Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Youngest 3D Pilots - Are you teaching your kids to fly? At what age?

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Youngest 3D Pilots - Are you teaching your kids to fly? At what age?

Old 09-20-2005, 02:59 AM
red_z06
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Youngest 3D Pilots - Are you teaching your kids to fly? At what age?

I am curious to see at what age kids are starting to fly RC in general and 3D. My son got started on Aerofly Pro. When he was 1 1/2, he was handed a buddy box for Aerofly Pro control. He could not talk yet so no attemps were made to teach him other than him watching me fly. The usual blast off and smack happend for a while. Then one day, before he turned 2 I think, he was actually flying ( in control ). I then started paying more attention to what he was doing but still could not tell/teach him what to do as he would not listen. He tried to mimic knife edge flying but he still hadn't discovered CORRECTION. Then one day, he discovered adding rudder to knife edge and the rest is history.

He was born on 7/21/2002 and his official stick experience at my flying field was on 6/26/2005 or at 2years and 11 months.

He is now on Aerofly Pro Deluxe Flight Sim everyday and his most feared punishment is having his transmitter ( control for AFPD ) taken away.

I restricted his flying to desert field on afpd to instill no fly zone ( pit area ) and after a while it seems to be working as he yells " Don't fly over the pit area!" as I happened to wonder into pit area.

We just came back from NEAT Fair 2005 where he flew his Hobbistar 60 Electric on a buddy box ( take off but no landing ).

Somehow all his skills ( high speed knife-edge circuit, high alpha knife-edge, inverted flat spin, 4 point roll, inverted circuit, harrier, inverted harrier, hover with rudder touch ) don't seem to transfer to field flying as seems to be scared to crash ( experienced funtana 40, 90 and hobbistar 60 crash ) and seem to dependent on buddy box recovery.

I decided to sacrifice my Tensor 4D in order to fix this problem. He soloed my Tensor 4D and took off from the paved runway and demonstrated harrier, torque roll, inverted harrier and landing ( not so good as he deems landing boring ) all at about eye level.

Tomorrow, I will attempt to capture this on video.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40791.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	326563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82280.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	326564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70031.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	326565  
Old 09-20-2005, 10:52 AM
3dbob37n

Default RE: Youngest 3D Pilots - Are you teaching your kids to fly? At what age?

WOW!- That's great. We at Macon Aero Modelers are quite proud of our 13 year old who in just about a year has become the top pilot in our club.
He's a whiz at 3d.

3dbob
Old 09-20-2005, 11:21 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Youngest 3D Pilots - Are you teaching your kids to fly? At what age?

I was not free to attend an air carnival, they had a Thai kid who is only 4/5 and he can really fly IMAC. Seems that he was using a sim at about 2. Kids are amazing now ...
Old 09-20-2005, 11:38 AM
aerofundan

wow thats amazing i started learning in the simulator like at age of 6 or 7 i think!, and started flying in real life like when i was 9 or 10!, now i'm 18 years old [8D] i remember that since i was like 6-7 i was already doing torque rolls on the simulator, but to pass it to real life it took a lot of time!..

Daniel
www.aerofunrc.com
Old 09-20-2005, 11:39 AM
aerofundan

BTW torque roll on the first real flight LOL, had to heavily modify planes to do it, my brother was in charge of that
Old 09-20-2005, 12:18 PM
Devin McGrath

You where at NEAT I think I remember seeing you what where you flying ?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:20 PM
red_z06

Devin:

I was flying H9 Extra 260, GP Little Toni and my son was flying his Hobbistar 60.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Devin McGrath

I reammember now that was some good flying with the extra I really engoyed it. It sounds like the rest of us are going to have to watch out for your son making everyone look bad verry soon lol

I was there ith FMA Direct flying a Funtana 90, Mini Funtana (the one with insane vertical), The Graupner Showflyer 3D, The F3A shockflyer, The Hobby-Lobby Raptor ep (at night) and the white micro 3D flyer at the indoor event on Saturday night from DWE.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:02 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: red_z06

I am curious to see at what age kids are starting to fly RC in general and 3D. My son got started on Aerofly Pro. When he was 1 1/2, he was handed a buddy box for Aerofly Pro control. He could not talk yet so no attemps were made to teach him other than him watching me fly. The usual blast off and smack happend for a while. Then one day, before he turned 2 I think, he was actually flying ( in control ). I then started paying more attention to what he was doing but still could not tell/teach him what to do as he would not listen. He tried to mimic knife edge flying but he still hadn't discovered CORRECTION. Then one day, he discovered adding rudder to knife edge and the rest is history.

He was born on 7/21/2002 and his official stick experience at my flying field was on 6/26/2005 or at 2years and 11 months.

He is now on Aerofly Pro Deluxe Flight Sim everyday and his most feared punishment is having his transmitter ( control for AFPD ) taken away.

I restricted his flying to desert field on afpd to instill no fly zone ( pit area ) and after a while it seems to be working as he yells " Don't fly over the pit area!" as I happened to wonder into pit area.

We just came back from NEAT Fair 2005 where he flew his Hobbistar 60 Electric on a buddy box ( take off but no landing ).

Somehow all his skills ( high speed knife-edge circuit, high alpha knife-edge, inverted flat spin, 4 point roll, inverted circuit, harrier, inverted harrier, hover with rudder touch ) don't seem to transfer to field flying as seems to be scared to crash ( experienced funtana 40, 90 and hobbistar 60 crash ) and seem to dependent on buddy box recovery.

I decided to sacrifice my Tensor 4D in order to fix this problem. He soloed my Tensor 4D and took off from the paved runway and demonstrated harrier, torque roll, inverted harrier and landing ( not so good as he deems landing boring ) all at about eye level.

