Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Twist - Wing Attachment

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Hangar 9 Twist - Wing Attachment

Old 11-25-2005, 04:14 AM
Synapse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Twist - Wing Attachment

Hey guys, first off, this is my first 3D airplane... please forgive my ignorance.

Anyway, I just bought the Twist Plug-and-Play version (building a heli and foamy, so no more time for another build) and have been getting it ready for its first flight. Two things are giving me problems though:
1) The bolt used to attach the wing to the fuse worries me. Its nylon and I'm just finding it a little hard to trust it. Has anyone had any problems with this bolt vibrating loose in flight and/or stripping out?
2) The throws on the control surfaces listed in the manual cause the elevator to bind up before reaching the recommended "high rate" of 2 inces. Its as if the hinge joint just can't bend any further. Is everyone else using that much for their controls?

Also, while we are talking about deflection measurements, does anyone have any recommendations for a good device to measure that with? The one I've got is a POS. :P

Thanks for any info!

-Lee
Old 11-25-2005, 05:11 AM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist - Wing Attachment

I also have the twist PNP dont worry about the wing bolt, just make sure not to way overtighten it, and also never run 30% nitro in the Evolution it will dead stick you everytime.
The evolution is a good motor but i ended up putting a OS 46AX in mine. Using the evo on a GP Dazzler now. Other then that have fun with it, its one of the funest easy to fly plane's in my hangar and iv got over 30 flights on her already.
Also best prop for this plane and motor is gonna be a APC 12 1/4 x 3 3/4
Old 11-25-2005, 06:28 PM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

Synapse,

I don't know if the wing bolt being used in the PNP version is the same as the ARF but if it is I suggest replacing it if you don't think it is right. The wing bolt in my ARF would pull right out of the blind nut without too much pressure. When I found this I immediately replaced mine with a DuBro replacement. It is worth the piece of mind when you see what this plane is capable of! When the Twist first came out many people found their ARF had this same problem.

Replacing the blind nut is easy. Use a soldering iron to heat up the stock blind nut. This will soften the clue and allow it to pop right out. Then it is just a matter of gluing in the replacement blind nut and using the new bolt.

On the deflection question are you sure you didn't glue the hinges with the gaps too tight? The throws on my ARF are larger than the recommended high rates in the manual. Don't forget, the rates in the manual are simply a safe starting point. If I remember correctly, the manual has you place a T-pin through each hinge while gluing so the gap is set correctly.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:26 PM
Synapse

FlyerBry,

The bolt doesn't pull out or anything, I was just thinking about going metal. I asked around with the guys at the local club and had them check it out... according to them it should be fine. I put 3 flights on it yesterday without a problem, so hopefully it will be ok. I'll keep an eye on it though.

As for the deflection, the hinges were already glued, but you are right, they are too tight. For the time being its ok though since I'm not getting into the 3D side just yet. When the time comes I guess I'll have to try to trim away the wood that is binding or compress it with a small flathead screwdriver. *shrug*

Thanks for all the help and advice!

-Lee