Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great Planes 25% Yak 81" 12-lb, seen on Fly3D Magazine

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great Planes 25% Yak 81" 12-lb, seen on Fly3D Magazine

Old 04-05-2006, 09:39 AM
AirTech
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes 25% Yak 81" 12-lb, seen on Fly3D Magazine

Corwin,
That's correct.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:05 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Heading up to the LHS to put this plane on Layaway today.

I noticed a couple folks in this thread had said they'd be trying/using the OS 1.60 and the Super Tigre G-3250. these are the two engines I'm considering..anyone have comments about how the plane performs with either of these motors?

I've considered the various 40cc range gassers, and have already chosen not to go that route in this case. Just looking for input on which of the two glow motors mentioned above performs better. The 3250 is clearly larger, but also heavier, so I'm looking for experienced insight.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Hey Fellas,
Mine's ready to go but the weather sorta sucks right now. Maybe next weekend. I mounted three servos in the tail and mounted the Rx battery on top of the engine box, no additional weight required! The Brillelli 46 has a rear dump muffler and the cowl required no additional cutting except for the exhaust ports. I trashed the stock tailwheel setup and went with a Sullivan tailwheel assembly. Also added hardwood triangle stock to the inside of the engine box.
Since the Walbro carb is a diaphragm system you only need two lines! Use a "tee" fitting on the carb line and a standard vent line. I am concerned however that if the tank leaks or a fuel line develops a pinhole, any gas on the foam interior will be a disaster! Oh well, just make sure everythings good and tight to start with I guess! I am using an EDS servo reverser for the elevators and it sure is nice! No adjustment screw to mess with and it centers perfectly! I am very eager to get this one airborne!

Happy Flying!

Loopman [sm=cool.gif]
Old 04-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Can one of you guys tell me how wide the cowl is. I have an old Saito 270 twin sitting around and since I am not into 3d this looks like a good place to put it. I just am wondering how much of the engine is going to stick out past the cowl.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Don d
My Feedback: (1)

I've got about 30 flights on my Yak now. Flying with a ST-2500. Good power for IMAC aerobatics. I'm still moving the CG back from recommended location. Flat spins are still not what I'd like but getting better. Have moved the battery pack from the motor box back to behind the wing tube. Need to be moved alittle more. Some wing rock in a harrier. Coming the closest to a rolling harrier with this plane than any other including my UCD. I think this thing will hover really nicely with more power. Hangs in there pretty good with the 2500. I fly from a 150' strip by my shop. This airplane handles the short landing area better than any of my other real airplane models. On landing, if you get it within 4' of the ground you can chop the trottle, throw the transmitter down and the plane will take care of the rest. Only plane I've flown this much without at least a few dings. Very forgiving airplane.

Don
Old 04-10-2006, 01:57 PM
isaacslaw
My Feedback: (4)

Guys:

I am just about to order one of these and am going through the process of picking the engine. I am sooooo baffled by the industry's use of weight figures for the various engines. It seems almost impossible to compare two engines based only on what the manufacturers say they weigh and the horsepower output. I am seriously thinking about
the fuji 43 electronic ignition model, though because 1) it's the recommended engine by great planes and they say it works out really great, 2) it appears that the engine just bolts on to the firewall without any standoffs or additional mounts, saving some weight (but maybe not) and 3) The price seems very attractive.

I was wondering if anyone is using this engine on their YAK and if so, how does it fly and how much does it wiegh altogether? If anyone else has a great idea about engines, I am listening. I would prefer gas cause I really want to try gas, and a DA is out of my budget range, it has to be squarely in the less than 500 area. Has anyone used the fuji 50cc -- its' only $10 more than the 43. Thanks guys.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:45 PM
The MacDaddy
My Feedback: (10)

Isaac,

A Saito 220 is $499, a DA 50 is $550. You will spend the $150 difference in fuel in one years flying. I recommend saving a little longer, I am to do just that, I have everything except the engine, which I am going with the BME 55 when it arrives. Fuel is your largest expense.....look at the big picture.

GP recommends the Fuji because they make them.....go figure, they SAY not to use anything larger than a 43, but if you look at the weight, the DA and BME weigh much less.....however throttle management is necessary. Read the thread on the GP Ultimate, there is a guy there (and here too I think) that tried the Fuji, a real dog for 3d, but maybe I should have asked that first... what are you going to do with yours? IMAC or Hardcore?? somewhere inbetween? if so, OS 160 FX.

