Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 Great Planes 25% Yak 81" 12-lb, seen on Fly3D Magazine >

Great Planes 25% Yak 81" 12-lb, seen on Fly3D Magazine

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great Planes 25% Yak 81" 12-lb, seen on Fly3D Magazine

Old 03-03-2006, 11:00 AM
My Feedback: (150)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes 25% Yak 81" 12-lb, seen on Fly3D Magazine

check out the stuff from Fromeco.... Excellent equip, and reasonable. I agree, on this small airframe it is not worth a duel setup, you will also paying a weight penalty.
ORIGINAL: Hajduk

I really would like to use redundant battery system on my Yak. However, it appears to be very expensive. Duralite Powerbox 40/16 $250, 2 X Li Ion 2000maH batteries $100, Charger $100, Balancer $40!! Total is whopping $500 !!!!!

Is there any more affordable solution?
Old 03-03-2006, 11:33 AM
My Feedback: (18)

check out the stuff from Fromeco.... Excellent equip, and reasonable. I agree, on this small airframe it is not worth a duel setup, you will also paying a weight penalty.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Hajduk

I really would like to use redundant battery system on my Yak. However, it appears to be very expensive. Duralite Powerbox 40/16 $250, 2 X Li Ion 2000maH batteries $100, Charger $100, Balancer $40!! Total is whopping $500 !!!!!

Is there any more affordable solution?
I believe that a redundant battery system is a must for any plane 25% or larger. Also the new failsafe switches are a good investment taking in consideration we sometimes have at least $1500 to $2000 invested in a 1/4 scale model. It buys you a lot of peace of mind. Remember most radio failures are due to either battery failure, or switch failures. The weight penalty is not a valid argument because most of the new LiIon technology batteries will weigh a fraction of the weight of a similar capacity (mAh) NiMh pack. With dual 2400mAh packs you are effectively getting 4800mAh, and that's a lot of 15 minute flights without the worry of toping your on-board batteries. Duralite systems are good, but are designed for the top end IMAC competitors flying 40% planes. That’s why they are so expensive. And you will find that even at that level many top names are using [link=http://www.fromeco.org/]FROMECO[/link] batteries, and [link=http://www.smart-fly.com/]Smart-Fly [/link] equipment. Their prices are very competitive and their product and Technical support are first class.

Bob Ritchey at Smart-Fly is in the process of designing a Power Isolator box designed for specifically for %25 gas powered planes. This unit besides providing fully isolated and regulated redundant power supplies and failsafe switch will incorporate an Ignition kill switch. It may be available by this summer. Hajduk If you want more specific information send me a private e-mail and I can help you design an inexpensive bulletproof system.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:40 AM

quote:

ORIGINAL: AirTech
For that reason, and to maintain a low wing loading I think the BME 55 is definitely an overkill.
quote:

I am going with an Evolution 45GX with BCM inverted wraparound Pitts muffler.
I am on the list for BME 55cc. According to released spescs, BMA is lighter and less expensive then 45GX. Where am I going wrong?
If the new BME 55 is less than 2.84 pounds, and produces over 5.2 HP @ 6200 RPM, more power to you.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:20 PM

Hey guys, thought this might come in handy for anyone building this bird.... I did not like the way the stab gets installed, so here's a trick we used on the GP Patty extra thread.....
On the bottom of the Yak, there is a non sheeted area right over the Stab.... i simply cut this open to allow access to the stab. turned the plane over and proceded to set up the stab with typical tip to tip measuring and tip to aeileron to stab tip measurments. After i was satisfied, i "tacked it with thin c/a to hold it in place. Then i flipped it over and mixed up a half shot glass of epoxy, and NEATLY poured it down the stab and let it oozze down creating a nice "fillet" then after allowing it to cure i just mixed up a little more and syringed some over the top and let it ooze over the top creating another fillet on top of the stab. end result? STRONG! and need not to mention CLEAN! No epoxy all over the outer stab while sliding it in and while you are trying to clean it all off are pushing it all over the place screwing up your centering.... I am very happy now knowing this stab is rock solid!

Got lucky today as well.... Snatched up a D/A-50 for this bird from Troy Built models. I talked with Brian Huff over at D/A today and he said they are still 3 weeks out yet. But they did just fill some backorders, I called Cheif aircraft and they said yes they just got them in but they were already gone as their backorder list for the D/A-50 is a mile long. Sooo, a quick call to Troy Built and luckily i found out they had just this mornig recieved some fitys from D/A but they are also backordered.... he then said he has a couple he can let go so wheew, i got lucky! I decided i just don't want to wait 2 months for the BME. I am still on the list and will still get the New 55 but i'll throw that in a future project, I can't wait to fly this YAK!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11862.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	419563  
Old 03-03-2006, 09:59 PM

If the new BME 55 is less than 2.84 pounds, and produces over 5.2 HP @ 6200 RPM, more power to you.
2.1 lbs is advertised weight for that BME 55 cc engine. BME does not list HP, but I am sure that 55 cc engine will develope at list 5.2 HP.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:11 PM

quote:

2.1 lbs is advertised weight for that BME 55 cc engine. BME does not list HP, but I am sure that 55 cc engine will develope at list 5.2 HP.
That sure is an engeenering feat. What is this pupy built off? Must be a new spage age material,
maybe a combination of Magnesium and Titanium? And at that price ($550), that is a real bargain.

