

Please come and sign the guestbook.

Thank you
Old 10-19-2005, 09:52 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Benny is was nice meeting you and Justin this evening. From the looks of it, it appears Justin is going places, hopefully aviation related!

I'm happy to annouce that Justin IS the real deal.

See you guys both real soon.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:16 AM
red_z06

Justin's new video is up

2005-10-26 - Aeroflypro video 3 - New Video Doing Rolling Harrier Circle

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428085
Old 11-04-2005, 01:31 AM
z
My Feedback: (4)

i am 15 now almost 16 i started flying at 13 on a simulator at 13 1/2 i got my first plane it was a grat panes dazzler i know everyone said i was nutz some one helped me set it p and then one evening my dad which cant fly and i went out to the field and i maidened my first plane and i didnt lose it i flew it for a few months and then my battery hatch came loose and took the battery with it. then i got a giles 202 3d and was hovering and torque rolling by 14. now i have had several 3dplanes and i have a .60 p-51 mustang and a thunder tiger extra 3d with magnum xls52a. now i can do any manuever in the book. this is by far the most enjoyable hobby and close to the most expensive$$$$$$$$ !!!!!!
Old 11-06-2005, 07:34 PM
analog_boy

this all is awsome. i started at seven on a buddy box. was scared at the time but my dad somehow tricked me into flying.(7 year olds are pretty gulable i suppose). anyway never looked back. budget is sometimes a problem but you treat them way better if you buy them yourself. the point im tryng to get to is that treat those kids at the feild like they are adults. i dont know how many times ive beens asked "do you like planes". it is really frustrating. even after i fly and do a little showing off they still talk to me like im 6 years old. so please treat them with the respect. thats all i want sometimes. i dont even care if they say good job. one of the best experiences i had was some guy at a fun fly said " you got bigger balls then ill ever grow" sound like sayng good job but it wasnt. teh tone he used was like he was taling to my dad.

thanks for listening and if nothing talk to kids at the flying field with respect please.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:56 AM
livinma1
My Feedback: (15)

Hey All -

My daughter is 4 now and she loves the simulator. When she sees me crash she says "daddy - let me show you how to do it" which is very cute. I have a tigermoth which I will let her fly very soon to see how she does and allow her to practice on the simulator. The nice thing about it also is my wife will let me go to the field more often since I will be taking one of the kids. :-).

BTW: Red how is your boy doing ... Will you have him fly indoors so that he continues to learn through the harsh northeast winter.

Mark
Old 11-08-2005, 08:22 AM
red_z06

livinma:

Please video tape your daughter when she flies the TigerMoth and post it here for us.
I thing we have another 3-4 weeks of outdoor flying left. I am seeking an indoor facility to keep Justin flying. If anyone know anyplace near Dumont area, please let me know. I am going to have a talk with Armory (Teaneck) flyers ( they don't allow 3d flying ) to see if they will allow him to fly there.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:52 AM
livinma1
My Feedback: (15)

I will once I feel she is doing well enough.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:40 AM
red_z06

Justin's AFPD Video 4 - 2005-12-07 added

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428085

Old 01-13-2006, 04:44 AM
BoneDoc

Benny,

Congrats on Justin's article on FlyRC. I just read it.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:44 AM
red_z06

Thanks!

I hope this will fuel the other dads to start their kids young on RC. I hope there will be slew of pre elemantary school flyers forcing AMA to add another class of flyers. Hmmm. Single digit class upto 9?
Old 01-19-2006, 08:36 PM
skater_719
My Feedback: (4)

yup, just was lookin through fly rc and saw ya
Old 02-03-2006, 01:48 PM
red_z06

[link=http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/59049/Ez82464.pdf]FlyRC March 2006 Departure Article[/link]

Reprinted courtesy of Fly RC magazine. (C) Maplegate Media 2006

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59854.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	401187  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ez82464.pdf (99.1 KB, 8 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.