Mac
Old 04-10-2006, 03:06 PM
isaacslaw
My Feedback: (4)

I am going to use this plane to improve my aerobatic skills, and to learn 3d and if I become decent enough, then to compete in IMAC, but that's definitely down the road from now. Primarily, I am interested in the larger size of this plane (to me and my .40 sized hangar) and its better aerobatics abilities, and really like the idea of a gas engine. This plane is already stretching everything I have (abilities and wallet) and I havent' even gotten to the servos yet! ) I am really enjoying seeing how everyone is setting theirs up so far and it seems as though everyone likes how it flies so far.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:12 PM
evfast
My Feedback: (31)

What 's up with this thread? Did we crash all of our planes and have nothing to report! How about some reports!
Old 04-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Hajduk

ORIGINAL: evfast
What 's up with this thread? Did we crash all of our planes and have nothing to report! How about some reports!
I am waiting for that BME 55cc engine to complete my assembly.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:03 PM
davegr1
My Feedback: (2)

Got mine in the air twice, running the Da50 with the mez 22x10 prop. Awsome combo. Using all Futaba 9450 on the controls except the rudder, JR 8611a 230 oz @6v. No pull pull, got a smoke tank up front in this one. This is my first da and it is an awsome engine. Choke, flip twice, unchoke, flip two times and shes running. Just flying in circles now, will get a gallon or so thru the engine, the all hell will break loose. Has anyone noticed any coupling or bad tendicies? She does land slow.

Dave Greer
Old 04-15-2006, 12:55 PM
gboulton

Just finished getting mine together with an OS 1.60. Still have to balance her, then we'll go flying. I'll let ya know.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:57 PM
gruberr

I am trying to pick up on this thread since I am very interested in this airplane. I currently fly a UCD 60 with a Saito 120 on the front. I was thinking of going with the CRRCPro G45I gas engine for this project. It was featured in MA's worth a closer look two months ago. It weights a lot less than the Fuji and comes complete with ignition and pitts style muffler for $384. Hard not to take a shot at this power plant. It puts out 4.2 hp at 7600 rpms vs Fuji's 4.2 at somewhere over 11000 rpm. Lots of torque like the DA. It has a short footprint which will help to fit in small spaces. Anyone seen or have this engine yet? If not check it out at http://www.crrcprousa.com/.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:22 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

There is a thread or two here on RCU about it...

Seems more people than not are having a good deal of trouble with it... it's made in China, not necessarily known for their engine prowess. (Or tight tolerances for that matter).

It often follows that if the price seems too good to be true, it probably is.

I'd research the threads first before plunking money down on it.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:59 AM
zrider

Hey davegr1, how was the set up with th DA. I plan to get this bird soon and I'm definitely going with the DA. Just curios as to how it was to mount and set up the engine. What size stand-offs did you use? Any extra cutting of the cowl? Anything I should know ahead of time?

thanks

David
Old 04-16-2006, 08:03 AM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Hey Fellas,
You need to check out "Brillelli" engines! Their 46cc pro is an absolute perfect match for this plane!
Happy Flying!

Loopman [8D]
Old 04-16-2006, 08:49 AM
evfast
My Feedback: (31)

I have a picture of how I cut the cowl to fit the DA-50 with the pitts mufler, I will post later. The standoffs are 3" and the ruder servo has to go pull pull.

Both batteries will have to go up front and the receiver in the rear and she will balance right on the mark. I'm on my 3rd gallon of ashless 32:1 and next week will go to Amsoil

I had some problems with the ruder servo not having enough power at first but I fixed it with a Hitec 5955.

Plane flies great
Old 04-16-2006, 09:24 AM
zrider

Hey evfast, thanks for the info. pics would be great.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:19 PM
gboulton

Well, mine's together and balanced. All up weight dry is 12.9 lbs on a digital scale.

Have run the OS 1.60 through a tank of fuel, and if the BRUISES on the back of my wife's lovely ankles (she was standing in front of the stab for me) are any indication, it'll be plenty of power. It's enough that, holding on to the wing tube with the engine BARELY in a 2 cycle run, I can't pull
the plane backwards.

Havent flown yet...the wind gods aren't cooperating today...am hoping wind will settle down this evening, or perhaps tomorrow after work.

Until then, a couple of comments/suggestions/points/observations.

[ul][*] I have 2 complaints about the "kit" in general.

The stab slot is incorrectly shown in the photographs, and the text of the manual does not specifically locate it. As a result, I cut covering from a "hole" below the stab slot that is nearly the same shape as the stab slot. Granted, an easy repair/patch, but the instructions really should specifically locate the stab slot, or caution the builder to avoid removing covering from the wrong slot below the correct one.