It will be nice to see actual prop/RPM stats before spending the cash.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:20 AM

That sure is an engeenering feat. What is this pupy built off? Must be a new spage age material,
maybe a combination of Magnesium and Titanium? And at that price ($550), that is a real bargain.
I can not comment on this until I weigh it. I have a digital postal scale so, as soon as I put my hands on the engine you all will know how heavy it is.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:22 AM

ORIGINAL: 3-D Flyer
I did not like the way the stab gets installed, so here's a trick we used on the GP Patty extra thread.....
This is an excelent tip. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2006, 09:46 AM

quote:

I can not comment on this until I weigh it. I have a digital postal scale so, as soon as I put my hands on the engine you all will know how heavy it is.
Hey Hajduk,

You are problably correct as far as the weight and power goes. I have a buddy in Austin TX. that knows Keith at BME. Last year he bought a BME110 Extreme directly from him and Keith told him the 55 was going to be half of the 110 Extreme. According to my friend the 110 have an insane ammount of power, and it weights only 3.9 Lb!! So 2.1 Lb for the 55 is very credible, and problably it's going to have tons of power. If I were you I'll wait for this baby to be available, it will fly the GP Yak like a feather.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:26 AM

That is a bare weight tho..... still have to add in ignition, standoffs, battery, switch. However it is still impressive. The only thing that has me concerned is it is going to be paper thin! I talked w/ Brian Huffmeir at D/A yesterday and he tells me that is how they are achiveing that. But on the flip side he said heat disapation will be interesting.(a possible problem) I also heard these are being manufactured in China, hummmm. That's why i decided to stick w/ a proven engine for now... Don't take me wrong, this will also be my first BME and Keith seems to be a great guy.... but i'm curious what the customer service will be like on these things if there are problems. I am on my 4th D/A, this being my second 50 and i get that warm feeling knowing it'll be all good if anything goes wrong.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:04 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Jamie, What yaks did ya'll go with? This Gp one looks great. I hope it doesn't end up being a dog with the fuji 43. I'll have it done by next weekend.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:30 PM
My Feedback: (8)

If it is a dog we'll put the turtle 52 in it. (taurus 52) That will wake up any 50cc size plane. I got the 33% aviation models, Kent got the QQ 85" and Steve got the new one from Wild Hare. Mine is on the building board at Kents house.
Jamie
Old 03-04-2006, 01:09 PM
My Feedback: (31)

Well I was a little dissapointed because there is a 3 week waiting list for the DA-50. I went to my LHS to buy some minor stuff for the plane and there she was a NEW DA-50 in the case, I tought I was dreaming!

I told the clerk to pass that baby to me I'm taking her home. Has anybody mounted a DA-50 on this plane yet?

Anyways I probably got the last one for the next couple of weeks

See Ya
Old 03-04-2006, 04:17 PM

That is a bare weight tho..... still have to add in ignition, standoffs, battery, switch. However it is still impressive. The only thing that has me concerned is it is going to be paper thin! I talked w/ Brian Huffmeir at D/A yesterday and he tells me that is how they are achiveing that. But on the flip side he said heat disapation will be interesting.(a possible problem) I also heard these are being manufactured in China, hummmm. That's why i decided to stick w/ a proven engine for now... Don't take me wrong, this will also be my first BME and Keith seems to be a great guy.... but i'm curious what the customer service will be like on these things if there are problems. I am on my 4th D/A, this being my second 50 and i get that warm feeling knowing it'll be all good if anything goes wrong.
I also wonder how they got such a low weight. The folks at Evolution (MVVS) used a magnesium crakcase and they were only able to thin the weight down to 2.8 Lb. It will be interesting to see how well heat disipation works on an extremely thin case. I will not worry about the parts coming from China. I understand that DA get their parts from the same Chinese manufacturer that suplies BME, and that's why maybe they are both runing behind in their engines. What will be interesting to see is how well Keith will keep up with service support and warranty repairs if something goes wrong with the 55 since he runs a one man operation.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:47 PM

That was exactly Brian's comment!

I am installing a D/A-50 in mine.... mine will be here next week. Just finished hinging everything today, waiting for my servos to get here now
Old 03-04-2006, 05:53 PM

Beutifull! This plane has to fly great with the DA-50

later
Old 03-04-2006, 07:44 PM

I forgot where i read it.... possibly on the Giants..... But i heard Frank Noll flew his with a D/A-50 and said it flew great and was overpowered.....

Sounds PERFECT!