Tomorrow, I will attempt to capture this on video.
WWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I can't wait for the video. That's incredible.

Woops
Old 09-20-2005, 08:49 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

my son is 2 now.. i have had him on the sim since he was 1 and a half also.. he loves planes and that is all he says. but he prefers to fly helis. he folows his movements with the boom too.. my wife says he is just getting lucky. then i told her to just watch. every flight he does it. he can get about 45 second flights controlled. after that he will start to fade and eventually crash.. his plane technique is not as good because he likes to center the throttle like the heli. Its amazing watching them learn.. he is at the point in age right now where you were saying he dont want you to show him. so he just resets flys and crashes, resets flys and crashes.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:53 PM
flyinazn10

wow, wish i learned to fly at 1! that really amazing, a 2 year old kid flying. I taight myself to fly rc at 12 (wasnt easy!) and then started 3D at about 13 3/4 i think. now at 14 1/4, i can fly 3D somewhat well, although having a sim would probobly help my skills
Old 09-21-2005, 02:44 AM
lomcevek1

My little boy is 4 and I started him on the sim at 2. He likes to fly an extra in the chase plane mode on aerofly- Pro. Also it is tough to go to the field without him as the moment he sees my plane he says " can I go daddy Please please please" I can't say no to that

Name:	If10481.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	327098  
Old 09-21-2005, 05:40 AM
red_z06

Lomcevek:

I noticed kids like chase mode as it is much easier but does not help at all getting the positional persepective intuitively. My friend also has his son on sim but he refuses to fly ( 8 yrs old ) other than follow mode. I notice that he barely manages level circuit at the field and not improving much.

My son found out about the follow mode and he keeps on asking me to change and I say "No".
After seeing his skill improve so dramatically, I try to push him to do more (I wonder if its parent's instinct/greed to show off that is kicking in) and some times I feel like a ring master at a circus whipping helpless animal and I get disapointed and angry if he doesn't.

Because he does so well on sim ( the part that convinces me that he is older than 3 is when he sets up for a low knife edge pass and does it straigth down the runway and continue 1/2 circle in outside knife-edge turn ) I keep forgetting that he is only a 3 years old who is just getting off his diapers ( rather slow in my opinion ).

I tried to take video this morning but he would not coorporate and does his thing and I just can't understand his reasoning yet.

I need to be more patient and keep reminding myself that he is only 3.

As I was leaving for the field this afternoon, he says "Can I go too?" I say "I can't take you because you don't listen!" I do feel bad for saying that and leaving him behind (a feeble attemp to coax him to listen more) ....
Old 09-21-2005, 07:16 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is so neat. I cant wait to see a video of him flying....
Old 09-21-2005, 09:57 AM
diggs_74

I know exactly what you're talking about Red... It is parental instinct to want you child to excel at something.. My son just turned 2 and every night I get home from work he comes running up to me screaming "fly daddy, fly please"... So of course we do... He looks pretty cute holding that 9C....
Old 09-21-2005, 10:19 AM
Commander_Drake
My Feedback: (2)

red z06

I was at NEAT Friday and Saturday. I watched you fly many times. Your whole family is a joy.
What great weather we had! I had a great time! I was in a grey screen tent near the end of the pit line.

Glen
Old 09-21-2005, 10:37 AM
red_z06

Commander:

Thank you!

NEAT was great and we hope to make it an annual event. Hopefully you and I will enjoy him grow up and entertain us if his interest and zeal in flying persists.

diggs:

He dropped my Tx and broke switch levers on couple of my 9ZAP and JR 8103. Now I'm using JR buddy box for that purpose. It is $50 and comes with buddy cord that I use as an extension for the USB interface and it also cmes with nicad and charger. I think it is a cheap insurance.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:31 PM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

kinda skeptical
Old 09-21-2005, 09:42 PM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

My daughter is 11 and has her own trainer plane on a buddy box. One day I asked her if she wanted to fly my 36% on BB.......look at that grin as we were setting up to fly.

Name:	Ca81095.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	380.4 KB
ID:	327526  
Old 09-21-2005, 10:08 PM
red_z06

southern:

I don't have a field flying video but I hope this will make you a believer.

This is a video of my son flying on Aerofly Pro Deluxe sim.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3383090/tm.htm
Old 09-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

I know my 20 month old isnt rdy but i have tried to get him on G3 but not much luck there.
I did buy him one of those 20 dollar Nikko rc car, and he can actully drive it around alittle, that alone made me happy
Im gonna give him till about 2 1/4 years of age then try again.

One things for sure though he is absolutly fascinated with planes He loves it when my wife comes flying cause that means he gets to go, he trys to be my little helper
Old 09-21-2005, 10:25 PM
red_z06

dealspeed

I did not try and could not try to get him hooked. He saw me flying and he wanted to do it himself. If you keep flying on G3, I'm sure he'll want to try eventually.

If he does, try leaving the box around with the computer turned on and simply forget about it and let him just play with the sticks. Eventually he will notice action on stick results in reaction on screen. Afther that, many crashes will occurr but don't try to teach him but one day he will surprise you.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:33 PM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

Actully red he wont leave the radio alone trust me, only half the time do i leave the sim on and running
Old 09-21-2005, 10:38 PM
red_z06

dealspeed:

I don't know exactly how many months he was playing with but I believe it took more than 3-6months before I discovered he was actually flying.

He dropped and broke a switch on my futaba 9zap, JR 8103. Now I have him on JR buddy box as it is much cheaper.

Did you get a chance to see the video? You will be the first to see it as it was taken only an hour ago.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:00 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

I'm in Dumont a couple days a week, when can we see him fly? Which field do you fly?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.