The cowl ring assembly and mounting section could be VERY confusing to the neophyte, as the "alignment tool", built from several plywood discs, is referred to as a "cowl ring" (and once "the included cowl ring" ) throughout that section of the manual. That would be fine, except the actual cowl mounting plate is ALSO called "the cowl ring" and/or "the included cowl ring" throughout this section as well. Those who have never built a cowled aircraft could easily find themselves wonering what it is they're building out of these play discs, and how it will be used. Perhaps changing the terminology to "cowl ring" or "cowl mounting plate" for the mount, and "cowl alignment tool" for the discs would help here.
[*] Beyond those minor issues, I was VERY pleased. The ARF assembles quickly for a plane its size, and the hardware, imo, is excellent. Only the throttle linkage is less than "very high" quality, and it is more than suitable for its purpose, imo. One of the few ARFs I've encountered that didn't give me ANY reason to replace hardware. The consturction appears top notch as well. Triangle stock bracing where you'd hope, interlocking pieces as you find in all GP models. The engine box, especially, was EXTREMELY solid with no wasted weight. Finally, as stated elsewhere in this thread, the covering was excellent. This is certainly my favorite scheme I've seen on a Yak, and the covering was (save one aileron) wrinkle free and expertly applied. Worthy of special note, imo, is the covering job done on the transition from the turtle deck to the vertical stab. Excellent work there.[*] The manual comes right out and says the plane WILL be tail heavy with a 1.60 on its nose, and boy they aren't lying. Even with a 6v 2700mah battery up IN the engine box forward of the firewall, I was STILL a good 1.25" aft of the reccomended CG. 7 oz of weight in the lip of the cowl resolved that, and all things considered, is still an excellent trade for the 1 lb+ extra weight a different motor would have added. I THINK one might be able to cut that back if you wanted to do the work to move the elevator servos wel forward, and perhaps go with pull-pull cables on the elevators, but, honestly, I just did NOT want to go to that much effort. Wasn't real happy with the idea of ganging two servos for the rudder. Hitec's HS-5945MG offers nearly the same torque as two of their 645MG's, at roughly the same cost as 2 645's. Since the rudder servo tray is behind the CG (not my much) this is another option to help the tail heaviness just a tad.[*] With the OS 1.60 mounted on its side, .75 oz of weight was needed in the left wing tip. No issue to cut the covering away from the bottom, and put some adhesive weights in the wing tip, and reseal the covering.
[/ul]

As I say, the flight report will have to wait for the wind to cooperate...but for now, she sure looks good, and all indications are that she'll be a real joy to fly.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61209.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	446139  
Old 04-16-2006, 01:35 PM
gboulton

Just for the curious:

Did some quick (and rough) calculating...it looks like, presuming 2 oz servos that moving the elevator servos up to GP's "rear servo tray" location would have less than a 1/2 oz impact on the necessary nose weight...that's not including the extra weight that would be added to the tail (probably .5 oz or so) for the 2 additional control horns. In other words, even if one wanted to be that obsessive, you'd apparently save almost NOTHING in total aircraft weight.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:09 PM
davegr1
My Feedback: (2)

Zrider, I used the 3" stand offs, It put the cowl right at the edge of the hub. The footprint was perfect, of course I mounted it inverted. The slimeline muffler was a good fit. I had to cut the cowl a little, but it does not show from the sides or top. The power of the DA is amazing.. Someone mentioned above about the brilleilli engines, well, I have one on another aircraft, it is a good engine also, great power. Scott is top notch for service. I just wanted to put the DA sticker on the yak. Here is a pic of the DA mounted. Well I tried to upload pic's, thier server is f--ked. I'll try later.

Dave Greer

Name:	Hf99582.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	446383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91092.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	446384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62698.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	446385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15324.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	446386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96706.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	446387  
Old 04-17-2006, 03:09 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your plane,
actually any of these Greatplanes YAK's, excellent.
Maybe i must sell all my planes and take one of these.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:48 AM
zrider

Hey Dave, thanks for the pics. That thing looks great, didnt it come with a clear canopy? I noticed yours is smoked.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:38 PM
gboulton

Dave,

With that dark canopy (which looks REALLY sharp btw) ya know what would set it off?

Polishing the spinner.

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/how...Spinners_1.asp is a great article. I used that method on the stock spinner, and with just 2-3 hours of work, came up with the results shown in the attached photo.