I have a D/A-50 on my H-9 Extra 260, very similar planes if you compare the 2.... I love it! If this thing flys anything like my 260, i will be very pleased!
Old 03-04-2006, 08:34 PM

Hey 3DFlier

How are you going to mount your rudder sevo?
Old 03-05-2006, 08:08 AM

single Hitec 5955tg in the rear.....
Old 03-05-2006, 08:57 AM
My Feedback: (10)

[quote]ORIGINAL: AirTech

Just picked up my GP Yak today at the LHS, and it's a thing of beauty. The metallic colors look terrific, and if it the wing colors were reversed it will look exactly like Eric Beard (RIP) Russian Thunder, Embbry Riddle sponsor Yak 54. A real big loss to the modeling/aviation community, the untimely dead of of one of our most accomplished air show performer. ( See [link=http://www.russianthunder.com/]Russian Thunder[/link], and [link=http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?ContentBlockID=7468f8ab-f708-4dfc-9f17-cf1a0e58ed17&]Aero-News.Net[/link] article).

AirTech,

Thanks for the links, that is tragic about the Eric. I have the one pic of him w/ the Russian Thunder as my wall paper, just looking at the details, do you know of anyone making that louvered cowl ring??? That would be a nice scale addition to the model.

Mac
Old 03-05-2006, 09:24 AM

Hey Hajduk,
You are problably correct as far as the weight and power goes.
I am as skeptical as everybody else about the weight of this BME engine. As soon as I get it, I will weigh it on my digital postal scale.

If I were you I'll wait for this baby to be available, it will fly the GP Yak like a feather.
That is my plan. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:28 PM

AirTech,

Thanks for the links, that is tragic about the Eric. I have the one pic of him w/ the Russian Thunder as my wall paper, just looking at the details, do you know of anyone making that louvered cowl ring??? That would be a nice scale addition to the model.

Mac
I have tough about that also, but don't have any idea where to get the cowl air intake shutters. The Russian built M-14 series engines use these shutters to control the engine temperature. They open and close like a camera lens diaphragm do, and are very hard to build functional ones. If you decide to build a similar system it must be permanently set fully open in order to provide adequate cooling. It will probably be too much work and aggravation to recreate.

One other thing that may look a lot more scale is the spinner shape. If you look at a full size Yak 54's one will notice their spinners are elongated and bullet shaped, more like P-51 spinners but they extend further to the rear. (See Photos). I suppose a P-51 spinner will do, and if you build a special, longer, or thicker (?) backplate it will look even better, but you will need a late to do that. One other thing is the carburetor intake box underneath the cowl. In the GP Yak is completely missing, but that’s another difficult project.

P.S. I found this awesome video http://www.abellrc.com/Videos/haute_voltige.wmv . It features the Hungarian aerobat and Red Bull Air race competitor Peter Besenyei, doing some insane moves in his Edge 540 TK, and Svetlana Kapanina 2005 World Aerobatic Female Champion flying a Sukhoi 31 at an air show in Motegi, Japan in 2002. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22195.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	420879  
Old 03-06-2006, 01:28 AM

AT,

Fixed mounted would be fine! Correct me if I am wrong, but it might help cooling if you blocked some of that massive intake. I was looking closely at the 3D flyer preview of the Yak and noticed the REALLY hacked the krap out of the bottom of the cowl, they have an OS160 in there.....wonder why???

I had mine out of the box (again) just to admire it, it is a beauty.

I THINK I am going to put the Saito 220 in mine......not sure though. I still have a F90 that needs the radio/servos set up, cover a Sig SE, and start a Showtime... so I have time to let you all know what might be best.

Thanks for the dialog!

Mac
Old 03-06-2006, 01:34 AM

that vid rocks. I had a vid of Michael Goullian (sp?), lost it when my computer crashed......any one else seen this?? It's sorta an interview/show clips...
Old 03-06-2006, 10:04 AM

McD,

I don't think the cowl shutters will improve cooling. What I understand is that on scale model cowls, for every square inch of air intake area, you should provide three square inches of outlet area in order to maintain good air flow. On the Yak 54 cowl that will be almost impossible, having so much intake area. That's why some folks hack huge holes on the bottom of the cowl. Maybe by restricting the intake, you won't need such large outlet holes to improve cooling (?).

Full size engine compartments for flat (four or six cylinder) engines are baffled in order to create a low pressure area on the exhaust side, and improve air flow over all cylinders. Radial engines have all cylinders exposed to the air current, and are more difficult to control their temperature. Radials tend to run too cool and some (full size) engine manufacturers recommend diluting the cooling oil for winter flying. In the case of Sukhoi and Yak they use cowl shutters to control the cylinders exposure to the incoming cooling air current. To create the necessary low pressure exhaust they have many exhaust louvers on the rear area of the cowl. It will be somewhat experimental trying to install cowl shutters in the scale model Yak, and you will need to open up all those tiny scale exhaust louvers. To say the least “a real labor of love”. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.