Name:	Om32650.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	446847  
Old 04-17-2006, 07:57 PM
gboulton

Just got back from the maiden fights.

For those who have limited time, here's the 3 word flight report:

OH
MY
GOD

Now, for those with a bit more time, here's the somewhat more verbose version.

What a fantastic airplane.

First flight...smooth predictable takeoff roll, tail comes up, a bit of up elevator, and away we go. 2 clicks of up and a click of right rudder later, and we're hands off. Took all of 1 whole circuit to trim it. Remainder of the flight was uneventful race track pattern and a couple of aileron rolls on low and high rates. Landed on the first attempted approach, with just a bit of a bounce. Absolutely nothing surprising or dicomforting about any of it.

Second flight...was comfortable enough to just gun it and go, plane came right off the ground, and flew like a dream. Did some rolls, loops, and even a brief vertical climb. Leaned on the rudder a bit, VERY little roll coupling. By halfway throuhg the 2nd flight, already comfortable enough to try a knife edge, and it went without incident. With a right rudder knife edge, she wanted to roll left just a tad, but that can easily be controlled, or mixed out as desired. 2nd landing was a thing of beauty, even if I do say so myself. At 13 lbs, she's incredibly stable at low speeds, and settled down so gently that i think I could have landed on eggs.

Third flight...the first negative of the entire day. The OS 1.60 wants to run backwards when started at times, and I was an idiot and didn't get out of the way quick enough...backfired bit a finger tip a bit. Nothing major, didn't even delay the flight, and certainly isn't the plane's fault. This takeoff was adventerous, as I yanked back pretty good, and climbed out at about 70-80 degrees, with an aileron roll on the way up. Again, I just got THAT comfortable with this plane that quickly. Flew this entire flight on high rates (see note on rates below) including the takeoff and landing. Did several snaps (very predictable, and FAST), loops, cuban 8's, rolls, etc...basically just tosing the plane around a bit, having fun. It did NOTHING unexpected r frightening through any of it, and performed like a champ. Landing, even on high rates, was uneventful. It settles right down, never drops a wing, and just quits flying with a soft "thump" on the tarmac.

Some notes/comments/discoveries

1) In an effor to find SOMETHING negative (no ARF can be THIS perfect, can it???) to say, I WILL point out that the stock tail wheel has very little authority on the ground. Needed to do all the taxiing on high rates, which on a maiden, is a bit disturbing, since you WANT to land on low rates, but feel afraid you;ll need to flip to high right away to control her. As it turns out, no biggie, since, as described above, it's awfully docile (read, predictable, not unresponsive) on high rates.

2) Other than 1 above, I used and will stay with EVERY piece of supplied hardware, and all performed flawlessly.

3) GP was not lying...the OS 1.60 is a SUPERB engine for this plane. Plenty of power with unlimited vertical even at the rich low-rpm break in needle I'm running now. No question it'll hang off the prop when things are all broken in and leaned out. granted, might not do it at 1/3 throttle, but there'll be plenty of left stick left, I'm sure. Combine that with the light weight (2.6 lbs all up), ease of installation and maintenance, and low cost ($279 retail) and its only drawback is the expense of glow fuel. I DID notice, however, that contrary to published reports, mine drank about an ounce a minute, not the 2-2.5 oz/min I've seen reported...and that's at rich break-in setting.

4) GP's reccomended starting CG is, like many ARFS, well forward of where it COULD comfortably be. As I said earlier, with the 1.60 it comes out tail heavy, and despite the weight I added, I was STILL a finger width behind their suggested starting point...despite this, however, it's as stable as a rock and needed 2 clicks of up to fly hands off...so, I'm pretty sure you could go beyond their suggested 1/2" +/- range, and be happy.

Finally, for the curious, the details and specs:

OS 1.60 Engine, 20/8 wood prop, 15% Cool Power fuel.
Final weight, dry, 12.9 lbs
HiTec 645MG's on ailerons and elevators, Single HiTec 5954MG on the rudder, standard JR 537 on throttle, JR tx and rx
Note on control throws: I like twitchy quick airplanes. So my "low rates" are actually set to GP's suggested "High Rates", and my high rates are set to GP's suggested "3D Rates"

==========================

Bottom line:

Absolutely a wonderful ARF, with VERY few "issues" in the build, and those easily overcomable (as noted in previous post). Flies like a dream, doesn't do ANYTHING you don't tell it to, but does EVERYTHING you tell it to with authority and quickness. Probably the best $1,000 (all up) I've ever spent in this hobby.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.